CivD's "Perpetual Tenkara" Trips.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by CivilizationDropout, May 15, 2018.

1. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This thread will house my action with the Tenkara that @t.darrah has entrusted to @Pastor Chris's capable hands.

For those of you curious about Tenkara and want to try before you buy, please stop by this thread and join the fray;

T.Darrah Perpetual Tenkara Pass Around

Day #1

Today was rough, but let's talk about a good part of my day.
    First I grab the Tenkara and go through the attached encoutremant to see what the was to play with. Rather than use one of the included flys, I decided to bring my own collection along. I've learned that Tenkara users have a certain type of fly each prefers and they stick with it. Since I'm learning I'll bring my cloud of flys and figure out what I like to use.

IMG_7241.JPG

I've had these since before I was a teen. Let's use em! I've never used an actual fly rod, ever. What I HAVE done is swish and dip with a conventional rod and reel. These flys reflect how often I did that. They're almost pristine. The thing is I don't have a fly wallet for them.
    Enter; MYOG.

Since @DavidJAFO'S Kendall mint cake tin is now my fire kit, my old Parade Gloss can has sat derelict on my shelf. No more, today it becomes my fly safe. I had a scrap of fleece in the miscellaneous bin, so that's my retention material.

Put the tin on the skin side, mark it out;

IMG_7239.JPG

Cut. Place into the tin and trim the edges back.

IMG_7240.JPG

Create the trout summoning circle;

IMG_7242.JPG

That settled, the first stop is the Upper Bolton to take advantage of its wide open shore on my first tentative casts as a prospective Tenkara angler.

IMG_7243.JPG

What felt like hours (40 minutes) of adjusting hand placement and recognizing what motions put the fly where, I was hitting the intended spot regularly enough for me to try something that looked fishy.

IMG_7245.JPG

That's not a fish. Just floating weeds.

Well, let's go find quiet forest and loud streams.

Welcome back to Valley Falls Park.
    I had come here over the winter and remarked on how likely the streams looked, as well as the signs posted prohibiting fishing. Luckily those signs were illegal and erroneous.

IMG_7246.JPG

First stop; the "sunfish pond" I was advised to practice on. They were there, but nobody was biting.

IMG_7250.JPG

Let's go find small pools and open spaces to cast!

MrFixIt, winter1857, actichy and 30 others like this.
  2. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Mighty handy, this is one of my favorite parts. Compact little carry to and from likely spots;

IMG_7251.JPG

Here's the gallery of likely spots that didn't yield fish;
    IMG_7252.JPG IMG_7253.JPG IMG_7254.JPG IMG_7256.JPG IMG_7260.JPG IMG_7261.JPG

Then we get to the spots that either;
    a) I'm not skilled enough to cast into.
    b) are so tucked in under fallen trees it's heartbreaking
    c) I'm not confident enough to cast into.

I find myself thinking that I would not be so careful with the rod if it were my own. Maybe not though..

IMG_7264.JPG IMG_7265.JPG IMG_7274.JPG

Just a few more...

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    MrFixIt, winter1857, actichy and 30 others like this.
  3. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    This spot was the closest I came to catching anything. After snapping this shot, I landed the fly in the eddy by that rock and it drifted by that undercut. My heart leapt because I saw a torpedo dart out to intercept!

IMG_7269.JPG

That exact moment I realized I was so enthralled and focused on landing that fly where I wanted, that my situational awareness was nonexistent. SPLASH! Into the pool runs a golden retriever. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

The jerk holding the unattached leash says nothing and whistles along down the trail. Leaving me to lift the rod as high as I can and try to avoid this dog that is barreling out of the stream after it's idiot.
    Furious.

Anyway, the rest of the stream turned into this;
    IMG_7270.JPG

But luckily this one joined, and there was plenty of room to practice not catching fish at the mix water.

IMG_7275.JPG IMG_7276.JPG

Right around this time my phone blares out a siren, in tandem with two within earshot up on the high trail.
    "Tornado and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings in this area"

Well the first thing I do when I think of high winds is look up;

IMG_7271.JPG

That could have been nasty.

I hightailed it out to get home and cook dinner.

A few things I've learned about hand placement, but I need to work on precision. Hopefully grandmother will be available on Thursday so I can try my hand again. Today I fished ahead of a storm, that's my excuse for no fish. That and mutts.

Until the next outing.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's a real pretty stream, looks super fishy. Don't worry to much about not catching fish, I couldn't catch a fish to save my life for a loooonnngggg time, months, and then it just clicked and most of the time now I can manage a few at least.

I look forward to your next TR.

5. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I'm tempted to bring my rod and drift a few red worms under those banks, but Tenkara is going to be the name of the game at least until I send this passaround to @MT_Fin next month.

I know they're there, I got a bump yesterday and actually saw a dart heading for my fly before the dog barged in, last winter I saw a few lazy fish in the cold water.

Thanks for the encouragement. I take heart from your posts, some of those little trickles you pull fish out of make me shake my head in wonder!

6. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering on my outing yesterday, about shorter lines and overall rod length. I thought that carrying multiple spools of preset lengths might be useful, is that often practiced?
    My thinking is that I'd be able to fish the bank of a pond or lake, then turn around and ply a tight cover stream.
    I used the pre tied line that arrived with the rod from @Pastor Chris, I'm thinking the length of it is what caused me some apprehension about casting into some of those honey holes. While it was excellent for whipping around with elbow room, I think I would have been way happier with a shorter line in the thicket.

I hope you don't mind the cross thread/partial quote! I thought I'd pick your brain a little in my quest to learn.

(For anyone wondering, the quote above is from this trip report;
    Small stream Brookies )

7. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's fishing. And that's people. Sounds like you gave her hell, at least!

8. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am not an expert but I like to take various lengths of line with me. I attach a loop out of 20 lbs dacron (lower left) to one end so I can quickly switch between lines with a girth hitch. I also attach a tiny tippet ring to the other end (barely visible on photo). Just personal preference.

levelline.jpg

9. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    lol, you got yellow lab'bed !!! welcome to the club , at least you weren't catching good like me ...

10. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Tenkara looks like a lot of fun man. I'm a diehard fly fisherman so I could totally see myself getting into this! :dblthumb:. Great pics of some nice looking country!

11. rk_az

rk_az Wandering Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You gave it a good go, better luck on the next trip! Great pics, thanks for sharing.

12. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I'll be back out tomorrow, grandma is confirmed. I'm going to try another local spot.

Glad I'm on the right track. If @Pastor Chris is ok with it I'll set up a "confined spaces" rig with some of the line for spots where the rod can move, but too much line is a hazard for a greenhorn.

First time getting doggo'd fly fishing. I've untangle a few mutt lines though. Furious is too gentle a word to describe my mood. Luckily the focus of casting calmed me down again.

More to come brother. You should go check out the pass around, try your hand at Tenkara!

More pictures of hidey holes and "pocket boonies" (@BalsamFur) pending, I'm going to use the paint off of this rod! :D

Thanks brother, I'll be posting more green for you this week! :)

13. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. Definitely following along.

Other than the lack of a reel, what's the biggest difference between this and regular fly fishing? Are you still casting like a fly rod or are you flipping/pitching into these pools? No offense to the die hard folks but is Tenkara basically a high end cane pole?

14. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    :D "high end cane pole". :D
    I had a similar thought while setting up yesterday, but now I think that's too easy an answer.
    I was whipping the the fly (back, forward, back, touch) to dry it out and hit my mark.
    That's real fly fishing as far as I'm concerned, considering I've never used an actual fly rod. :)
    I flipped into a few tight spots, dipped a couple spots as well, but I was mostly swinging it out and back.

15. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool! Except for the dog and it's owner. GRR!! I'm going to have to re-read this a few times to get all the tips and tricks. Subscribed!

I dig that fly tin and this gave me ideas about a new hobo reel. THANKS!~

16. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    Green is good! I am planning to head north on Sunday to put up a couple of trail cameras. I am inspired now to take along the tenkara rod, and some new San Juan worm flies that I have not tried yet, and give Clover Creek a good thrashing.

17. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    You better make a thread on that idea you're growing!

Thank you, it was a spur of the moment design to finish.

Get some! I look forward to your result!

18. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    There is no one saying you can't put a red worm on a hook on your T rod, but a San Ron Worm or San Juan Worm works just as well most times, although I think a killer bug is about the perfect fly for small streams and tenkara.

I always carry different length lines on streams, you never know what kind of conditions you will find. On that TR you referenced I used a real short line and when I was on the odd hole where I needed more reach I would just extend the rod. On a lot of the trickles I fish there is no way to use a 10 ft long rod with a 10-15 ft long line. One thing to remember though with the short line is that you need to adjust your casting accordingly, basically it's just a flick of your wrist.

The cast with a T rod isn't as exaggerated as with a western rod, basically your elbow is kept at your hip and the majority of the cast is with your wrist and a little bit of your forearm. I can put a fly into a hat sized pool across a stream with a 14 ft rod and 20 ft line pretty easily, so it's definitely not dapping or flipping. Definitely not a glorified cane pole either because cane poles don't cast, you just lob the bait out there, tenkara rods are typically graphite carbon, telescope down to 15''-20", weight about 3 oz and I've caught trout up to 23" on mine. They're not for everyone or every situation but on streams and rivers they are deadly and if you can learn to cast the longer lines they are a very viable option on lakes.

This trip was mainly lake fishing for timberline Cutt's on lakes, biggest was about 20" and fat

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/overnight-in-the-sangres.201735/

rustystove2017, dub, Quinlan and 5 others like this.
  19. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The good news is that your torpedo is probably resting in the undercut right now, ready to be caught another day!

Beautiful looking water, you'd be making Thom proud with you enthusiasm for using the kit.

As to the various lines, is makes sense, but I have found that wilt practice and familiarity, a line abut the same length as the rod, which is what you have, is hard to beat.

You can use a "bow and arrow cast" to shoot the fly into tight spots.

I have found the inconvenience of caging lines to outweigh the occasional want for a slightly shorter line.

20. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    I agree with pretty much all you said @Pastor Chris.

A couple questions:

When using a zoom rod do you use rod length line at the longest or shortest length?

What is the inconvenience in changing lines? Extra spools for extra lines, the knot being hard to release from the lillian, or just plain inconvenient to change?

21. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    I guess I was just focused more on the fly fishing aspect, there's no reason to rule out a small hook and worm eh?
    Looks like I'll have to drop a couple blanks in my fly tin.

Thank you for your insights!

My enthusiasm is equal parts outside alone / a rod that's a pleasure to use / first time fishing in more time than I care to admit!

I'll need to practice MUCH more. I think I'll try out a shorter line though, might boost my confidence and ease my worries about damaging anything.

Can you elaborate on the "bow and arrow" cast?

22. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  23. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Ultimately it's just a fishing pole. I've used worms and eggs a couple times just because but I prefer flies because there is no having to re-bait after every fish or two. Just talking about using bait will make some tenkara purists head spin though. The one fly thing is also just an interpretation of one guys view on tenkara, there are no rules, fish how you want, although I would recommend to learn with flies since that is the essence of tenkara.

24. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    DUH!!

Wowee wow, I am EXCITED to go out tomorrow!!

Thank you.

"It just a fishing pole" that's close to what flashed through my mind before when you said do it.
    Flies are where it's at with this rod, if/when I get my own I'll play around with alternate lures.

I will be abstaining from live bait with this rod for the duration of my trial. During my trip to Chittenden I will be bringing my rod along though, I plan to fish from the canoe.
    There are a few blue lines on the map up there that I am planning on "chasing" as @t.darrah has said before.

25. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Blue lines are life!!! I have several gold medal rivers to fish within an hour or so of my house and I never touch them, I'd rather chase some thin blue line somewhere and catch 6-12" fish there than 20"+ fish in the bigger, more crowded waters.

Also, have you checked out tenkarabum.com yet? Chris and his website is a wealth of information, I thought you might like this one in particular since it deals with the short line/long line conversation we had earlier in this thread.

https://www.tenkarabum.com/long-rod-short-line.html

26. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    NICE! I'll be reading that now, baby girl is fast asleep. Thanks.

27. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Good luck! It's a rabbit hole, but it so full of info that it's not funny.

28. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me its all about chasing thin blue lines (and the occasional high alpine lake), my tenkara adventures are increasingly focused on “one fly” outings.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  29. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    What is the best time of year to do that? I have dreamed about backpacking and fishing someplace like Boulder Mountain or the Wind Rivers for years. The Sangre de Cristos look pretty awesome, too.

30. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    The majority of my fishing is with one fly also, every now and then I like to get crazy and fish with two flies or bait.

I'm not familiar with Boulder or the Wind's but here in Colorado the high country fishing is best from about July 1 through mid-September, it's available before and after those times but the weather is dicey and earlier the lakes can still be frozen and you could be doing a lot of post-holing through the dark timber and north faces. I don't know how far you are from Flagstaff but that's 9 hours from my house so I bet you could be to the Sangres in 10 hours or so, even closer if you looked into the Sangres down in New Mexico although I have no knowledge of that part of the Sangres. If I can help you out with any planning or research feel free to PM me.

31. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    This is from my Topo Maps app, the pond top middle is where I started, I chased the brook south past the confluence at the "K" on the end of "Brook". There is another branch that joins by the "R" in "Brook", that is not shown. That's where I stopped and cast before turning around.

IMG_7319.PNG

The first planned thin blue line for tomorrow is another brook flowing out of the same pond that is shown above. So, it was wide open last time I saw it, but so were portions of the other that had heavy tree fall and obstruction.

Right now I'm looking for another spot to go to after that little stretch. Depending on my mood I may try Railroad Brook again, with a slightly shorter line and that "bow and arrow" technique.

32. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    That sir is a “thin blue line”! Often they are unnamed and half the adventure is in finding and following the line.

33. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    Focusing on “one fly” tenkara adventures has for me been a revelation, tenkara at its purest; a rod, a line a fly!

34. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Truth!

I used a pink sakasa kebari with rooster pheasant hackle and nothing else for a year and I learned a lot, I wouldn't want to do it again but it was worth doing. I also, when getting serious about tenkara, didn't touch any other type of fishing pole for nearly 2 years and caught just under 20 species of fish, including saltwater fish, talk about eye opening.

35. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    The sun is hiding behind a bank of clouds, a slight mist is drifting to the ground. The windows are open and the smell of damp earth fills the house.

Grandmother just walked through the door, I'm preparing for my run and then suit up to fish...

It's going to be a beautiful day.

36. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple I use as my “one fly” of choice, most often I take a “Killer Bug”, 2nd most often taken is the “Killer Kebari”!

37. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Got my morning run done and back to the shack to pack.

Loaded for bear, er, brookies and heading out!

Camelback Ambush, it's like Johnny Cash. It's been everywhere man, here to the 'ghan and back again.
    It's now my go to fishing kit pack.

IMG_7323.JPG

Back at Valley Falls, I want to try the northern brook. Overcast, rainy and miserable day, perfect.

IMG_7324.JPG

The old flume for the colonial grist mill;

IMG_7325.JPG

Since this is a greenway, it's more manicured than my lawn.

IMG_7326.JPG

Figured I'd try one of the Kabari with the rod;

IMG_7327.JPG

No luck in these locations.

IMG_7328.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG

The most action I saw on this brook was a flash under this log and a tip at the fly. A few casts later my old friends the pooches show up, so it's time to scoot for me.

I practiced my bank shot here, bouncing the fly off of the log to drop right under it. I would store that trick away for later.

IMG_7330.JPG

Choked up on the rod, hitting intended targets pretty well;

IMG_7331.JPG

The dogs returned so I decided to beat feet.

38. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    A picture of the competition, I was right on top of him and he was cool as a cucumber.

IMG_7333.JPG

He was confident in my ability to not catch anything, he hung around while I practiced;

IMG_7335.JPG

Time for a change of scenery, and tactics. I had a feeling I'd be more confident with a shorter line in the heavy growth of Railroad Brook, so I stopped at the first gravel bar to have a drink and un-zip and re-zip my fly situation. I went with a different fly (another kabari) and a shorter overall line. Fully extended, the fly just touched the butt end of the rod, with a three foot tippet. I liked that length a LOT.
    IMG_7338.JPG

I forgot to bring something to wrap my new length on, so I improvised with one of my old business cards;

IMG_7341.JPG

Remember the bank shot? Here it is again.

IMG_7342.JPG

And money. First trout on tenkara, take it off and keep casting. It's tiny but it's a fish, that's a W after last outing.

IMG_7343.JPG

That log was very interesting, I had to take a video after releasing the minnow;

39. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Well, let's mosey on up that stream shall we?

IMG_7345.JPG

With a very steep bank on my side and no inclination to jump in feet first, this little onramp was a welcome sight. We walk wet for a while;

IMG_7346.JPG

A bump, but they were spooky here;

IMG_7348.JPG

And here;

IMG_7344.JPG

Awww yeaaahhh, remember this spot? Not a dog in sight!

IMG_7350.JPG

Okey dokey, here's a quick clip I recorded because I needed to show you guys this spot;

And then tha cast;

IMG_7347.JPG

Funny, that torpedo isn't as big as I remembered... :( oh well, I'm fishing now!

But it was time to head back and I fished downstream on my way out, despite prevailing wisdom of the interwebs. I wanted to fish man!

Then there's this sound, it sounds like a fish on! Splish, shloop...
    I saw a disturbance in the current, and a dark being causing it!

So I flip, I dip, and I drift...

IMG_7354.JPG IMG_7355.JPG

Almost looks like a full sized fish!
    A native brook trout, and he fought like a fish twice his size.

When I recollected my surroundings and stepped down off of that cloud, I realized where I was.

See those size 13 prints and knee divot of a crazed eyed trout junkie?

IMG_7356.JPG

That's the exact spot where I decided to change my tactics on the way in. The precise location I cut a shorter line, tied on a new fly and stood up ready to bring hate and discontent to anything that barred my way to the fish.

And that was the end of the brook but for twenty yards of prickles and wide sandy stretch.

Situational awareness back on point, ears open to my surroundings picked up my prey and my hands guided the rod to fruition.
    That done, I collapsed the rod, stowed it away and hoofed out.

Thank you @t.darrah for this, and thank you @Pastor Chris for becoming the keeper.

I am not done, there are more fish between me and middle June.

40. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    As an aside; my only goal today was to put the fly on the water in as many places as possible.
    In any way probable.
    I drifted, I dabbed, I tossed and twitched. I properly cast and I bank shotted, I floated that fly any and every way I could.
    And I'd do it all again.

This is some good fishing.

41. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome that you caught some fish! That pink kebari was my was the one color I used for a year, it's a great color.

That last brookie is a beautiful fish! Keep it up!

42. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, you're to blame for some of my shift in mindset!
    "It's just a fishing pole"

I went from thinking "I need to do this like that or that like this" to putting the fly where it needed to be. I enjoyed the experience more for it.
    I like this rod, I need one. But that's a long way off, I'm not funded like I would like.

So, for the time being I will play with this one and get as many submissions on this thread as I can, and at the end I will send it down the line to @MT_Fin.

43. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    I thought the same when I first started using tenkara, it was frustrating and I almost quit but then someone told me pretty much the same thing and I realized "its just a fishing pole, just fish" and eight years later here I am, still learning, still enjoying, still exploring.

Enjoy the experience!

44. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ah ha! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! You scored and learned and you have just became a trout junkie....now your descent into madness begins!

^^^...keep doing this for awhile and it will teach you how to "read" the water. You'll find out that some types of water contain fish some do not. With enough practice you'll know what water you can skip and what water is worth your effort. On tiny creeks like that it's easier to see"fishy" water, but as you progress to bigger and bigger creeks and rivers they become more tricky to read. When you do learn to read the water you'll start tying into a lot more fish. You can also cover more ground by skipping the low percentage spots and this lets you go further along a creek so you can discover new eddies, riffles, holes and undercuts. For me reding water is key. Learn how fish use and hide in the current or lack there of and you'll catch more fish.

On the rivers I fish I skip to all the good places and then I read that water at them and break that specific area down where I want to run a lure in each spot. Another thing you should keep in mind is this... It's tempting to try and cast to the furthest good looking place first (because we all like that long cast!) I know you can't really "cast" super far with a Tenka rig like I can with a spinning reel, but bear with me here. My point is this, if you cast far to that good spot first and you hook a fish that's great, but you are now going to pull that fish that's darting and fighting through other spots that might also hold fish that are now spooked. So fish the closer spots first and then cast to the further spots later and you might be able to pull a couple fish from one spot with out even moving your feet.

I know that above stuff may not make much sense I don't want to make it sound complicated, because it's not...but you'll know when it clicks.

Great job, man! You did good!! That last fish was a beaut!!!!!

45. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    I came to Tenkara with zero fishing background, of any kind, one outing and I knew it was for me!

46. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    Nice work! Glad to see some fish in hand.

47. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can't tell what's better: That @CivilizationDropout hooked some fish, or that @t.darrah hooked CivilizationDropout on Tenkara?

48. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Amazing thread, thank you! With writing like this:
    This thread is way much more fun than a good comedy, so thank you @CivilizationDropout for your writing as well as the images and the videos. :35:

:33:
    Water whisperer?
    :D

Regards,

Christos

49. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah bud!

At some point yesterday I had a classic case of split personality. I was trying to loft the fly with a certain move and I was NOT.
    This other voice pops in and says;"Oh so you're $&@#% fancy huh? You're not here to look pretty, just fish man."

I'd like to think it was a combined voice of reason from the group here :D

Trout have always been my favorite, now having a new way to pull them in is going to be fun!

I totally agree with you on reading the water, reading the creeks seems intuitive. I've fished rivers, winding lakes, small ponds and saltwater shoreline (not beaches or piers). Approaching these now, along with little "blue lines", years later with a different tool will be interesting. I know I've forgotten things, but I like learning, so I hope I forgot goldilocks. Not too much, not too little.

Lures are a new area for me as well, I've dabbled here and there but the majority of fish I've taken have been on live bait.

Here's to a new era of angling for me!
    Thanks for your insight, it will be heeded.

Having a youth of fishing fever behind me and years since I've wet a line, I had an excitement start the first day with the rod. The second day and success has me shopping online.
    Thank you again and again for the opportunity to try a new "angle".

You and me both! ;)
    Thanks brother!

It certainly opened new ground to me, places I would have never attempted with a traditional rod or even if I had started with a western fly rod!

Hook, Tippet and lillian.

Well, I would want wordplay to accompany any adventure that I took. What I experience out there is better illustrated with literary devices than pictures alone.
    As for the happenstances and little events that unfold to help or hinder my enjoyment, I must inject the humor of hindsight into them.

To convey my mindset, preoccupation and reaction into the event with the loose dog, I like to think it's more enjoyable than a brief "a dog scared the fish". I'm glad you enjoy my babbling!

50. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    While I think it may have been more appropriate to celebrate a Japanese fishing experience with a glass of Hibiki or Suntory, I broke the foil and indulged in a glass of Talisker 10 last night, as a celebration of my first fish caught on a real fly rod.
    What goes together better than scotch and fly fishing?

IMG_7361.JPG