Coffee revenge!

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Dj1927, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Dj1927

Dj1927 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Ok so I decided to share one of my "fails in the woods" sort of speak. After reading a thread encouraging new members to post. So here we go.

A few days ago I finally got some time to spend in the woods. The plan was simple, a few nuts and berries for the road, and a hike through the forest off trail and find a nice spot to have a cup of coffee by the fire.

The woods were soaked after a few days of constant downpour but I didn't mind, thinking dry firewood is always available in one form or another. Finally I found a sweet spot on top of a hill with a nice view of the surroundings, time for coffee!

Everything went south from here, first off I couldn't get the darn fire going for whatever reason, secondly I managed to spill all my coffee powder allover my stuff in my rucksack. Forcing me to empty it and clean all my gear from coffee. ( Smells nice though).
    At this point I was quite tired of the whole thing and decided to make my way home.

The next day having not been able to let go of the failure the day before, I decided to bring my family on a short hike with the sole purpose of making a fire and a cup of coffee/hot chocolate.
    The family hike went smoothly the fire almost lit itself and the coffee turned out delicious. And as a bonus the sun decided to show up for a few hours during our stay.

My mind was now at peace. Feeling that the not so awesome trip the day before had been more that fully compensated!

Coffee revenge!

Have you ever had trips, adventures, hikes etc when nothing went as planned?
    Feel free to share some stories! :)

2. Luzster

Luzster They call me... Bucky. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Almost every outting something like that happens. That's why I always have a plan a, b and c. So plan a might not always work but b or c.normally will.

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Aw young fellar, we all have them sometimes. I bet you remember the one with the family a lot longer. To err is human, to give up is not an option. joe

4. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Those are the trips that make the best stories.
    Thanks for taking the time to share this one with us.

pab1, NWPrimate, Jim L. and 6 others like this.
  5. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lol almost every single trip goes something like that but its always something different and each time I learn something different. Some lessons from the past 2 months ( I think 3 outings total plus house outings) 1. do not wear a winter coat while tending fire you will melt it and down feather go every where 2. not always wise to cook char up on the kitchen stove 3. don't leave mullein stalk to dry on the front porch knowing snow is coming, it is now somewhere in the front porch 4. label zip lock bags or you will make coffee with flour and not creamer

6. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's all part of it brother. Keep after it you will get sooner or latter

pab1, NWPrimate, Jim L. and 6 others like this.
  7. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dj,

We all have successes. And we all have failures. It's called life.
    Some days, I'm quite comfortable with my fire making skills. Other days, not. It happens to us all.

I am a firm believer, that we learn much more from our failures, than we do our successes. Failures, especially fire failures, stick with me. Like you, I have to go make peace with it. The truth of the matter is. Some days it is just much more difficult.

Failures teach us. If we listen. Successes just inflate our egos.

I can manage some pretty cool meals in the woods. Yet, sometimes, I can screw up an easy one in my own back yard. It happens.
    [​IMG]

The takeaway, is just to stay at it, like you did,

Congrats for pushing through, and for taking your family along on the journey,

8. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a Pirate. Things never go as planned, because I don't plan them. A good pirate is never sure where he is going, a great pirate is never sure when he gets there. I go where and how the wind blows, and in the doldrums, I rest.

9. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If everything always went 100% as planned how boring that would be.
    The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.

10. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your story @Dj1927 , just goes to show you that sometimes Mr. Murphy rears his ugly head!

pab1, hunter63, Grouse Hunter and 7 others like this.
  11. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun LL&P Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will spare you the details, but, 2 years ago I took the family to a state park here in Indiana for a 3 night camping trip/hiking/playing in the river...
    • Wound up being the hottest week of the year (was not forecast that way)
    • A microburst hit the campground while we were sleeping and DESTROYED our tent, and a bunch of our gear was lost
    • I came down with the flu and recovered (5 days later) just in time to go back to work
    We still love camping though! LOL.

Best,
    Jamie

12. Dj1927

Dj1927 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    As you all say, failure is a step in the learning process, if you let it that is. A few days later after my little run in with Mr Murphy ( I loved that one) I've learned once again the importance of thorough preparations in the art of firemaking haha.
    Even the toughest trips evolve into fond memories over time :)

pab1, MommaJ, NWPrimate and 4 others like this.
  13. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Trying is the first step to failure.

Moral? Never try.

pab1, NWPrimate, Jim L. and 2 others like this.
  14. gohammergo

gohammergo Still running against the wind..... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not to sidetrack from the thread, but you just described me. :) Drives my wife crazy, because she plans everything. When something needs to get done, she'll ask how I plan on doing it. I say I have no plan. I'll get started and figure it out. I don't know how I'll do it, I just know I will. :)

Back on subject.

Happens to everyone. I've been a woodsbum all of my life. Last winter I went snowshoeing and figured I'd start a fire with ferro rod and chill with my dog. Have some coffee, etc. I could not get a fire going to save my life! And I had plenty of dry wood. Kindling, tinder, etc. By the time I gave up on the ferro, my hands were numb. I did eventually get a small fire going, but by that time I was wet, cold, hungry, and ready to be home sitting by the woodstove.:)

I'm kinda ashamed to admit being in that position, but it is what it is!

15. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The old quote that revenge is a dish best served cold doesn't apply here.
    Hot coffee revenge!

16. Jim L.

Jim L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Failure is the first step to success. Thanks for bringing us, Bro.

pab1, BalsamFur and NWPrimate like this.
  17. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Some days you are the windshield and others you are the bug! :(

pab1 and Lichen like this.
  18. Grouse Hunter

Grouse Hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad it worked out in front of the family.

Dj1927 and pab1 like this.
  19. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yup....called " A Tuesday".....just keep saying to your self....."Someday I gonna laugh about this......"

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:15 AM
    pab1 and gohammergo like this.
  20. owenswoodworking

owenswoodworking Mountaineer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great post @Dj1927 !!! And not much more can be said about your failures that hasn’t already been said in the replies. Without getting into a very lengthy reply, I have had as many failures in the bush lately as I have ever had. Each one teaches me something. Keep up the outings and post your successes and failures here. We care.

BalsamFur and Dj1927 like this.
  21. tamalpias

tamalpias Tracker

Blog Posts:
    20+ years of camping, backpacking, and hunting normally everything goes according to plan. This past fall goingvto Wyoming to hunt and hopped a small creek in a rush to get to the rendezvous point and being lazy I jumped with all my gear on and broke my ankle. Now that is a plan turned sour in a hurry. I still managed to shoot an antelope though.

22. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    15 years old. Have my own 12 ft boat and motor. Earned money bought myself. Take some buddies to a island for a camp trip. Motor fails. 4 people plus gear. No room for one guy to sit and row. Two in the middle have to use 10 ft oars like paddles. Worn out but made it. I send them ahead to find a camp spot. I tinker with the motor and get it running. At this point the totally useless park guy tells me there's a dock fee. I politely tell him in my most condescending voice. Bill me! Or for phone the police....oh wait they don't got a boat either! In short go away! Turns out the local thugs are also here for a camp trip. Buddies were wise enough to pick the furthest camp from them. Then another group arrives. Juvenile offenders on some sort of learning exercise. The thugs stole my boat and took it for a joy ride middle of the night. Tied it to a log on the beach. Was found floating tied to the log 5 km away. The young offenders knocked out our center pole in the tent. Middle of the night. Had to cut our way out of the tent. They were long gone before we could catch and punish them. The park guy was drunk before dark and missed all the fun. A third group from my school. Had a boat and intercepted the sailboat towing mine to harbour. The motor no longer worked. I had to row everyone home one by one. In short I don't use public camp grounds period.

atlastrekker likes this.