Camping/backpacking

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Jmartygraw, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jmartygraw

Jmartygraw Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I'm learning that NJ doesn't allow you to participate in dispersed/stealth camping. I'm seeing a bunch of camp grounds but in my experience they are noisy and crowded. How do you guys get outdoors here? Also, are they any camp grounds that are more spread out/private?

Thanks in advance:22:

Half Tread and Red Wing like this.
  2. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First, welcome from Missouri ! There are many, it seems, from your neck of the woods, who I'm sure will chime in soon with some camping info.

What's up with the pistola ? I thought NJ didn't allow such dangerous things ? :eek: lol.

Backyard likes this.
  3. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    No one allows stealth. Thats why its stealth lol.

State parks and forests usually require designated spots to camp.

National forests and wilderness areas almost universally allow dispersed primitive camping.

wingnuts, WhisperInThePine and Haggis like this.
  4. Jmartygraw

Blog Posts:
    Lol. The pistol is a 1 year process here. They make sure you are squeaky clean. Doesn't make sense (unless you are a protectionist) but you gotta do it if you want "dangerous" and "scary" toys. Now you want to talk murky water, an NJ legal ar15 is far less deadly than the real thing:42:.

On a serious note, are there any national forests or wilderness areas in NJ that you know of? After looking around the only spots I can find are on the Appalachian trail. There you have to be less that 100ft from the trail and are only allowed to stay overnight once on the trail for 48 hours.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    wingnuts and Backyard like this.
  5. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's NJ in-general; noisy and crowded ;-) I can say that because I was born and raised there. Anyway, off-season camping/hiking is the best way to avoid the crowds, but you can reduce your exposure to crowds through backpacking. My experiences have been that the folks willing to hike their gear into a camp site are more likely to be the kind of folks I won't mind camping around; The typical car camping crowd usually drives me nuts.

I finally moved to NC ;-)

wingnuts and Red Wing like this.
  6. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately not bud. Is what it is. Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Another plus side to backpacking or a light kit, is getting away from the crowds.

Only crowds i see anymore are scouts.

Nowhere will let you camp on the trail. Thats pretty standard, 100ft from trail. Ive always heard 2 weeks max before you have to move camp back country. AT is prob an exception because its so heavily trafficked.

You also really have to search for wilderness areas. Google maps is a great tool for this, as they arent really advertised.

Also, our local electric company has huge swaths of land you are free to peruse. AEP lands here in Ohio. Contact for permission.

7. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might want to check out PA state forests. Many have primitive sites that are isolated from other sites. Need to register but it's free.
    Many also allow one night camps along trails you are traveling. Check each forest for specific rules.

Red Wing likes this.
  8. Backyard

Backyard Guide

Blog Posts:
    You are correct, there is no dispersed camping in NJ. Come to PA, we aren't that far. While there are rules about dispersed camping along the AT, I've yet to meet anyone in a uniform from a State Forest while camping along the AT. Note I say State Forest rather than Park. I'm hoping to explore more of the State Forests along the PA / NJ border this year. Central PA is loaded with great land that is available for dispersed camping, the vast majority of it free to all. Yet Central PA is 2 - 3 hours west of my home.

Red Wing likes this.
  9. TrailJack

TrailJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the site, where in Jersey you from?

You can stealth camp all over NJ. If you make a fire you'll get caught, probably. No fire and get out of there at first light and you'd have no problem camping all over the place. But if you want to set up shop and do a little bushcrafting, fire, etc. you'd have a harder time getting away with it. If you do not want to take the chance than go to the Delaware Forest in PA (or one of the many other state forest in PA). You can do just about anything you want there and just about anywhere you want.

10. Jmartygraw

Blog Posts:
    Awesome thank you all for your help and knowledge. Going to PA sounds like it's the plan for backpacking/bushcobbling (crafting is when you are good at it:18:).

If I want to stay local are there any camp sites you guys recommend for a family weekend outing?

NJHeart2Heart and Red Wing like this.
  11. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dont you guys have the Pine Barrens?

Hear theyre pretty nice, never been but would like to go.

Half Tread likes this.
  12. CKjeep84

CKjeep84 Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you want quiet your better off sticking to the state forrests. I can't promise anything but that would be your best bet. If you have a kayak/ canoe there are places you can paddle camp.

13. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    @Jmartygraw Hey there from NWNJ. Sorry it seems none of us FROM NJ seemed to see this post! Although some of our neighbors above pretty much filled you in. NJ is quite rigid, and generally any overnight bushcrafting you want to do is going to be in established campgrounds.. and can get expensive! I've been a member of BCUSA for almost a year now, and since I joined we've been at Stokes State Forest, Brendan Byrne Forest, and Jenny Jump.

We will rent a group site and have at it... We're trying to figure out where to go in the fall and are contemplating Worthington State Forest just south of the Delaware Water Gap Recreational Area.

I hope you stick around and get to know some of your NJ neighbors. We are a nice crowd and I can say from personal experience, are warm and inviting!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Know the regs of where you are going
    Eastern pa has some wierd regs
    You can primitive camp 1 night with out a permit but you cant park at state forest parking areas overnight
    Gamelands you can park overnight but you cant camp
    I camp both in ny and pa
    Much rather camp in ny
    3 nights no permit required no problem with parking

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  15. 1066vik

1066vik Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've camped and hiked in the pine barrens, and done some hiking in Eastern PA an hour or so West of king of prussia.

Half Tread likes this.
  16. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    Where exactly are you in NJ? north/south? Around 07801 (Part of the Skylands Region of the state) from closest to farthest is Mahlon Dickerson COUNTY Reservation, Jenny Jump State Forest, Stokes State Forest, High Point. Also there are some commercial campgrounds too:

http://www.newjerseycampgrounds.com/index.php/22-regional-description/13-skylands-region

17. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's an area you most like
    could find an off the path stealth spot, unfortunately that area is a huge federal tract that lacks enforcement. Not enough rangers for the area. Good for campers bad for hunters (except the locals that jack deer like crazy!) google maps is your friend!