1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold climate rabbits

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by rooster85, Sep 11, 2017.

1. rooster85

rooster85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good evening everyone, I'm looking to get back into raising rabbits, mainly for meat. For those of us that live in the cold part of the country, how does everybody winterize their hutches or barns? Thanks everyone!

Seeker, CivilizationDropout and Kdad like this.
  2. Jayson

Jayson Scout

Blog Posts:

Might get some info here.

CivilizationDropout and Kdad like this.
  3. rooster85

rooster85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good video, thank you.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  4. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I raised rabbits for a while. Big thing I realized really fast is that rabbits like to be on the ground and not elevated in the air. The ground has more of a steady temperature in winter then a breeze blowing below and elevated hutch.

A friend of mine had rabbits last winter, we had a very cold long winter. He had a chain link inclosure , he put strawbales wall to wall. The rabbits tunnled into the straw and made very warm looking dens. He would pull out loose straw poo material and set it aside for garden mulch and but more straw in the kennel. I would say it was a successful system for happy rabbits and winter.

Flemish Giant crosses seam to be popular among are friends who enjoy raising and eating rabbits.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  5. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was going to add that the rabbit bread that we raised was the New Zealand meat rabbits. They were big but some what wild and skittish in nature. The Flemish Giants seam very calm and almost pet like, at least the one i have been around.

6. rooster85

rooster85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the replies, I'll be raising New Zealand X Californians. I like the Flemish rabbits for no reason other than size! I think my rabbit barn would be to small for that breed, maybe in the future though.