Cleaning up an old axe head

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by ChignectoBushman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ChignectoBushman

ChignectoBushman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Recently purchased an old Blenkhorn's axe head. I noticed some rust around the eye so I thought I would take off the handle and clean it up as much as possible. There were also some scuffs from grinding that I want to clean off.

I decided to use vinegar to clean it, and this is after a day:
    [​IMG]

It needs another day in the vinegar, I think, as there is still rust in the eye. And I wasn't really expecting this sort of colour. Any thoughts on what else I should do to clean it up?

2. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not an expert by any means, but I've used some four ought steel wool and regular old 30 wt oil. For a user, that should do the trick.

3. PoPo

PoPo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sandpaper cleans them up pretty good.

4. jonathan creason

jonathan creason Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just cleaned one up yesterday with a wire cup on an angle grinder. Made short work of the rust while preserving that nice, rich patina.

5. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I typically use an angle grinder as well, though I've had better luck with a brass wire wheel on it. I used to use a cup brush attachment on my cordless drill before I invested in a grinder. One thing I've noticed is the vinegar makes the steel rust super quick after the bath. Do get some oil on her quick!

6. SC T100

SC T100 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is definitely true. In fact, I've had them rust in my hand after getting down to cleaner metal *while* I'm holding the head and sharpening it using a stone and water. Definitely get something (wax, oil, etc) on there quickly once the surface has been redone.

7. ChignectoBushman

ChignectoBushman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    At this point it seems the worst of the rust is beginning to fall off. I guess that's a day and a half or so. Anyone think it's a good idea to paint inside the eye? Or just oil it?

I'll have to look into a wire cup brush, mainly I have used fine/extra-fine steel wool and oil to keep my axes clean, but my first axes were from Gransfors so they are pretty easy maintenance wise.

I figure tonight or tomorrow morning as much as the rust as possible will be off. I'll dry it and clean off the rest off the rust and oil it right away. And then I need to find a tree to make my own handle.