Carbide lights? Anyone remember those?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by charlesmc2, Sep 23, 2017.

1. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    In about 1960 armadillos staged a mass invasion of northeast Texas. I was just a kid, but I had never seen an armadillo and I remember the adults reaction to their takeover. They got to be a nuisance and we tried to kill as many as we could. By '65 or so I was old enough to take off after them. Hunted at night. My best friend and I somehow learned about carbide lights and bought ourselves carbide lights at the army surplus store.

If you've never seen one they were made of brass with a large polished metal reflector about 4 inches in diameter. There were two vessels, one for water on top and one below, sealed and gasketed to hold pressure. Water from the top tank dripped down onto the "rocks" below. The rocks were calcium carbide (hence the name of the light). Water caused the carbide to release acetylene gas which went out through a tiny nozzle and you lit it by means of a striker like on Zippo lighters. Made a good bright light and were cheaper to operate than a battery powered flashlight. This was WAY before LED flashlights!

Lots of good memories, hunting with my friend and my dog. As I recall, he had more fun even than we did. A few years went by and girlfriends replaced the Saturday night hunts. We double dated occasionally and he was best man in our wedding and I in his.

2. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    cheapcarbide.com sells it pretty cheap by the pound.

DomC, Vilke, desertp1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Also remember the carbide cannons. Those things would go off like an M80:)

wingnuts, DomC, Bobsdock and 9 others like this.
  4. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, thanks! I guess I'm not so old after all. (I am.)

Jim L., gohammergo and central joe like this.
  5. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I remember them. I picked one up, along with a can of calcium carbide, for $4.00 total, from a estate sale. Couldn't pass it up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

JohnP

6. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Oh yeah I recall a tin of the stuff on the coal shed shelf as a lad & we used to spit on it & watch it sizzle. :D I was educated on how to use it by my grandmother instead of boyish pranks (spit n' sizzle) & later on a Military training course used as an incendiary along similar lines, small piece wrapped up water tight in the FSK tin, opened the wrap, place inside the tinder bundle, spit & ignite the fumes. ;)
    Regards
    David

DomC, Fat Old Man, Jim L. and 5 others like this.
  7. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not only do I remember them, I remember using one some night fishing with my Papa. joe

Forestcactus, DomC, Bobsdock and 7 others like this.
  8. River Boy

River Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Use to use them for catfishing at night. Leave it run and point it away from the water then use it to bait a hook, light a smoke etc. I was convinced at the time it helped keep away mosquitos. I've still got a can of carbide around here but can't find anyone that still sells the lamps. E Bay has them but they are high.

Bobsdock, Fat Old Man, Jim L. and 3 others like this.
  9. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I used them a couple of times as a kid with my buddy when his dad took us coon hunting. Always thought they were neat.

Fat Old Man, Jim L., OldMan and 2 others like this.
  10. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, sure do. In 1976, 77, and 78 my best friend Mike and I got into spelunking and we used carbide lamps in our explorations. We were part of a program called Project Adventure in high school, so we took the meaning literally!!!

11. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yup, Got one. Its a Petzl, mounted to a helmet.

OldMan, gohammergo and central joe like this.
  12. kreate

kreate Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to go caving with a guy who used a carbide head lamp. It was a tad finicky and would sometimes flare up like an out of control tiki torch but man was it bright! On winter trips we would hustle around it for heat. The smell of one always conjures up fond memories.

Fat Old Man, PMSteve, OldMan and 3 others like this.
  13. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was in high school about 50 years ago. I found an old container of carbide up on the chemical shelf. Decided to demonstrate how a carbide lamp worked. I heated up some glass tubing and bent it into an "L" then heated a section and pulled it to a thin nozzle of sorts and cut it by scratching it with a triangle file and breaking it. Took a two hole stopper and ran the tubing down thru that and next to it ran a thistle tube (I think that's what we called it--a glass funnel of sorts) down into the flask. Carbide into flask, water into thistle tube and dripping onto the carbide.

Did I mention the carbide was powdery and smelled of acetylene? It didn't occur to me that the carbide had absorbed water from the air and was pretty much spent. When I used the sparker to light the acetylene KABOOM! I had made a little acetylene, but not enough to flush out the air. Explosive mixture. The stopper and glassware broke on the ceiling on its way up, somewhat short of orbital velocity. Miraculously, the flask was intact. I was not wearing goggles. The Good Lord was looking out for me that day. Nothing can take the place of a mother's prayers.

Thinking back, I am amazed at how much freedom we were allowed to mess around in the chem lab. It definitely was a different era. I was about 17 when I pulled this stunt. But there were many men alive then in their late 30's and early 40's who had joined up to fight WWII when they were about that age. [Many others likewise in Korea and Viet Nam.]

What are a few risks in a chem lab?

14. Danmanrn

Danmanrn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any one know a dealer of modern, new manufactured, carbide lamps?
    Thanks!
    Dan

15. TNCanoer

TNCanoer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I coon hunted with my dads carbide light until I was 16 and then bought a wheat light. Got my butt paddled in high school for dropping carbide in all of the water fountains early one morning. By noon the whole school smelled like rotten eggs :)

16. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lehmans has them, but reviews are shaky:
    https://www.lehmans.com/product/carbide-cap-lamp-with-flint-striker/
    Also here:
    https://www.karstsports.com/minex-miners-carbide-lamp/

Having grown up in coal country where they were extremely popular, I can tell you that these lights work very well, but I'd be surprised if they anything made now was as good as the old ones. Finding a good older one that a collector is willing to let go of might be tough though. Years ago you could find them here at any flea market and many yard sales.

When I was a kid, I think I just assumed everybody had one of these on their shelf full of collectibles, along with some kind of special limited edition Pepsi/RC/Coke/beer can, a coal sculpture, a green glass insulator from a power pole, and a blue Mason jar. Maybe a commemorative plate or two. :)

17. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used one to blacken my pistol sights.

18. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did quite a bit of caving in the early '90s. At that time, carbide lamps were still the most dependable long-duration light source you could find. It would be another ten years before white LEDs made them obsolete. We'd carry spare carbide in baby bottles. I found mine in an army surplus store. The owner didn't know what it was and gave it to me for five bucks. You could use the flame to "smudge" direction markers on branching passages, to avoid getting lost. The real fun was when a seal would fail on a helmet mounted lamp and shoot flames at your face.
    Good times.

19. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been collecting and using carbide miners lamps and carbide canons. A tip for those whose want one. Don't overfill the carbide can on the lamp. Here is what happens.

When you put too much carbide in the can and too much water flow the carbide will foam up like a freshly made root beer float. This foam will rise up to the bottom of the top and plug up the felt filter and could even plug it causing the acetylene gas to seep past the gasket or blow the lamp tip out causing a fire. Be sure to completely clean the residue in the carbide can. It gets as hard as concrete.

You can find them at antique stores. If you find one that has residue hardened in the bottom soak the parts in vinegar to clean them. The most critical system in selecting a used one is the water valve. It needs to regulate the water dripping into the carbide. What happens when to much water is introduced the carbide and you have a run-a-way flame the user forces the water off trying to stop the fire and damages the ball water seat and repairing it is very hard if not next to impossible to repair. Check for cracks in the carbide cup and the skirt around the top. These lamps are made from thin brass. Water or residue left in them during freezing conditions will cause the to crack and slip. Also over tightening the top to the can will cause the brass to spit. They can be repaired by soldering. Gaskets and replaceable tips can be found. Tips can be soaked in vinegar and cleaned with a thin copper wire. Miners used a small pin head dab of toothpaste around the tips base before reseating it. This would keep it from blowing or falling out.

When lighting it using the flint lighter. Start the gentle water flow and acetylene generation. When you smell acetylene... cup your hand over the front of the reflector for a second to capture acetylene then let a quick flick of the heel of your palm to rotate the flint and igniting your lamp. It will make a pop when you light it. When a crew of miners entered the mine there were always a chorus of pops going off off.

They're fun, reliable and good historic hobby for collectors.

Here is an older link about carbide lamps.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/why-not-carbide-miners-lights-and-lanterns.147368/

'drif

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  20. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Used one several times for exploring caves and for coon hunting as a kid.

21. Fly Rod

Fly Rod Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey Crusher : I have spent many night coon hunting and Fox chasing in WV with my dad. Still have his lamp. Works like a new one. He took the care of it like it was the only light he had. Iknow it is at least 85 years old.

22. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    JohnP, that is a good looking lamp. My mother's ex had been a coal miner for over 40 years and had many old carbide lamps that resemble the one in your pic.

Fat Old Man, central joe and JohnP like this.
  23. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was only around a few when I was young, and was fascinated by the process. A few years ago, I thought that a good one would be good for indefinite storage, for power outages. I looked around a little, saw some ratty ones in a flea market, but didn't want a repair/restoration project.

Fat Old Man and central joe like this.
  24. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I understand correctly (and remember correctly) folks used gas or butane/propane lights indoors that were permanently mounted that worked on the same principle--a stream of flammable gas with light directed by a reflector. That would be convenient enough but a worrisome fire hazard.

Fat Old Man, central joe and Jim L. like this.
  25. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    As many of you pointed out those style of lamps were the standard in the mining industry for a long time. I grew up in an famous mining district and remember old pics of guys using these type of laterns. By the time I worked underground in any mine they were long gone replaced by huge rechargeable battery apparatus on ones belt.

Fat Old Man and central joe like this.
  26. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still cave with an old carbide light great light and is fully field repairable !

27. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dad told many a story about carbide cystals being a great component of childhood mischief. One story was how he would put a cardboard tube of the stuff into a 30 gal. oil drum. The drum would be dug into a hole near a creek that needed a swimming hole.

The cardboad tube was dropped into the drum that had some water already in it, the gas would slowly buildup after sealing the drum and then diesel off to a satisfactory explosion, making the new swimming hole.

28. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was an avid spelunker during college in the '60s. Spent many a day underground, being kept alive by a carbide lamp. We carried carbide in baby bottles. Those things are tough and waterproof. You learn to change carbide in the dark and try to avoid 'souping' which happens when you try to run a charge of carbide too long. If you change carbide at just the right point, it is a powder and just dumps out easily. If you run too long, you 'soup', and the stuff is like wet clay or runny soup. What a mess. Then you have to charge the lamp with a wet tank. Grrr... Anyway, I was a miner my whole life and stayed interested in the lamps. Here are a few of mine. The pic on the shelf is my favorite one of my lady, enjoy. I do...

[​IMG]

The top right lamp is a flame safety lamp. It has a metal gauze around the upper part, and heavy glass around the flame. It runs on lighter fluid essentially. Made for gassy coal mines.

Red Ochre, ArmyMacE, MartyJ and 16 others like this.
  29. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Nice collection of lamps!

30. Boondocks70

Boondocks70 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know where I can currently get parts for a Justrite head lamp?? Namely the flame tip (orifice) and a felt holder clip (the disk with the two springy fingers). I am rebuilding two lamps to working and one is missing those pieces. All of the previously mentioned suppliers, both here and elsewhere on the net have either run out or closed up shop.
    Justrite, Premier, and Autolite parts could all be made to work, so not picky at all on brand.
    Fleabay auctions have been nothing but frustration in this search especially with "sniper bids" at the last second. Would prefer a buy it outright option if one is available. Or if anyone knows a workable substitute for the flame tip, I would be grateful!
    Thanks in advance!!

31. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You pretty much need the tip, it has a ceramic 'burner' and would be difficult to duplicate in something that would actually work.
    The felt holder isn't really necessary, but you could make a simple 'hairpin' out of a hairpin or something similar. Just make it small enough to fit inside the top of the base threads so it doesn't jam.
    I haven't found my spare parts container yet. If I do and if there is a tip in it, I could send you one. One of my lamps is set up with a rubber tube adapter instead of reflector and tip. It goes to my carbide cannon... if I ever find that.

32. Boondocks70

Boondocks70 Scout

Blog Posts:
    NevadaBlue, yup.... tips will be hard to replicate! I did cut a felt holder from a mason jar lid pretty close match to original but a bit thinner. Was also thinking along the bobby-pin idea as well. The one lamp has no real sentiment, so just want it "working", the other was my Grandfather's on my Dad's side (died when Dad was 13) so I'd like to get it back to "original".
    There is a "Antique Mining Equipment" show coming up in April at Carter Caves, Kentucky I may try to hit and see what I can find. More than a few years ago, hardware stores around these parts still had boxes of the repair kits out on the shelves...... I need to find the oldest guy in the store to find out where they have them hidden now! I'm sure somewhere a hardware store (real one, not Lowes) has some squirreled away.
    Mining show is April 7, 2018 by the way for anyone interested!

33. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Good chance they may still have parts at that store. The little hardware store in the Ozarks where I lived years ago, sold lamps, carbide and dynamite, just in case you needed it.

34. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I once took some glass tubing, heated it over a propane kitchen burner and drew out the tubing to make a narrow part. Scratched the skinny part and broke it. Rolled some electrical tape around the fat end and jammed it in to the orifice holder. Just a friction fit, but it worked. That was 50 years ago, give or take. We were pretty good at finding work arounds.

Fortunately, I found my tip and didn't have to live with the homemade tip but one use.

This was back in the day. Duct tape is just the modern equivalent of baling wire. Ha!

Fat Old Man and Boondocks70 like this.
  35. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    The tip gets quite hot. One of the problems with the plastic Justrite lamp was that the metal insert in the plastic body would fall out. The heat from the flame would melt the plastic around the insert. I only bought my plastic one to illustrate the low point of the lamp design. It was the last one they made. Sad...
    I checked all of my lamps for spares. Sometimes I put spare parts in the bottom of them. Only found a wing nut. Noticed I am missing several tips also. But, if your search fails, let me know. I could take the tip out of the plastic lamp. I will never burn it anyway. Grandpa's lamp deserves to be complete.

A quick search turns up several vendors. Look for carbide lamp tip. Even one that won't fit will be better than nothing. You can make it fit. Looks like Bob & Bob are still in business. Maybe send them a note.

http://www.4bobandbob.com/

Some good info here:

http://caves.org/member/mfraley/spare.htm

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Fat Old Man likes this.
  36. Boondocks70

Boondocks70 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the offer, NevadaBlue, but will decline at this time. That is probably one of the few (intact) plastic Justrites still around! I only began my search in earnest a few days ago. I live in the heart of coal country and these things used to be around here literally in the thousands. Gotta be some old ones or parts to be had here somewhere.
    Bob and Bob's looks to have gone out of business, according to a WV caving group post. Bob was in nursing home after battling cancer. His Brother Bill ran the shop until early this last spring. (Inner Mtn. liquidated their remaining stock of climbing gear for them. Don't know on lamp parts.)
    I will try to hit the hardware/antique stores around here then flea markets when the weather warms up again. May also fire off an email to Bob and Bob just to see if I get any answer. If I find any, how many do you need for your collection? Any other parts needed?

NevadaBlue and Fat Old Man like this.
  37. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup - used one caving in SoNv. Saw a lot in Korea at the outdoor cafes

NevadaBlue and Fat Old Man like this.
  38. Crowe

Crowe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Me too. Used to blacken open weapon sights for competition shooting in the military

NevadaBlue likes this.
  39. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely fascinating! I've not had any experience with carbide lamps, but the outpouring of fond memories in this thread is amazing! Thanks to all who've participated.

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and Jim L. like this.
  40. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had to play Robert Earl Keene's Armadillo song after reading this thread

NevadaBlue likes this.
  41. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Boondock, but I will just enjoy the collection as it is. None of them will be fired in my lifetime... well, maybe when the carbide turns up I will fire one of them for my grandson.
    Good luck on the search.

42. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
    A pair of auto lite

NevadaBlue likes this.
  43. Bobsdock

Blog Posts:
  44. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Your lady is top-shelf.

LongAgoLEO and NevadaBlue like this.
  45. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Yes, she is. :)

Here is a closer pic of a few lamps. The one on the left in the front row sports a brass reflector from an old car headlight or something. It was useful for surveying with a compass since it has very little steel in it. I found the reflector in a junk shop and fitted it to the lamp.

The one on the right is wearing a bracket that I found buried in the dirt in an old mining district (which was our yard at the time!). It is rusty, as found. It fit the lamp perfectly still. It wraps around the lamp and has a pointed rod sticking out the other side. It would have been stuck in the wall to provide light for the miner, so he didn't have to wear the lamp or hold it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see different types of reflector in these pics. Front right has a deep reflector, center front has a standard reflector. Of course, the big hand lamps came with a monster deep reflector and could be used with the silly little reflector the center rear one has.

Blackhillz, ArmyMacE, BBizy and 4 others like this.
  46. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    Did a fair bit of spelunking in the early 70's and never came across these lamps. But, I do recall as a wee lad, riding along to drop my father off at the Campbell Soup Mushroom Farms. He'd disappear into one of the (many) Quonset huts and reappear wearing a hardhat with one of these lamps affixed - already lit. I had to stand on the front seat to see out the window and we'd exchange a snappy salute to one another. Then he'd disappear into the dark wearing that "cool hat." I was totally intrigued by that light on his head.

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  47. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Scout

Blog Posts:

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  48. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's neat, i always thought they used some sort of candle lamps back in the day. See? you learn something new every day!

NevadaBlue likes this.
  49. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    They did use candles too. There are special 'tools' that the candle would go in and then it would be stuck in the wall of the mine. They are similar to the 'sticker' that one of the lamps above is wearing.

BBizy and Bobsdock like this.
  50. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a flame safety lamp in Germany a year ago at a flea market. It is in excellent shape and works well. This one burns Coleman fuel. Interestingly, to extinguish the flame, you hold it and let it drop suddenly and catch it.
    We caved the muddy NY caves in wet suits with vertical climbing gear and stayed underground or 24 hours or more while pushing new passages to explore. Have to watch where the carbide flame front was pointing while on the rope, just inches from your face! In Carlsbad we descended to the then lowest known level of the cave, to a pond under puffy formations called "Lake of the Clouds".

NevadaBlue, BBizy and Bobsdock like this.