1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Canning For The Home-Circa 1944

Discussion in 'Food' started by grey mouse, Aug 12, 2017.

1. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
  2. Griff4570

Griff4570 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks for sharing. I love to can. Got started years ago in the pan handle of Idaho. We pick huckleberrit's every year and make a batch of jam. My youngest son is very protective of it. We make 9 jars. 6 are for us. The other 3 get given as gifts or traded, but only with his approval. The 6 we keep he watches like a hawk. We can lots of other stuff,but the jam has a special place.

Winterhorse and grey mouse like this.
  3. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @grey mouse Just remember to use the actual canning recipes with a grain of salt, if at all. Many of the old ways of canning are considered Russion roulette by today's standards and knowledge. Still the old recipe books make for VERY interesting reading. Wife has one that is a civil war reproduction. There is one for hemp candy in it. :confused:

@Griff4570 have yet to try huckleberries. One of these days though.

Do you guys have elderberries out there? Those are another "forgotten" berry that is really really delicious. We "realized" that there was a bunch of them growing wild at my parents a few years back. We picked two 5-gallon buckets full and canned lots of jelly and some syrup. :32: We still have jars from the initial batch in the pantry.

Winterhorse likes this.
  4. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wy_Not - I completely understand. I'm going to use the basic recipes to come up with my own version using modern techniques. Many of the recipes will just be good dinners for us. We don't have any elderberries here that I am aware of but I can tell you that I'm addicted to boysenberries :32:

WY_Not likes this.
  5. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking a three-way jelly swap is in order.

grey mouse likes this.