Can you shine bees waxed boots?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by JOttum, Mar 24, 2019.

1. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So, I have lots of experience from the military with shining boots using good ol' kiwi. Now for the first time ever I have some rocky Ironclad's that are brown. I bought them to hike in. I'm thinking of coating them in beeswax to waterproof them and I'm wondering if I can then shine them up? You know, on Sunday's when I'm going to to look all nice and presentable.

Would I use a neutral color kiwi or would the saturated beeswax just shine up? would shining cause the waterproofing to wear out sooner?

Thanks for any advice all.

DavidJAFO, Winterhorse and Quinlan like this.
  2. 1066vik

1066vik Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    saturated beeswax will take a light shine with a brush, but if you want better, I'd go with neutral or light brown kiwi.
    shining won't hurt it any, because you're adding wax.

3. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I thought as much, but I appreciate the pro tip very much!

Love the user name btw! We Vikings were doing so well until 1066 hit and the whole plan went to S###!

4. SilverFox

SilverFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    I routinely use bees wax on boots/shoes, then follow up with a regular shoe polish.Works great for me.

Winterhorse, ExAF1N1 and JOttum like this.
  5. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Old wool sock/mitten is the secret to gloss...

JeffG, DavidJAFO, Winterhorse and 3 others like this.
  6. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been using SnoSeal for 40 years, which has lots of wax in it. I also use it on my Brooks bike saddles, along with Kiwi clear. The only thing about wax is that it's not a solution that lasts. You have to keep applying it periodically to maintain the water resistance. It's not water proof, just resistant for awhile. Also, in cold weather, the wax gets stiff and tends to crack along any flex line in the leather. That's' the first area of water entry. Wax does not penetrate very deeply into the leather, either. Only oils do that. That's why some compounds have a mixture and work better when applied with a hair dryer to heat the leather. I put my boots in the oven on low - bike saddles , too. The wax/oil melts in like butter on toast. Buff when cool. Wax will shine up bright and glossy. Oil will buff to a low sheen.

JeffG, Winterhorse and Quinlan like this.
  7. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use beeswax, BLO and turpentine
    No shine on my boots
    But they can hang in water or wet weather and keep your feet dryer than most anything else out there. B

OutnBacker and Winterhorse like this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Wax will penetrate quite deeply with a careful application of heat. I routinely get beeswax to penetrate 8-9oz veg tanned leather completely through from smooth side to flesh side using a heat gun on the medium low setting.
    It's really kind of amazing how much heat opens up the pores (?) of leather.

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    To get beeswax to shine in the way youre talking takes A LOT of work and the shine wont last the same either. Just stick to your normal stuff

JeffG and Winterhorse like this.
  10. BigNick73

BigNick73 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tip I learned on that was to light the kiwi on fire, it'll burn like a oil/wax lamp and melt down pretty quick. Take a old tooth brush a scrub the hot wax into the welt stitching, soaks it up pretty well, really helps with waterproofing aspect as that's where mine usually leak first.

OutnBacker likes this.
  11. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dad was a D.I. He made sure our shoes were spit shined and polished. I was very small at the time, but he was pretty clear about what was expected of my older brothers. melting the Kiwi was a regular routine. ;)

12. Enigmatic

Enigmatic Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I used to burn in 100% pure beeswax onto boots (mainly just the toe box, anywhere else would just crack) and the shine on it was TRULY impeccable when spit shined. You have to burn in the beeswax onto the boot with HIGH HEAT in order for it to melt into the leather. The harder the toe box, the better it was as it won't crack. Its quite a complicated process and its easy to mess up, though. It shouldn't be done on boots that flex a lot as the beeswax would crack. Keep in mind that this takes a lot of effort and experience to get it just right, so yes you can spit shine beeswax boots if done correctly.

When done properly, you would let the beeswax dry and harden, smooth it out and spit shine away. Nowadays, its MUCH easier to just polish the boot up, build up the base layers, and spit shine it as the beeswax can be fragile under the hot sunshine. I also dinged up my boots a lot and especially when my dogs would jump up, and they would land their foot right on the toe box, thus my boot looking like the moon craters..

Lastly, the British actually use beeswax to spit shine their real stiff, triple stacked leather parade hobnail boots. Their parade boots are always squared away. For example, check out this video of how the British would do it:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    OutnBacker, hma153 and DavidJAFO like this.
  13. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Enigmatic YOU beat me to it ^^^^ a Guards gloss finish, beeswax & Kiwi. BTW welcome to the forum. :)
    Regards
    David

OutnBacker and JeffG like this.
  14. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's my recipe for oilskin.

La\\//inci likes this.