Campout in Kisatchie Jan. 30 - Feb. 1

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Forestree, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Planning to do this somewhere on the Kisatchie ranger district in Natchitoches parish. I've got plenty of good spots in mind, but exactly where will depend on the number of folks coming and the weather. It'll be car camping (or close), but still primitive.....no toilet or potable water.

It'll be an informal deal with nothing planned except for burning some wood and cooking :) Planning to be in an area that'll have plenty of wood for bushcraft fun. There'll be places close by to squirrel and rabbit hunt and/or hike if you choose to do so.

Anyone else interested? I'll be there regardless :D

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Burning wood? I'm in! Food is good too.

I'll most likely be there, wherever "there" is. Gotta check the work schedule, but I think I'm good.

We did a gathering at the Caroline Dorman/Backbone trailhead a few years ago. Not a lot of wood there though... But there is a nice bathroom nearby, and another with running water iirc, at the Overlook.

3. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Well we're up to two now :4: I just randomly picked the date to give some notice so people could plan it. Could possibly end up at my place depending on the number of folks and whether or not it's flooded :15: Plenty of other good spots around regardless.

4. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Your place is closer for the Texans... and we'd have Christmas lights!

Hope this generates some action... There's a bunch of folks I'd like to see again... KajunKat, w/mrs kat and their 4 kittens, Swamprat and his son, and TheKid.... jrabb isn't far either, and there are at least 3 or 4 more who live within 30 miles of you or me who I'd like to finally meet.

5. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Bushcrafter with a Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Is this in East or West LA?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  6. Forestree

Blog Posts:
  7. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'd call it West...

8. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, I will have to check the calendar when I get home.

9. MLarson

MLarson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm currently scheduled to work on the 30th but, I'll see what I can do to either get the day off or get a trade. Appreciate the invite. Will be nice to meet you guys.

10. bigeyed76

bigeyed76 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My son and I would be interested to come. We live in Hineston La.:4:

11. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I've been doing a little scouting the past few days for a good camping area and found an ideal spot. I used to spend a lot of time here years ago and almost forgot about it. It's quiet and off the beaten track but still accessible to a car. Lots of dead wood laying around too. Here's some pictures I took:

Site on top of the ridge near the road and accessible to vehicles

044.jpg

Following an old trail out the back of the site brings you down into a hardwood bottom.....about 250 yards down to a creek with some nice rock shoals. Doesn't look like anyone has camped down there in a long while. This is a really nice spot, but would be a short walk with gear. I can bring a wagon to help haul heavier stuff down there also.
    039.jpg
    040.jpg
    041.jpg

Anyway, this seems as good an area as any and offers plenty of room with the option to camp next to their car or down by the creek or wherever they want. If this site ends up being occupied that weekend, there's plenty of backup spots also. This area is in the SW portion of the district as well as the backup spots if that helps you make up your mind as far as driving goes :)

Feel free to pm me for any questions or post them up here.....looking forward to it!

12. saustin1967

saustin1967 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Let me check, will not be back at work until next week. Gotta make it though this week and San Saba. I'll let you know. But most likely I'm in.

13. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    May not be able to do the whole weekend, maybe make it over for a visit, though.

14. saustin1967

saustin1967 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just looked at the calendar, I am on call that weekend. So looks like I am out. Sorry guys, maybe next time, looks like an awesome location.

15. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Bummer man but thanks for the update....we'll save you a patch of dirt or a couple trees just in case things change :D

16. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    Me and my wife would be up for it if you don't mind a couple newbs joining in. We are use to roughing it and staying in National Forest.

We don't have a bunch of bushcraft equipment yet so might would have to do a tent still.

17. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Of course y'all are welcome to join. I'm new too, heck nobody knows everything :) Sleep in whatever arrangements y'all prefer....there's even spots close by if someone wanted to bring their RV :D

Stay tuned as we get closer to that weekend. I'll get in contact the week of with everyone that is coming to give directions or plan to meet them somewhere. Looking forward to it!

18. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Bushcraft is more an attitude of self reliance, at least to me... I'll camp next to you (provided you haven't been drinking or are snoring.) My own tent is the kind that hangs a little bit up off the ground... don't much care if it's not "bushcrafty"... I have friends up north, grown men who camp, but get chills when I tell them about the bugs and snakes down here... no shame in a tent.

Might help me get my own wife out if she knew there was company.... (she hates bugs. i keep telling her it doesn't get any less buggy in LA than January.)

19. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    So hows it looking for the event? Those pics look nice. Would be nice to have this warm weather so we'll probably end up with snow, lol.

So what do we need to bring? How e can we help out or contribute to the outing?

I look forward to it. Thought for a moment e were going to have to cancel for a grandkid birthday party but they went ahead and set it for this upcoming weekend leaving us free for this event ... so we will be there.

20. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also I am confused a bit. Being a Texas boy, with a south Louisiana Kemmer Curr squirrel dog, lol, which one of these license do I need to get to enjoy a little squirrel hunting or rabbit hunting while there?

[​IMG]

21. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Forestree's probably the best guy to anser the license question.

Still trying to convince my wife to come up for even just part of Saturday... another woman there will help me... thanks.

Forestree, I got a spare propane tank I can bring, if you're cooking something that needs it. Can also bring charcoal, a cooler or 3 (warning, they are all meat coolers... I'm not picky... some folks are) with ice, and some venison roasts (though I have no idea how to cook them outside my own kitchen). Lemme know what to bring.

22. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    Me too, I got just about any camping gear needed. 3 propane tanks, cookers, grills, Coleman stoves, dutch ovens.

Tell the misses to join us if she wants. My wife is always game for fishing, hunting, shooting, camping etc. .. but is still very girly, lol. Loves to fish but I have to bait the hook and take the fish off, lol, that's why we mainly fly fish, don't like having to bait her hook all the time.

We have an extra air mates for her so she can sleep as good as at home.

Hope others are planning to attend.

I have a bunch of deer meat as well, ham, bunch of ribs and chicken to bring.

23. Forestree

Blog Posts:

As far as I know at this point, it'll possibly be those who posted up in this thread along with theonceremoved who posted in the TX thread and my regular camping pardner. I figure once the 10 day forecast is showing for that weekend, we'll be able to get an official headcount :D Camped this weekend and it was really nice for sure....short sleeves and sun.

As far as what to bring, I guess mainly just what you'll need (snow boots, swim suit, rain coat, tarp.....). The weather forecast and number of folks will help give a better idea.

Food wise, I personally think doing more of a group type meal is nice. Of course everyone is welcome to eat what they want, but it'd be cool if we could organize some group meals (at least at dinner). I'm not the greatest cook, but I'm willing to pitch in my services and food for the effort.

Hopefully we can get a semi-official headcount the week of and will be able to plan on what to bring including what cooking supplies we'll need.

Unless you're a LA native (w/birth certificate), you'll need the $29 one day permit

24. Forestree

Blog Posts:

Sounds good guys, thanks for offering the food and gear. Talking with my buddy we came up with some ideas for cooking as well. Once the headcount is in, we'll all figure it out....would hate to have 50 lbs of meat and only 5 people to eat it :)

25. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Well, since y'all started me thinking about food now :4: , guess we could start talking about it. A couple of things I thought about having for the group was some boudin links in foil (easy and no prep or cleanup) and there'll be some non spicy for you Seeker :) , thought about smoking some poultry on my not-so-bushcrafty smoker, and wanted to try to do some fried rice in a big wok I acquired (gonna need to practice that one first). I'll bring some veggies (carrots, broccoli, celery, cauliflower) and some ranch as well.

123456 012.jpg

26. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Would those two happen to be jambalaya-stuffed chickens? (there's not a slobber-lickin' smiley, is there?)

BTW, Forestree, if you need help getting anything done this coming weekend, I'm free... gotta prune my rosebush saturday or sunday (according to the Old Farmer's Almanac), but aside from that, all I was planning was to try to kill some squirrels...

May try to get some starch out of that greenbriar root I dug up last weekend, and see if that's tasty... you know, for a group tasting...

Anyway, lemme know if you need some help getting ready.

27. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    I saw a couple of YouTube videos showing how to make a bushcraft smoker. Maybe we could try that. I have some small hickory cut up that would make good smoking wood.

I even have a couple turkeys in the freezer. We could pretend we stalked and then took it with a tomahawk. Just let me know and I will take it our of the packaging and drag it around in the woods to give it a gamey flavor.

28. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:

Them theRe are some good looking birds. Look like they got a great smoke on them.

I will bring the stuff to do a Dutch oven mountain breakfast on morning. Might even throw some Cajun seasoning in it for you Louisiana folks.

29. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Those chickens weren't stuffed with anything.....just a lot of farm fat and grease....not sure if I have been doing it right but usually comes out cooked, smokey and juicy. That would be awesome to eat some greenbriar, at least just to say I've done it :) If you wanted to ride up this weekend, I'm sure there's some stuff we could get ready out there and maybe stack some firewood. Shoot me a pm if you want to meet up

I'd be all up for building a bushcraft smoker, sounds fun, let's plan on it :dblthumb:

30. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Then you're doing it right.

Lemme see what the weather's doing in a day or so, and I'll PM you.

31. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Getting close

We're about a week away from the campout and the 10 day weather forecast is showing. I'll be there regardless of the weather with a smile. Everyone is welcome whether you show up for the day or stay for a night or both. Planning on some good eats, bushcraft fun, and hanging out with fellow members....should be a good time. There's lots of nice woods all around to explore/hunt/hike in.....no reason to not have fun :)

Not sure who all is gonna be there, but in the interest of planning purposes, please post up here or PM me. Want to make sure there'll be enough room at the site to accommodate everyone....or if we have to go somewhere else (no problem). I also want to make sure everyone planning to come has a contact # and good directions. Looking forward to it!

32. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    We plan on being there. Scheduled 1/2 day off work that Friday so we can get all the way over that way and set up before it gets dark.

PM incoming with my info.

Looking forward to.

33. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Forestree,

I'm definitely there too, rain or shine. Still working on getting Mrs. Seeker to come out at least for the day to meet some of you lot. PM inbound.

34. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    As Burt Reynolds (Lewis in the movie) said in the great movie Deliverance "This gonna be fun!"

Hopefully, that won't be the famous last words cause I am probably the fat guy of the group and I don't care to be no Ned Beaty (Bobby in the movie who grunts like a pig), lol!

So what about LA pistol laws? Here we can legally carry concealed in our vehicle. Don't need no trouble, lol. Hunt them tree rats with my pistol 22/45 Lite that has a Burris Fastfire III on it.

Also where would be the nearest Walmart so I can pick up my non-resident hunting license or any other place I can buy it at?

Any hogs in the area and can they be taken with that small game license or whatever it was called?

35. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I am still, unfortunately, conditioned by my NY upbringing to not carry a pistol anywhere except in the trunk of my vehicle... have no idea what's legal in the front/cab... I don't have a concealed permit, so I only use it in the woods... even then, I prefer my 10/22 (or season-appropriate rifle.)

Nearest Walmart, assuming you're coming in from the South or West, is in Leesville... if you're coming in from TX on TX63/LA8 (Burkeville), you'd have to turn South on LA171 to get there. If you're coming in on 190 (BonWier), you'll go past either the DeRidder Walmart (a happenin' place on a Friday night... jk. I was just there a couple hours ago, grocery shopping, and it was weird as usual, but quiet) or the Leesville Walmart (weird in its own way, as Walmarts are). Both are on the West side of 171. You can find exact directions on google maps. You might find the DeRidder one easier to get to and in/out of, given the option, as Leesville is a military town, the Walmart there is slightly larger (both are "super" Walmarts though), and I find the Leesville one is more crowded and harder to get in and out of due to some strange traffic patterns and heavy military patronage (especially on a friday afternoon on a payday.)

Neither one has had .22 ammo in awhile, but most other popular calibers are pretty well stocked most of the time.

As far as I know, pigs are fair game whenever there's another season open (small game, rabbit/squirrel, runs through the end of February, so you're good.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  36. VoodooChild1177

VoodooChild1177 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was stationed out there for a few years. Awesome woods out there. I've had many great adventures out there, both personal and military. Some areas can be treacherous to walk through (vine, thick bush), but it sure doesn't lack in beauty.

37. Forestree

Blog Posts:

Just saw Seeker's response with some good info while I was typing this (I'm slow :) )

From what I understand about LA gun laws is that your vehicle is considered an extension of your home and you can keep your gun wherever you want.....I prefer under the seat so it doesn't get stolen at the grocery store.

Depending on which route you choose, licenses can be gotten in Many and Leesville for sure. With the small game license you'd be able to shoot as many hogs as you want.....as long as it is with the legal firearm for the current open season.....which would mean rimfire or shotgun. That's my understanding, but here's the official LA hunting regs in .pdf....most notably is the federal lands section at page 106.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/...015_louisiana_hunting_regulations_low_res.pdf

I'm not a big hunter but I can put you on some fresh hog sign if that's what you want to hunt. I rustled up a group of hogs several days ago in the same bottom land area about a half mile away (as the crow flies) from the camp site. There's a crappy video and story behind it, haha :) I haven't done much wandering around the camp area so not sure if there's any hog activity on this side of the creek.

38. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    I plotted my course and will be coming through Many. Going to take the scenic route.

Thanks for the info.

Of course I am coming down there to have fun and hang with you guys so the pigs ate a side note and not that important and more like a side question. No biggy either way as I do not plan to spend most of my time hunting cause I would miss out on too much fun hanging with you guys.

39. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    OK... I was just up in Arkansas and went through Many... there is a Walmart on the north side of town, on 171 (and again, on the west side of the road.)

40. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like I may have two more coming. I will confirm tomorrow night.

Seeker you talk that wife of your into it yet? If the other two come one will be another woman.

If it help get her to come I would be more than happy to dress in drag.

Looking forward to it guys!

41. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, talked to her, no she's still not coming... I doubt she'll change her mind, but I haven't given up on her...

btw, bring an extra spoon knife for me... i saw your work on that other thread, and I'm definitely going to be picking your brain on spoons... I've made several, but not that nice.

42. texasrimfirenut

texasrimfirenut Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lol I will bring you a spoon. Not sure I will be good for picking my brain cause I have only done 4 spoons. First one was a month or so ago.

43. Forestree

Blog Posts:
  44. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Got some firewood stacked up and freshened up the stair case to the creek today......heading to the grocery store tomorrow to procure some woods food just in case y'all don't kill any squirrels :) The weather forecast is getting better by the hour, looks like the rain is gonna hold off for the most part until late Saturday night. Will make for some good woods sleeping with the sound of rain hitting the tarp or tent fly. Bring the rain gear for Sunday.....looks like it's a sure thing. Weather forecasters don't lie ;)

Looking forward to it, it'll be a good time :)

45. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I am so ready for this... work is pretty boring this week, but at least there's human contact, so the stories are good.... meeting some interesting folks in any case...

Will finish packing tomorrow night. Got a firesteel blank for texasrimfirenut sitting out so I remember it. Have some bacon (you never have 'enough') ready to go to, and some of my food.

Talked with my task group lead today, and I'm on track to get off around 2 or 2.30 Friday (ahead on hours), which is excellent.

Anyone got any interest in seeing any particular piece of my gear? Knives, axes, guns, bow, alcohol stoves, cooking pots, canvas, bags, kits, or other weird crap you see in my pics? Sometimes I get to a meet and someone asks about something I could have brought but didn't for whatever reason. PM me if so.

I will not be bringing my alcohol stove collection, and I've traded my swedish mess kit. I can bring a hand drill set if anyone's interested in showing me how to use it (thanks balexander87), 'cause I still can't get it to run. I will also have a small Paderno sheet steel frying pan, if anyone's interested in seeing how that works vs cast iron. I've only seasoned it a couple times, but it works pretty good.

One thing I'd be very interested in seeing is any Adventure Sworn knife... I have been saving up for just the right Nessmuk, and might be able to finally bid on one, IF I knew what they felt like in the hand (or maybe I'll get lucky and win a build in Cody's raffle). Promise I won't try to steal it (though I can't be counted on to not try to bribe Forestree into doing that for me. Man, they are beautiful knives...)

DBX, if you come, and I really hope you do, bring a Tracker/any Tracker. It is worth the price of admission to watch you make curls with yours (your Tracker... not that other thing you do...lol)

46. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Too many family obligations to bring any of the kittens so I will use the last weekend of deer season in MS to try and put something in the freezer. I hope yall have a ball... Take lots of pictures.

47. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    @Seeker - Bring it all man, I'd be interested in seeing some more of your getup. Should be able to haul whatever with the atv and wagon. I don't have an adventure sworn knife, but I did get a new hollow handle survival knife :) And I have zero experience with a hand drill. I'll be looking for you around 3 or so. My friend will probably be a little later than that. texasrimfirenut ran into some family stuff so he won't be making it.....as of now it's 3 of us.....I definitely bought too much food, haha. Also, bring a rod if you want to try some fishing, or I have an extra.

@KajunKat, thanks for the update and hopefully we'll meet in the future. Good luck on getting some meat

48. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    Guys, not able to get out there, this weekend.
    Sudden family drama. No emergency, just some new responsibilites needing my time.

Hopefully (!), it will free up more woods time in the future.

49. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Well Poo! Actually, that's more bacon for the rest of us, right? Then Yay!

So the cookie crumbles. There will be other times. Good luck, Mike and Darryl, on your other business...

50. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    @DBX - thanks for the update, and I hope things work out well. Planning to make it to the Sam Houston gtg in April, so maybe see you there