City waterline break!

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Nakadnu, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:24 AM.

1. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I live in a town with a population shy of 2,000 people. About 1 1/2 hours ago 6 city water mains broke putting 1/2 the town out of water and putting the rest under a "no water use request" until the City can get this fixed.
    As soon as we heard about it the wife went to the grocery store and stocked up on gallons, bottles and a couple 5 gallon jugs.
    I got the bathtub filling up and brought part of our bottled water stash in the house to use before using the new stuff.
    I asked the wife what it was like at the store kind of expecting it to be busy with people stocking up. But there were only 3 other people in there buying water. One person bought 2 cases of water and the other 2 had around 4 or 5 gallons.
    What supposedly brought this on was a water main broke a couple of days ago and the increase in pressure when they turned it back on caused the others to break. Our waterlines are in dire need of repair and their is actually work going on in town right now to do just that.
    I don't think it's over, this will most likely cause more issues down the road.
    It just reinforces the need to be prepared and the "Everything will be OK even if I do nothing" mentality of some people.
    Most people have no concept of just how much water they use in a 24 hour period.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, Badey and 6 others like this.
  2. denizen

denizen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It is smart to take some action immediately in situations like this. You might not have been able to get the water if you had waited.

3. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I live in a old town also, and you're right. It's like a dog chasing it's tail, get one fixed and it goes to the next weakest link. joe

MrFixIt and Nakadnu like this.
  4. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    The industry average used to be 100 gallons per capita per day.
    This is for drinking baithing washing clothes etc.
    I believe that is higher now.
    So your small town averages 200k gallons per day.
    I remember the days repairing water breaks.
    Usually around 4am subzero temps and on a hillside. Not fun!!!!!
    Take the crews a cup of coffee and try to be understanding. They appriciate it..
    Been there

NJHeart2Heart, MrFixIt, dub and 6 others like this.
  5. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Water, like anything else is easy come easy go for most folks. I think as outdoorsmen and women we have a better idea of water usage due to carrying it around with us, working to find it, purifying it, ect.

When all you have ever had to do for water is turn a nob, it makes it hard to appreciate and understand just how much water is needed and how important it really is.

Most people in rural areas are more on the ball with preparedness, surprised there wasn't a black-friday style rush for the water.

Zornt, central joe, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  6. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Are you friends with anyone on a well?
    If so, I'd take over a nice gift...

Zornt and central joe like this.