Chest Rig vs Go Bag for Black Rifle

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Panzer, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinking about putting a together a bag for the support of my AR rifle. Something I can grab and go with and not worry I don't have the right gear. Chest rigs, plate carriers etc seem less quick in those situations and also are cumbersome. What does others use on here?

2. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What are you looking to carry?

A few magazines and a sidearm? The HPG kit bags are pretty much perfect for that.

3. Urban Whittling

Urban Whittling Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cross body bag over non-shooting shoulder so that nothing is in the way of my rifle is what I prefer. Can be as cheap as a generic messenger/possibles bag or as expensive as you want to go. I like the size of the Mountainsmith Rift.

4. Ridgerunner84

Ridgerunner84 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep my AR pistol (5.56) with my plate carrier and 3 loaded mags. It's not cumbersome at all to me. Very quick and efficient, and safe, to throw on. Also in there is my gun belt with spare rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, IFAK, TQ, knife, and gloves. Bedside table has my G19 that will drop into the gun belt. If it's bad enough that I need my rifle, I will want all of that if at all possible. The key thing is practice, practice, practice. Know where everything is in the dark so it's second nature.

Also, if you don't have it, a weapon mounted light is vital (and spare batteries). Even though it may not be dark out, you may have to enter a dark place.

alukban, freebirdfb, Cro and 10 others like this.
  5. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  6. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    An HSGI AO rig with two mags, an IFAK, and a tourniquet. Knife, gloves, and a streamlight micro clipped to the vest - hanging in the closet between my dress shirts.

It’ll fit under a regular hooded sweatshirt without giving up many clues. Yes, that’s only 90 rounds (two mags on the rig and one in the rifle)... but to be honest, 90 rounds is actually quite a bit for me to dissuade or neutralize an aggressor with. An attacker (or two) really doesn’t want me shooting at him 90 times. Not likely to go well for him. Trust me on this.

freebirdfb, Cro, Oakenhart and 5 others like this.
  7. bsemler

bsemler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got plate carrier and battle with 8 magazines on plate carrier and two on belt with tq,blowout kit,sd40 and 2 sd magazines
    I do have a chest rig and drop leg holster new for sale if want go that route if you are interested
    20190302_134053.jpg 20190302_134015.jpg

alukban, Cro, Whit Spurzon and 8 others like this.
  8. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    I am really liking the idea of a grab and go mag bag that has the essentials. Medical, mags, back up light, gloves, maybe a back up light. What else am
    I missing?

alukban, Oakenhart and Gruxxx like this.
  9. jayclimber

jayclimber BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Chest rig or plate carrier with a battle belt in a pack or duffel. Some guys keep a 3 mag bandolier (similar to the fight strap listed above) with a daypack in their vehicle.

I always have a loaded chest rig, plate carrier, battle belt, and pack loaded and ready to go. Most chest rigs and/or plate carriers are easy to slide into and go. Same with a battle belt. Everything is at the ready.

If your gearing to grab and go then chances are your gonna get in a gunfight, so having armor is a must.

This is my "Go Bag" kit...
    20171106_082229_kindlephoto-27504923.jpg
    I believe in having armor and having sufficient means to survive initial contact and break contact plus the means to then evade. So much people think in terms of a firearm and ammo but overlook the less cool items such as a blow out kit, food, water, land nav gear, comms, firearm cleaning kit, light (plus 1 for a weapons mounted light), and more...

Mine may be a little excessive but it is a starting point to work off of.

HPG bag was mentioned above, their heavy recon chest bag is great to hold a couple AR mags, a sidearm, a TQ, Israeli bandage, a light, radio, and map/compass. Combine that with a small hydration daypack and you can carry addition mags, water, and other survival gear if need be... Kinda like this...
    20180714_214319.jpg

Heck, even a Finnish gas mask bag can be set up as a go bag of sorts! The internal pockets will hold 3 AR mags, a rolled up Chicom chest rig, and some essentials!

I guess it depends on your roll with it. Bump in the night, patrolling the property, Modern Minuteman role :14:, SHTF, etc... My biggest recommendation is training in it for its purpose and setting it up to work for YOUR needs.

alukban, JakeStone, Cro and 10 others like this.
  10. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’d say start small and work in as you figure out more of what you need (and can afford). It’s easy to blow a lot of money on gear, and then maybe find that some of it doesn’t fit your needs and has to be revised. I went my route because it’s something to start with, it was affordable (bought in pieces and sometimes on sale), and I’m only one guy no matter how many mags I have. One guy with a carbine just cannot fight the whole universe by himself no matter what. But I can realistically defend myself, join with others to provide a little mutual support, tend to some first aid needs, etc. So I went with an adaptable solution that fits my ability now and can be upgraded / replaced as I go.

Also, as said above - a Finnish bag will hold a couple AR mags and some extras. For under $20, it’s a decent low-vis way to keep some essentials at hand. I use one with a first aid kit and multi tool as my range bag.

alukban, Oakenhart, Not Sure and 5 others like this.
  11. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Like @goon just said it's easy to spend money on things you find later aren't that great.

I had a lot of gear left over from time in the military but I took a layered approach back then and just kept what still might pertain to me today:

Rifle has two mags on it, buttstock magazine carriers are everywhere, they all perform about the same as far as I can tell. Second magazine is either in the mag well or if you dont want it loaded you can find one of those carriers like the Israelis use. With a 30 round magazine in the buttstock carrier you can go all the way up to a drum magazine in the rifle if you wish, or one of those Surefire 60 or 100 round mags. Even with two standard 30 round magazine thats a decent amount of firepower before you're reloading from your gear.

Then a "war belt", this will have spare mags, IFAC, knife, multitool, etc whatever you want. Its nothing to grab throw a belt on and go. If you get to the point you need suspenders on your belt it's too heavy and you need to ditch some stuff. It should just be a belt, padded or not. Drop leg rigs will add space but again slow things down when you're trying to don the belt.

Assault pack, vest, chest rig or whatever else is last.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    alukban, Cro, Whit Spurzon and 8 others like this.
  12. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's less quick but I feel better with Ceramic Plates in a carrier. I went with HSGI Tacos pouches for the flexibility. I can use it with ARs, AKs, up to my 7.62 Nato guns too.
    IMG_4558.JPG
    Up next is to dial in the war belt.

alukban, JakeStone, Cro and 8 others like this.
  13. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    HSGI AO rig. It carries one HSGI Taco, one PIG single mag pouch, and a Tactical Tailor multi purpose pouch in the middle with IFAK and tourniquet.

It is not perfect. I’d like the CAT TQ to be in an individual pouch, but I didn’t have space. I also don’t want it exposed to the elements and UV light to help protect it from degradation. So it’s not as accessible as I’d prefer, but it’s there. Single mag pouches keep the bulk down. I needed one quick reload, but I also wanted one to be more secure. If I fall and one mag is snagged, the other still will not fall out. Gloves are on board - you always overlook them until you need them. Also medical shears - I don’t need to be trying to slice mangled clothes out of the way with a knife while you’re bleeding and screaming and flailing.

Pack is a plain North Face. No molle or camo, but it will blend in. From a distance I look like a regular person as long as I can keep the carbine slightly out of sight. No reason to be singled out.

54E928E4-7C57-4F46-A20C-35229972773D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    JakeStone, Cro, Oakenhart and 5 others like this.
  14. schapm

schapm Fidei Defensor. LB #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One of the Delta Force guys who now runs a gun school (maybe Vickers? I can’t recall...) is an advocate of an active shooter bag. I think the concept makes a ton of sense. A bag with an internal divider could hold magazines on one side, support gear on the other. You mentioned med kit, gloves, light... I might add a multitool. If for indoor use maybe a rubber door stop. I’m not a tactical guy, I’ve only taken pistol, edged weapons, and open hand courses.

15. bsemler

bsemler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Two things I dont have right know is my med kit and my pistol with molle holster 20190306_191142.jpg

alukban, Cro, Oakenhart and 3 others like this.
  16. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    A maxpedition versapack works pretty good in this role.

Oakenhart and Gruxxx like this.
  17. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you need to go gray from time to time a Laptop Bag is easy on the wallet and Lo Pro.
    Lots of pockets in mine, never had a Laptop in it.
    I have one from Eagle Industries that I use , no one ever gives it a second look.
    You can find them at thrift stores pretty cheap.
    People will run from you if wearing, or even carrying a chest rig.
    I have a couple of chest rigs but they only go in a linear line, to the range and back.
    Mine looks like this, Internet Picture.

[​IMG]

Edit to add: Guess it's called a "Attache Case", whatever that means?

reppans, Oakenhart, Gruxxx and 3 others like this.
  18. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got a padded belt kit I use that includes a couple mag pouches, flashlight, and an IFAK, but it would take more than a “bump in the night” for me to consider donning it.

946AF610-0228-4539-954C-D23A55F2C7FF.jpeg

alukban, JakeStone, Cro and 7 others like this.
  19. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lots to consider in these times:
    Camo or not, manuverability, concealability, accessibility, compatibility, etc.
    With the political climate of today and division between people and all these "special needs groups" I stay on the side of being un - noticeable / discreet / generic especially with this red flag nonsense where someone can go down the road of "he scares me" and now your screwed.

alukban, reppans, hidden_lion and 5 others like this.
  20. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cro, Oakenhart, Gruxxx and 1 other person like this.
  21. Panzer

Blog Posts:
  22. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bedside I use a 5.11 Bail Out Bag

-Two 30rd Rifle mags
    -Two 17rd Glock mags
    -Two ASP restraints
    -Set of house keys (taped, no jingle)
    -Blow out kit
    -Ear plugs
    -Flashlight
    -Two chem lights
    -Deactivated cell phone (still can call 911)
    -Poncho (Tarp/Cover/Litter)

I have a slick plate carrier if I had time to grab it. Keep it slick so i can cover with a light jacket. This allows me to layer with my needs. I like the shoulder bag too because in allows me to drive with it on my lap in my car of need be.

I am a fan of options.

For duty I perfer a thigh rig with my extras using a Zak Tool clip set which has proven tp be fast.

alukban and Oakenhart like this.
  23. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    what happened, did you forget about the US Peacekeeper Rapid Deployment Pack??? https://www.uspeacekeeper.com/colle...twQzxN2iB1YDfQI2hZEo232AfQvAdVsaAkpwEALw_wcB#

it's not lo-pro but a solid active shooter/fighting loadout when paired with a carbine.

they say:

"The Rapid Deployment Pack is compact enough to stow under a seat, yet large enough to hold everything you might need. There is plenty of room for: (4) rifle and (2) pistol magazines, a concealed backup handgun, two-way radio, 16.9 oz water, flashlight and spare batteries, first aid kit, knife, multi-tool, trauma kit/clotting agent, tourniquet and other personal essentials."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    alukban, hidden_lion and Panzer like this.
  24. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    A bag like that loaded with “(4) rifle and (2) pistol magazines, a concealed backup handgun, two-way radio, 16.9 oz water, flashlight and spare batteries, first aid kit, knife, multi-tool, trauma kit/clotting agent, tourniquet and other personal essentials” may be pretty poorly balanced though. That’s easily 20 pounds of gear (if not more) on one shoulder. I wouldn’t want to wear that for hours.

Has anyone used one? For $40, it’s also not a huge gamble. But the marketing guys are always out to get us. Just have to objectively look at the option and see if it meets the need.

Cro and Panzer like this.
  25. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Panzer likes this.
  26. Trail68

Trail68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ^ some sound advice in there

Ridgerunner84 likes this.
  27. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    Now to find a good inexpensive light for my AR

Ridgerunner84 likes this.
  28. Ridgerunner84

Ridgerunner84 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you don't mind me asking, roughly, what's your budget? I'd be happy to help look around in my spare time

Panzer and goon like this.
  29. Cro

Cro American Grouch Hobbyist Lifetime Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I've tried to use one of those, my problem with it is if you put mags in the mag pouches as designed the whole of the outer rig wants to lean way out, too far out. Even if you just went one mag per it still leaned outboard way too much. My remedy was old school LBE solution, bungie around but that wasn't a good enough solution and ultimately ditched it.

I also didn't like external and clearly visible mag pouches in general. I prefer one I can unzip that has internal mag compartments, the open bag also facilitates use as a dump pouch etc.

Panzer,

It depends a lot on your specific application. As you figured out with packs being the pack master actual, there isn't a single do all solution.

I've divided my needs up by application.

At home, inside, after hours. I keep my pistol rig by my bed. It's a Blue Alpha Gear belt with my pistol, an IFAK, and a esstac 2 pistol 1 AR mag pouch. My AR isn't far either. This get up is the bump in the night.

Outside the home but on the property it's that same rig but my AR is with me. Applicable while I'm doing work on the ranch so to speak.

On an as needed if ever needed basis, my plates, AR500 swimmer cut in a Mayflower rig with a HS DC3R, loaded and IFAK plus tourniquets etc is inside my gear room on a stand.

Outside the home off the property in my jeep I have a active response bag. They call it the TIB and they still make them. I got mine back in 2009 and still use it. You can find it here. Along with that I've a slick carrier and level IIIa. There are better bags available today but this one worked for me so I've not upgraded.

Those are all 'cold' options that I use. 'Hot' options are full kit and well, pretty sure you can sort that out.

G'Luck.

ra2bach and goon like this.
  30. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice setup

jayclimber likes this.
  31. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I keep looking at the options in a war belt that I could use to mimic old-school LBE only with modern MOLLE. Problem is that I’m not sure what will work with what. When you’re looking at $100 to start for just the exterior belt, then an internal belt, then suspenders and still not carrying even one spare mag yet... that’s pricey and kind of a gamble.

Cro likes this.
  32. Cro

Cro American Grouch Hobbyist Lifetime Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    It is. I went and tried it too. Here are my thoughts after the fact.

I'm a firm believer in 1st, 2nd, 3rd line concepts. When full kit is required my carrier with associated chest rig is the first line. Belt mounted is second and 3rd is the pack.

I have three primary weapons platforms that I train with regular. A Socom 16, a AR, and a Mossy 590A1. I used to train with an AK almost exclusively and while I love that gun it's not pragmatic for the group I train with now.

I built support gear for each based on what I learned at various training courses where I used each.

I tried the 'war belt' with molle option, I went with the HSGI version. I found that my gear mounted to it wanted to peel out and down. It sagged, it did stuff I didn't like. At the same time it worked for keeping the stuff I wanted right where my hands wanted it but it just didn't trip my trigger in the end. I know folks who use them and love them and again, it works, just not to what I wanted specifically.

A reasonable alternative I've found is a stiff duty belt with a liner belt. Specifically the Blue Alpha Gear duty belt with a liner belt, but lots of people make this option today. Greay Ghost Gear does a good one too. Basically you have the outer duty belt that is your 'war belt', on which you mount all the stuff you're thinking about. Your 'inner belt' goes through the belt loops of your trousers, the outer face of this belt is velcro. The inner face of your duty belt is also velcro. When you don the duty belt it sticks hard to the inner belt, effectively locking your gear in place. No sag, no bounce, solid mounting.

This video does a good job of showing it in action.

His set up is very similar to mine, including the esstac mag carriers. It allows you to carry your supplementary gear if you have a carrier, but sans or ditched carrier you still have your necessities plus ammo at hand.

The liner or inner belt is my edc belt these days, it's comfortable and stiff enough on its own for my typical appendix carry. However, if needed I can put the full duty belt on very quickly and have a very functional ready to go rig. It eliminates the need for the suspenders from traditional LBE set up.

I like LBE set ups for no armor applications. I do run one specifically for patrolling that is built around 7.62x51 weapons.

You mind find the duty belt with liner to fit your bill. It's not really a new concept. Cops with duty belts and belt keepers to connect with their regular belt have been around for ages.

jayclimber, hidden_lion and goon like this.
  33. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of my friends is running the grey ghost belt with the Velcro interface. I see the practicality, but I’ve been kind of “meh” on it. I’ve looked at the Viking Tactical belts lately because I like that they allow some mixture of traditional belt mount and MOLLE.

One path I have also considered is the UW Gear “Minuteman” carriers simply because the makers designed them for long wear in austere conditions. I think they’d probably be “fast enough” and very durable. But things do start to get expensive once you venture outside of surplus (even though you may end up with a lot more). I’ve also looked at the USMC MOLLE belt that’s being issued now as “something” affordable to try the concept out.

jayclimber, Cro and Whit Spurzon like this.
  34. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    I would like to keep it under $100. Thank you!

alukban likes this.
  35. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Go old school LBE.

If they're critiquing your gear, youre either dead or not putting enough rounds downrange.

Oh, and if the situation should arise, and you do your part, you may be able to upgrade.:16:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Dusty Tom, hidden_lion and jayclimber like this.
  36. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Tangotag ah, Panasonic Toughbook. Nice. I have a couple. Old CF-28, but runs Linux much better than Windows.

Full magnesium case, in a pinch you could scrape it for fire starting accelerant.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    hidden_lion and Tangotag like this.
  37. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd personally recommend against a shoulder bag, one like the sog bag linked (I own one) is pretty awkward to move in, and not the best to reload from either, it will move around a lot and bounce pretty bad when running (if guns are involved, I assume running is as well).

If quick donning is the priority I'd say battle belt>plate carrier>chest rig. the differences aren't huge, but a quality PC with good buckles and practice is very fast and intuitive to put on, and very stable when moving, and also can hold armor, which is always a bonus.

I've seen a few bandolier and shoulder bags that try to overcome the bouncing and shifting issues, but by the time you rig them up properly you could have just put on a real fighting setup.

Another option would be a plain old shoulder bag/man purse with everything in it, but when its time to throw it on you transfer an OWB kydex mag pouch from the bag to your pants belt, I've used some paddle style ones and I think there are a few with holster style J clips as well. It wouldn't be as fast to set up, but then at least your mags would be in a stable, consistent place and your med kit and gloves and whatever else is in the bag could shift around more with less consequence

jayclimber and goon like this.
  38. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Or maybe it gets hit by a tracer round and acts as a fire accelerant...might really heat things up, lol

marbleman likes this.
  39. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like your mention of the LBV. I have an LBV(Enhanced) that I got for less than $20. I replaced the giant shoulder pads with 1 1/2" webbing. The contraption fits over any layers I have and is comfortable while wearing a backpack. I tried to post a photo but I am having problems.

jayclimber and Black5 like this.
  40. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I had my AR, I would just stick a couple 30 rd mags in the back pockets of my jeans. It was quick and easy. It never raised any eyebrows and it was cheap. If I needed any more ammo, it usually went into a lightweight day pack that I kept by the back door. Don't overlook what you already own. Sometimes it's the best solution.

Steve

41. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to see that shoulder strap mod, my current set up is a $15 LBV-2. Great piece of lightweight kit.

42. Trail68

Trail68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Panzer
    A used Surefire is your best bet, with the newer Scout DF versions a good used 600 Scout with the clicky switch can be had or even one of the older 1000lm Furys in a cheap VTAC mount in your budget. Gear exchanges are good places to find them, dudes are always wanting to upgrade to "all the lumens" and will sell off the previous version. Would not recommend going with a cheap manufacturer light.

ezra45 likes this.
  43. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I didn't really do this consciously, but in reading this thread I realized I also set myself up with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Line concept.

First line: A battle belt with two mags for the AR as well as the pistol holster and two mags for the pistol, IFAK, hand-held light, dump pouch, knife, compass, and Leatherman pouch. Water bottle carrier can go over the shoulder or molle onto the belt.
    Second line: Plate carrier with six mags.
    Third line: Pack for outdoor living with shelter, food, batteries, extra medical, and various other tools and stuff.

The second post of this thread is my "Third Line" stuff.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/my-edc-ghb-and-ghb-bob.227887/

jayclimber likes this.
  44. jayclimber

jayclimber BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Or just keep it all in a duffel bag!

I call it my "Duffel of Doom"!

20170425_103511_kindlephoto-60473552.jpg

icemancometh, Unistat76 and Dusty Tom like this.
  45. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    DSCN4700.JPG DSCN4701.JPG DSCN4702.JPG

Hi Mr Boone, Here are a few photos of that LBV(Enhanced) I modified :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    jayclimber likes this.