Cleaning out old preps.....MRE's

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by hunter63, Dec 7, 2017.

1. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Making room and checking stashed food....namely MRE's.....
    That were left over from Desert Storm days...1990-91

Bought them from Sportsman Guide and were back ordered because of DS.....
    Appear to be civilian versions...as there is't much to them...
    So heads up if you buy form them.,...don't know how they compare to Milsup

An entree and a side, energy bar and crackers....condiment pack ...that's it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm breaking them down and salvaging the salt, pepper, sugar, coffee, cider, spoon, ready wipes, matches and spoon.
    Think those will be OK.

Health bar, crackers and grape jelly are getting tossed...

Seems the SHTF hasn't happened yet..so the stuff is old.....and don't want to sniff it.

2. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    What, no Charms?!

3. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've thrown out my MREs from Y2K.

4. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    LOL...No charms......white things in cellophane are instant towels...
    I repacked condiments for bags and kits....

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  5. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if you haven't seen this guy- Steve1989MREInfo youtube channel- it is pretty interesting.

6. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Storage temperature is the only thing that matters when you are considering an older MRE.
    At 75 degrees, you should be good to go for around 15 years or more.

rustystove2017 and NWPrimate like this.
  7. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The problem with MREs is not that they go bad but that they loose their food value. Celery is the perfect example of a food that is safe to eat but has no caloric value. It just passes thru and your body starves.

Instead of MREs which are expensive and hard to get consider a moderately high carbohydrate that is easy to get, will sustain you, you will eat and rotate thru so you won’t have to throw them out. Steel cut oats, granola bars and add some jerky dried fruit and canned goods. A couple cases of canned beans and dried rice will see you thru better than MREs.

will62, Paulyseggs, darodalaf and 4 others like this.
  8. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    @hunter63 Desert Storm (U.S) Operation Granby (U.K) 1990 - 1991 Yeah I still have my Gucci gear plastic 'race spoon' (100% squaddie proof) from the U.S MRE pack aka 'the SPAM rat pack' goes everywhere with me. These were much better than the surplus Her Majesty's Prison Shepton Mallet Somerset England that were included in the British C-Ration packs, originally prison issue, to stop prisoners causing injury to themselves Oops.. did I just say that out loud? :8: tee hee.. (joking). BTW Shepton Mallet was very similar to 'Marston-Tyne Military Prison', where Major Reisman (Lee Marvin) chooses his recruits for the Dirty Dozen (1967) movie. :)
    26 years later & it's still with me. :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

Skotelawe, MrFixIt, Mikewood and 2 others like this.
  9. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have reservations about true military MREs. They don't go through normal surplus channels--they're supposed to be destroyed of at the end of their life cycle. The cases have a temperature-sensitive strip that tells if they've been stored too long in excessive heat. The major manufacturers won't sell proper mil-spec MREs on the civilian market, so any mil-spec MRE you're getting has gone through "unofficial" channels. You have no way to know if those MREs sat on a pallet in the sun in Kuwait for six months.

A few years back Ebay got in a jam with the Dept. of Defense because so many soldiers were selling MREs to supplement their lower-than-minimum-wage compensation. Ebay tries to clamp down on the MRE market now.

The civilian MREs are mostly a disappointment, though. They usually don't use proper MRE spoons, and almost all of them have lower caloric content than the mil-spec versions. Most of them have less variety in their sides and accessories. A few guys have worked with MRE manufacturers to come up with limited run custom MREs, and some of those are pretty good.

There is a site called MRE Info that is a great reference: http://www.mreinfo.com/

There's now something called a First Strike Ration that is a 24-hour ration without all the knick-knacks and doodads from a regular MRE. One FSR weighs the same as three MREs. Food for thought.

10. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    I went to look up the Quote> "my Gucci gear plastic 'race spoon' (100% squaddie proof) from the U.S MRE <Quote
    Not sure what that is....but did find a site with MRE for different countries.....
    BTW when I Google that...brought me back to this thread....LOL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Can-guess-armys-nationality-ration-pack.html

Skotelawe and DavidJAFO like this.
  11. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sad... I suppose I should toss my early 90's MREs when I find them. In storage, several cases... sad.

Oh, if you want to play, the plastic bag on the original ones is quite a thing. I always saved the bag, after carefully cutting the top off. Then, we would re-seal them with things we liked inside.

blind & lost and NWPrimate like this.
  12. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    My apologies @hunter63 Gucci gear = non issue kit bought or traded, very good or of the best quality. Squaddie proof = unbreakable (ahem) the 100% I'm being facetious. :D Spoons aka Scran spanners. Scran = a term used for food which originates from the British Royal Navy. The race spoon was named so, as it allows the user to eat as though in a race. Browsing the present Compo-Rations link, boiled sweets in separate wraps Geeze.. :eek: we used to have these issued in a tin, which weighed a good half pound of boiled fruit flavoured sweets. BTW original race spoons made of wood, these were brought back from use on tours of duty British Army Jungle Warfare Training School, made by the locals in exchange for whatever was available for trade or local currency. This is way before the present Bushcraft spoon carving phenomenon (doo doo de doo dooh) :) LOL.
    Regards
    David

13. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Ahhhh...That clears it up...
    Must be from.... juresey?

MrFixIt and DavidJAFO like this.
  14. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Jersey is a Scots word for a Jumper pullover. :D LOL
    Regards
    David

15. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    There are a lot of variations on the "Meals ready to eat.'
    The packages that I am processing out were being sold as a "Civilian Version MRE"....sold by Sportsman Guild as such.

Along the way I have come across other offerings....
    These pre-packaged meals were being sold at our surplus store...for $1 dollar each.
    Says on the package they were to be given out at various events...or emergency situations...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stuff was OK...but tasted "Old"...so I passed on buying more.....and passed on the breakfast versions.....as well.

gohammergo, DavidJAFO and NevadaBlue like this.
  16. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I bought XMREs a while back (another civilian brand), and I was pretty happy with them. My kids didn't love them when we did the taste test, but they'll eat 'em if they're hungry. We also sold entrees from MREStar for a while. Between the two, I think I liked XMRE better than MREStar, but only slightly. MREStar has (or had) production facilities here in NC. As an NC company, that carries a lot of weight with me.

A few years ago I tried to find a company making LRP rations, or that would make them for us, but no dice on that.

I think it may be possible for the manufacturers to sell govt. spec humanitarian rations on the civilian market, even though they are prohibited from selling mil-spec MREs. It looks like Sun Meadow doesn't do retort packaged food, but is a major supplier of non-retort food to the govt. Here's their current humanitarian food page: http://www.sunmeadow.com/what-we-offer/emergency-services/

MRE Star was a supplier of humanitarian rations when we talked with them in the past, but it looks like they're not in that line of business right now.

17. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Does Mountain House still produce their LRRP rations? If I remember they had the MRE-brown color packaging but was just a high calorie, "add water" ration. Couldn't have been a legit MRE though, it didn't even tell you to put it "on a rock or something"

gohammergo and DavidJAFO like this.
  18. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure everyone is aware there are several "make your own MREs" options online.
    Long plastic spoons can be gotten from dairy Queen (ice cream sunday spoons) and metal ones are good if you don't need disposables

DavidJAFO and hunter63 like this.
  19. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They still sell them! You can get them direct from their website. I have a box of the brown, LRP ones packed for the military a few years back. But I have some of the new ones on the way, I'm eager to compare them to the older ones.

20. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That is the craziest thing! I called Mountain House in 2014, and worked my way through the phone chain. No one there had any knowledge of LRRP or MCW rations, or any idea that they used to make them. And that was a wholesale inquiry, not just someone poking around for some leftovers. A few years later, they're back in the business. Now I have to call them again.:):42:

ETA: I ordered three of the rations to try out: Beef Stew, Beef Stroganoff, and Breakfast Skillet. I also called them about wholesale on the MCWs. Will see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  21. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Also, I know a company that will sell you proper mil-spec American-made MRE spoons in packs of 12 or 24.

22. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Scout

Blog Posts:

gohammergo and DavidJAFO like this.
  23. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    He's talking about the longer brown MRE spoon that was introduced with the 2nd Gen (first menus that dropped the dehydrated beef/pork patties) MREs. The first MREs had a shorter white spoon.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  24. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I recently went thru my truck's bad and had so Hormel "BeComplets" meals from 2015. I realize the contents are vacuum packed, but a few of the ones in my bag were sucking the covers in. Though to myself, it's time for them to go. Now, bag only contains MH meals, some Rahman noodles, and a few Pink salmon and tuna packets.

25. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I remember a military meal that came in OD green cans being handed to me. My reputation as a finicky eater goes back a very long time; and I would not even read the side of the can let along consider opening and eating this stuff. I donated it to the Jarheads I was in the company of that day and kept a tin of what was nominally considered crackers and pineapple jelly. It was a small rectangular tin with a key on the bottom that you would use to peel a strip of foil from around the two halves of the tin. Well when I did the crackers were a tan dust that literally blew away in the breeze and the jelly was the color and consistency of used axel grease. Uncle Sam’s children were chowing down on the stuff like it was heaven sent…I thought sure they'd all be in the infirmary or morgue by nightfall.

26. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had some from that era we used for camping, all still good except granola bars smelled moldy. I fed 'em to my kids... their still here...

gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.
  27. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    One thing i do is that any thing i find not eatable goes in the mulch nothing is wasted .

gohammergo and blind & lost like this.
  28. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    During Desert Storm we traded a case of MREs to some Brits for several cans that contained stacked hamburger patties. They were amazing when compared to the dried beef patties.

Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards.

blind & lost likes this.
  29. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Steve has some interesting videos to say the least. And for all those people with old rations, send them to Steve. He will do a video review on them. Even if they are old/out of date. I believe his shipping address is in every video he posts.

Jon.

30. Simplejack

Simplejack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gross, those and jamacin pork chop

31. teotwaki

teotwaki Scout

Blog Posts:

Yes, they are almost 7" long, made of high impact polystyrene and very nicely molded with no sharp edges on the handle. When I can save them I wash them and use them over as much as possible.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  32. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Every time I watch one of his videos, I'm amazed that this dude has found such a specific weird niche of viewer and, apparently, I'm in that niche.

33. chickasaw_hunter

chickasaw_hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    WW1, I too remember those OD green canned rations, the ones I had the pleasure to consume were Korean war surplus. One in particular was especially distasteful, Lima Beans & Ham. I had a buddy who was a jarhead in VN and he told me he was very popular because he loved them and would always trade for them. He was my hero after that, I knew I had someone who I could pawn that awful stuff off on.
    Those old C-rats or K-rats in the cans also came with a 4 pack of cigarettes, if you didn't smoke you had some advantages in making trades for different menu items. I didn't smoke so I could usually pawn off my Lima beans & ham.

blind & lost likes this.
  34. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    There was a time when deployed you'd see lots of Marines with one of those spoons tucked into the loops on the front of their flak jacket....just in case. Similar to the stereotype of the Vietnam soldier with a pack of cigarettes in their helmet band.

35. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can eat just about anything .

I will lick a line of ants off a log or suck the eyes out of a cooked skull.

I cannot eat MREs. I ate ONE . All I remember was this cake that left a metallic taste in my mouth for hours . My insides were wrecked for a week . It was like I made a quickcrete milkshake.

How the world's greatest MIL came up with these is a answer I'll never know.

Eta . I do like the spoons and condiment packets. And I keep a few packages of the raisins in my pack for ER sugar needs (diabetic)

gohammergo likes this.
  36. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    While serving in the army I remember opening cans of spaghetti or whatever that were so old that when you knocked it out of the can the ingredients had separated in to layers and looked like a core sample from a bog. Some of the stuff was pretty good like the "John Wayne bars" which were some kind of hard chocolate wafer. Other stuff not so much, like this canned pork hockey puck thing. We ate it cold from the can too. Everyone should have gotten a medal just for eating the food. Each box came with a can opener, one of which I put on my key ring about 40 years ago and it's still on my ring today. I guess I got a medal after all. :)

37. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "Let's get this out on a tray."

caoutdoorsman likes this.
  38. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Plain commercially canned food lasts for quite a while and can be integrated into normal meals to keep the supply fresh.

39. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’m not a fan of MRE’s -- but if I was to buy them I’d treat them just like any food not just emergency food. Make a list of the expiration dates and a good while before they are at the end of their life span I’d consume them and replace them with fresh ones. You paid for them and might as well plan them into your weekly food budget as their time come due rather than saving them years past their expiration time and throwing them out unused. If the world gets into a mess finding a doctor might not be easy, so that would be the worst time to risk getting sick on out of date food.

That said I have some Tootsie Rolls left over that are hard enough to be chopped up and used in my BP Shotgun as buck shot.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    gohammergo likes this.
  40. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Common sense plays a big part in this. Many years ago my ex sister was in the national guard. She gave me a half dozen MREs to keep around for whatever. I covered those and carried them around in my vehicles for years. Never had an emergency to use them. :) Then one day we were sitting around and I had just recently dug these out again. We opened them up and they were disgusting! :) Very little in any of them was edible.

I buy a couple of cases now and then and keep a few in the van with me so I always have something decent to eat if needed. I have found the newer MRE meals to be pretty good actually. I always have granola type bars and canned food with me during the summer too though.

werewolf won likes this.
  41. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've seen that guy eat a 1940's scho ka kola chocolate. It looked fine. A little chalky.

You don't like the cakes? I'm not a cake guy. I'll eat a 40oz steak with nothing but beer as my side dish and dessert but, I like the MRE lemon poppy seed cake and the vanilla pound cake. I may need to throw mine out unfortunately. I have had many MRE's and I enjoyed most of them and without problems. I always traded my cheese spread with someone for the peanut spread. I liked the grape drink powder. I would not eat a vegetarian entree as those were the worse and I disliked the breakfast options but they were tolerable.