climage change, gardening and other parts of life

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by lopie, Jan 18, 2019.

1. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, but I cannot tolerate proliferation of junk science.

There is no such thing as “climate change” ... as we have been misled to believe the in the past 20 years.

The only changes have been due to deforestation, increased concrete/pavement, and natural warming of the earth over it’s 10,000 to 15,000 year total life span.
    The same NATURAL gradual warming that melted glaciers from where we now live.

Nothing I/we can do will either stop or slow the natural warming of our planet. And the enviro-whackos can’t prove me wrong.

blind & lost and lopie like this.
  2. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    And there is no difference between natural rate and the unnaturally speedy rate due to the immesurable amounts of crap in the athmosphere?

Natural gradual warming would have been quite a bit slower than this current unnatural rate.
    Also not natural is skin cancer on animals, like the common cause of death. Common enough to danger entire species.
    But surely that is indifferent, like you needed frogs for anything or foodchains in general. It's man alone that matter, since were super human.

3. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LOL

It’ll be alright.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. Swineflu

Swineflu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The better science is definitely on the side of human impact on climate, that is undeniable. You will always find a shill that says otherwise and you will always find a bad guy on the good side, but it is definitely not the "junky scientists" saying humans impact climate. Does climate change without humans? Yes. Are humans impacting the rate and type of climate change we are experiencing? Also yes. I'm gonna side with NASA, you know an organization of some of the smartest scientists in the world that can do things like drive robots on other planets. Of course you could think all that is fake and taking place on a set in Hollywood.

Climate change is also a threat to security, economy and the global power structure. I'm gonna side with the Pentagon on this one, some of the best, probably the best, informed people on the planet when it comes to the risks and security of our nation.

Will "we" be alright? I think yes. I see humans persevering in one way or another. Kids reading history books one day may read about the next "revolution" like we read about the "industrial revolution." I'm sure there were a lot of folks running around back in the old days thinking all these factories and industry weren't going to change our way of life like it did but it did and we are still here.

Will "you" be alright, maybe. Depending on your age and where you live your local economy/job could gradually get devastated. Hopefully you are making adjustments as things change, it's not like you are going to wake up tomorrow and the ocean is outside your door. If you don't adapt job could become obsolete, your property values could go in the shitter etc. These things can happen without climate change so you really might not even feel the effects as directly.

Will "your children" be alright? I think that is the book we are writing now (if it isn't too late, which might be more debatable). We can plunder our planet and our children's future while we bury our heads in the sand and ignore the science and the knowledge we've gained under the fantasy that we are "keeping things the way they always were" or we can do something else.

I do agree with folks that think building a greenhouse in your backyard as a way to protect yourself from climate change is a fool's errand and not the best use of your time and resources. If you are doing it for other reasons, like you want to or you want to grow your own food anyways, then I think it is super cool.

5. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of course, those "smartest scientists" did have this incident occur...
    http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288
    ;)

lopie likes this.
  6. Swineflu

Swineflu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Akela and blind & lost like this.
  7. Punisher

Punisher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm no expert i just play one on tv but the biggest threat i see is the continued extinction of honey bees. without them and butterflies etc there are no crops on a mass scale. local guys can go out with a q tip and pollenate but the big conglomerate farms that have killed off small farms will fail. with that comes famine/conflict mass migration etc. something to pay attention to as the actual experts work to identify why bees are dying out. i plan to add bee-keeping to my prep but i can q tip pollinate my garden and fruit trees if needed.

8. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some good points made for sure, thanks. Also appreciate folks denying science using devices created by science.

9. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    I always get a good chuckle out of this... like many areas, we've been getting some snow (no surprise, it's winter after all), and I have to laugh when the weather forecasters come out and say that "Our eight different weather prediction computer models don't agree" , so they then have to continually hedge their forecasts for the next couple upcoming days weather outlook.
    If their latest and greatest eight different "scientific" weather prediction computer models can't provide a reliable predictable local area SWAG two days from today, just how much "scientific" SWAG is contained in all the global climate predictions made 10 years out, 25 years out, 50 years out, 100 years out, etc? :33:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    lopie and ezra45 like this.
  10. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Blame almonds and pesticides used in tree care. So every year a huge percentage of the honey bees are shipped to Cali to pollinate these endless acres of almond trees. Because they have literally nothing else growing but almonds for as far as the eye can see there is nothing for bees to eat so there are no native pollinators. These trees are treated for pests. Every year after these bees come back from cali the hive populations nose dive. In Canada, a lawn care service treated this companies trees (lindens) in their parking lot... literally thousands of dead bees littered the parking lot.

Punisher, lopie and Brook Trout like this.
  11. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    The weather formulas all use different data sets to calculate weather. This is why they never agree. Certain models are more accurate for certain things and certain conditions. They are working for a singular model for the US but a good working one is probably pretty far off still. Weather gets, complicated. It's mostly about probability and when you have larger swings in weather (more extremes more often) it begins to really mess with the weather models. Climate change is done using extrapolation of trends over time as opposed to trying to figure out at X speed with X barometric pressure with a low 30 miles away but the possibility of a wind change will the storm hit X town 3 days from now and how much rain will fall. So it's more like, oh hey look at how many more 90+ degree weather days and x number of days between rain and the rain events are dumping X much more water at a time and is trending upwards for the last 20 years. If said trend continues this will be what things will look like. So much more farmers almanacish than a weather forecast.

12. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    We all know that weather information is highly perishable due to continually changing conditions, and must be actively updated to be of use in real time.
    How will a farmers almanacish approach work out for Aviation Weather, Tactical Operations Center (TOC) efforts during active missions, and Emergency Management mitigation?

lopie likes this.
  13. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't, that is just how climate change is done. This is what has been happening, this is what we think will happen. This is worst case scenario and a time line even though we don't know every variable in how the system works. Farmers almanac. Basically just predictions of what we think will happen, could be worse, could be better, hey we will find out when we get there just how bad it ends up, right?

14. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    For some reason, it reminds me of this...
    1905 January 21, Seattle Daily Times, Page 6, Column 1, Seattle, Washington:
    An expert says that the difference between weather and climate is this: “Climate is the showing we fix up for public inspection; weather is what we get.”
    ;)

Vanitas and lopie like this.
  15. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Very close yes, what is expected over a period of time vs what we get daily

16. Punisher

Punisher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    well i for one will never stop eating cows that fart.

Akela and Vanitas like this.
  17. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m not a global warming guy, but Fukushima nuclear meltdown is still at zero percent containment.

8 years later and it’s still boiling the ocean.

But let’s talk about cow farts!

Akela, LostViking and Vanitas like this.
  18. KFF

KFF Guide

Blog Posts:
    There is a big picture and a small picture.
    Like your kid maybe smart, but the global population is getting dumber by the generation.
    The same goes for climate change.

19. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My opinion follows, and this is based on personal experience:

We are in trouble. Things are not good in the world as far as planet health. The world has always been, and always will be in a state of change. That has never been disputed. The rate of change in recent history though, is undeniable. I have spoke of this before here. Things are vastly different, at least here, than they were 30 ish years ago. Some examples:

When I was in school, back in the 70's, if we got a rainstorm with a 1/2" or 3/4" of rain, it made the news here. Now, we have rains of 4-5" or more, and no one even mentions it because it is so common. We have roads washing out that have never washed out before. We have weather extremes that have been unheard of. Several years back we had a record low temp of somewhere around -40 one day. The next day we had a record high of over +40. An 80* temp swing from one day to another!:eek: About 3-4 years ago, we went from summer to winter in one day. I was out raking the yard on a Sunday in a t-shirt and was almost uncomfortable warm. The next day we were going to put a basement in. It snowed over 36" that day. We had heavy equipment stuck in the snow, and the crane actually had to tie itself off to trees with it's cable and winch itself around to move. By the end of the week we had over 4' of snow on the ground. Then we had a week of subzero weather, then a week of very warm weather and rain. Crazy stuff.

My wife is a gardener. She knows her plants. We have fall flowers that are blooming in the spring, and spring flowers that don't bloom until fall. Not straight across the board, but enough that we are noticing it.

Another thing we are noticing that troubles us the most is an alarming decline in the amount of fresh produce available in the stores here. Not sure if "fresh" is applicable at this time of the year, :) but you get my point. When you go shopping and there is only a half dozen or so tomatoes left there and the produce manager says that they don't get all of the orders that they place for produce because the suppliers are limiting things because the supply is so low. And this has been going on for a couple of years now here. And it is getting worse. and if this is any indication of how things are heading, we are in trouble.:33:

This spring, instead of leaving our lives in the hands of other, we are going to take big steps to put our food situation in our hands. For us, it is foolish not to. We have the land to grow our food, the equipment, and the knowledge. It has honestly been pretty much a mixture of laziness and bad weather that has stymied it for us. When you take the time and effort to get a garden going and then get hit with a surprise frost in July that kills everything, it kind of dampens the enthusiasm. :) So, we are taking action and building some grow houses, and such. I think we can grow pretty much everything we will need to get by as far as consumable vegetables go. At least, that is my goal.

This is a very interesting subject for sure. :)

Toytech, Dogrobber, Akela and 3 others like this.
  20. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    @gohammergo

great post. The kind of post I was hoping for. You identified problems and are looking for solutions. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

gohammergo likes this.
  21. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking that whale farts are a lot bigger than cow farts, and even rhino and elephant farts... what's Greenpeace gonna do about all the whale farts? ;)

22. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    We’re joking about it but there are a lot of people who believe this green deal stuff, the under 35 generation!

Us older people aren’t allowed to die until a new wave of hard working appreciative kids come up to balance things out!

23. Black5

Black5 Scout

Blog Posts:
  24. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish!

gohammergo and Black5 like this.