Coffee Making W/O Power

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by RackinRay, Oct 14, 2018.

1. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On a trip to visit our son a few months ago, he was using a simple coffee press that interested me as it was really light weight and simple. I bought one and then thought that with a light weight manual grinder I would have a great no power coffee making kit, that is better to me than a french press. The coffee press is the AeroPress. I coupled it with a cheap grinder with good reviews, and got a spare grinding burr in the deal. I love the simplicity and coffee quality this produces. Links below, and I am NOT a commercial interest; just sharing what I found works well for me.

AeroPress:
    https://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Co...&keywords=aeropress&psc=1&smid=A302OQK4GZWXCC

Coffee Grinder:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8LP41...&pd_rd_r=c4f4c6a9-cfbb-11e8-9fea-e722222b4194

Now, looking the links up for reference here I found another piece of kit that I think will make it better!
    Mesh filter:
    https://www.amazon.com/Altura-Mesh-...9526436&sr=1-4-spons&keywords=aeropress&psc=1

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ha, I have hundreds of the paper filters, enough for years..... But I like the metal one as a great idea.
    Let me know how it works, it is in my Wish List.

3. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have made coffee 2 ways w/o electricity. I have a coffee press and have heated water on the camp stove and slowly poured it through the filter basket of the Mr. Coffee. Both ways work fine for me.

4. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Never really thought about it. But my daily coffee is almost a no power process. Propane stove for water. A msr mug filter for grounds. I'm yet to get a power free grinder. I can tell you beans in a plastic bag and a hammer. Doesn't work all that well. ;)
    Cheers Jim

5. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have that coffer grinder, and it works well. A bit slow but bomb proof.

6. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sitting in my tin can, far above central ohio
    has anyone tried this with unheated water? i wonder how well it would work, in case you don't have access to or time for a heat source.

7. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    With my Finum brewing basket and coffee burr grinder I can brew anywhere & anytime. All I need is a source of hot water and roasted beans.
    IMG_5113.JPG

Papa Tac, azmike9, GreyOne and 5 others like this.
  8. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That would be cold press or cold brew. I had a co-worker that dabbled in that area. He would cold press it, then heat when ready to drink. More info at the below link:
    https://knowyourgrinder.com/cold-press-coffee/

Bobsdock, grendal and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    U koffe konifersewers... LOL...

We have more than that, AND enough ground coffee for longer than that. No problem getting ‘no power’ coffee. ;)

10. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lots of instructions for the coffee connoisseur.

Cold brew is dead simple. It just requires:

a container,
    water,
    coffee grounds,
    and time.

Fill a half gallon mason jar 3/4 full.
    Add 3/4 cup of grounds.
    Combine / immerse.
    Wait 24 hours.

Pour through a sock.

Enjoy coffee strong enough to sip from a flask.

The French Press and Aeropress extract caffeine mostly with immersion and temperature. Unfortunately the pressure isn't going to touch 9 atmospheres without more complicated equipment.

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  11. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always have 'pour over' coffee. Easy to do with or without electricity.

Gumbi, pellegrino, wingnuts and 4 others like this.
  12. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Not a coffee drinker, but remember parents using percolator' s to make their coffee no electricity required

13. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Hario Skerton grinder .And this year I went cowboy style .And it was quite good .
    Measure beans and water .
    Bring water to a boil
    Toss in grind and pull off heat .
    Steep . I think I did 6-8mins .

But usually I use either a cone filter holder or a flip pot .

@snwcmpr was just talking about this last week

Bobsdock and grendal like this.
  14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I did...... all they way up there in CT.
    A great visit.

Bobsdock, grendal and Paulyseggs like this.
  15. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it twas:)

Bobsdock likes this.
  16. Snoopnpoop

Snoopnpoop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I'm in the woods I make my coffee Turkish style in my steel cup. Boil water, add coffee grounds, boil some more, remove from fire, set until it cools enough to drink. By then the grounds have settled in the bottom of the cup. If you are picky about coffee grounds, you can always cook it in your pot and strain it to your cup. I'm not picky :)

17. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Used a percolator many times camping, but this is lighter with a smaller footprint, and makes better coffee in my opinion. Still have the old percolator but last it was used was power outage shortly after returning here from a tour in Alaska.

A good dollop of cold water helps settle the grounds in cowboy coffee. That is how I was taught to make it. Had that last on a hike in overnight fishing trip in Alaska for red salmon. Like someone said, I am not picking when I need my coffee! LOL

18. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Aeropress is about the easiest cleanup of any coffee maker I know. The plunger cleans the vessel so all you gotta do is drop off the grounds and rinse the end of the plunger. For some reason, I have always rinsed off the filters for reuse, I mean they are super expensive at a penny each. I generally use each filter 10 times or more. Don't take it backpacking, figure cowboy coffee for that. All I can see that a press does is separate the grounds from the liquid and I don't mind a few grounds.

Key thing is having the water just off boil.

Winterhorse and RackinRay like this.
  19. zerk

zerk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have thrown grounds in sauce pan and boil it. I have heard of smashing beans inside a towel if you want.

Also plain old simple perculator. I keep them around in case a coffee pot fails.

Winterhorse and buckfynn like this.
  20. JefeQ

JefeQ Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the Aeropress...
    Preferably with paper filters instead of the metal one. Clean up is easier, just burn the used grounds and paper filter when done. If you’re budgeting water usage you don’t want to have to rinse the metal disc. That’s the reason I moved on from the minipresso.
    https://www.wacaco.com/products/min...MI69qmn6a03gIVE8ZkCh3KLALjEAQYAiABEgIKbvD_BwE
    It works great to squeeze every mg of caffeine out of the grounds, but clean up is labooorious! (or I’m a lil eager to have my cup) Cheers!

Winterhorse likes this.
  21. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 4 perculators. 1 lrg ss, 1 lrg enamel, 1 sm al, 1 sm ss. They also work good for plain old pots too, esp the sm ss. I think it is a 9 cup Cabelas brand.

Winterhorse likes this.
  22. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Trangia coffee maker...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Interesting to see all of the various ways here...

I've heard good things about the aeropress, but when I looked at one, I think it only made 8oz at a time. Is that true? If so, I would need 3 of them!

Anyhoo, on trips, I used to use the MSR filter on the left. Then I discovered the Brew Buddy (right) which is my go to now. Both make nice coffee, but the BB stores in a shape that fits with my cooking gear much better. Really like that one!

IMG_20181101_230818971.jpg

:38:

24. pellegrino

pellegrino Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you're car-camping, I like the moka pot. Would not be suitable for backpacing, though.

20180127_071834[1].jpg
    20170624_105833[1].jpg

Many sorts of pour-over would work too. Below is a picture of a Costa Rican chorreador that was given to me by my parents. (chorrear is Spanish for to drip or trickle). It is essentially just a flannel sock (la bolsa) in which the coffee grounds are placed, and a stand under which the cup is placed to catch the trickle of coffee. It makes good coffee, and i find it easier to clean than a French press.

20180123_181536[1].jpg

WY_Not, Winterhorse and azmike9 like this.
  25. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    AeroPress makes maybe 10 oz or so. However it makes really good concentrate. I regularly put coffee for 24 oz at a time. Make 8 to 10 oz concentrate and dilute with hot water. Sort of like an Americano where you dilute espresso with hot water.

At first I couldn’t see “watering down” coffee but it makes really good coffee, maybe better than coffee made straight. I first got onto Aeropress because I don’t like coffee that has oxidized from setting on a keep warm hot plate. I usually make 16 or 24 oz of coffee and pour about 6 oz in my cup and remainder in thermos.

Winterhorse and Red Yeti like this.
  26. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm that sounds interesting @charlesmc2, I have heard good things about the coffee those make.

27. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  28. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've sort of developed a philosophy of coffee making.
    1. Roast beans, or buy roasted. Try to use within 2 weeks of roast date.
    2. Grind beans. Manual grinder or try a Baratza grinder. They make several.
    3. Dump grounds and pour 205 degree water over them. Stir. Wait, stir again. Elapsed time 2 to 6 minutes depending on fineness of grind.
    4. (optional) Separate grinds from the stuff you drink. Filter with paper, perforated metal or just let grounds settle. Paper takes out almost all the coffee oils, which may be a positive or a negative, depending on your taste. Metal leaves almost all the oils in.
    I like coffee that I stir, but pour over is OK, too. Key factors are
    • Quality of roasted beans
    • Grind
    • Time/temperature
    Now when I'm somewhere "out there" I'm a lot more forgiving of all of the above! Still, I like to get the last factor, time and temperature, as close as possible. I'm perfectly happy with cowboy coffee, though. GSI makes a sock of a thing that I can use to separate out the grounds, but I don't usually take it. Too easy to knock it over, things to spill and the like.

pellegrino, WY_Not and snwcmpr like this.
  29. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    filters and staples works for tea also

pellegrino and WY_Not like this.
  30. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Finally ran outta the easy K-Cups that I favored and set up the Aero Press. I used the metal filter this morning and it did not let in any grounds as I feared it might, but later cups made with paper filters revealed that it did seem to leave a slight chalky residue in the bottom of the cup. Still a nice to have back up for filters since I did not mind the silty residue as much as I mind grounds in my coffee.

Using fresh roasted organic beans it made a smooth cup of coffee. Wife likes it real well, but having me fix it for her may be part of that! LOL

31. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since I don't much care for instant coffee, I pre-grind my beans and stash them in my pack in a ziploc bag. And, I bring along Jasmine cafe' bags to make my coffee by the cup. https://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Prem...keywords=individual+serving+coffee+bags&psc=1

[​IMG]

We prefer dispersed backpack camping, so weight is a big factor. With the above mentioned method, we reduce the amount of equipment needed. Plus, it works well to make tea. Just boil your water & slowly pour it over your coffee or tea. Or, toss in some pine needles, seal the bag and let it steep for a few minutes. However, I still pack a handful of instant coffee packets & premade tea bags, for when we need are on a time schedule. :)

snwcmpr, pellegrino and WY_Not like this.
  32. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've boiled water,added coffee to a clean bandana , and poured the water over it.

Metaldog likes this.
  33. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lots of ways to make coffee without electricity.

For car camping I have a couple stove top percolators around.

For "quick and easy" day hikes I pack teabags, chocolate and/or Starbucks Via packets. But if I plan to set up a camp I'll often freshly ground coffee from home -- and bring more than just the Ti mug I used to pack.

I've made cowboy coffee a time or three but recently picked up a Primula Brew Buddy. It bet it's the same one @Red Yeti mentioned. They are great. They pack flat, store in a ziploc bag and seem to hold up well. I learned about them from my brother the coffee snob, who roasts his own coffee then grinds and blends it each day... even when camping. Come to think of it, especially when camping.

Back in the day I did a lot of backpacking. Pretty much NOTHING I packed could be considered "ultralight" or even "lightweight". I would often bring a small stovetop espresso maker and enameled espresso cups along with a small amount of ground coffee.

I'm not at home so I can't get real pics but mine is just like the GSI espresso maker that is currently available from a fine retailer near you.

Mini  Espresso Maker.jpg

When breaking camp, by the time my stove and espresso maker cooled down enough to pack I'd be pretty well caffeinated.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    pellegrino and WY_Not like this.
  34. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes put ground coffee in a basket paper filter, twist it and use it as a coffee bag. Dunk it in a mug of hot water a few times, let it steep a couple minutes, then wring it out. Good enough for a cup or two.

pellegrino and aaronu like this.