Camp Nana 2019

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bacpacjac, May 7, 2019.

1. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This weekend, we finally opened Camp Nana for the 2019 season. YAY! It was so good to be back. This thread will be on-going, dedicated to all of the fun we'll have there this year.

Abby and I were super excited to get back there, so we headed up on Friday night. We got in after dark, and I didn't have a pass for the gate, so we had to hoof in with a load of gear. Abby's been bugging me to go night hiking so she was thrilled. :) We both carried our day hike kits and an extra bag of pillows & blankets. She dropped hers as soon as we got to our trailer so she could go play with her friend, and I spent the next hour or so unloading the car and getting things sorted in the trailer. I got the electrical hooked up but couldn't get the water or gas working. Then I blew a fuse and lost all my outside light. I was going to make a fire, but by that point, Abby had fallen asleep so I watched the end of "Frozen" by myself and then tried to get some sleep too.

It was like a night of camping in a tin can, but we had lights (inside) and a space heater so we were all set. It was a little chilly, but we brought extra blankets so we were toasty in no time. She slept like a rock but she's a bed and blanket hog so I did not sleep well.

Instead of a hat, she wore ear muffs to bed to help her stay warm. LOL!
    P5031686.JPG

Much coffee was needed in the morning. My plan was to cook over the fire all weekend, but there was a lot of work to do on Saturday morning so I used my Crusader kit & a couple of Esbit tablets to make coffee in the fire pit.

I made a double French Vanilla. Instant coffee never tasted so good!
    P5041693.JPG

Nana arrived just in time to share a cup. P5041702.JPG

Here's a little video of the first night and morning, in case you're interested in seeing more.

Once the trailer was in ship shape and my chores were done, I could get to that fire. Step one, foraging for tinder, kindling and fuel for a twig fire. There were three very hyper kids running around so I decided to avoid using sharps as much as possible. They played at helping me forage but were much more interested in actually playing.

There are lots of White Birch trees around so finding bark is easy, especially in the Spring. I brought the old Coghlans folding saw with me just in case I found some fatwood and I would not be disappointed.
    P5041718.JPG

One of two wagon loads of twigs and branches. P5041724.JPG

I used a couple of long branches and a couple of old fire dogs to make a rack for my gathered wood, and then set about sorting it by size. I picked up some garbage on my foraging walk so threw then beer can down for size reference.
    P5041742.JPG

FATWOOD! I found a Pine tree with a few dead branches so cut them off to use as my fire base. They weren't oozing with pitch but pretty good. Six pieces fit my pit perfectly. All the twigs I cut off made up the second layer of my tipi fire lay and an old fire dog make the perfect brace. P5041737.JPG

I put a bunch of Birch bark on the platform, to make the base of my tipi, and then used a not well made nest of it as my tinder "bundle."
    P5041740.JPG

I tried to use a folder knife to scrape a ferro rod but it closed on my hand so I reverted to my Mora LMF Fireknife. P5041761.JPG

We did get video though!

I added a few of last year's fire dogs as I burned through my prep, and when we had a good bed of coals, it was time to cook dinner. You may notice the fire pit changing through the day and night. I kept adding more rocks and rearranging them. I did get some bricks and a cinder block to add, but ended up with a nice haul of rocks as I looked for firewood. I'm pretty happy with it right now but it needs to be more of a '"C" shape than the horseshoe it is now to keep more us warm at night. :) P5041750.JPG

To be continued. Next up: Dinner and a night around the campfire.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    pab1, Gruxxx, Winterhorse and 60 others like this.
  2. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    The video above shows the entire night around the fire, but here's more.

I planned to cook over the fire but my mom was in charge of menu planning and shopping. She thought we'd BBQ a frozen pizza. I forgot the propane of the BBQ though. So, we had a choice: cook it in the propane oven the trailer or try to do it over the fire. I love a good challenge! I figured that I could make aluminum foil and a baking rack work.
    P5041765.JPG

First I made a pizza pan out of a triple layer of foil. (It's the thin dollar store kind.) P5041766.JPG

Then I made a lid the same way. I put coals from the main fire into the pit's keyhole, put the rack over that, laid the foil-packed pizza on that, and then added coals to the top. P5041771.JPG

It would have worked perfectly if I had a strong lid or fewer/lighter coals on top of it. The foil stuck to the cheese and took half of it off with it. When that happened, I also let some of the ash fall onto the pizza. Double fail! P5041773.JPG

Otherwise it was looking pretty good, so I took it off the fire and went looking for something to help with that cheese situation. Cheese Whiz to the rescue! The pie had cooled down by then I needed to melt the cheese again, so I used my folding shovel as a pizza paddle and put it right over the flames for a little bit. I remembered to put the top on loosely this time. ;) P5041775.JPG

Being that this was an experiment, I also tried it topless, propped up. The covered method was better. I had to keep rotating the pie and ended up burning one corner. Triple fail! It sure tasted good though! P5041778.JPG

After dinner, it was campfire time. I whittled some sticks and we roasted dogs and marshmallows. P5041789.JPG

I thought that this one looked like Elvis. haha! P5041794.JPG

I burnt my spider dog and my regular hot dog. :( At least I was consistent. haha! I seemed to have a theme going but I wasn't complaining. It all tasted great! Everyone had such a good time that we totally forgot to make hot chocolate. P5041796.JPG

What an awesome night! Before the girls turned in for bed, we made a wish on the fire using Magic Wish Dust, A.K.A. white sugar. ;) After they were both asleep, I stayed out for a couple of hours by myself. Sitting by the fire, under a sky full of stars, was good for my soul. P5041799.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    glen1100, pab1, Gruxxx and 50 others like this.
  3. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Sunday morning we woke up to an honest to goodness Summer day. The thermometer went up to 20C/68C and the sky was bright, sunny blue. We had a no-cook breakfast with Nana, then it was Adventure time! Nana had friends to visit and Abby and I were really looking forward to exploring the forest. I took my day hike pack and she brought her Coghlans 5in1 whistle/match case/compass/mirror/ferro rod lanyard and a Koolaid jammer. haha!

We had the best time! We found bones, feathers and Birch bark. This was our very first piece of treasure on this trip and it was right near the trail head. We've found bones in a couple of places here before so we checked them both out and were not disappointed.
    P5051820.JPG

When we got back to the trailhead at the end of our hike there was a BUNCH of feathers. Abby had Turkey on the brain, but I think maybe Pheasant? We looked but found no other sign, just the feathers. Weird. A hunter who had gutted right away and waited to pluck here? A bird pruning itself? I was a little concerned that maybe somebody had been hunting in the area while we were out but it's not allowed and we didn't hear any shots.
    P5051921.JPG

We also found this interesting stump. Everything around it was bone dry but it was covered in some kind of fluid. We wondered if maybe it was bear or cougar pee, but it had no smell. There was saw dust all around it so I thought maybe chainsaw oil. There was no sign of anybody or anything being there recently. Does anybody have any ideas? P5051854.JPG P5051856.JPG

We finally made it to the lake! We've always known that it was out there somewhere but this is the first time we found the right path to take us there. Abby wanted to turn around half-way there but was really glad we didn't. We re-yhydrated, snacked and did a little fishing with my pocket fishing kit and a tree branch. (We didn't do any catching so I'm still working that BushClass elective.) It was awesome just to hang out with her for a while. :) P5051873.JPG

I could have happily sat there and watched her all day. P5051874.JPG

This Justin's Butter stuff was messy but good. P5051889.JPG

Adventure fuel! We planned to make hot chocolate with my Crusader kit, but this wasn't a good spot for flames. It was a good spot to stay for a spell, though, so cold snacks and water totally fit the bill. P5051881.JPG

On our hike back we found a nice score of Chaga. My MP knife did a stellar job carving and prying it off the tree. :D P5051906.JPG

It was such a fantastic day that we were both sad when it was time to go home. We are hoping to go back this weekend and explore some more.
    P5051835.JPG

Here's a video in case you'd like to see more. Thanks for joining us!

4. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    A few more pictures to go with the great memories. :D

Bushcraft Girl. ;)
    P5041728.JPG P5041729.JPG P5051839.JPG P5051816.JPG P5051828.JPG
    P5051903.JPG P5051910.JPG P5041732.JPG

The kiddos and I made a tripod, minus lashings. P5041759.JPG

The fire was awesome! It's been WAY too long! Thanks for joining us!
    P5041806.JPG

pab1, Gruxxx, Zeke and 42 others like this.
  5. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @bacpacjac I just watched the A-W-E-S-O-M-E YouTube uploads :17: I so wanna go to Camp Nana's.
    Regards
    David

juliuslim, DomC, Paul Caruso and 9 others like this.
  6. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about this for some reason last night and when I saw the thread title, I was like WOOHOO!!

7. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My first thought on seeing the stump was cherry. The variety here has an Orange colour like that. Given the dust is there. It was cut recently. I'm wondering if the fluid is sap mixed with water from dew and rain. Anyhow I'm enjoying this post. Thanks much.:dblthumb:
    Cheers Jim

8. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Still more pictures. :)

P5051919.JPG P5051908.JPG P5051813.JPG P5051814.JPG P5051891.JPG P5051871.JPG P5041720.JPG P5041811.JPG P5051886.JPG

9. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    YEA FOR CAMP NANA !
    Looks like an outstanding trip sister.
    I'll be trying the frozen pizza over the coals. And campfire ash improves the flavor of everything.

I'll be watching this thread for sure.
    Thanks for taking us along.

10. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What a great time. Thanks for sharing!

DomC, FIELDCRAFTLTC, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  11. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Should kiddos be allowed to have that much fun? I sure as heck hope so! :D

@bacpacjac I am so pleased you can be the source of that fun! :dblthumb:

12. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
  13. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great trip and a good post young lass. joe

14. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    She sure is a sweety! I watched your videos as they were put up. :)

Thinking maybe that wet stump was just tree sap.

15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You are a lucky lady with a really lucky little girl. What a great weekend. They always go too fast. Thanks for taking us along.

16. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LNR LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a secret of some of the greatest chefs.....
    Authentic Italian pizza is cooked in a "forno a legno", a wood burning oven, and the crust often has a smokey/campfire taste within it.....

Perfectly normal. It's not burnt.... it's got a "wood caramelised exterior".

Quite right.

Absolutely fab!

17. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great pictures and story, thanks for sharing.

18. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm with @DavidJAFO on this one - I wanna go too!

DomC, FIELDCRAFTLTC, Bobsdock and 6 others like this.
  19. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yay canon Nana's is open. I tried to make it there but ended up in orono Maine and kidnapped Autumn. Maybe next trip up north I'll cross the border and end up at Camp Nana

20. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LNR LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey @bacpacjac ....
    Whereabouts is this fabled place?

21. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Camp Nana's... :35: all aboard.
    Regards
    David

22. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Couple years ago, my daughter brought pizza along when we camped. She rolled them up, then foiled them. Except for the foil sticking to the cheese they were great. Pizza rolls. At that time, she cooked them above the fire. I think on a bed of coals, with coals on top, might be better. I'll need to try that this summer, if I remember...

Thanks for sharing!

23. Outdoor Time

Outdoor Time BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a fun trip. I always love watching your videos.

DomC, NevadaBlue, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  24. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    You are welcome any time, Cousin! Trade that swear jar in for a plane ticket and I'll have your marshmallow stick ready!! :)

Thanks JD! The wait to get back was a long one this year!

I'm going to go back and check it out again, Jim! :)

DomC, Bobsdock, NevadaBlue and 4 others like this.
  25. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    hahah!! I'm going to try it again too, Bob. The ash on top was ok, but burnt bottom was a little too much in some spots. ;)

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks so much! I really appreciate that!

Thanks!

Thank you, Joe! It was a great start! :)

Thank so much, John. I'm going to go back and check the stump out again. It was pretty neat looking!

Right you are, Ken. Thanks so much for joining us!

"Wood caramelised exterior." I like that!! It's one of my special skills. :D

Thank you for joining us!

You're always welcome, Hannah! :D

haha!! That would be so cool! Bring the kids too! :)

We're North West of Coboconk, ON. Just a stone's throw from Peterbrough.

WOO HOO!!

That's a brilliant idea, Dave. I do believe we will try that! Thanks for sharing!

I sure do appreciate it! :)

DomC, Sawdustdave, Back50 and 7 others like this.
  26. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :18::18::18:Elvis,:18::18::18::18:

DomC, MrFixIt, Sawdustdave and 3 others like this.
  27. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
    Sister you are a amazing women !
    I'll be looking forward to camp nana updates.

DomC, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  28. halo2

halo2 Curmudgeon in Training Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic writeup for what looks like an awesome trip!

Those feathers are of a ruffed grouse. My guess is a female and an animal kill site.

Males are usually more vivid blacks and browns.

If you get close to a mother with chicks she may feign a broken wing. Its a sight to see. The males drum as a mating call, typically through May.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Trader Tut, Bobsdock, DomC and 3 others like this.
  29. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Firstly, a great report and it looks like you guys had a wonderful time.

With a folder, it is usually possible (assuming you have a 90* spine) to scrape a ferro rod whilst the knife is closed. There is usually enough of the spine showing out of the handle to get a good scrape without the risk of the knife folding on your fingers. I hope that was not why you had a line of band-aids on your fingers in that picture! This certainly works with my sharp spine folders like an Opinel or, on my SAK I use the back of the saw blade, lifted a little with a small stick under the tip of the saw to hold it high enough to scrape the ferro rod above the back of the main blade, but still mostly closed.

Hope this helps.

OJ

pellegrino, Bobsdock, DomC and 4 others like this.
  30. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome sauce!!!! Great video and boy....I wanna go to Camp Nana too!

Bobsdock, DomC, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  31. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you all had a good time. Can't wait to see more from came Nana. I would guess the feathers were left from a Bob Cat or Fox kill. The stump has sap rising from the warming weather. I have heard of folks cutting a bowl in a fresh cut stump to collect sap for drinking. Tapping a tree for sap seems more reasonable to me. I hope you catch your fish next time.

Bobsdock, DomC, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  32. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What a great time! I remember doing this with my babies. As for the feathers, I think it might have been a predator like an owl, hawk or fox. I have found feather piles on our property on occasion too.

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  33. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Going up country,
    Got to get away ...
    Canned heat, indeed, nana

Bobsdock, DomC, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  34. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The mysterious Elvis Marshmallow, was it brought by aliens ? Camp Nana may just be the New Area 51!

Bobsdock, DomC, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  35. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It was Mother's Day weekend, so Abby and I headed to Camp Nana on Saturday afternoon to spend the night with my mom.

I did much foraging for firewood.

P5112017.JPG

The evening fire was started with Birch bark, my CRTK Mt. Ranier folder and a LMF ferro rod.

P5112048.JPG

I used a Tipi firelay because I wanted quick hot coals. It was as tall as me in minutes. :)

P5112043.JPG

Once we had some coals, I threw a tin of jute rope in to char it. I overstuffed the tin a bit so the lid came half off part-way through so I pulled it off.

P5112058.JPG

It turned out ok. PHEW!

P5112063.JPG

It took a few strikes of the ferro rod, but off it went. :)

P5112068.JPG

Once the cookie tin was off the fire, it was time to cook burgers. I put some coals in the keyhole and used my dollar store baking rack to grill them. One fell in the fire and a couple got a little too charred on one side but "Carmelized wood flavouring" was awesome! My campfire cooking skills had a rough Winter! LOL!

P5112070.JPG

They turned out great! I had mine super simple with ketchup, mustard and cheddar cheese.

P5112079.JPG

Abby and Nana approved!

P5112076.JPG

After dinner, they played with the ball and watched the fire, and I went for a little walk and did a little more foraging.

P5112091.JPG

To be continued....

36. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It was Mother's Day weekend, so together time was the ultimate goal. Once I got back from my walk, the three of us enjoyed the evening campfire together.

P5112132.JPG P5112138.JPG P5112139.JPG

Breakfast was pretty fancy: Blueberry muffins, baked beans, Bacon Spam and instant coffee in the trailer.

P5122150.JPG

Once breakfast was done and the dishes washed, Abby and I headed out on an adventure. We wanted to see if our trail would take us to the big lake. We double-checked the maps and headed out!

P5122154.JPG

We made it! Our trailer is between two lakes. We've driven to the beach on this one before but this was the first time we walked there. I think we'll be taking this route again with our fishing rods. :D

P5122166.JPG P5122170.JPG

After checking out the lake, we headed back into the forest to explore a bit.

P5122187.JPG

Too soon, we needed to head home for the other half of Mother's Day. We stopped in Coboconk on the way to see if there were any fish in the river. We didn't see any this time but we did find some cool rocks and some bone fragments. :)

P5122231.JPG P5122238.JPG

To be continued....

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  37. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:

Gathering tinder and kindling is an important camp chore, but I also want to get better at identifying and foraging wild edibles this year. My trusty foraging bag is holding up well after several years of use, but last weekend, I got a little far from camp for a little too long. I survived but was dehydrated and would have been worse off if Mother Nature hadn't been so cooperative. I needed more than just my bag and gloves.

P5112017.JPG

This week I built a little kit for simple trips like this. I was aiming for a foraging haversack set-up, but in a small backpack. This is what I came up with. North 49 hydration pack minus the bladder (10-15L, I think), Mora Companion HD (not in the pic because it's still in the pack), silk liner gloves (it was chilly when we started our walk), FAK & wipes, bug jacket, steel water bottle, Bacho Laplander, leather gloves, jute twine, notebook & pencil, trowel, SOL poncho, FSK, fire by magnification kit, bin liner, CLIF blocks, paracord, H2O filter straw, bug juice, Stanley cup filled with foraging bags, bandana, field guides and GI poncho. There's room in there for sunscreen and a fishing kit too. ;)

P5122180.JPG

Keeping the wood pile in good shape is another important on-going task. I try to collect as much Birch bark and fatwood as I can find every time I'm there so my mom has an easy time making fire when I'm not there. I found some good stuff this weekend. For example, I dragged this branch back to camp to process there.

P5112096.JPG
    P5112020.JPG

I cut some rounds off the bottom and used the rest of it to cover my dwindling wood pile. My poor tarp had a rough winter. Another load of split-wood is coming on the long weekend, and I need to build a new and better rack for it, including a roof.

P5112099.JPG

Fatwood rounds make excellent fire platforms and I'm building a nice stash of them. :)

P5112023.JPG

38. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Here's a few more pictures from last weekend's fun. Thanks for joining us!

P5122217.JPG P5122221.JPG P5122174.JPG P5122160.JPG P5122165.JPG P5122188.JPG P5122199.JPG

39. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    :35: :35: :35:
    This is so much fun!

DavidJAFO, Bobsdock and bacpacjac like this.
  40. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Thanks JD. We're sure are enjoying it. :D

DavidJAFO, Bobsdock and MrFixIt like this.
  41. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Pretty obvious in the videos...y'all are definitely having fun!
    And thanks for sharing, I'm sure I can speak for many here that it is like almost being there.

DavidJAFO, Bobsdock and bacpacjac like this.
  42. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
    Now I want to go to camp nana !
    Thank you so much for sharing Jacqui.

MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  43. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for take us along!

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and bacpacjac like this.
  44. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You just can't make burgers as yummy in the house, can you? Thanks for sharing the expedition with us.

45. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Not at all. These were out out of the box frozen burgers and they were awesome!!

46. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    You are welcome any time, Bob. I'll have a marshmallow stick ready for you!

MrFixIt, Bobsdock and DavidJAFO like this.
  47. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like an awesome time with family! Nice job

MrFixIt, bacpacjac and Bobsdock like this.
  48. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    We had more fun at Camp Nana this weekend. It was Victoria Day weekend here, which meant we got an extra day - YAY!! Unfortunately, we were waylaid on our way there, and Mother Nature sent rain. We had a blast nonetheless!

Jonas came with us this weekend! YAY again! We worked on our navigation skills a couple of times this weekend, beginning when two of the highways we needed to take were closed due to accidents.

P5189774.JPG

Thanks to a late arrival, we had to hustle to get our fire going. We had dinner to cook and wanted good coals. We did fire prep together, until he got called away by Nana to do chores. He made shavings and some split wood kindling with his Gerber Bear Grylls USK and the Mora Scout @MichaelBear gifted him several years ago. $1 plops into Cousin @DavidJAFO's swear jar. ;)

P5189776.JPG

P5189827.JPG P5189832.JPG

Meanwhile I prepped the twigs and branches we collected, aided by the old Coghlans folding saw, A.K.A. "The Banana".

P5189790.JPG

By the time he finished helping Nana, I had the fire prep done. I told him he could make the fire any way he wanted and he proceed to build and light it before I could take pictures or video. He told me later that he was afraid it was going to fail because it's the first time he's ever done a fire lay without help. Silly boy! He did a great job! It was a lob cabin - twig fire tipi mash-up fire lay, with Birch bark and fatwood shavings for tinder, and he lit it with a BIC. He had chest high flames within a minute or two. :)

P5189797.JPG P5189800.JPG P5189801.JPG

Once it was going and I congratulated him on it, I left him to post it to his Instagram and add quartered Ash splitwood so we'd have some good coals, and went off to prep dinner.

P5189816.JPG

P5189814.JPG

To be continued.... Next up: Tomahawk steak and corn on the cob!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  49. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    The boy, I should say TEENAGER, made an awesome fire. We used it to cook a tomahawk steak and corn on the cob directly on the coals. It was SOOO GOOD!!

P5189824.JPG P5189838.JPG P5189843.JPG P5189842.JPG P5189850.JPG P5189846.JPG

After dinner, we headed back to the fire pit to enjoy Jonas's fire for the evening. Much whittling and roasting happened, and many smiles were had.

P5189857.JPG P5189862.JPG P5189863.JPG P5189864.JPG

To be continued...

50. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I'm so proud of Jonas. He did a great job with that fire.

jos first fire 2019.gif

The rest of the night was just as great. I whittled with my beautiful MP knife, gifted to me by @t.darrah. Thanks again, Tom! I absolutely love it!

P5189874.JPG P5189877.JPG

I burned a couple of holes in my favourite pants when we put some green pine needles on the fire to get rid of the mosquitoes. It was totally worth it, until the rain picked up and chased us all away anyway. LOL!

P5189859.JPG

It was a beauty!

P5189872.JPG

I love these guys!

P5189879.JPG P5189880.JPG

Our marshmallows had to be eaten inside thanks to a monsoon that rolled through that night.

P5189885.JPG

We were all pretty tired by then anyway, so after our campfire treats, it was time for bed.

P5189891.JPG

Here's a little video in case you're interested in seeing more of our first day and night.

To be continued....