Carving a Gnome Tutorial

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Ursinos, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    alright folks, so as promised, here's the tutorial.

[​IMG]

to start off with, the gather what you'll need. Here you'll see my Flexcut carving knife, but you could probably use any old pocket knife. I find the fine blade of the woodcarving knives help with getting into tighter spaces. there is also my strop there to the left, and the bit of wood. I'm working with a larger piece here than I learned on, it's about 2 fingers in diameter (maybe an inch and quarter to an inch and a half). It is about 8 inches long, though we'll only be carving on 3.5 to 4 inches of that.

As with any carving, make sure to keep your knife sharp, and be careful where you're holding your fingers. i'd recommend picking up a kevlar glove. During the making of this tutorial, I gashed my finger up pretty good, any deeper and I would have needed stitches.

[​IMG]

Mark of the sections of the carving. the hat is just a bit smaller than the diameter of the stick, the body and feet together are about twice that measurement. I generally bring the marking for the hat and bottom of feet all the way around the wood as a reference mark.

[​IMG]

from the hat line, start carving the end of the stick down to a point. you don't have to be too careful with making it exactly round at this point, as you'll be trimming it down to match the size of the body later.

[​IMG]

Cut a stop cut all around the line marking the bottom of the feet, then, using angled cuts, cut away from the bottom of the feet to mark the bottom of the carving.

[​IMG]

make a stop cut at the line marking the top of the feet, then gradually cut in from the body side of the stop cut to make a wedge. Don't go too deep with this cut at first. you can work it in more as you go to make sure it matches with the size of the body. Remember work patiently, don't try to take too much off at a time.

[​IMG]

Strip the bark off the "front" of the body section. once you've done that, mark out the face like you would from the wood-spirit tutorial. Note that the eyebrow ridge is actually the separating point of the hat in this case.

[​IMG]

Work the face just as you would have with the Wood Spirit Tutorial, leaving out any details for eyebrows, as those are hidden by the hat.

[​IMG]

Mark out the Beard using pencil. Note that the beard comes all the way down to the center of the notch for the feet.

[​IMG]

Cut around the marked beard using the tip of your knife, making a stop cut, then cut in from the outside of the beard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark out the boarders of the face.

[​IMG]

Then, just as with the beard, use stop and slice cuts from the outside to cut it out.

Alright. I just realized how late it is, I'm going to pause here, and post the next part when I get up tomorrow.

2. zorcon

zorcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tutorial, I am on my way out the door to find a chunk of wood

3. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    To cool! Glad to see other carvings and carvers! I have a small Gnome I carved last summer. I will post him when your done with your tutorial. I can't wait to see how you get there.

Yet another opportunity to learn on the this awesome site!!!!

4. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting this. Moving to the Tutorial forum.

5. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to this one as well

6. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Cool thanks buddy can't wait to see it finished.

7. SIXFOOTER

SIXFOOTER Guide

Blog Posts:
    uh oh, here we go again! That last one cost me an $18 carving knife and I now have 4 or 5 Wood Spirits, Thanks for the Tutorial!

8. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    you can get by with just the carving knife for this one too, but you know, adding a V-tool to your tools will let you get some real nice detail to the beard and hair :D

9. zorcon

zorcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am using a Buck Stockman And my flexcut jack (wich is very handy field tool ) for this project hopefully between the two of them I come up with something similar to urinos's tutorial

10. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK boys, strop up those knifes and lets get back to work...

[​IMG]

Mark out the hairline, and the position of the arm. You want to make sure the cuff of the sleeve is on an angle like shown here, and that it doesn't get too close to the beard.

[​IMG]

Stop cut along the inside of the arm, and then angle cut in from the outside of the stopcut as shown here. you don't need to make this very deep, kind of play with it gradually until you like how it looks.

Also, stop cut along the mark for the hair, and angle cut it from beneath.

[​IMG]

Repeat on other side.

[​IMG]
    Shave down the cuff of the sleeve to make it look more like the little guy's hands are in his pockets. Also, stop cut along the outside line of the arm, and again, angle cut to define the arm from the outside.

[​IMG]

Start working on the back, bringing a curve behind the elbows. again, don't work this too much all at once. Go back several times as you work the rest of the gnome, this way you make sure you don't take off too much at once.

[​IMG]

Mark out the edge of the cloak. Repeat on both sides.

[​IMG]

Stop cut, and work from the feet side to separate it from the "legs" you can soften the line of the cloak if you want to make it less harsh.

[​IMG]

Mark out the center line on the section for the feet.

[​IMG]

Start wedging in from both sides of the center line to separate the feet. make sure you don't work only one side at a time. Split the cutting up to either side to try and make the work as even as you can.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Work in the outside section of the feet to separate them a bit from the cloak. At this point you can add a secondary split between the shoe and the cloak, from the "ground" to the beard to look like the hemline of a pair of pants. (don't really have a good shot of that.)

At this point, the basics of the gnome are pretty much done. go back over it to round out the cloak, bring the hat in so it doesn't overhang the face too much, round off any areas that need to be and work on the details a bit.

At this point you can work the "eyes" in under the hat a bit more if you want, to make them look like they are mostly hidden by the hat.

Work the face more, pretty much exactly like the wood-spirit tutorial.

Note: This is where I cut myself pretty good using my V-tool to clean up some edges, so I haven't worked on the gnome since to show any details to the face and beard. I will be doing so soon.

I hope everyone's been enjoying this so far!

11. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking at those "carving jacks" where it gouges and v-tools on it like a swiss army knife for the wittler. but I don't have the 130 bucks to spend on it :(

12. zorcon

zorcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got for my birthday last year.If you do get one make sure you get left or right to fit the way you carve it does make a differance. but overall it is a good tool and their stroping system is outstanding.:D

13. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lucky you. that'd make carving in the woods a WHOLE lot easier. I just can't afford one :(

Stropping system?

14. zorcon

zorcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yea the flexcut comes with a custom stroping block to fit the profile of the differant tools on the Knife

15. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    really? very nice

16. FrauHilda

FrauHilda Guide

Blog Posts:
    Excellent tutorial, thank you. These are to cool, I collect gnomes and tomte. My very favorite subject to craft with wool and/or beads (riding snails, atop mushrooms, etc).
    Just chillin' with my gnomies ;) :D

17. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    tomte? never heard of what that is.

I hope the tutorial helps you with carving your own gnomes :D i'm going to start playing around with it and go beyond the cloak and actually just have them in shirt and pants next :D

18. rasp181

rasp181 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice. I've always wanted to be able to do this but just can't seem to get the knack of it.

19. rasp181

rasp181 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice. I've always wanted to be able to do this but just can't seem to get the knack of it.

20. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    It does take some fine motor skills and hand eye co-ordination. One of the reasons I haven't posted the last couple steps is cause I seem to be a bumbling klutz the last few days, and after slicing my finger up good doing this tutorial, I did NOT want to continue without picking up some safety gear.

Now, I've picked up a kevlar clove and a thumb guard, I'll be getting the last step up probably tomorrow.

21. Backwoods Bliss

Backwoods Bliss Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to more. What V-tool are you using?

22. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    1/4 inch 60 degree v-tool. it's been a very versatile tool for me so far :D

23. Backwoods Bliss

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, I'll have to look into those. Great, another hobby to spend money on, my wife will be thrilled.

24. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    After a long delay....

Ok guys, sorry about the delay, life got busy after I healed up from the carving accident.

Speaking of which, a word toward safety....

[​IMG]

If you are going to be doing any amount of carving, PLEASE do yourself a favor and pick up a kevlar glove, and a leather thumb guard. Part of the reason for this delay was that in carving this gnome, my V-Tool slipped and sliced me up good. If I'd been wearing that glove, I may have avoided the injury. They are all of 10-15 bucks to get both, and well worth the money.

[​IMG]

OK, back to carving. As above, take your pencil and mark off where you will separate the mustache from the beard.

[​IMG]

do your stop cut along the marked line, and then cut in from the beard side. Also blend in from the beard side to ease it in to stop cut for the mustache.

[​IMG]

Now is the time to break out your V-tool if you have one. You CAN accomplish this with just a knife, but it takes a lot more work. A v-tool makes the detailing at this point much nicer. Use the v-tool in careful cuts to create the hair detail in the mustache, beard and hair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, mark out some wrinkles in the sleeves.

[​IMG]

and carve them out with your v-tool.

[​IMG]

And you have a nice little carving of a gnome. All that's left to do is paint him!

25. Backwoods Bliss

Blog Posts:
    Yayyyyyy, been waiting for the update. Looks good and thanks for taking the time to do this tutorial, will be sure to give this a try. :)

26. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    sorry it took so long. Please feel free to post pics of your results, i'd love to see everyone's attempts

27. Andy2112

Andy2112 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Excellent tutorial. Another one to add to the list of things to carve. Nice one. :32:

28. OzaawaaMigiziNini

OzaawaaMigiziNini Guide

Blog Posts:
    Guy I work with has one, made me a wood spirit on my old basswood walking stick in less than two hours with just the light of a flashlight last fall.

29. OzaawaaMigiziNini

OzaawaaMigiziNini Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Ursinos, Brother, this is a butt-kicking tutorial. My uncle and I have this game, where we try to get the other with a Lawn Gnome (hiding it on their chair, or in their bed, or on their doorstep). Hopefully this fall I will have the time (and tools) to make a dozen of these, just to toy with him during christmas!!!

Muahahahahha

30. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    I used to have a friend who kept complaining that she was being stalked by gnomes. I keep thinking I should find out where she lives know and just go leave one on the hood of her car some night lol.

31. sotramk

sotramk Guide

Blog Posts:
    First attempt at one of these little guys.
    Thanks Ursinos for the tute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks danged good there man! good job!

33. sotramk

sotramk Guide

Blog Posts:
    Howdy Ursinos,
    Haven't noticed you posting much. Hope all is well up your way.

34. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    been kinda doing as my namesake and hibernating. haven't been doing much of anything all winter. hopefully I'll be more active now that the weather is getting a bit warmer

35. sotramk

sotramk Guide

Blog Posts:
    same here,.. was able to get out last week and harvest some whittling mat'l before the next storm blew in.
    Spring's a comin', eventually.

36. Ursinos

Ursinos Guide

Blog Posts:
    yeah, I need to get out for a hike. I have the potential to do a photoshoot out in the woods with a friend and I need to find a good location for it, hopefully before the weather gets too much warmer. winter is kinda part of the theme