Chicago Cutlery P16 stockman

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by SweatyBadger, Sep 26, 2018.

1. SweatyBadger

SweatyBadger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg I was gifted a big box of camping/hunting supplies and found an interesting 3 blade slipjoint pocket knife it’s was disgustingly neglected in a leather pouch. After wiping it up it looks like it might be an old p16 Chicago cutlery stockman knife. However I cannot really find any more information about it other than it might be collectible or it might be just another dime a dozen “gentleman’s” pocket knife any infor would be great image.jpg

2. Lee C.

Lee C. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like that stockman. I carry one at work every day. Don't carry my SAKs because my pockets get so much sawdust in them and it gets all in the knife. The knife I carry at work is a cheaper redhead brand from bass pro. Takes an edge and gets Alot of use. I think you'll really like that one! Ya did a nice job of bringing it back to life!!

3. SweatyBadger

SweatyBadger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks lee, It sharpened up extremely well on a small Arkansas stone. Seems like it’s an excellent condition for what I can only assume is 30+ year old pocketknife (again I’m not 100% on what it is)

4. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice looking knife. It must have stainless steel blades. It looks like it's made of the same stuff as this old Chicago Cutlery folding hunter that I have.

IMG_9480.JPG

5. SweatyBadger

SweatyBadger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that’s a nice one too. I have a few stainless blades but never one that was this “soft” to sharpen without being thin enough to bend 30 degrees. There was very slight surface rust when I cleaned it. Mostly there was the green gunk that happens from oxidizing alloys on the bolster and the hardware the scales just needed a dry brushing with a soft brush and a good damp rag rag took the rust of the blades when using a fingernail behind the cloth now if only I could say my other stainless knives have treated me as well lol

americanstrat98 likes this.
  6. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    They were available new for a few years in the 80s. They didn't sell very well for us, which surprised me at the time, since Chicago kitchen knives sold very well. I don't think Chicago Cutlery pocket knives are very common at all.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  7. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was in HS, my stepfather owned a local hardware store. The kind that had everything from night pots to toys. Even a gun cabinet sitting right in the middle where you could walk up and pick up the guns and touch them with no help. (yes we had an SP-1 AR walk out one day but that is another story for another day). He carried Chicago Cutlery knives and gave me a stockman when I went off to college. I still have a cherish that knife. Even the leather sheath still is in good shape.

8. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    7239AC84-3F9E-4928-937C-FC2AD0BCC50F.jpeg Here is mine. Had it 40 years now...

SweatyBadger likes this.