Clay oven

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by John Foskey Jr, Oct 11, 2018.

1. John Foskey Jr

John Foskey Jr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    03D35584-91E8-4B48-9ABF-B80D4CB142C6.jpeg 1498DD10-7F2D-4B02-B645-C1EDE89D2CD0.jpeg hey everyone, wanted to post a pic of my clay oven I built a few years ago. Love cooking in it and everyone always says food tastes better in it. If you have leftover clay from a paving project, repurpose it.

Attached Files:

2. twotreesjoe

twotreesjoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love that oven! I've always wanted to build one, just haven't gotten' to it...…. yet...…...

3. Josh-Samsquanch

Josh-Samsquanch Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  4. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. I see you have a roof over it. That's a good idea, since the main threat to the long life of your oven is rain and snow. Around here we call that an "horno", and they are made of adobe mud, which is clay and some sand. We built one about 10 yrs ago and it's still going strong. We make pizza, bread, pies, and even the Thanksgiving turkey in ours.

upload_2018-10-11_8-11-23.jpeg

5. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What time is supper?

;)

6. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been planing a build for quite some time. I have no clay though so i was going to make it out of a masonry mix and pearlite. I also need to learn the difference between ovens with a chimney and ovens without. I was leaning towards with but don’t know if it’s really necessary.

7. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    One thing to consider when building a wood-fired oven is what's going to happen to the material when you expose it to the wide temperature extremes (cold winter nights and then building a fire in it). Mud and clay have been used for centuries and if you can keep the moisture off of them they last a long time. Mortar, perlite, ordinary bricks, etc, I don't know about. There is a reason they make firebricks for woodstoves, fireplaces, etc. There is a lot of info on youtube and elsewhere about this. We were inspired to do ours by this article:

https://www.sunset.com/garden/how-to-sunset-classic-adobe-oven

I consulted this book when I built ours:

https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-O...d=1539269033&sr=1-18&keywords=wood+fired+oven

8. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    the wife has been wanting me to make one of these eventually-i'll definitely be watching this thread for future reference.

9. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks good young fellar, I like it. joe

John Foskey Jr and NevadaBlue like this.
  10. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    Woo Hoo

(how many bushcrafters can you fit in the backyard? We can be persuaded to bring piggy things, sharp things, fermented things, you know, things that good times are made from)

11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Me too. I just snooped Home Depot’s site. They have:

- fire clay
    - used fired clay bricks suitable for ‘fireplaces’
    - sand
    - sand/cement mix
    - cement board (considering this as an underlay for the floor of the oven

Among the many how-to videos for ovens on youtube, Townsend’s has several. Here is one. (It is bushcrafty... )

12. John Foskey Jr

John Foskey Jr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tom a bunch of bishcrafters just not enough room for tents .. still could be fun though
    that is what I used . Really happy I did it .

NevadaBlue likes this.
  13. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the links. I totally want to soak in as much as I can before jumping in. The method I have described I have read a lot about. There is potential for some cracking but it’s still functional and repairable if it happens. The biggest factor for me is the lack is access to clay. The longevity is less of a concern. I actually may build it someplace it needs to be removable so a big permanent structure isn’t even ideal. Anyhow, time to study more!!

NevadaBlue likes this.
  14. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it's a big commitment. It's going to be a fairly big job, and the result is going to last a long time.
    Some design criteria for mine were that it had to take two 16" pizza pans, the door had to be wide enough for the pizzas, and it should be high enough to allow a turkey roasting pan or a stew pot to be slid in thru. I'll burn about a 5 gal bucket of firewood in it to bring in up to pizza baking temp (about 550-600 deg F). The pizzas cook fast, but after about 30 min the oven temp is down to about 450-500, and other things can start going into the oven. It will slowly drift down to 250-300 over several hours, depending on the ambient temp. Using an outdoor woodfired oven is nothing like using a modern kitchen oven. Nothing is under your control. Sure, you make the fire, keep it fed, get all the heat you can out of your wood, and measure the temp if you can (different subject), and bake with what you have. The temp may be this or it may be that. There's no buttons to push to set the temperature. And it's going to decay down in temp from hot to cooler over a totally uncontrollable way. The colder it is outside, the faster the oven is going to cool. And there's nothing you can do about it, unless you put some more fire into the oven while you're cooking. That's messy. So you just learn to judge cooking times, and take quick looks to see how things are doing. It seems to be pretty forgiving. When it looks good, it's probably going to be good.

The 1st pizza we ever made.

upload_2018-10-11_18-42-33.jpeg

NevadaBlue likes this.
  15. John Foskey Jr

John Foskey Jr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Once your girl cleans her roof she is ready to cook . So cool . I love the fact it is made by my hands . When all is said and done a bean pot goes in for overnight low cook for lunch the next day

NevadaBlue likes this.
  16. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Townsends on youtube has a small one that is even portable, in this case, means you could remove it easily.