1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Bushcrafters Meet in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Events' started by crawford1775, Jul 19, 2011.

1. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Be seeing all you there. I picked up 15 ears of corn to throw in the coals, a bag of potatoes and a bag of onions and mixed up a few bags of bannock mix to play with. I doubt we will go hungry.

2. TomNickell

TomNickell Scout

Blog Posts:
    You fellas enjoy yourselves! I gotta work.

3. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haha, sounds about like me, just smaller portions. I'm going to see about doing some of my Oklahoma Stir Fry in a cast iron skillet.

Ha, I'm excited, can't wait to get out in the woods.

4. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like no overnighters for me this weekend.

If you guys don't mind me crashing camp and everything settles down around here I may try to bring my son down tomorrow just to visit for a little while. I really would like to put some names with the faces around here.

SDS

5. Myers.scouts

Myers.scouts Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good, hope to see you tomarrow.

6. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Come on down tomorrow, but take care of the family first. Its 0930 so I am headed out. See whoever there in a couple of hours. Signing off for a few fun days.

7. Hondo Lane

Hondo Lane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    T-minus 45 minutes............

8. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll be headed out in roughly 4 hours (stupid school...). My dad is sick and won't be able to make it however.

9. Mr. Guy

Mr. Guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep, PB's right. My daughter, the generous soul she is, thought it would be great to share her flu with me. Right now I can barely stand up without holding on to something. Doesn't sound like a great way to spend a weekend in the woods. But if I'm feeling better tomorrow, I may make it down for Saturday night.

I was really looking forward to this, if she wasn't so cute I'd wring her dang neck. LOL Well maybe not.

Hope to see ya tomorrow.

Guy

10. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well, I had to head home early to help with the family due to the earth quakes, but I had a blast Friday night, nice to put faces with names.

Hopefully we can get another one set up sometime soon?

11. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    How is everything? Hopefully not too much to get everything put back:41:

12. snareman

snareman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    no quake damage in western ok, but it was felt my wife said it shook things around a few seconds, LOL. PB Crazy lets know how your doing .

13. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We're doing fine. I spent most of the day Saturday trying to patch up my girlfriend's house after the first quake, only to have it hit again during the second one. It was damaged to the extent that it's uninhabitable now. My house was only 3 miles away, and thankfully all we suffered was a bunch of broken jars and some strained nerves.

We're working on clean up and repair now, still getting small earthquakes/aftershocks every once in a while.

14. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    PB, sounds like a pain. Hope you guys are hanging in there. Not sure I have a lot to offer up but if there is anything you need give me a shout.

SDS

15. lepercan

lepercan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Felt the dance all the way over here in Poteau on the East side of the state. Just a dance, though, nothing fell or was hurt at my place.
    Lep

16. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the offer, but I think we've got it covered. Our "Quake-Count" has gotten up to 24 since the original 4.7 quake Saturday morning. So far everything is holding together, but if it gets any worse...

*EDIT: Woops, make that 25, just had another one come through, saw the entire house shake.

**EDIT: Geeze, I didn't even get to hit "Submit," make that 26...

edit again, make that 30 now...

:51::19:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  17. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    PB, thats crazy man. I didn't realize the aftershocks were still coming. I have some friends that live over near Shawnee and they said that they felt the aftershocks all night long. The wife is pretty edgy over the whole thing.

Are the aftershocks still causing damage or are they mostly just light tremors??

Forgot to apologize for not making it down on Saturday to meet folks. When I started out of here in the morning to do some Cub Scout stuff the transmission went out on my truck. It's in the shop now. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out how bad the sticker shock is going to be on this one. If it's not one thing it's another. I guess at least I wasn't all the way down in Lexington when it went out on me.

SDS

18. Okbushcraft

Okbushcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for not getting to come to the meet. The Mrs's work changed all of our plans by sending her out of town last week and again this week. She was only here for almost two days this weekend and we needed to get some things caught up. Oh wait-she's already gone and they are still in disaray...I need a break... when is the next one?

19. Pbcrazy

Pbcrazy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @SDS: Aye, crazy is right. We've gotten over half of our average years worth of quakes in the past 36 hours! Haha. They're mostly just nerve racking tremors. Most of them appear to be around the 3.3 range. No damage done to our house, but I'll honestly be surprised if the gf's house is still standing in the morning. It's a 75 year old house built right on top of the epicenters. Luckily they've got another place to stay, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Sorry to hear bout the transmission, hopefully everything will be in order so you can make it next time.

@Okbushcraft: np man, we know how that is. I don't know bout everyone else, but give me a day to straighten and sort out my gear and I'll be ready to go again (school allowing...).

20. golfer1555

golfer1555 Scout

Blog Posts:
    man it sucks that i missed this ill have to make sure to have more reminders next time i see this come back up

21. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    we talked some about February. I dont know why it couldn't be sooner and again in Feb; huh?

I'm not a big-time socializer, but when you do it. It is a mighty fine time. Possibly we could have several(a couple, another one) close together, to give more folks a chance to come.

Then when we get a little more organized settle into 4 times a year. One for each season:41:

22. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I will be going back up to the place I was talking about in a couple of weeks, about 6 miles from Dibble junction, 45 minutes from OKC. Just spend a night or two, check out the place a little better maybe clean up around the cabin. I will let everyone know when I pick the date and anyone will be welcome. 160 acres and you can drive to the main camp with no problem, then camp wherever you like.

23. wulfesinger67

wulfesinger67 Guide

Blog Posts:
    sounds good not far away might have to check it out!

24. Steven673

Steven673 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Where do you guys practice your skills?

Doesn't look like this thread has had much use in a while but do any of you Okies know of any good places to practice bushcraft skills? I'm in the Chickasha area and it seems that if you don't have access to private land we are pretty limited to modern camp sites and no fires in most of the public wildlife land.

25. Woodland Viper

Woodland Viper Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone. I am new to bushcrafting and live in Norman. I am also wondering the same thing as steven673. Where are some good places to practice these skills? Hope this thread becomes more active again.

26. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm unfamiliar with Chickasha, but o do a lot of work around Elk City. There's a few state parks, and the Black Kettle National Grasslands on the border with the TX panhandle. Lake Lugert Altus is a popular place with lots of trails, but I don't know about its restrictions. Then there's the FBM lands scattered around. 2 off the top of my head, Packsaddle Wildlife Area, and Sandy Sanderson Wildlife management area. Might be worth looking into for y'all.

27. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Keep an eye to the Events forum. I'm currently exploring spots to have a huge meetup in far southern Colorado toward the end of the summer, in the San Isabel national forest. I'd like to draw people from Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc.

28. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have access to private land about 30 miles from Chickasha that my cousin and I camp on a lot in the winter. We had a couple of OK meets there already, plenty of wood but no water. I will probably be going in a few weeks and will post it up for everyone.

29. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Keep me in the loop! [emoji106]

30. okie redneck

okie redneck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Chickasaw national recreation area blue river in tishimingo is very good also is gorgeous amazing trout fishing guaranteed to catch one every time you cast and the last is big cedar lake in the quachita national forest.

31. Twig

Twig Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know this is from a long time ago but it would be cool to have an okie meet up i'm near Muskogee on 20 acres of untouched land not even a mile form the Arkansas river. Greenleaf state park is about 4 miles away with a 18 mile hiking trail.

32. okie redneck

okie redneck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wouldnt be hard to do but I woukdnt be able to go lol as im only 16

33. OKWoodzman

OKWoodzman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tell me when and where bro, im always down and got nothin but time..

34. Thejeepster

Thejeepster Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I am up in NW Arkansas in Bentonville but I would love to come down and hang for a weekend or something.

Maybe start some kind of small bushcrafters rendezvous or something.

35. Brushogger

Brushogger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Try along the river west of I35. You can walk in near the corner where Lindsey cuts north into 36th st. Lots of plants to identify, drift wood,trails, etc. We've built many small fires out on the sand there. I've also experimented with some small thatched A frame shelters using the tall grasses that grow down there. There's no pine trees, but occasionally you can find a dead cedar that makes a lesser grade fat wood. It makes great kindling. There are also a few stands of river cane. The fishing in the river is surprising too in the pools. I'll be keeping my eyes open for local meets.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  36. Woodland Viper

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking at that exact area for a few years now. I have hiked the east side of I35 along the river and have been attacked by sand flies. Do you know of the homeless that live along the river stretch that far west to the area you just described?

37. ok bowhunter

ok bowhunter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would also be in for some bush crafting. Have you looked into the Lexington hunting range? I'm new to Bush Crafting but willing to learn and live in central OK.

38. Brushogger

Brushogger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There are some homeless camped in that area, but they stay pretty much consolidated in one area up in the more wooded portion. Never had an issue with them, but I don't encroach on them either. Most are in "blue tarp" shelters or small tents. This time of year the sand flies aren't an issue. At night, on the weekends especially, there are quite a few 4wds and atvs on the sand. During the day the area is pretty much deserted. I usually walk in at Cherry Creek park as it's in my neighborhood. There is a trail in the back that leads to the river. It's at 530 Stonewell. Once you get west of there, you're out of the homeless camp (which isn't huge by any means). I also carry my own water in as the Canadian river runs through many agricultural areas where chemicals and fertilizers are used and there is a lot of runoff. My filter won't take those out.

39. NYIrish83

NYIrish83 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm down for this, 30 miles in what direction? I'm from Wichita Falls, TX

40. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Keep an eye out. I plan on having another get together at Copper Breaks or another semi local spot for a few of us in the area.

But if fire65 beats me to it, I'll be heading that way too. Either way, I'd share the fire with him any day.

41. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I talked to my cousin last night about picking a date within the next few weeks. It is a 100 acre farm with lots of trees and a small pond, totally private land. We do have a place to shoot and a trap thrower also.
    Pull up Dibble OK, it is about 5 miles South of there. There is a store at Dibble and a rest room if needed.

42. NYIrish83

NYIrish83 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm interested, let us know!

43. TerBear

TerBear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dibble is just right around the corner from me. I'm in Blanchard.

As for those living in Norman and want a close place to go for some woods time you might try George M. Sutton Wilderness Park.

http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/parks/george-m-sutton-wilderness-park

You can't do any over nighters but you can have fun exploring all the different paths that run through it. I'm actually taking my Webelos there for a hike in a couple weeks.

44. fire65

fire65 Guide

Blog Posts:

45. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
  46. Myers.scouts

Myers.scouts Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd be there but that is the weekend our scouts are going backpacking/camping. Have fun.

47. Woodland Viper

Blog Posts:
    I see it has been awhile since anyone has posted on here. Is there anyone up in the NE corner of Oklahoma that likes to go out for overnighters? I am looking to start finding places to go to here and in the Ozarks of Arkansas to enjoy some outdoor time.