Canister stove , who uses one ?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by SkipJunkie, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:24 AM.

1. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have several , the problem is neither of them will accommodate a single GSI/Walmart SS mug. So I went to REI to see what if anything was available . I came across the Giga Power Lite Max stove . It literally fits in the palm of my hand . Comparable to a Bic size wise an weighs less than a mora , 1.9 oz. . Has great simmer control also . Just thought I'd share . What do those of you that own one use ?
    IMG_20190417_092630386.jpg
    Here's a shot with the Adventurer mug with it's slanted design on the bottom it's not easy to use on these style stoves . But it's very sturdy on this one .

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM
    KnOeFz, Poppy Jay Jay, Ryder and 7 others like this.
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a brs 3000 but I almost always use my soto windmaster

Ryder, reppans, M.Hatfield and 5 others like this.
  3. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    As always we graciously accept/encourage pics where available ;) .

4. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a Snow Peak Giga Power but the Lite looks handy.

Ryder, reppans, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  5. tleek

tleek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had an olicamp canister stove for several years now. It’s probably not the smallest or lightest stove but I love it and think it would be tough to beat for the price. No piezo igniter but that doesn’t bother me too much.

Ryder, SkipJunkie, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  6. McKBrew

McKBrew Tracker

Blog Posts:
  7. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only reason I went with the Lite is because of it's size honestly . It and the small canister fit inside the Stanley easily with room to spare .

8. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Canister stoves,,, I’ve most everything except a canister stove...

Maybe 50 stoves, and no canister stoves,,, I’ve never even used one.

BradGad, BBizy, M.Hatfield and 5 others like this.
  9. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got the Etekcity for the Piezo ignition, but probably will only use it for car camping. Canisters tend to be too big/heavy/single-purpose/proprietary(fuel) for most of my human/moto-powered camping which tend to be shorter <1 week trips.

I know many will disagree for safety reasons, but I'd also suggest a G-Works adaptor to refill the smaller canisters from the larger ones - it's like turning disposable batteries into rechargeable ones so you can get rid of that 'half-use-so-carry-two' problem common with single-use consumables like alkaline batts and candles. Just make sure you use your head and follow good safety practices.

Ryder, BBizy, SkipJunkie and 5 others like this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg

I use a Giga, got it years ago so I could move about with no trace of my passing. It's never given me a single hiccup from single digit cold to triple digit hot.

image.jpeg

This is a micro Giga, like half the size of mine. I think this one is Ti as well for ultimate gram counting travelers. ;)

Edit: that's my bro with the tiny stove, he says he thinks it's an Optimus but isn't completely sure. Just clarifying for the record...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    KnOeFz, Poppy Jay Jay, Ryder and 5 others like this.
  11. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a MSR pocket rocket a Primus ao and one of the cheap Chinese stove that sell for $8 I mainly use them for day trips. I have a adapter that I can refill canisters with cheaper butane for summer use I also have an adapter to run them straight off a butane can

Poppy Jay Jay, BBizy, Ryder and 6 others like this.
  12. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to have a box full of stoves but now just keep a few favorites. I have that SnowPeak Litemax but under a different name, the Kovea Supalite. (Kovea makes the stoves for SnowPeak and other OEMs).

Great stove. the pot support makes 3 sections so it's fairly wind resistant and the wider flame pattern helps keep food from scorching. that said, it works better on larger diameter pots because smaller pots like the 500-700mL SnowPeak or the GSI cups or the Stanley Camp Kit pot, lose a significant portion of the flame up the sides of the pot.

the smaller pots work better with blow-torch type stoves like the MSR Pocket Rocket, especially if all you want to do is heat water. I like the Soto Amicus for this type of use...

Ryder, SkipJunkie, freebirdfb and 3 others like this.
  13. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have many. Primus, Coleman, BRS 3000 and several various cheap ones. More ways to cook than food to put on them. No problems with any of the ones that I have used. I don't have any special one that I like/use more than the others. (Hi, my name is Terry and I am a stove addict.....)

Luzster, BBizy, Ryder and 5 others like this.
  14. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use the Trangia gas stove with both my Trangia 27 and my small TI folding wood stove. Makes it very easy to boil or simmer with its temp/ flame control valve .

ezra

15. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use a Coleman Max micro burner I picked up from Walmart years ago, and have never had any issues with it.
    413oJDKPjnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

16. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That one won’t work with the supports folded in?

I like to have a small grill along, makes nearly any stove work with nearly any pot. The square one in this pic. Doesn’t weigh a lot and comes in very handy.

2811CA2C-273D-4CAB-A015-C055589BFF58.jpeg

spumwuzzle, BBizy, Ryder and 10 others like this.
  17. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these. I've used it several times but not in any real wildly varying temps.
    I know you can boil a pot of water pretty quick with it!

[​IMG]

Ryder, freebirdfb, SkipJunkie and 4 others like this.
  18. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a few, a MSR Pocket Rocket, a $15.00 knock off made in china with a pezzo lighter, and one from Finland that is compact, light weight, and highly adjustable and efficient, the last two are the best of the three, the Pocket Rocket works ok but doesn't do as well as the other two at simmering.
    The only time I use one is when there's a fire ban and I have no other choice or sometimes when I'm out fishing for the day for a quick coffee or tea, or to make some Ramen Noddle's and don't want to take the time to build a fire or stoke a wood/gasifier stove.
    I don't particularly like canister stoves, the canisters themselves are a pain, you're always wondering how much fuel you have left or carry two jus in case, the stoves are offensively noisy, and there's no wood smoke smell ;).
    Most times when I need a stove I opt for my Solo Stove Lite with either an alcohol spirit burner or finger sized dried hardwood pieces, maybe not as quick as a canister stove, but much more pleasant and smells better too. :dblthumb:

Ryder, freebirdfb, reppans and 2 others like this.
  19. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use this one as well. Very reliable stove in harsh weather. :)

Here it is, picnicking in Yellowstone NP.....

IMG_4545.JPG

KnOeFz, Poppy Jay Jay, Ryder and 5 others like this.
  20. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I recently switched to canister stove using same peak1
    love it, while I don't time it, hot meals in about 10 minutes
    boiling time for the water just a few minutes, 3-4?
    simmers just fine.
    great for quick hot lunches on the trail.
    stove.JPG

21. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got a Kovea booster stove, which works on canisters, white gas, diesel, kerosene... pretty much any flammable liquid. Pretty clever of them, since the connection between the stove and the fuel pump is the same as on the little backpacking canisters.

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue, DarrylM and 3 others like this.
  22. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is the model that I have. Found 2 of them on a clearance rack 3 weeks ago for $6 each.....

23. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    msr pocket rocket 1. Pretty good, could be smaller.

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue, Ryder and 2 others like this.
  24. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's a steal! I think I bought mine about five years ago, and it was either $20 or $30, I think.

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue and freebirdfb like this.
  25. Ryder

Ryder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Kovea Spider folded;

FF0D83CB-06EE-474C-815F-7904CEDFD964.jpeg

Tight windscreen in use;

BEB4A104-E885-41CD-A331-50D7E2082CC3.jpeg

I’ve owned a Snow Peak gigapower for 15 years now but these days I use a remote canister Kovea Spider which is far more fuel efficient. It is my favorite stove of all time now, very easy to set it on super low for simmering or baking. Since it can have a nice tight windscreen around it unlike sit on top canister stoves it is amazingly fuel efficient which makes the stove slightly heavier weight insignificant with the weight savings for fuel.

KnOeFz, MrFixIt, freebirdfb and 4 others like this.
  26. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have used a MSR Pocket Rocket for years, and have used another similar stove the past couple years.

Marlene

27. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've read that using a tight/close fitting windscreen could cause excessive heat build up on the stove and canister and cause potentially dangerous failure ?

28. Ryder

Ryder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, with a sit on top canister stove that will happen because you are capturing the canister and heating it up to dangerous levels but with a remote canister only the stove and pot are captured by the windscreen and the canister is remote and not affected. You will actually notice the canister becoming cold. That is the main value of a remote canister stove other than having a lower and more stable stove and pot.

29. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got an MSR Pocket Rocket. I'm pretty happy with it. Can't remember why I bought it, but it filled a niche and I've kept it. I tend to use it to cheat with, because it's so simple.

If a canoe is doing the carrying, but I'm having to carry that canoe over more than what I feel is a fair distance, I will bump down a convenience notch from the MSR white gas SimmerLite to the Pocket Rocket.

If I want to cook something fast (like hunting from a box blind, where i can drink tea all day, and eat a hot breakfast and/or lunch and/or dinner) and my ATV was doing the carrying, or I wasn't walking far, the PR was convenience exemplified.

I'm a big weenie when it comes to getting up in the cold, fall/winter/spring... the PR is a great way to cheat a hot breakfast on an ultralight trip. However, that's where I've run into issues with it... cold weather. The butane doesn't vaporize well in the cold. You have to sleep with the canister in your bag, and you can't just set it on a heat sink like snow, frozen ground, or a rock in use. You need to insulate it with a piece of bark, wood, sticks, cardboard, something/anything, and then it works pretty well. If you put a wind screen tight around it, that will eventually keep it warm enough to keep going without any trouble, but sometimes it's a pain to get it going.

I like the stove size/weight itself. I don't like the size of the canisters. Standard 250ml is bulky, and sometimes it's hard to judge how much fuel you have left, so you take 2 (near-empty and new). And I personally won't throw them out in the woods when empty. Smaller ones (150?) are handier, but less stable as platforms, so I generally only use the bigger kind; be nice if you could refill off a propane tank. I think the offset/remote setup someone showed above is a good solution to the overheating/instability issues.

MrFixIt, freebirdfb, tomcfitz and 3 others like this.
  30. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an msr pocket rocket, but I hardly use it. It’s probably the most easy to use but I keep going back to my alcohol stove

31. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm getting to where I like to actually cook more often than not . Being able to control temperature is becoming a necessity . I have my Swedish mess kit with my mini Trangia which has been wonderful so far . When I'm carrying a my day/Haversack I'm more than likely only carrying a mug of some sort and my Trangia with the cross stand won't allow use of the simmer ring .

32. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an old Brunton Talon that looks suspiciously like a Kovea. It’s a real rocket. I am a brass- tripod-stove lover so I don’t readily admit to owning any gassies. But I have many, especially the old Chinese burners that were selling for under $10 on eBay.

33. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Soto Amicus here, can't beat it. I can make coffee from my hammock 20190414_064300.jpg

KnOeFz, MrFixIt and freebirdfb like this.
  34. Poppy Jay Jay

Poppy Jay Jay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been using a Pocket Rocket for a long time now...although I am getting into twig stoves.
    0822181319.jpg

KnOeFz, woodsranger, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  35. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kovea is the OEM manufacturer (and probably designer for some models) for many stove companies, including the big ones, MSR, Primus, and Snowpeak. The Kovea Booster used to be sold as the "Brunton Lander" as well as the "Markill Phoenix," so it isn't uncommon to see Kovea stoves, once the original seller decides to cease sales, rebranded as kovea ones for continued sale.

MrFixIt and freebirdfb like this.
  36. geojag

geojag Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used a canister stove when I started backpacking and then got away from them. Now my hiking partner (daughter) is a bit impatient when we are making food or warm drinks, so back to the canister stove. I have been using a Jetboil Mighty Mo quite a bit. It has good flame control and a wide enough flame you can actually cook on it.
    I weigh fuel canisters to determine how much fuel is left, most companies have an empty weight on their website.

MrFixIt and freebirdfb like this.
  37. Ryder

Ryder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One interesting feature of the Kovea Spider and some other remote canister stoves that I forgot to mention is the ability to invert that canister in cold temperatures. Living in the desert I have not used this feature yet but if it becomes cold enough the liquid will not form into gas so you invert the canister and burn liquid. This might make it a good winter stove.

freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  38. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like my little Primus Classic. Boils 16 oz. in about 3 minutes. A bit heavy by backpacker standards but so easy to use and very sturdy.

Silvuhboolit, freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  39. perdidochas

perdidochas Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one of those as well. What I like is that it's good at simmering. I use it when I steam bake muffins. I also have an el Cheapo chinese canister stove (similar to the etekcity) and a jetboil knock off. I haven't had trouble with any of them.

freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  40. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not going to poop on anyone’s party but I just can’t get beside cannister stoves. They seem wasteful.

I know they have their advantages.

I recall @mtwarden saying recently that’s all he’s been using lately, so you are in good company!

freebirdfb likes this.
  41. TerBear

TerBear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bought a 2 pack of the Etekcity stoves from Amazon last year for a two night Boy Scout backpacking trip. Think I spent about twenty bucks. They had good reviews on YouTube. They served there purpose but I did have to pull out a Bic lighter because the igniter on one of them wasn't working.

freebirdfb likes this.
  42. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    I finally ordered a peak 1 canister stove so I can use it to mod my camping gaz turbo 270 to use the screw on canisters. Its a great stove and I wernt happy when they stopped selling the canisters in the U.S.! If it works out I'll get another for my bivouac lantern.

freebirdfb likes this.
  43. zelph

zelph Guide

Blog Posts:
    Are there extensions that fit onto the wire valve control so it sticks out from under a pot skirt?

freebirdfb likes this.
  44. Silvuhboolit

Silvuhboolit Florida Feller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On a dark desert highway, cool whip in my hair...
    Yeah...plus you can cook in a skillet with one....

45. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had a 1st gen Jetboil from way back that is always in my truck with some other essentials. I also use it for motorcycle camping as it does everything I need (coffee, tea, oatmeal, boil in bag meals, and most importantly, canned chili or stew! I keep it in the truck for those days that I can run up to hills and decompress from the weekly horse manure.
    It fires up fast and boils water in the blink of an eye giving me some time to sit back and listen to the wind in the trees.

Maybe not as comforting as small fire but it also means less impact and allows me to do it during burn ban season. And it is pretty efficient. I keep buying more cans of gas but it takes me forever to kill one off. Thinking of breaking down and buying one of the little pans that go with it for some upcoming rides so I can make bacon and egg burritos with it.

Poppy Jay Jay likes this.