Camera Tripod(s)

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Luzster, May 3, 2019.

1. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, just got a new camera off the trade blanket and I am now in need for a tripod/tripods.

Looking for input on whether or not those flexible ones are 'worth it' or are they just a waste. Looking at the ones that you can wrap around a tree branch or whatnot.

Also, would it be advisable to get a 'standard' ridged type tripod?

I am looking at using the camera to video family outtings, personal outtings, me doing b.s. things around the shop, etc.

Thoughts?

P.S. Also might need some input on video editing software too.....

2. badgerthehobo

badgerthehobo Down the river and up the creek Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For a tripod I have to use the cheapest one I can find. But I got a decent one at a thrift store today for $5. Way better than the super flimsy ones from Kmart.

For editing software, I have used OpenShot (great until it starts locking up your computer, generally around 10 minutes of video), iMovie (decent for simple movies). The one I currently use is Wondershare Filmora9. I can’t say enough good things about it. The free version watermarks your video, but paid is only $60 for a full featured editor. I used it for my Woods Loafing #3 video and I just love it.

Luzster likes this.
  3. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    ¿ WHY do you want a tri-pod ?

¿ ease of use ?

¿ cute holder ?

¿ a stable platform for photographic endeavors ?

Luzster likes this.
  4. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Ease of use and a stable platform and for hands free recording.

badgerthehobo likes this.
  5. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How much do you have to spend? For $200 you can get into a good used manfroto Tripod probably with a ball head. Use the tripod for stand alone work and detach the ball head for use on table tops. Simply drill a scrap 4x4 board with a 1/4-20 bolt and your ball head will mount to it. Then you can mount your camera to it.

Scratch that. Found one for $60
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059026-REG/manfrotto_mkcompactlt_rd_compact_light_tripod_red.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfmDv_mA4gIV0cDACh3ijgpAEAQYFyABEgKlo_D_BwE&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

6. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    good sturdy tripods are frequently seen @ flea mkts for chump change

i'd go4 the sturdy one when i really wanted the event to be well recorded

7. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thirty years ago I bought my first decent 35mm camera...yeah, before DSLR. Whole outfit cost $1000 and it included a very sturdy Slik tripod that was, what I thought at the time, VERY PRICEY. A few camera bodies later and different manufacturers I still have that tripod. I have abused that thing for years. It's been outside for months at a time supporting trail cams, been bounced and squashed. Still performs very well even with a slightly bent leg. Like most gear you get what you pay for but you can get great tripods on the second hand market cheaply.

I don't use the posable tripods so can't tell you which is better but if you find a very expensive one, check out the used markets as folks try to recoup some of their money. The cheaper ones will probably get tossed.

As far as "worth it", if you're going to use it, it'll be worth it. If it sits in your bag, it's not. I don't use a double bit ax so even a great price on one wouldn't be worth it to me.

dave

badgerthehobo and 66drifter like this.
  8. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Manfrotto tripod for my canon M50, DSLR. It has a round quick disconnect that screws into the bottom of camera which doesn't get in the way of the battery / SD card compartment. I think I paid around 60 dollars for it at Best Buy. I have no knowledge concerning the flexable ones. Personally, I would be somewhat concerned of my camera falling and breaking as cameras are not cheap. My editing program I use is "Adobe Premiere Elements 2018"

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. Captain Airyca

Captain Airyca Scout

Blog Posts:
    From what I understand, manfrotto ones are great. I have a cheapie cheap one though, and I've been happy with it.

Ravelli APLT3 53" Light Weight Aluminum Tripod with Bag Includes Universal Smartphone Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PP8B2Y6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Qar0Cb4PWTN0X

It's huge selling point is that it weighs nothing. It's really delicate, but if you're hiking, I reccomend it. If you're not worried about weight I'd get something nicer.

I have a medium sized joby gorilla pod and the ball head attachment and quick release. I use the ball head attachment on both tripods. It's a pretty nifty combo.

10. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I picked up this tripod for field use, compact and light weight for a full size tripod.

Vanguard VEO 2 265CB Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with VEO 2 BH-50 Ball Head

11. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    What kind of camera? How heavy is it?

12. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  13. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Its a Cannon....can't remember model at the moment.... its really light too.... 16oz at the utmost.

14. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    DSLR or superzoom or point and shoot?

If it's a point and shoot, the bent wire kind of tripods are great. Not so sure with the other two.

15. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Iphone for a camera, you always have it with you and more often than not its just propped somewhere and held in place with a rock or stick or axe head, whatever's handy. I do have two super cheap, $5 tripod wrap around kind of things but can't trust the ball socket, as the phone has fallen off more than the cheap rock trick does. Spend the money for a decent mount.

BBizy likes this.
  16. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had a mini Gorilla pod for a long time until the ball joints became too loose to support a camera. I've been meaning to replace it with the larger version. It's nice for hiking since it's so compact and light, and you can usually find a limb to wrap it around. If not, you can cobble a makeshift tripod to get it higher pretty quickly.

If you have a heavy camera or you're a serious photographer, though, you'll want something sturdier.

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  17. bartman

bartman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a targus tripod, that has not been used in years. If you want it, please PM me. Standing by.

Bart

Luzster likes this.
  18. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Got any pics by any chance? Any idea of size when collapsed/folded up?