Camp and Canoe in the Wharton State Forest April 21 – 23

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Backyard, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few of my friends from a 4WD forum are planning a weekend of car camping and a day of canoeing in Wharton State Forest. We’ll be doing a canoe day trip from Hawkin Bridge to Bodine Field. All are welcome to join.

We are being picked up by Mick’s Canoe and Kayak around 9 AM on Saturday 22 April at Bodine Field. The bus will take us to Hawkin Bridge. It is a little less than a 5 hour paddle back to Bodine Field.

Most of us will be camping at Bodine Field, but everyone should do whatever works best for them. For reservations to camp in Wharton State Forest use this site, ReserveAmerica.

As there are discounts based on the number of canoes and kayaks in the group, I’d ask anyone that will join us to reserve their boat under the group name Disconnected Offroad. Please reserve a boat using this site, Mick’s Canoe and Kayak. Rental fees run between $40 - $60 per day depending on the size of our group and the type of boat you chose. If you have your own canoe, Mick’s offers some options. No one is obligated to use this vendor, but if you don’t you are on your own for getting your canoe to Hawkin Bridge and recovering your vehicle.

Fair warning, this group is primarily a 4WD group. Some camp, some don’t. Some get Tread Lightly, a small minority don’t. Trips like this are to encourage some of my friends to get out of their rigs and a bit closer to nature. Everyone treads that path at their own pace. There will be bacon.

beacon, GreenFrog, Half Tread and 2 others like this.
  2. Klink

Klink Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In

Half Tread and Backyard like this.
  3. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I may try to get in on this.

Half Tread likes this.
  4. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Wolfcri so sorry about not seeing this before the weekend. Did you end up camping and canoeing?

5. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I ended up in Michaux actually! The Hammock guys had a big shindig going on so I headed out that way. That's a really nice area.

Backyard likes this.
  6. Klink

Klink Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another great weekend

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0016.JPG