Bushcrafting is fun

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Mark Knapp, Feb 13, 2019 at 1:10 PM.

1. Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp knife maker and survival enthusiast Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bushcrafting is fun, but please let me ask my fellow bush crafters to;

Be considerate of others, please be quiet in the woods. No loud music, no hollering, no dog barking and no shooting up the place.

Pick up all your garbage, including cigarette butts. Better yet, practice No Impact (trace) Camping.

Please cover your human waste. No body wants to see your "stuff". I have a cat with better manners than some people. When required, carry it out.

Please abide by all state and federal hunting and fishing regulations. Park and wilderness area rules too. Please don't break the laws, they are there for a reason. We all will appreciate it.

Please don't shoot living animals just to shoot them, someone else might want to see it too. Treasure the moment, take a picture and let it live. Unless it's death will serve a purpose, leave it alone. It's life is valuable, it's already serving a purpose.

And..... have fun and, take a kid. Teach them to be responsible.

I'm done now.

2. Sosteve

Sosteve Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is what every responsible bushrafters does

3. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. If you're going to go shoot things (not hunting) shoot them at the gravel pit.

Sosteve, Quinlan, Haggis and 7 others like this.
  4. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great philosophy, leave no trace, and cleaner than when you got there. If you kill it, EAT IT.

Sosteve, Quinlan, Haggis and 7 others like this.
  5. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sounds just like my grandpa, father and uncles.
    Excellent creed to live by...

PaPa K, Sosteve, Quinlan and 6 others like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  7. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    You're preaching to the choir my friend

8. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    Apparently, all of us here ain't in the choir.

9. travis.winegar

travis.winegar Nearly a Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My neighbor got super mad at me for this!

Apparently cows are expensive...

Sosteve, Quinlan, MrFixIt and 9 others like this.
  10. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know anyone on the forum that supports wanton destruction of wildlife, littering or loud music in the woods. Other "normal" people maybe

11. Yankeebigfoot

Yankeebigfoot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm new to the bushcraft community but was raised in a small town with basically just woods to explore for the first 10 years of my life(we didnt even have a gas station if i remember correctly). these guidelines were basically how i was raised, so i suppose i forget how people who werent raised to treat the outdoors that way sometimes are sometimes clueless.

On this point i use wireless earbuds that are normally noise cancelling but have a setting on my phone to allow me to use a dial to select the level of ambient noise they allow through. I find that i can listen to my music without bothering anyone AND it actually picks up and enhances noises i would never hear normally if set at 100% pass through.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    Sosteve, MrFixIt, LazyPK and 2 others like this.
  12. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    I won't name names, but there are some among us. I'm just trying to re-enforce some of these values in a nice way.

13. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What? After all the money I invested in my portable boom-box with built in disco light show.... now you tell me?
    Grumble.

14. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agree with OP. HOWEVER, I will be playing my guitar and/or my harmonica in the evening around the campfire. If that bothers you, you’ll need to move on down the trail. Doc.

15. S.Decker

S.Decker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just so long as it doesn't sound like a bobcat that got stuck in a baby grand, I can live with it.

Sosteve, MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and 2 others like this.
  16. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got my own creed in the bush, but I’m assuredly not ethnocentric.

I bump into the ethnocentrics in the BWCA sometimes,,, they freely, and often aggressively, offer all of the answers to none of my questions. Never did see a fella move through the bush without leaving some sign of his passing,,, some leave more sign than others, but they all alter their surroundings and/or leave something behind.

If my experience is going to be ruined by sign of another’s passing, it be few places left on this planet I could visit without my delicate nature being offended...

Everyone HTOH, and that’s how it should be, and if I take issue with how the other fella behaves in the bush, the issue is mine to deal with, not his...

17. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very few of us here are doing abbreviated parts of sentences in Elizbethan English. Well done sir!

x39, Sosteve, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  18. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me it's just not being in the wood or working on my skills or even gear. For me it's about spending time real quit time with the Lord there is no kids, pets, or any background sounds to stop me. Just the Good Lord an I one on one in a place that he made. There is nothing like it being out there have a small fire a pot of water going for some hot tea and just sitting there praying reading the good word and just talking with the Lord that is the best and fun times there. Prov 27:17

19. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps the result of being a history major and of being too frequently alone with old and dusty books? Or too often reading the King James Bible or some work of Shakespeare?

Or maybe, as my former students would often say, I’m old enough to remember when history was current events...

In any event, whilst in the bush, I look only to my own affairs...

Beach Hiker, Paul Caruso, x39 and 3 others like this.
  20. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    That's the story of my life!

21. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    Now that's different.

Paul Caruso, TWill, Sosteve and 3 others like this.
  22. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what HTOH means, it's not in the urban dictionary.

I think you know what I mean. It would depend on how others behave in the woods as to weather or not I take issue with it. It's not a free for all.

Many people do practice No Trace Camping, it's a thing, but that's not what I expect of others in the woods. That was a "Better Yet". In the Boundary Waters Canoe Area it would be very easy to leave no trace of your passing because the trails are already well worn and the camping sites are established in most places. Two seconds after you left, no one would know you were there.

All the other things are just common courtesy. I wouldn't want a neighbor that does that stuff and I don't want him in the woods either. Maybe that's a good rule of thumb, if you wouldn't want your neighbor to do it in town, don't do it in the woods.

Paul Caruso, Sosteve, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  23. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    You sound quite sophisticated and educated but if you want others to know what you are trying to say, perhaps you would not use acronyms from old English. Or at least parenthesize it's meaning. I think you're disagreeing with me but I'm not sure. If so, you are the only one so far, out of the likes I've gotten and positive responses on this thread.

24. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    HTOH = hikes their own hike. It ain't hard folks..

25. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mark,

I can't disagree with anything stated in the OP. I've had to deal with folks blaring music and hooting and hollering late into the night. As a rule I now camp well away from places that can be accessed by vehicles. Unfortunately that trip I got to the trailhead late. On the upside I did take a kid. I do my best to clean up after myself and tech my kids to do the same. Generally I end up with a bag full of my own trash as well as others. Funny how often the trash packed out from others exceeds my own. I don't have knowledge of anyone on this forum who would act that way but I've seen plenty of evidence along the way. It's one thing to see lost clothing left on a branch along the trail in the hopes that the owner will come along and find it (I swear people are hiking naked all the time and I always just miss it) and a bottle, can, or other trash discarded randomly in the middle of relatively pristine wilderness. Other things I've seen have been cut trees, camp sites where camping is prohibited, graffiti in scenic areas including stuff left by Scout Troops, TP left sitting around, and trash in the fire rings.

Just as a public service announcement tin cans don't burn up in the fire. Pack them out and toss them in the recycling. Just about every fire ring I've come across has had at least one tin can sitting in it.

26. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thought of this thread today as my daughter and I took a little walk in the nearby state park. Loads of trash everywhere. I forgot a bag but still collected about a dozen shotgun hulls, 3 beer cans, 2 bottles and a baby binky. We left footprints, some sawdust by a fallen tree that was blocking the path, a small cigar butt and a few broken twigs.
    I think "No impact" might not be realistic every time but you can always pick up more litter than you leave behind. I weigh my cigar butt against the trash I packed out.
    I believe I am net positive in my impact on that park.
    We all HOOH. (Hike our own hike)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 2:56 PM
  27. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that, I went through three pages of Google and nobody on the internet knew. On the up side, I now know what every other possible meaning that HTOH could be.

28. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hiketh thou ownst hike

29. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Actually I guess it should be thine instead of thou

30. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m not agreeing with you either.

I go into the bush to enjoy as much as I can of what it has to offer, not to be some sort of self appointed guardian, nor to judge the actions of others.

People enjoy their dogs, dogs bark, some folk are naturally loud, other folk have ears, and any folk spending much time out there, are gonna poo...

A while back someone here posted a story of a woman who was hiking the Appalachian Trail, had to poo, wandered back off the trail a ways to hide her “business”. She ended up lost and starved to death,,, over a pile of poo. Lost her life rather than offend the delicate sensibility of some LNT passer by.

Winterhorse, Ragman, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  31. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hikest thou thine own hike?
    Or
    Hike thine own hike.

:):)

32. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    I'm not saying don't poo, I'm saying cover your poo. It's easy. I didn't mean to say no barking, (although I did) I meant to say everyone knows what reasonable is and a dog barking incessantly is not reasonable.

I don't think I'm the self-appointed camping police, but society must police itself. People need to get along and have some consideration for the people around them (in whatever they do, not just camping).

I wish you well my friend. Where are you going to be camping this summer? You won't see signs of my passing. :):D

33. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Scout

Blog Posts:
    So far all my bushcrafting has been and is being done on my own land so it is kept pristine. That is the way I will do it on public land also, it's not mine, it's OURS. Remember that and all's good.

34. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    By the way, I meant to say that I am very sorry that a woman died. I think rather than blame it on an overly "delicate sensibility of some LNT" lets just say she was out of her element. She may have not wanted any one else to see her business. you can't know what was in her head. It could be she didn't want anyone else to see her doing her business. None of us like that to happen.

I can't help but add, it's kind of ironic that I feel like you are judging me right now. You didn't come right out and say it but you have implied that I may be an ethnocentric, I have a delicate nature, the problem is my own, I'm a some sort of self appointed guardian, and have the delicate sensibility of some LNT.

Just curious, where would you draw the line on what is acceptable behavior of others camping in the woods near you?

Enjoying talking to you.

35. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’m only responsible for my actions, not for the actions of others. If I didn’t like my neighbors, I’d move.

I’m not judging you, but rather suggesting that most anyone will enjoy themselves more if they just tend after their own affairs, and let other folk be...

36. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    No, I would enjoy myself more if I didn't have to see peoples poop and pick up their garbage and see (and smell) wantonly killed animals.

You are assuming that I don't let other people be. I have never gotten into anyone else face about this stuff, that would not be pleasant. This here is my way of handling it.

You know, there are zoning restrictions in town and rules in wilderness areas that cover all the things I'm talking about. I'm only asking people to comply with rules that society has decided was for the better good.

So far you are still the only desentor.

Paul Caruso and Haggis like this.
  37. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Fallbrook Forge Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No hollerin, no dogs, no shooting.

That's a whole lot of no's.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 6:45 PM
  38. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    You gotta be kidding me, you haven't budged an inch in this discussion and you expect me to believe that you would move from your house if someone moved into the house next to you and did something socially unacceptable. I'm sorry, I don't believe you. You sound like a "Stand your ground" kind of guy.

Haggis likes this.
  39. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    No, I didn't say no dogs. I bring my dog where ever I go but she rarely barks, and she doesn't keep other campers awake at night. I didn't say no shooting. I said, don't shoot up the place. People get shot every year in camp grounds. Certainly you must know I didn't mean no shooting in a hunting situation. And yes, I don't think adults need to be hollering in a camp ground.

Are you OK with all those things? If so you are only the second among 40 or so others.

happywanderer and Haggis like this.
  40. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    I'm going ice fishing tomorrow so I will leave this discussion to you fine folks. At least when I go ice fishing at 30 below zero, I don't have to worry about any one pooping and shooting the joint up. And, it will be very quite, just how I like it.

41. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In truth, because she didn't bother to carry a compass and learn how to take a back azimuth which would have put her back on the trail. I lay the fault for that entirely at her own feet.

42. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    What a man does in the woods with sasquatch, a quart of vodka, and a bottle of thousand island dressing, is his own business.

The woods are for all of us to enjoy in however way we please so long as you don't go out of your way to annoy, disturb others, or cause wanton destruction to the environment.

It belongs to all of us.

Happy Valentine's Day BCUSA. :3:

43. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I've noticed those clothes too. And they're never my size...

Should these be added to the acronym list? ? Lol

44. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    @Mark Knapp
    Haggis is a good guy. He's one of the folks here I'd love to spend a few days in the woods with.
    I'm not speaking for Haggis here, but I will say this:
    Liiving a bushcraft experience in the woods will indeed leave traces.
    A few real world examples: setting trap lines will usually alter small animal runs over time. I have seen this with my own eyes enough to be able to predict it.
    Getting winter fur bearers in also means a considerable amount of hauling stuff in, and out. There's pretty much no way you're not going to be making new trail.
    Using a snow machine will also alter the landscape. Tiny, practically invisible pine tops are often the tops of young trees buried under the snow. They can and do get topped, forever altering how they grow.
    And getting a moose out of the woods, whatever your technique, is going to leave traces.
    And this is barely the tip of the iceberg. Winter camps leave a big footprint: wood, fire, ground melt, etc etc. I have seen my winter camping spots still identifiable in summer because of footprint.
    Even summer camping leaves visible traces. I usually spend about a week camping in wild meadow land. The tent floor leaves a long lasting impression a satellite could see.
    Also, when walking through wild meadow you naturally create a completely visible trail. There's no other way unless you can fly.
    The same is true with wild forest. It's impossible to move forward without making a trail. If you're lucky you can find a usable animal run, but often not. And then there's your daily living..... getting logs for the fire and so on. Yeah, trees get cut up and burnt. It makes a big imprint. Even processing dead fall leaves lots of evidence.
    Haggis practically lives in the woods. He knows of what he speaks. He's not trying to argue with you.... he's just contributing his perspective.
    We don't all have to agree.

45. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Signature worthy right here ^^ :4: :dblthumb:

46. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you don't like to hear my bagpipes in the evening around the fire and a bugle in the morning I suggest you just move on down the trail.
    Seriously if most people had a similar attitude like Mr Knapps , the trails and campsites would be a better place.

47. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Most folks reading this already roll that way regardless. Folks who might need to know it won't be reading anyway.

The advice about big feet though, that's a good rule too.

48. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    See, this useless debate, above, illustrates the nonsense inherent in HYOH = “Here’s Your Onion Honey”. Doc.

Haggis likes this.
  49. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you completely. I'm just asking people to have some consideration for the people around them and the people that will come along behind them.

Beach Hiker and Haggis like this.
  50. Mark Knapp

Blog Posts:
    The clothes thing is too funny.

Beach Hiker likes this.