Cold Steel 97MKM Magnum Kukri machete. $12.33

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by moab, Aug 8, 2018.

1. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    teotwaki and blind & lost like this.
  2. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For that price, you'd have to expect top quality steel and professional heat treating.

It may be a good buy for yard or farm use. You could beat the snot out of it and not be out a pile of cash if it went belly up. I'd like to hold one in my hand before I laid out that much cash, though.

Steve

blind & lost likes this.
  3. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had the regular kukri machete and liked it. I got the magnum kukri for a buddy. I thought it was too much weight at the end and unwieldy, but that's just me. At that price, it's a winner.

Scud213 and blind & lost like this.
  4. Chris keating

Chris keating Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One of my earlier purchases when I was infTuated with kukris after alone season 1, it flexes a lot and gives hot spots on the hand. As @PMSteve said decent for light home use, but I wouldn’t take it on a bushcraft outing or stake my life on it.

PMSteve and blind & lost like this.
  5. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If I had to take one into the bush with me. It would be the ESSE Light Machete. Was on sale a couple weeks ago. But it's around $57 normally.

https://www.smkw.com/esee-knives-li...-coated-machete-plain-blade-nylon-belt-sheath

And I'd sharpen it like this guy from Alone. I think he's on here actually.

The reason I posted that cheap one. Is it reminds me of this machete I got in the Marine Corps while at the Jungle Environmental Survival School in the Philippines. Cost me $2. And it's made out of vehicle leaf springs with carabao handle. It has a kukri style angle to it. That angle really aids in chopping and bushwacking. The reviews on Amazon for the that cheap one say the same thing about it. I think for 13 bucks it's a good one just to have around. It is very thin and needs to be sharpened. (What machete doesn't in that price range?) But it's a very comfortable design. You don't use as much wrist action. It's more of just your forearm swing back and forth. Or your whole arm. You can swing it alot longer than a normal style machete. Here are the Amazon reviews: https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-9...show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    LongChinJon likes this.
  6. Gary V

Gary V Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Years ago I bought one of these from Walmart to cut some brush. I got about a day's use out of it before the handle split in half and came off. It was made of two hollow plastic pieces that were glued together. This looks very similar.

7. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a JEST Bolo that looks like a cousin to yours.