Camping on Cape Cod

Discussion in 'New England' started by delkancott, Oct 31, 2013.

1. delkancott

delkancott Guide

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know of good places to camp on the Cape this time of year? I'd prefer it to be non-car camping, but am really open to anything.

Thanks.

2. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Definately, Nickerson State Park in Brewster, they offer RV, tent, and primitive sites, there are three great ponds teaming with trout and some small mouth bass, Big Cliff, Little Cliff, and Flax Pond, they are also great canoe waters, at this time of year all the tourist are gone and you have your pick of campsites, you'll have to bring your own wood for fires and the water may be shut off and rest rooms closed, then again maybe not, but you can call ahead, the rangers are there year around, my favorite place on the Cape.

werewolf won likes this.
  3. delkancott

delkancott Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. According to their website they are closed for camping for the season, but I will call anyway.

4. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    They may have changed the regs. but my wife I have camped there several times in Nov. and Dec. in good weather.

5. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don't know the name of it but there is a campground on the Cape Cod Canal. My dad usually parks there to hit one of his favorite fishing holes on the canal. He's out there this weekend and apparently the stripers are going crazy right now and taking pretty much any lure you put in front of their face.

werewolf won likes this.
  6. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Bourne Campground, It's mostly for RV and tent trainers, not much in the way of primitive camping.

7. Corpus

Corpus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you are still looking you might try Shawmee-Crowell state forest in Sandwich...I've been thinking of giving them a call for winter Hammock camping/group hang. They supposedly do offer winter camping, but I do not know yet if it is only for self-contained vehicles or what.

8. Corpus

Corpus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Shawme-Crowell state forest (Sandwich,MA)is open for winter camping only Thurs,Fri,and Sat...Sunday ONLY if following Monday is a holiday. Only area 2 is open and (camp) Hammocks ARE allowed. Just spoke to them and Pete was very helpful and is usually at park from 1 to 9 pm self check-ins are allowed.
    Obviously this is not exactly "in the wild" but he tells me they are usually empty from Dec on. $12 for MA residents.

9. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that, it must be a new cost cutting measure, I've camped there in my RV in December before.

10. MLO334

MLO334 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nickerson is awesome

11. JasonBilly

JasonBilly Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Start for winter is campground suggestions for the Cape? I'm intending to do a short visit out and back for the most part on the staying at a tent- presumably spending around 5- 6 nites out.