Central Florida Meetup - Planned for January 21-22, 2017

Discussion in 'Events' started by El Duderino, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Tampajimmie

Tampajimmie Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    A couple weeks ago I drove up to north Florida for an over nighter in torreya state park. After setting up camp and processing fire wood, my friends and I went swimming in the river. The water was clean and very refreshing. I think that's the key to Florida trips. Going somewhere that has the option for swimming to cool down.

WILL likes this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've seen photos of that location. Looks great and I hope to head there this fall.

WILL likes this.
  3. fishhunter904

fishhunter904 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Tampajimmie Can you share any info about the hike, camp, access to water or any details about the park. We were thinking of going in a couple of months any tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    @fishhunter904, I take it that you're in NE FL? What type of fishing do you do?

fishhunter904 likes this.
  5. Tampajimmie

Blog Posts:
    You enter the park and head to the ranger station and hope that he is there. If not, there is a host camper that can help register you. If I remember correctly it was $5 a person for the hike in sites. I chose one on top of the ridge but next time I will pick the one closest to the water. It's not so close that you have to worry about gators coming into your camp. They don't allow you to collect fire wood and they have back county lean toos with bundles that you pay $5 for each. Just a warning, I bought two bundles and some of the wood was starting to enter into a punky stage and didn't split well. There are easy trails that lead to the river and I used a sawyer and boiling to purify it for my drinking and cooking purposes. Oh yeah, it was only like an easy mile hike so you don't have to worry too much about pack weight. We had no problems with bears or raccoons but I did almost step on a cottonmouth. All in all a great location and I do recommend it.

fishhunter904 likes this.
  6. El Duderino

El Duderino Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with waiting until November. Way too damn hot/humid right now. I don't have a canoe or kayak, but I'd definitely be up for an overnight water trip in late fall.

7. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    My canoe seats two, so if my daughter doesn't go I've got a spare seat. Last overnighter we did was on the Peace River. The whole stretch of river was sandy beach & clear water with "No Trespassing" signs everywhere. We ended up camping on one of those beaches. I'm not sure of the legality of it, but I was told there's a water easement so we were legally camped on that. We were bug free, there was plenty of opportunity for fishing and drift wood everywhere for our camp fire. Hammocking right next to the water was real enjoyable. I'd sure be up for repeating that experience on any Florida river once the weather cools off.

El Duderino likes this.
  8. fishhunter904

fishhunter904 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Tampajimmie Thank you very much, that exactly the info I was looking for!!

Tampajimmie likes this.
  9. fishhunter904

fishhunter904 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Usingmyrights Yes, I am in Jacksonville, usually go to North Georgia (Cohutta Wilderness) specifically for all of my hiking and bush craft. I do a ton of freshwater bass and crappie fishing on the lake I live on, but I mostly prefer inshore/offshore saltwater fishing. I do allot of Land based shark fishing off of the beaches in the Jacksonville area and we tag them for NOAA ( Catch, tag, release). I enjoy the shark fishing the most but the older I get the harder those trips become! I would post some pics of the larger sharks we have got off the beaches here If I could figure out how.

10. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I only had 1 at the time of our last meet and discussion of a possible float trip. I'm up to 3 now thanks to craigslist. I could definitely let someone borrow a yak or a canoe.

WILL likes this.
  11. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I recently started inshore fishing from my yak. I haven't been to the jacksonville area yet, mostly around St Augustine and Crescent. I hope to do some shark fishing sometime in the near future, but I'd like to shadow someone to learn the ropes. I plan to try to get an inshore trip or two I this weekend if time and weather allows. The tide was awful yesterday. It looked more like a river churning than a tide and was super low.

12. Tampajimmie

Blog Posts:
    Thinking about doing a two night canoe trip at Alexander springs next week. Plan is to kayak/canoe out to a site to camp. Set up and cool off in the water. Shouldn't be too bad at night and I will be trying out a jacks r better bridge hammock.

Usingmyrights and WILL like this.