1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain the merits of the HC canteen kit?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by CoolBreeze135, Feb 3, 2017.

1. superpaco

superpaco Scout

Blog Posts:

You and my buddy would get along famously, he also has the Ti sickness. Pretty much any piece of gear that is offered in both Ti and SS he will get the Ti. He packs like a sentimental hobo moving house so any weight savings is going to be to his benefit, but man does he put out some serious coin putting his kit together....

2. IamLegend

IamLegend Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Your saying that the crusader set is much heavier? What other differences is there?

The Woodsrunner and Subdood like this.
  3. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Crusader is a complete self contained cooking kit. It has the plastic Canteen, plastic cup, metal cup, two lids(one for the plastic cup and one for the metal one I think) and a cooker unit that can use heat tabs (hexamine or the like) or a small alcohol stove.

gohammergo and IamLegend like this.
  4. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Crusader...
    Designed to be used by tough, YOUNG British soldiers....?

ezra

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. IamLegend

IamLegend Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like it! I want one! I think I'm gonna try the HC also but I'm more excited about this setup!

6. saryat

saryat Scout

Blog Posts:
    In Poland there is a saying: money is not everything in life "

7. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The short answer is there isn't any justification for this overpriced "satchel" .

8. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Except that I want one, that is the only justification I need.

9. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, if you got the $$ and the itch...scratch it!

10. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hereby declare page three of this thread to be the...

Wait for it...

Satchel page. Yeah, yeah... I know, spelling. Couldn't help myself.

[​IMG]

Oh, God, I crack myself up. I'm in town all week, tip your waitresses...

Judge, operatord, kenosis and 3 others like this.
  11. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    There are very few pieces of kit that I own that I classify as "Hall of Farmers", and by that I mean pieces of kit that I would not be without. My heavy cover Ti Canteen Kit is on this short list. If something happened to it, I would order its replacement immediately, without hesitation, and without researching alternative replacements. IMHO it's that good!

To be honest, I have two sets and keep one in my truck with my urban ghb. Just don't tell my bride!

12. hicountry

hicountry Blue Granite Bushcraft Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I got over the Made in China thing knowing some awesome Chinese people.
    Made in America is still a big deal for me though my Chinese friends reminded me that there's plenty of corrupt manufacturing, sweat shops and other issues not confined to China.
    I couldn't disagree, but steel manufacturing needs to come home to the US soon.

That being said I do own two HC sets.
    I used to live in Europe so I like to have some euro surplus stuff when I go out.

This French rucksack has side pockets that fit the HC perfectly,
    in this picture there's a canteen on each side.
    DSC_9165.JPG

The French canvas canteen cover is lined with wool.
    It fits the HC set with room to spare,
    so I put my Ti Emberlit inside to make a complete kit.
    DSC_9206.JPG

Things do nest with the HC, I added a USGI stove stand to keep the cup cleaner in the fire.
    DSC_9212.JPG

DSC_9217.JPG

Zero complaints with the HC kit.
    Price point is what it is, you're also supporting a combat vet.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  13. mjf

mjf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since I am a Ti gear junkie I think this is canteen is great. Now I want the Ti canteen and the Ti Emberlit stove, even though most of my hiking and camping is in no fire zones.

rcwells and JosephDurham like this.
  14. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hicountry likes this.
  15. dang

dang Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Does anybody know if the nalgene canteens will nest inside the HC canteen cup?

16. Eric Westbrook

Blog Posts:
    Yes they do....

17. theonceremoved

theonceremoved Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    i use a mollie carrier i put the lid in first flat on the bottom then the bottle and cup on top
    to the OP there is no advantage , its all up to you , if you do not get one you will most likely not regret it. However if you do get on you will most likely love it. my UL hiking buddies think its crazy to have but they are carrying super expensive packs with no back support limited to 25 lbs..i dig it ...whatever gets ya in the great outdoors.... this whole outdoor thing is what you make it. Make yourself happy brother take care of your family but dont forget to be good to yourself as well. Best of luck

rsnurkle and JosephDurham like this.
  18. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know this is a old post and a late answer buuut.
    I look at it like this. Al Linder the griz Gary roach did not make into the fishing hall of fame withe all the fancy gadgets now days. It was plane and simple knowledge
    The weight thing will go on for ever
    I do the same got replaced hips always looking to lighten up
    I just leave stuff at home makes my pack lighter.
    I have never missed a fish because I did not have a 400$ reel.
    I think I could put a lot of gas in my tank and go make a memory at some place I have never been.
    But Affording $160 canteen is what makes America great

19. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i personally think with any gear if you can afford it (ie don't go broke or put your self in debt over buying it) and you won't kick your self for spending your hard earned money on it.... go for it!

i personally am pretty cheap and save up cash for all my purchases, if the money isn't in the bank i don't spend it. can i afford a $160 canteen sure... can i buy it with out regret.... nope! that's why i don't own one. personally when i starting spending anything close to 100 or more i get very picky and take a very long time to pull the trigger on it.

pfluggy and CoolBreeze135 like this.
  20. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

Well said. At the end of this saga, I'm not quite convinced to spend the cash on one, but I'm glad that it exists and that other people enjoy it so much. I like lightweight, but my nalgene + nesting titanium pot are roughly the same weight and cost me $40. I do think the HC product is really neat, and by no means am I saying it is wrong or foolish to spend that kind of money on a canteen.

I have to pick my battles, and this isn't one I'm going to choose right now. Maybe later, maybe not.

The Woodsrunner, ra2bach, Oni and 2 others like this.
  21. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Same. For me, any purchase over about $50 requires a lot of thought on my part. But that's just me (I have been accused of being overly analytical before).

22. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Price? Well all my needs are met, thank God. So all I really have to worry about is my wants. As long as I keep my wants within my budget, I will buy it. I won't go in debt to get it. I might have t save for a while to get what I want. But, usually if I want it I get it, sooner or later. I look at stuff like this.....I buy the best I can afford, that way if it fails I know I at least bought they best I could afford. That way I never wonder, "what if"?

23. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol, I was going to say 50 my self!
    I've been accused of being to analytical myself a few times
    Glad I'm not alone!

CoolBreeze135 and blind & lost like this.
  24. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you want something, the bills are all paid, and you can afford it, then make the final decision yes or no. To each their own.

25. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    there are benefits to the canteen shape over round bottles/cups if you carry primarily on the outside of a pack or belt or load bearing gear. ti makes it light AND strong.

there is a benefit of being able to boil in the canteen because the 700ml cup is not really big enough to boil all the water you might need and/or be able to eat out of it at the same meal.

I use the HC cup and lid with the Nalgene Oasis canteen but I would love a whole kit. the combination seems to have a synergy greater than its parts...

blind & lost likes this.
  26. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    holds a little more water than a GI canteen and saves about 4 ozs.

27. Cattle Bandit Lawson

Cattle Bandit Lawson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the poster. Hc is a neat looking option, but 900ml bot is far superior. Saves the weight of a cooking cup that is 200ml bigger, maybe 300ml to rim, while still able to be a canteen. plus 700ml is to small and 900ml can feed two people. If you put a silicone wrist bracelet around a nalgene it fits silenty in the vargo bot. Plus Titanium cools off so fast you dont even need a pot grabber, or use another silicone band on the bot for alcohol cooking. $70 on massdrop

Hc 700ml cup shape looks awkward to use, the narrow mouth canteen is really limited in use, cannot house food. Also people give you looks if you walk around with military shaped gear. Plus hc isn't that lightweight and the addition of a special mother cover kills the weight savings.

No frills vargo bot > hc

28. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Bush Nerd Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Different options for different purposes. I would venture to guess most people with a canteen set aren’t wanting something to feed two.

Actually not awkward to use at all. The handle design is great too.
    No experience with the bottle, but I do know a narrower neck canteen just feels better to drink out of than a wide mouth bottle.

As far as people lookin at me weird, I don’t give a hoot.

As long as I don’t go around wearing a MultiCam boonie cap with grass sticking out the top or something, I doubt they will be bothered by it.

If you compare apples to apples on a similar featured Bot carrier, you might find it really isn’t a great argument for one over the other.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

ra2bach likes this.
  29. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Bush Nerd Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I bought the cup and lid portion. Paired it with a Nalgene canteen. Loving it so far.

Right now, while I still buy quality kit, I do have to be wise about my spending at this point in life. Everything has to go by a “cost vs. benefit” analysis.

While I will probably someday pick up the canteen, right now in life, the benefits just weren’t there for the $100 canteen. They were there for the $55 cup and lid set.

It came down to, “Will I really ever really need to boil water in the canteen?” “Uh, probably not. Especially not right now in life.”
    “Is there a substantially cheaper but yet acceptable quality option that will fulfill my needs adequately?” “Yes, the Nalgane canteen.”

“Will I really ever need to boil water or cook in the canteen cup?” “Yes, I will definitely use it for that.”
    “Is there a substantially cheaper but yet acceptable quality option that will fulfill my needs adequately?” “Military surplus maybe. Definitely not drinking out of surplus aluminum. Don’t trust the surplus steel completely, it is going to be a bit heavier, and I don’t necessarily love the handle styles I have seen.”

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017 at 8:30 AM
    ra2bach likes this.
  30. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not really. I work in a hospital, 5 days a week, the HC Canteen is always with me. Everyone knows it’s mine, and even had a few docs compliment it. It’s a good conversation piece. lol

blind & lost and The Woodsrunner like this.
  31. Eric Westbrook

Blog Posts:
    To me, the deciding factor would be the shape, does the canteen shape fit better into your world than the round bottle.

Not enough weight difference to worry about, canteen is 6 oz and a 40 oz KK is 9.7 oz. The cup & lid weigh about the same as any Ti bottle cup. Add 2 # of water and the difference fades quickly.

I found a good deal on a set at the same time I had the money so I got it and have been trying it out. I've been a round bottle guy up to this point, so we'll see how it goes...

blind & lost likes this.