Camp Nana 2019

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bacpacjac, May 7, 2019.

1. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The rain against the trailer roof all night helped everyone but me sleep well. I slept with Abby again and got none. Hahaa!

We woke up late on Sunday morning and had a quick BBQ'd breakfast of bacon and eggs. We wanted to go for a long hike and there were thunderstorms in the afternoon forecast, so we packed up a little kit and headed down Bear Hill, through Dead Animal Trail, and out to the main trail. Our goal was to take Jonas to the hidden unnamed lake.

We had a grand time. They climbed the cliffs and explored the ridge, while I mostly stayed below and checked out the Trilliums and the mystery stump from last week.

P5199920.JPG P5199927.JPG P5199930.JPG

Yup, it's a sappy stump that's been rained on. Mystery solved! Thanks folks!

P5199971.JPG

Some of the tools we used on this adventure were a map & compass, a trowel, Jo's Silky Gomboy, bug spray and some field guides. We made it to the mystery lake and planned to do some exploring there, but it turns out it's a private pond. The property owner told us he didn't mind us being there but didn't recommend it. There is a mama bear with two little cubs this year, and they're living around the pond.

We had no intention of being around bear cubs, so we didn't stay. We practiced our bear encounter plan for the second time this trip (we always review at the trailhead before we head out,) and headed back to the main trail, where we took a break for water and snacks, and also to collect Chaga and a mushroom.

P5199958.JPG P5199963.JPG

I pulled a little pack out of my foraging kit and Abby easily carried our treasure home.

P5199965.JPG

We were assaulted by mosquitoes, noseeums and black flies. Even Deet didn't seem to deter them. UGH!

P5199995.JPG

Other than a couple of terrifying trips back down the ridge after exploring up there. Abby cried the entire way down, despite asking to go up with Jonas - TWICE. Despite that, we all had a great time. She was wearing terrible shoes so both the kids got some scrapes and bruises when they slipped and fell on their descent the second time, but I'm happy to say that there we no serious injuries on this adventure. The bugs didn't carry us off even though we didn't bust out our bug jackets. I didn't need my FAK or cell phone, and the bears did NOT get us either. PHEW! LOL!

P5199975.JPG 61103096_10157213404786303_3181467926108569600_n.jpg

Here's a video if you'd like to see more:

To be continued...

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    We got back from our hike just in time. Those thunderstorms were starting to roll in, we were starving and so we Nana. We were going to make a fire but we needed to eat first so I quickly BBQ'd some sausages for lunch.

P5190005.JPG

After we ate, Jonas and I gathered some branches and then I took Abby and her friend Landon to collect twigs and sticks for the fire. This time they did a great job!

P5200067.JPG

While we gathered kindling, Jonas prepared the tinder. He and I sorted and prepared everything while the kids went to play. When we were ready, both the kids tried a UCO Sweetfire, but we failed to get pictures of video of that :( They were both too timid scared to try to light the actual fire without throwing the flaming Sweetfire, so Jonas and I showed them how to build a twig fire, which he also lit with a UCO Sweetfire. Everything was went but it went up no problem. HOORAY for proper prep!

P5190042.JPG

Here's a video of our fire starting fun.

Once the fire was going and the kids were bored again, I took them to check out some of the Christmas trees around us. We're going to try to figure out if they are all the same, and what kind they are, by watching how they change every weekend we're there. We started by looking at the needles, the berries and the bark to try to figure out the mystery.

P5190019.JPG P5190026.JPG P5190028.JPG

We also tried to figure out what some birds were. We couldn't really see them but we did get video of their vocal stylings.

We stayed out on the rain for a long time, but it eventually came down too hard, and brought with it a wicked wind, so we covered the fire and headed inside, hoping that it would pass. It didn't :(

P5190053.JPG

I BBQ'd burgers instead of cooking them over the fire, and we had a awesome game of Star Wars Monopoly instead of s'mores.

P5190051.JPG P5199892.JPG

To be continued....

3. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    All too soon, it was time to go home. Au revoir!

P5189811.JPG

Here's a few more random pictures of the 8000 I feel like I took. :) Thanks for joining us!

P5189809.JPG P5190007.JPG P5190013.JPG P5199901.JPG P5199952.JPG P5199980.JPG P5190022.JPG P5199927.JPG P5200057.JPG

BradGad, NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and 9 others like this.
  4. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    A few more pictures because "I hab a code" and wish I was still up North.

P5189853.JPG P5189878.JPG knives.gif P5189882.JPG P5189884.JPG

Thanks for joining us! I hope you're having a wonderful day!

P5190009.JPG

P5199923.JPG P5190013.JPG P5199905.JPG P5189805.JPG

5. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    We were at Camp Nana yesterday for a work day. There is much work to do in the Spring, but we're getting there. The hedges and trees were trimmed and much of those cuttings burned in the fire pit. The lawn and" back 40" were raked and the needless & weeds bagged and taken to the dump. The lawn was weeded & mowed and the roofs of the trailer and shed cleaned.

Fiskers glamour shot! LOL!!

P6019838.JPG P6019849.JPG

Shout-out to @HannahZ! I started with fire was a big piece of old White Birch and a BIC lighter. I added about 3 times this much of Birch bark and then we dumped all the green trimmings on top. It burned like a champ. The Birch bark was the key. If we let it burn out, the green branches would not continue to burn. The bark turned the fire pit into a bushcraft version of a propane-powered burn barrel. ;)

P6019839.JPG

It was a great opportunity to teach the kids to make a signal fire. In this area this is the easiest way to make a big, long-lasting smokey fire. We have Birch, Cedar, Pine and Spruce trees everywhere at Camp Nana. I was tempted to add some inner tube to turn the smoke more black, but we planned on cooking over it and that would be :26:.

P6019841.JPG P6019846.JPG

Once all the chores were done, and the brush all burned, we started burning split wood so get a good bed of coals for dinner.

P6019857.JPG

Then it was time for outdoor cooking practice time! Beef tacos, pork ribs and corn on the cob were on the menu and they were delicious! There's a more detailed report of that here - https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/outdoor-cooking-practice-thread.227798/page-5#post-4442142

P6019911.JPG

Some marshmallows were roasted as well.

P6019885.JPG

It was a quick trip, and much work was done, but we all had a great time. Nana and Abby even made a trip to the park while Jonas and started working on dinner.

P6019861.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

6. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    A few more random photos from our trip yesterday.

Our helpers spent as much time playing as they did working. hahha!

P6019852.JPG P6019835.JPG P6019836.JPG

We took a little walk and discovered the the Apple tree is blooming! YAY!

P6019870.JPG

We found some dead and down White Birch trees so harvested some mushrooms to study and bark to burn, and we also found a downed bird nest.

P6019876.JPG P6019881.JPG P6019882.JPG

Jonas handed down his Mora Scout to Abby this weekend. Part of learning to use it was slicing tomatoes with Nana for our tacos. She ended up cutting her finger, so the trusty FAK was called to action. Thankfully, it was just a tiny boo boo. It barely required a bandaid, but Nana used her skills as a Nurse to get her all fixed up. :)

20190601_165840.jpg

7. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    We had a great girls weekend at Camp Nana last week. I still have a gajillion pictures to edit so I'll let the videos tell the story for now.

I started with a solo walk on Saturday morning and then a little foraging walk to gather firewood for a twig bundle fire. Did I mention that this was probably the hottest day of this Summer so far? I've got a couple more split wood fires to do for BushClass, and I hated missing an opportunity, but gathering twigs seemed a wiser move than splitting wood in that oppressive heat.

P7207450.JPG

Then I prepared the evening fire, which Abby lit with F&S. It was her first time!! YAY! There's a report about that milestone here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/flint-and-steel-friday.181347/page-46#post-4517652

P7207491.JPG

Once the fire was going, it was time to focus on making dinner. There's a report of that meal here: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/outdoor-cooking-practice-thread.227798/page-7#post-4517713

P7207513.JPG

I did a terrible job of staying cool and hydrated. I felt nauseous by dinner time and started having foot and leg cramps when I went for an after dinner swim. I spent the night nursing myself back to good health. :/ Stay safe, my friends!

P7207550.JPG

Only one marshmallow was roasted, but it was a big one!

P7207588.JPG

Sunday started with bacon and eggs. There was a failed attempt to cook the eggs in freezer bags but I recovered with help from a frying pan. ;) https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...d-mods-and-in-use.233660/page-22#post-4517757

P7217598.JPG

The weekend was short & sweet, but we did squeeze in a little fishing with my hobo kit on the way home. We only caught the dock and some weeds, but we sure had fun! My quest to complete this BushClass elective by catching a fish with this kit continues!

P7217604.JPG P7217603.JPG P7217611.JPG

8. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    One of the missions was I successful in completing was collecting Birch bark for Cousin @DavidJAFO and @Staleym. :D

P7207416.JPG P7207428.JPG P7207436.JPG P7207440.JPG

I was pretty happy with the haul. We made a big "Birch bark canoe" to help Abby with that fire. ;)

P7207470.JPG

And there's a big bag full ready for mailing soon. I didn't make it to the Yellow Birch trees that weekend, so we're going to try to get some this week. ;)

P7298275.JPG

9. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Here's a few random pics. Thanks for looking!

P7207536.JPG

After I went for a swim, Abby and I walked to the store to get Powerade for me and ice cream for her and Nana.

P7207543.JPG P7207549.JPG P7207492.JPG P7207563.JPG P7217601.JPG P7217591.JPG P7207380.JPG P7207376.JPG

10. Denman

Denman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice outing,and the food is making me hungry.

11. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    haha! Me too! I went shopping for lunch fixings right after I posted. LOL!! Thanks for joining us!

12. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wish I were there!
    ;)
    I missed some installments but just caught up.
    I’ll have to check out the videos next!

YAAY!

13. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Also had to catch up on Camp Nana. Looks like a great place to hang out. All the FOOD looks fantastic!

NevadaBlue, MrFixIt, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  14. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome outing! Great food, fire, and family. Thank you for the journey.

15. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I sure appreciate it. Hopefully we'll be back up there this weekend. I've got a load of firewood coming that needs to be piled and burned! :D

16. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:

:eek:

[​IMG]

:4:

17. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    The stars aligned for my mom and I to have a mother-daughter weekend at Camp Nana this weekend. Her 72nd birthday is tomorrow so it was a big deal. She picked me up on Friday night and I drove us to Camp Nana for two nights of peacefulness.

We got in late on Friday night, so we picked-up burgers on the way, at a popular roadside place not far from camp. We ate as soon as we got the trailer but, a light rain was falling and we were both pooped. We ate, unpacked, chatted over warm milk and turned in early. Rain started falling at about 4am and, thanks to the sound on the trailer roof, we both slept until 10 am. 10 AM!!! I'm usually well into my day by that point. NICE!! If I did no more smoothing it this weekend, I would have been grateful for just this. :)

She had visiting/Birthday stuff to do with friends, and I really wanted some solo dirt time. I packed my hammock, lunch, snacks, my Crusrder kit and PSK, MP knife & Bacho Laplaner, safety lanyard WITH WHISTLE, leather gloves, bandana and a little FAK, and hit the trail.

There's bears down here, and thank to @Jim L.'s story about Stick this week, I was extra alert. Especially after my mom said "Be careful!" when I left. :eek: She only says that when I go by myself, which is hardly ever. When I go with the kids, she tells us to "Have fun!" I blame her for my baby bear encounter this time.

After applying bug goop at the trail head, the next I thing did was find a good stick to use as a walking stick/bear basher/foliage mover/entertainer.

P8170008.JPG

My Bacho Laplander is such a useful tool!

P8170018.JPG

I goofed around with it but I was "Bear Aware" alert. Little did I know....

P8170020.JPG P8170031.JPG

Then I was ready to hike, explore and find a place to make day camp. To be continued....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  18. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    There is lots of Birch bark laying about and I always grab a little to dry as I walk, for just case. I shoved some in my cargo pocket sheerly out of habit.

P8170022.JPG

I always carry my @Aion Innovation titanium striker with me but I've been neglecting it lately. I tested a few rocks, found a good one and put it in my pack. I'd end up thinking about throwing that stone later in the hike, when recalling @werewolf won's recent rock throwing thread called "Rocks". ;)

P8170003.JPG P8170001.JPG

Everything was so verdant and peaceful that I lost track of time - and my sunglasses - again. After almost an hour and half of site scouting, I realized that I had lost them. I had to backtrack to get them but it was totally worth it!

P8170023.JPG P8170033.JPG

I lost my sunglasses when I went to check out this tipi. It was really cool, but I had to creepy feeling that I was being watched. Recalling that I was in Bear country, I headed back to the main trail instead of making day camp. I spotted a good spot close to "Bear Hill Trail" when I first started hiking, so I decided to go back there.

P8170026.JPG

It rained on and off and all day, and it was totally welcome on this hike. It was a sticky 26/27C.

P8170045.JPG

The leaves have started changing, just like the seasons.

P8170040.JPG

To be continued....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  19. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    My plan when this adventure started was to make a walking stick/War Club, and then hike a little, find a spot to set up my hammock and make lunch. As I made my way back to a good site I spotted shortly after I started my walk, I was goofing with my walking stick "Bear Basher". That's when I saw a Black Bear cub saunter across my trail, from the trail (A.K.A. "Bear Hill Trail") that leads to Camp Nana. I did not see Mama Bear.

I was legit scared. I didn't take anymore pictures. I sat on that big moss covered log that I found (and you can see in the video) for a minute or so to calm down and collect my thoughts. Here's the strategy I came up with: The bear cub was maybe 400 meters in front of me, heading from my right to my left, across the trail I was on and coming from the trail I needed to take to get home, which was on my right. There's a secondary trail that dissects both trails and that was only about 100 meters in front of me, to my right. That's the one I took, making myself as big and loud as I could as I walked a slowly, blowing my whistle and swinging my War Club, with my MP Hunter Gatherer knife on my belt, scanning for mama and potential siblings. I hoped that baby(ies) would stay on the right side of the main trail and mama would follow it instead of blocking my path.

What would you have done? I'm re-thinking plans and supplies now so input is welcome. Please remember that I'm in Ontario, Canada so a gun is not an option.

20. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    When I made it safely back to the trailer I enjoyed a glass of Birthday white wine with my mom and her friend to help me calm down. PHEW!! Then I made a cup of noodles in the trailer, and then set about making bread. We prepped the quick bread, no-knead dough the night before and left it to rise. It takes about 40 minutes total effort to make this bread, plus about 12.5 - 24 hours or resting/rising/proofing time, and I thank @jstalljon for his recent thread "Easiest bread recipe I've seen..." thread for it!! :D

I pre-heated my Best Steel skillet with the BBQ. Getting the temperature right on the BBQ was the hardest part. You need 450 degrees. I let the temp fall to about 300 at the end of the bake time and didn't get a golden brown crust. It was crispy though!

P8170055.JPG P8170056.JPG P8170063.JPG P8170066.JPG P8170072.JPG P8170069.JPG P8170070.JPG

We had it for a snack later that afternoon, and then again for breakfast with poached eggs. I made a video of the bread making part, just 'cause.

Check these out if you want better advice and directions. :)

Attached Files:

21. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    After some rest and recoop, the sky cleared and it was time to get a fire started so that I could cook over it. I wasn't going to finish a BushClass lesson but I was determined to make my mom a gourmet campfire Birthday dinner.

Wood prep was first. I put my MP Hunter Gatherer knife through it's paces, including batoning. :)

P8170083.JPG

My Bacho Laplander came out to play again too. :D

P8170090.JPG

I was diligent about fire prep but not quite three times the prep. ;) I just got a cord of split wood and spent an hour or so stacking it, so I knew I was good with this fire, as long as I kept my tinder dry and moisture-free. Soon that would prove to be the hard part.

P8170093.JPG

I wanted to do fire by magnification (the little black baggie) this week but the Sun was not cooperating. I went with F&S instead. I had lots of tinder options but I chose Amadou, which I did NOT protect from the humidity and rain. It took FOREVER to get an ember!

P8170097.JPG

I took some short-cuts at first, including thinking that I could put my smouldering Amadou in here to and blow it to flames. Maybe on heat wave day not not this day, silly girl!

P8170099.JPG

Instead, I went right back to basics and did it right, with some ribbing from my neighnour. LOL!

P8170105.JPG P8170124.JPG P8170125.JPG

Into a nest of Birch bark and jute twine it went, and with a lot of patience, I finally got it. The Fire Gods keep sending me the same message "Slow down! Do your due diligence, girl!" I will listen from now on, I will listen from now on! I will listen from now on! LOL!

P8170127.JPG

FIRE! Finally! I had two grandmothers watching me, including my own mom, so I did not and could not cheat at this. I DID IT!! Some lessons are more painful than others. :D

P8170133.JPG

22. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I had missed a bunch of updates. It was worth it though to read through the summer with Nana.
    Thanks Jacqui, for all the smiles. I like the bear club, glad you didn’t have to test it. :)

23. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Once the fire was self-sufficient and burning well (it's didn't take long) I started adding split Ash to get a god bed of coals to cook over. It wasn't quite the inferno that JD, @MrFixIt was hoping for, but I was pretty happy with it. :D

P8170136.JPG P8170140.JPG

Then it was time to cook that feast. Corn on the cob and Brussels sprouts went on first, followed by a pot of crayfish and then a pan Sockeye Salmon from BC.

P8170141.JPG P8170146.JPG P8170144.JPG P8170148.JPG P8170143.JPG

Ever mindful of @rsnurkle's "Outdoor Cooking Practice" thread, I gave it TLC. I overcooked the crayfish, but the tails were delicious and the rest will make a good stock. ;)

P8170152.JPG

The Leatherman WAVE in my PSK came in handy to crack into the legs. I only wished I hadn't overcooked them, so that I could have enjoyed the claw meat as well. :( Does anyone have any good recipes or cooking tips?

P8170154.JPG

After dinner, we sat by the fire and caught up on everything. It's been a long time since we've had a chance to yak like that. I'm so grateful for the chance to "smooth it" with her. :)

P8170157.JPG

Thanks for joining us!

24. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I can't tell you how relieved I was that I didn't have to test it either, Ken. PHEW!! Holy Cow Bear! It's the first time I've crossed paths with a bear while hiking.

My only other face to face experience was when we had one come into camp at a Provincial Park one time. He sauntered into our dining area (about 100 meters from the campfire we were sitting at) and took a cardboard box (with a unopened vodka cooler in it) and went back into the woods with it. It was the only thing we had out at camp at the time, and the Park rangers said the bears have learned the plastic and cardboard means food. That bear got caught in a bear trap a day later, but not before raiding a newbie family of everything they had but themselves. (They were away from camp when he came in. PHEW!)

PHEW!

25. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    GREAT ADVENTURE!

when cooking dads or shrimp they get placed whole in the seasoned boiling water(they sink)

when they start floating they're ready to eat so get 'em out of the water

th'aint no exact time associated w/ this process

cooking crustaceans that have been headed changes the amount of time it takes for them to begin floating and over cooking prevails :-(

also when purchasing crustaceans you can tell if they really are fresh if the grocer/vendor is selling them w/ their heads on

crustaceans are not typically headed for sale until they begin to "ripen"

this is when the heads begin to get floppy at the point where they contact the tails

too many folks start w/ them in cold water bring 'em up to boiling and leave 'em in the water as it cools down(or some combination of that scenario) and they're over cooked IMHO

when i was cooking w/o a basket in my big pot i'd use a commercial(sized) bait(minnow) net to fish 'em out of the boiling water

when cooking in a smaller pot/sauce pan they'd get dumped into a colander/strainer to stop the cooking process

i now have a baskets for my pots(different sizes) which makes removal so much easier

we have found Zatarain's Crawfish, Shrimp & Crab Boil seasoning to be quite good

the smaller sizes of the liquid can be kept on hand for quite some time if you don't cook up large batches(6gal pot full) like we do

you can get it from Amazon if your local grocer doesn't carry it

when using a good quality of spices it is best to cook outdoors elst the aroma saturated steamy cloud will permeate your entire house(lingering for days) and sting the dickens out of your eyes ;-)

justa btw... you can keep/eat all those little baby cabbages up there ;-)

26. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Cousin @bacpacjac NEW young Roughian adventure girls?? :4: LMAO
    Regards
    David

[​IMG]

27. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    (playing air guitar)
    Alright,
    Now dig this, baby...
    You don't care for me
    I don'-a care about that
    Gotta new fool, ha!
    I like it like that
    I have only one burning desire
    Let me stand next to your fire
    Let me stand next to your fire
    (Repeat 4 times) :4: LOL
    Regards
    David

Ps. @MrFixIt P-L-E-A-S-E don't encourage Cousin @bacpacjac my fire is bigger than yours... :rolleyes: ROTFLMAO

28. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    @bacpacjac the bear story was indeed a rattling experience. I'm glad you are safe, and that you got to see a cub in the wild.
    The birthday dinner looked absolutely exquisite!
    Please tell Nana happy birthday (belated).

No worries @DavidJAFO , no encouragement from me is needed :4:

29. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    hahah!! Those two are true Roughians but they sure know how to smooth it. ;)

30. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Most excellent, @66drifter! Thanks so much! When I was growing up, Crayfish with endangered around here, so it's ingrained in me to not catch & cook them. My local butcher had these babies in on Friday so I snatched them up. I should have bought more, though. I'd forgotten how much I love them!!

31. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    hahah! I'm hearing it in my head with a Scottish accent. ;)

You shoulda seen it, Cousin. I put a bunch of pitchy Pine on it and it was an inferno! LOL!! My neighbour razzed me about using F&S, but then I delighted in telling him that my fire was bigger than his. HAHAH!

32. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    My heart is still racing, JD. First time theory and reality came together for me and I must say, I'm glad Abby wasn't with me. PHEW!

Happy Birthday wishes have been extended and she says "Thank you!"

33. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    :( & I thought I did a mean Jimi Hendrix impersonation boo hoo... your neighbour is just jealous. :p blows a raspberry LOL
    Regards
    David

34. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    way to go Cousin the PPPPPP did pay off. :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

35. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad the bear encounter didn't go sideways. Seeing a cub means mommy is close, and she won't be happy to see you.
    Folks keep telling me there's a nasty bear population where I live, yet up until last weekend I had never even seen a track much less an actual bear. I plan to get a couple whistles and some bear spray for my wife to carry ( meaning I will be carrying it :rolleyes: ). I have seen two bears in my life, and both were in the same area in the ADK's, and both humbled me and put me on alert.
    Using that whistle was a great way to make noise, but I would also get some bear spray ( if you can get/use it up your way ). Down side to the spray, it means that bear is close and you have to make sure you stay calm enough to be accurate with it.

I can't tell you how many times my neighbors have silently scoffed at me when I start my fires in the yard without a lighter, newspaper, or gas/lighter fluid. I shrug it off snickering to myself because I don't need to drop $3 worth of flammable liquid on wood to make a fire. :13:

Aside from the bear it still seems like you had a great time. Thanks for the update.

36. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    It was nerve-wracking knowing that she wasn't far away but not knowing where. Pepper spray is being considered, as is an air horn. There used to be a bear bell on my pack and there is again now. ; ) I figured if I was loud, big and slow, and gave her a wide birth to catch up with her cub, I'd be ok. Unless there was another cub out there somewhere. Apparently mama had two this Spring. UGH!

My neighbours were ribbing me about the F&S but it's therapy for me, and good practice. Nobody else seems to go up there to rough it. ;) Thanks for joining me!

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, CosmicJoke and 2 others like this.
  37. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Doodling in my journal tonight....

bear map.jpg

MrFixIt, DavidJAFO, rsnurkle and 4 others like this.
  38. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    A most enjoyable thread, this!
    It shows you don't need long, fancy hikes to have fun, enjoy life and learn outdoorskills!
    We have the Big Four around here (in some cases even literally); Bear, wolf, lynx and since fairly recently even wolverine (spotted some 30+ km to the north east), so I am always a bit cautious, when going on a solo hike, never trying to be as quiet as I can, even though I would love to spot some more wildlife. Spooked a moose once and that was quite unnerving... for both of us!

39. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    buckfynn, MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  40. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I have a new appreciation of wolverines since watching this recent season of Alone. Fascinating creatures and I'm glad they live far from here. Black bears, wolves and coyotes are more than enough for me. Rumor has it that we've got Cougars around here now but I don't think the MNR has confirmed whether they are residents or just traveling through. I've been extra alert when I'm out there.

haha! You remind me of a camping trip to Algonquin Park when I was in high school. We woke up to a baby moose walking through camp. That was terrifying. Just like my bear, we never did see Mama Moose. PHEW!

buckfynn, DavidJAFO and MrFixIt like this.
  41. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    buckfynn, DavidJAFO and MrFixIt like this.
  42. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    :4: Moi? never LOL Pacman came to mind when I read your thread & viewed your sketch.
    Regards
    David

bacpacjac and buckfynn like this.
  43. wannabee

wannabee Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    nice outing and a sweet MP knife

bacpacjac, DavidJAFO and buckfynn like this.