Bushcrafting area near Beaver Lake?

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by desert scout, Apr 12, 2012.

1. desert scout

desert scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Het guys, my family is having a family reunion on the east side of Beaver Lake mid June. As a am from AZ, i am not familiar with the area. I am looking for a general area to take the kids out and practice bushcraft skills. We also plan to float the Buffalo River as well so any insight would be helpful. Thx

2. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Buffalo is a good float when the water is not too low. With the rain so far this year it should be OK. As far as Beaver Lake area, you should find plenty of places to practice all around you.

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hi Desert Scout!

sounds like you guys are gonna have a good time!

Mostly you are gonna be "up to rain amounts" if you have to deal with any burn bans....which is rare...but it does happen around here....

The islands in the middle of the Buffalo River are fair game for whatever...just use your common sense...and of course water levels will determine how many good spots there are...but usually there are lots of great places to stop and let the family play around with stuff while a campfire lunch is prepared.

The parks around Beaver Lake are plentiful and the folks running them are pretty nice - I mean as long as you stay within reason I can't think a lot problems would be had by your group. Especially if your group has signed up for any of the sites or cabana's, etc....

I'm nont right there, but get up there occasionally- - it's a really beautiful area and (barring some crazy drought!) you should have a great time with few restrictions for bushcrafting type stuff.

http://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/camping/corps/detail.aspx?park=Beaver+Lake+Area

4. desert scout

desert scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys.....yea pretty familiar with burn bans being from the desert southwest! It is funny to us when you guys have burn bans but it is still green! I love the desert but can't wait to try some skills in such a different climate and vegitation. I hope you folks get plenty of rain and few tornadoes this year.

5. Dennis

Dennis Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. ozrkmtnman

ozrkmtnman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live about 25 miles N. of Ponca, the uppermost official put in point on the Buffalo R. Typically, by mid June you will need to go to the middle portion of the river for floating- less whitewater than the upper or middle portions, but still a nice float. If it's fishing you want, hit the lower portion for some excellent smallmouth bass fun.
    If you would like to, PM me a week or so before you plan to hit the Buffalo and I will get you some links that will provide you with up to date info. I'll be glad to help answer any of your questions.

7. desert scout

desert scout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will get in touch as the trip approaches. I would like to get river intel and flow rates right before we leave so it will be most current....suggested put in and take out points. We plan to have kiddos along so rapids are not a concern but don't want to portage the river either!

8. ozrkmtnman

ozrkmtnman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to mention that there is a lot of good bushcrafting opportunities around the Buffalo National R., with thousands of acres of Parkland, including numerous little used hiking trails, all along both sides. At the lower end, where it joins with White R. (excellent trout fishing), there is a large National Park on one side, and a Wilderness Area on the other. Will send you some links for more info soon.

9. matthew6767

matthew6767 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    stopped at beaverlake couple of years ago in august, desided to camp at lost bridge. had set packs in front seats of truck and was playing around looking for flint when a park ranger walked up. He ended up telling us about how he taught at a local school, history i believe. he went on to talk about making arrow heads an tools. There are still some pretty cool people out there.