Carson National Forest

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by Wookie Jake, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Wookie Jake

Wookie Jake Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Anyone here done any camping in the Carson National Forest? Im looking for a good wooded place to practice some skills (shelter, fire building, etc) and want the freedom to do so without being in an established campground with people all around me. Any info helps. Thank you.

80mtn likes this.
  2. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just get a Carson Nat Forest map and go explore the backroads. There are lots of good places to camp that aren't official campgrounds. Look for campsites that have been used by hunters, ranchers, hikers, and woodcutters. All these places are accessible from the forest service roads. I prefer to use such campsites rather than create my own new ones. They are generally in good places, where there is some flat ground to park and set up a camp. Sometimes water is nearby. Just make sure your vehicle is in good shape (good tires for sure) before going very far off the main highways. The country NW of Tres Piedras is a good place to explore.

Wookie Jake, 80mtn and Cberg1975 like this.
  3. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hey gila_dog. I just joined up last night. I'm in Hurley, outside Silver City. I have land (60 acres all wooded ton of camping) with a mile of Nat. For. boundary in Walnut Creek north of Bear Mtn. It's pretty awesome. Been doing this stuff a long time as a solo artist. Time I met some fellow mountain people. I want to get a rendezvous together.

Cberg1975 likes this.
  4. Cberg1975

Cberg1975 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Capitan

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

80mtn likes this.
  5. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hey! You're more than welcome! I have a few people interested already. It's the kind of place where if someone from..anywhere really..that was visiting this area, it would be a cool, free and primitive as you want place to camp and do bushcrafty stuff.

Wookie Jake and Cberg1975 like this.
  6. Wookie Jake

Wookie Jake Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks so much. Haven't really done much of anything in mountainous areas, so like I said, any info helps.

80mtn likes this.