Canoe canoe?

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by NevadaBlue, Apr 29, 2019.

1. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    @OutnBacker - I would have bought a Montgomery 17 if I could have found one at the time, but it turns out the R20 is about the perfect day sailer for me, with some camping ability. But footing is the bugaboo when raising the mast. There have been some clever ideas to get around that, but I am attracted by the simple brute force solution. ;)

Sure wish I could justify the cost the Montgomery 17's descendant, the Sage 17 though....

@NevadaBlue - the main on my C-Lark had a captive foot when I bought it. When I had the sails refurbished, I had them set it up for loose foot. The improvement in light wind sailing was dramatic (although some of that might have been just from the fresh condition of the sail). With that loose foot, you can really power up when needed. BTW - the R20 has a lot of sail for its size, and it's a high aspect rig like your Hobie there. Having 500 lbs of ballast helps, but it's not that hard to handle in a stiff gusty wind. The deep low aspect sail on the C-Lark was more challenging.

2. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    The more I think about it, if you could rig a quick release attachment for the canoe under the cat frame - that would be a heck of a versatile setup.

3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That is my intent. I hope to use three cross members, with gunwale clamps holding the canoe in place: The front and rear ones and one across the cockpit for strength and support of the seats. The gunwales on the Discovery are quite deep. I am also thinking of a triangle sort of thing, in that middle cross member. Something with padding that pushes down on the bottom of the canoe, again for strength. Sort of like a large rib I guess. That should also make the attachment more solid.

But, as you said, being able to do a ‘quick detach’ is the key.

Edited to add: There may be padded supports under all three cross members. There could be some large forces on the bottom of the canoe from that big ‘load’ on top of it, while bouncing along on waves.

4. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good grief. Imagine if all three of us were neighbors...:51:

5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  6. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
  7. BBizy

BBizy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It looks like a beautiful day and two sailors ready to train!!! What a great project. I have been following this project with great interest and enjoyment!

Ira

Bobsdock, FreeMe, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  8. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Hurry, grampa!"

9. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    They were all grins when they came back in the house.

I have the mast cleaned up now. It had been stored on the ground under a camper. Just dirty, nothing hurt. The wire rigging is OK, rope parts all junk. New rope has been ordered. I couldn’t get the wire main halyard out of the top roller. It has fittings on both ends that won’t go through the top piece. It must be a replacement, made in place. No problem, I’ll just move the top piece down with the halyard in place. I can shorten it later, after I get the proper crimps.

I’m leaning toward (I lean a lot :rolleyes:) a 19’ overall mast now. Full size jib, 16’ luff on the main. Loose foot. I figured out the boom mount and it should work like I want.

10. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am very far behind, and actively catching up, but I had to pause at this say - out loud "Are you kidding me?!!!" That's awesome, Ken!! I am just loving this thread! Your son. Is that Mike?

Bobsdock and BBizy like this.
  11. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    We have 3 boys living near here Jacqui. Mike, the middle son, lives with us. Brad, the youngest, found the canoe. Doug, the oldest is providing the older grandkids for experimentation. :p

12. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love it!! :D

gohammergo, Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I found the rigging diagram for the mast.

[​IMG]

kairo, Bobsdock, FreeMe and 2 others like this.
  14. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    What??? No life line???

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  15. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    It is an old version.

So, I just discoverd slugs for the main sail to eliminate the use of the bolt rope on the luff. Should cost a few bucks and allow dropping the sail quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobsdock, FreeMe, BBizy and 1 other person like this.
  16. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Slugs are better. Some have the opinion that bolt rope luffs are better for efficiency, but I doubt it. I've used both and I like the slugs. Does the mast have a mast gate? With a cover?

17. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Footing, yes. The nice thing about that Chrysler 20 was that the mast was stepped just aft of the cabin door - right on the bridge deck instead of the cabin top. So, it started at a down angle to begin the lift. Sort of helpful that way as it eliminated the first 15 degrees of angle. Plus, the cockpit was 10 feet long! Lots of "runway". By time you got to the cabin the mast was almost weightless. I've never seen another small sailboat like that. The whole design was signed of by Herreshoff, who approved all the Chrysler sailboats from the 12 to the 26. Fantastic boats.

An overnight at the guest dock.
    ChanceattheGuestDockinEverett2_zps8a93642d.jpg

Reaching towards my house in the distance. The mast placement looks inconvenient, but it actually works as a great handhold for swinging down into the cabin - which is cavernous, despite the appearance otherwise. A full 7' V and almost standing headroom, plus quarter berths under each 10' cockpit seats. The biggest little sailboat ever, and with 34% ballast all suspended outside the hull, well below.
    Firstreachuprivertotest_zpsf79d1e5b.jpg

The Chrysler 20 was advertised as a new type when it came out in '78. They called it a "Day Cruiser" because of its generous cabin and cockpit, plus heavy rigging and excellent sea handling. The hull is thick as a vault and has no oil canning anywhere. All ballast is below the hull as a good cruiser should be. Herreshoff was no dummy. The story of Chrysler marine is interesting. That division was left alone by the Boys in Detroit. Thus, they hired the best designers and architects they could find, many of which already worked there because prior to the Great Collapse of the boating industry in the early '80"s Chrysler Marine was a huge player - quite apart from the Mopar Division.

Out for swing keel inspection, seen here still in the raised position.
    C-20Lowering_zps9f45ece5.jpg

18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    No gate. I had to look up ‘mast gate’. Was planning a sail stop but gates look like something I could make... on the list! ;)

19. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hah!

Bobsdock, OutnBacker and NevadaBlue like this.
  20. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Slugs are definitely the way to go, IMO. I've had both, and prefer slugs.

A sail stop is cheap, and easy to use. Just don't drop it over the side. ;)

Bobsdock, OutnBacker and NevadaBlue like this.
  21. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    The fleet is in mothballs now. Not a bad thing, just protection for it while a bunch of more ‘important’ things get done. I laid the mast on the boat and covered the whole thing with a tarp to keep the sun off.

I am looking for an outboard for ‘insurance’ when I take this thing out on the big lake. Would a 3.5 HP water cooled unit be big enough?

gohammergo likes this.
  22. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sure. I'm shoving around a 1500 lb displacement hull with. 3.5 hp.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  23. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Excellent, thanks!