Camping In Kisatchie Wilderness Area

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Wulf, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey, everyone. Some of you may know that I've been planning a two-night camping trip with some friends of mine at Kisatchie Wilderness Area in Alexandria. None of us have any real experience with this type of camping, and I'm wondering if we're biting off more than we can chew? I've never been to Alexandria, let alone Kisatchie. I have been collecting gear as the funds became available, and have watched countless YouTube videos, and have stalked these forums and member blogs for a long while. But I've yet to have time to do more than quick hiking trips. My friends and I have been camping before, but not without restrooms and running water.

Should we perhaps go somewhere "safer" to camp this time around? Like Fountainblue on the Northshore? If not, is there anything in particular we need to be aware of at Kisatchie Wilderness Area? Is it easy to find? Is parking available?

My idea was to drive to a trailhead (I can't remember the name now, but it's in the Wilderness Area), park, backpack on the trail relatively close to the car, and setup camp off the trail a little ways. Is this feasible in this area?

Thank-you in advance for your help!

2. stalbot

stalbot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Kisatchie surrounds Alexandria, so it's easy to find with a basic map. It's been years since I've been down there but spent a whole lot of time there in my youth. The Forest Service stays busy in kisatchie so trails should be well marked.

3. stalbot

stalbot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Also if the area you're hiking in is open to hunting make sure you've got hunter orange.

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    there's a vault toilet at the Caroline Dorman/Backbone Trailhead, and i'm pretty sure there's running water and real bathrooms a little further south on the access road at the scenic overlook. Kajun Kat was there and can give a better description.

The Wilderness is open to hunting, but as no ATVs are allowed, the hunters in there are probably die hards who actually know the difference between deer and people, but i'd wear a blaze orange hat regardless.

The southern end of the loop is well marked. if you go in the northern side, unless they've redone it in the past couple years, it was poorly marked (there's a hard left that you tend to miss, putting you down in a swamp instead of up on the high ground). you can camp off trail on either side of it, and in either direction (east into the Wilderness area or west along the caroline dorman trail, which is technically in the red dirt area). we had our April 12 Gathering right there at the trailhead, maybe 30 yards west... nice area. do a search for that thread for some pics.

5. Wulf

Wulf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the help, guys! I forgot about the hunter's orange. I'll be sure to pick something up from Academy before we go. Thanks again for your help, Seeker. I'd love to do a trip with you one day, man. I appreciate that you're always so willing to help out. Thanks.

6. bigeyed76

bigeyed76 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Central La

Hello every one, I am a newbe and just getting started in the more "primitive" arts. I have camped, fished, hunted- bow and gun. I have 2 young boys and they are showing a interest in getting out in to the woods more, the wife, not so much..lol.. I would like to be able to teach and expose them to as much as I possibly can and this is right in their wheel house. I would like to get together with others in my area, as I live next to the greatest national forest in the south Kisatchie. You can literally go on my lease where I hunt and find arrow heads exposed in some of the wash outs. It makes me yearn to do what the natives did and live off the land which is so bountiful around me. So if you would like to write me an email or come visit let me know. I hope to enjoy the company of likeminded people