Chest Rig vs Go Bag for Black Rifle

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Panzer, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Andy in NH

Andy in NH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's what I have hanging from the rear of the driver's seat in my truck.
    I have everything they describe in it as well - my "personal essentials" includes a survival filtration straw, beef jerky, and mixed nuts.
    (I should probably rattle can camo the water bottle.)
    Despite its limitations, it is a great piece of kit for "grab and go" without having to truck around my chest rig.
    Truck_go_bag.jpg

ra2bach, Panzer, hidden_lion and 2 others like this.
  2. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just threw this Gray-Man/Urban Go bag/Get Home bag together using an Eastsports brand day/hiking backpack, might be best with a Pistol or SBR AR take-down configuration instead of a 16" carbine.... doesn't have a lot of stuff in it right now, because some of my regular stuff are in my other backpacks and cabinets.... but there's space for quite a bit of additional stuff.

Main compartment closest to back;
    1) USGI 6-mag bandolier
    2) BCUSA 10x10 PU tarp
    3) USMC Improved Bug Net System pop up bug-bivy tent
    4) USGI poncho liner/woobie
    5) Stansports Scout tent poles (36" tall per pole, can move mid sections to have one 24" short and one 48" tall)

Second Main compartment; empty, can be used for extra clothing, or take-down AR Pistol/firearm.
    third compartment;
    food and tarp stakes and cordage; space for additional items like canteens or bottles of water
    final compartment, Snoweak Stainless steel cookset, space for fire start kit, alcohol stove, collapsible stove, gas stove, fuel can, etc.
    side compartments,
    Jungle FAK kit with space for extra items on one side
    other side have AR cleaning kit, space for yet more stuff.
    Shoulder strap has a pocket for a cell phone
    there are two mesh pockets for water bottles on the outside of the side compartments.
    There are two tie down rings on the whole backpack, a carry handle, and a daisy chain row.
    DSCF2031.JPG DSCF2032.JPG DSCF2033.JPG DSCF2036.JPG DSCF2034.JPG DSCF2037.JPG DSCF2038.JPG DSCF2039.JPG DSCF2040.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    hdbeav, carpenter and icemancometh like this.
  3. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    There used to be a pretty good shoulder bag thing that had belly strap as well as a shoulder strap; it carried 9 magazines in 3 pockets, but for me, I would have set it up with 6 mags, and use the remaining 3rd pocket as a place to put medical pull out insert.... sort of a minimalist shooter's bag, when paired with a hydration pack that carries extra stuff like cleaning kit, snacks, batteries, and a small pouch on a shoulder D-ring for land nav gear.... (or on your belt)

4. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m partial to a belt setup as a first line. They’re more comfortable and user friendly at the range (for me). Its nice to be able to throw a pack or plate carrier on or off and still have the essential bits. Also, I hate running with a chest rig or plate carrier, reloads are slower, and they clutter up really fast by the time you’ve added an ifak, extra flashlight, pistol etc... I imagine a shoulder sling would be even worse.

Pretty standard deal, big pouch is tear-off trauma stuff, little pouch opens up and holds water bottles, empty mags, brass etc...
    78F644CB-2614-4676-9888-BD8F1A91944F.jpeg

Ps. I’m not an expert, my preferences are geared more toward comfort while playing John wick at the range than any real world know-how. To be taken with a grain of salt.

hdbeav, BigDaddyHoss, Huey and 4 others like this.
  5. logan-boone

logan-boone Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm no gunfighter or whatever the cool kids call themselves these day, but I have spent a ton of time wearing all types of gear/rigs over in Iraq. The only thing I notice about some of the belts, plate carrier, LBE rigs in this thread is that if you put gear on your back or back of your belt, make sure you can still sit in and drive a vehicle. Every soldier modified his gear to what position they held on the truck, you could always tell who was a driver, gunner, TC, or dismount by their gear.

Trail68, Gruxxx, Park Swan and 6 others like this.
  6. Zach Smith

Zach Smith Scout

Blog Posts:

^THIS!

Stillness is death. If you can't move you die.

Jacob and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  7. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have trouble with this domain of kits. I do have a Haley Strategic chest rig with hanger pouch for mags, medical, etc, but it lies in my closet. It's not pre-packed with anything, and I certainly wouldn't want to fool with it during an intruder scenario.

My AR is a carbine with a Trijicon MRO and an Enforce light, but it's not really my go to home defense firearm. The
    rifle doesn't go places with me either.

But because I have a lot of gear, I put the following together. It's a back of the mind work in progress. I chose this because it's more urban friendly, however, once one is carrying around a rifle discreet goes out the window.

Maxpedition EDC Versipack, left-side, black (this model is no longer in production). It used to be my travel bag, i.e. it's been to Disney World many times in another format.
    -Double Mag taco on the external MOLLE
    -2 PMAGS w/ Hornady TAP
    -Nalgene
    -Hank of Paracord
    -Lightsticks
    -limited IFAk
    -Bic lighter
    -Leatherman model I don't use
    -Streamlight PolyTac
    -Ear plugs
    -Safety Glasses
    -N95 mask
    -Clif bar
    -Gorilla tape wrapped around a card
    -Monocular
    -E&E kit

Want to Add:
    Door wedge(s)
    Vial of Vaseline coated cotton balls (not for campfires)
    Tourniquet

I don't have a plate carrier or plates, but I have four soft armor vests one of which is external and a soft armor panel in my GHB. If I bought plates, I'm certain I'd eventually buy a helmet then Peltors and nods & IR laser then Heaven only knows what else. I'm trying to be over my operative phase as you can see artifacts from with the presence my E&E kit :25:

Jacob and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  8. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    various personal chest rigs
    20170526_172234.jpg
    top to bottom, Tactical Tailor MAV, DCU self-made prototype with SPEAR pouches, and 6-mag split front rig, also self-made.
    DSCF1691.JPG
    lighter weight MAV setup, 8-mag pouch self-made, just two Utility pouches for misc gear.
    DSCF1772.JPG
    Pencott Snowdrift .308 chest rig ; self made, stolen from my vehicle along with the black split chest rig :(

9. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your self made stuff looks great! It looks like those thin straps on the green one would hide away under some backpack straps nicely.

bummer about the theft.

CamoDeafie82 likes this.
  10. Jeremy Hess

Jeremy Hess Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Haley strategic flat pack or now flatpack plus if you want more room and the haley strategic D3CR chest rig. Been working for me for 7 years now 6 in combat great products and you can't go wrong at all with them. That's where I ended up after destroying 5 or 6 packs on missions and having multiple chest rigs fail or just not quite do the job right. When it comes to products from travis haley theres nowhere else I'd go for a better opinion on the subjects.

11. hawkeye1776

hawkeye1776 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Panzer, about 10 years ago, a fellow named Patrick Sweeney wrote an article on grab and go bags for a preparedness magazine. The name of the article was "Be ready...and have a bag packed". I made a few copies of the article some time ago. I'll look for a copy to send you - meanwhile, you could do a web search for the info.

I have a MA54 bag set up per Sweeney's article. It is a comfort item, IMO.

Panzer likes this.
  12. Burncycle

Burncycle Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a job that would really involve any sort of direct action oriented warfighting or LEO rig, so as cool as it is, to be honest I don't have anything like that.

I do have a duffle style range bag with a bunch of ammo and other goodies in it for when I'm heading to the range, and a small medical jump bag I use in the Fire Department, so I suppose those could be pressed into service if needed, but I wouldn't want to walk too far with them. I will say I generally wear Tru-Spec 24/7 pants and they have excellent organization, the cargo pockets have internal subdividers specifically designed for 30 round AR-15 magazines, and they're also large enough to hold the contents of an IFAK while still remaining relatively discreet, they look nice, really don't need ironing, and are great outdoor pants for hiking and such as well.

At home, the most likely scenario would be some sort of bump in the night waking me up, where my half naked butt is already behind the response curve. Since that's about as "come as you are" as it gets, and because weight isn't as big a concern (I won't be patrolling with the thing for hours), I use two 30 round magazines coupled together. That gives me 60 rounds and an option should I have a magazine related issue, and if I have time to don a suit of armor and grab a bunch of other stuff then good deal, if not then rock on. There is a CAT strapped to the stock.

I do EDC a pistol and basic medical stuff, and I really can't imagine a realistic scenario in which I'd need a long arm in my vehicle, but a 300 blackout AR pistol is perfect IMO for a "PDW" role out to 150m or so. Broken down, it fits great in a Maxpedition Sitka sized sling-bag (or the Fieldline Tactical walmart clone) which doubles then as a great transportation and range bag for it. The whole gimmick of this type of bag is that you can swing it around in front of you to access the contents without having to take it off (google image search "Maxpedition Sitka" if you've never seen it).

With the broken down AR pistol in it, there's just enough room left in the main compartment for 5 magazine tacos. The magazines are held in place and basically don't intrude at all into the main compartment other than about an inch. When swung around to your front, these magazines are ready to grab, making it a psuedo "chest rig". Not that it really beats a dedicated chest rig anything, but it's kinda neat. It's not that "grey man", although nobody would give it a second glance around where I live despite the "tactical" look. The other pouches are sized well to fit some basic items (IFAK, bug repellent, clif bars, etc), but like most sling bags / versipacks / messenger bags, you can very easily over pack these things till they are uncomfortable so be careful. I wouldn't push it past 15 pounds routinely -- once the AR pistol is removed of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jayclimber likes this.
  13. Andy in NH

Andy in NH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got in contact with Mr. Sweeney about his article.
    He had this to say:
    "Not having luck finding it on the computer.
    I need at least one unique word to kick up results in a search that don't go on for pages and pages.
    You might ask on the forum if they can provide even a hint. "

RobbieinME likes this.
  14. hawkeye1776

Blog Posts:
    It was Patrick Sweeney, but the title I quoted was bass-ackward. The title was "Be packed, and have a ready bag". The article was published in a special publication of Guns&Ammo, "Tactical Guns & Gear", and the magazine was copyrighted 2006. I kept the magazine, because the article (and a couple others) was well-written.

Andy in NH likes this.
  15. hawkeye1776

Blog Posts:
    If anyone can reach Mr. Sweeney, please ask him to share his email address with me. I'd like to be able to share the article that he wrote with others. Or, if he is a member of this community, please ask him to PM me. Thanks, all!

16. Andy in NH

Andy in NH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    With regard to "Be packed, and have a ready bag", Mr. Sweeney told me that the article is the property of the magazine and therefore not available for distribution.

17. Hammer Forged

Hammer Forged Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    ^ This
    (although a plate carrier is better in a lot of situations)
    IMG_20190502_183955.jpg

Panzer and icemancometh like this.
  18. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thank you

19. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    An old black humor saying is: “Don’t look important -- the snipers might be low on bullets”. For that reason I have always hope to be dangerous but look harmless. Grey man I guess is another way to say it. No black or tactical gear for me, I’d rather be mistaken for a bum than tagged as a threat.

Panzer likes this.
  20. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't really get the idea that black gear is a bad thing... black laptop bags and school backpacks are pretty much ubiquitous; same for black t shirts (band ts and the like). I suppose it depends on where though?
    For me.... while this may be "grey men"; it just obvious to me (or anyone who has observed similarly)
    511pants.jpg

Compare to this;
    a-young-farmhand-stands-watch-with-a-fire-extinguisher-in-a-wheat-B5J1KY.jpg

A very ordinary person. That is the essence I would go for... again, maybe it depends on the area. Carhartts, Wrangler clothing, Rustler clothing, Cabela's/Bass Pro, things of that sort versus 5.11 and similar "tactical clothing"... granted I myself am guilty of wearing tan BDU pants and similar pants lol but cargo pants are very much an ordinary thing out here in Oregon... the majority of my clothing are not from any tactical clothing stores, but from thrift stores and outlet stores.

werewolf won likes this.
  21. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don’t think I’ve ever not missed a concealment bag regardless of the color. They all scream “I have a secret compartment for a hand gun”, even leather woman’s hand bags so equipped. But if it’s black in ballistic nylon covered in fastex buckles it draws a special kind of attention from me. I also notice people in military boots, anyone with a riggers belt, soft shell jackets and a few other features. I’m not alone; it’s just part of my situational awareness protocol.

None of those things means the person is going to pull a gun and start shooting -- odds are they will not be the one to start – but they might be the ones to finish. I also notice anyone not doing what they should be doing. Act nervous, head on a pivot, keeping your back to the wall, trying to keep everyone in front of them, being too silent or too talkative—I notice and if you’re watching me your see me being elsewhere when I see that behavior in other people. I want to read about the robbery, not be part of it.

CamoDeafie82 likes this.
  22. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    a back up light?

:4:

23. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Classic Clint on magazines.....