Cold Steel Shovel Use Pics

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by leightyj2, Aug 26, 2018.

1. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thought it would be fun to post this. I know IAwoodsman did a bunch of videos on this tool which made me want one. Had it for a few years and only used it for digging in the garden and to leave in my trunk. Recently decided to throw a jute wrap on it with epoxy, took off the shiny finish and sharpened the sides with files then sandpaper. Since then I really have been impressed with its performance as a woods tool. 69761EA8-07C0-4685-8824-D680447E7ECA.jpeg
    Just throw it into a stump and make draw curls very easily with the sharpened edge. Cool thing is after you make a big shaving pile you can start your fire on the shovel and then transfer the whole thing to the fire on top of the shovel. 7A35E2C8-4456-435E-B534-DF3F4D72F95D.jpeg

Would love to see some others post photos of them using their military style shovels for different bushcrafty things!

2. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's funny you should start this thread now, because I JUST got the first dirt on my shovel digging this thing up from under my porch.
    0826182004.jpg

3. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow you are braver than I digging that up!

4. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since they call it a "Russian special forces" shovel, I figured it would take something brave and crazy to properly christen it. ;)

5. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh, another tag.

So, at Puckerbrush this past July, Fowler made it to the event, so I ventured near his booth and tossed out the idea of using the shovel as a bearing block for friction fire, I hadn't really tried it but knew it had potential. Later Zack stopped by the friction fire booth and we gave it a go. Here is Fowler's video I will tag it where the shovel and friction fire start off but the whole video is worth a view.

7. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181011_190455.jpg let it begin..

8. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
  10. 2Stroke

2Stroke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My shovel actually gets the most use when I'm fishing from the beach. It works great to pound in rod holders, dig fire pits in the sand, and it's excellent at chopping frozen bait. My shovel has also been used to dispatch more fish and game then I would like to admit. It's such an awesome tool!

11. schapm

schapm Incompetent City Dweller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used mine to kill a rat the other day. Not sure how it got in the house but the best theory is that the cat brought it in. She has a history of bringing in live birds to play with that we then have to chase around with a net lol. Pretty gross.

12. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guess I have to get one now. Been holding off as long as I could.

13. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    To use it as it was intended:

File a fair edge
    Jump in a shell crater with one or more enemies
    Use it as a melee weapon

14. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gentlemen, start your shovels...let the carnage begin!

I keep thinking of getting one, but, my old WWII/Korea surplus e-tool would then be neglected, and just a shame to do that...

15. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Better than an E tool. No moving parts to break.

16. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    SGM F use to say when someone just wouldn't listen and he was at the end of his patience, "am I gonna haft to get my e-tool?

17. mtngunr

mtngunr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Worse than an e-tool, poorer leverage and takes up more room if leverage increased.

We can dance this dance all day long, but my e-tool is only 75yrs old and still going strong, so, what do I know? It could let loose at any second, right?

Meanwhile, all I did was mention I had an e-tool and would find the desired Cold Steel superfluous, zero attempt to hijack thread to a which-is-better subject changer, and really ought to be left at that.

18. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  19. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use mine for fun . It's a very capable tool so don't be midled by the fun remark . But who'd of thought a shovel could be fun ?

20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My CS Spetz has been hanging in for about 20 years, it's been a machete, spatula, boat paddle....I did have some fun photos on an older computer but it crashed to beyond retrieval or resurrection.:(. It a good tool that I would replace if something were to happen to it.

21. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181014_181550.jpg First mission fer my shovel.. gathering some sasafras roots. Gonna make me some tea!

22. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Was the friction fire successful? And did you try the shovel or use the knife for the bearing block?

Oakenhart, MrFixIt and Not Sure like this.
  23. Chris keating

Chris keating Scout

Blog Posts:
  24. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, there was fire, used the Shovel for Bearing Block. If you look at the top of the Spindle you can see how it
    ground down to fit the Shovel/Handle Joint.
    Also, second link I posted has more info on it.
    I put the Knife in the Pic because,all Pics should have a Knife in them.........

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Madwell, Oakenhart, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  25. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I see, you used the seam where the socket meets the handle. I hadn't thought of that end. With Fowler in the above video I posted I used the channel in the blade of the shovel, on the under side right at the end of the shovel handle. It was tricky keeping the spindle in place but no friction to speak of.

Oakenhart, MrFixIt and Not Sure like this.
  26. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered the Cold Steel Special Forces (CSSF) Shovel, should arrive Thursday. Don't have any 'in-use' images, yet. LOL!

I currently own a Glock E-Tool. I've had it for a couple of decades. I love the Saw in the handle! While I find it adequate for most of the tasks I've asked of it, the friction locking mechanism is a little 'fiddly' and loosens with use. I find myself having to tighten it while performing moderate to heavy tasks. It's never failed, so I can't really complain. Made of Glock polymer, except for the Blade and some hardware, it shows little, or no wear and tear. I have plans for both of these E-Tools.

The CSSF Shovel has a very good reputation amongst the Cognoscente and it recently got a little 'Air-Time' on "Alone" with one of the contestants. It's been one of those things on my 'list', if I find a good price. I did, just that.

I thought about getting a vintage Soviet era MPL-50 entrenching tool, but quite frankly, being an 'old Cold Warrier', it irks me to own anything Warsaw Pact. But, that's just me. Besides, from all accounts the CSSF Shovel is arguably as good and , maybe better than the Soviet version. If, the Heat-Treat and Temper stories I've heard are correct. The best 'feature' is it's cheaper. :dblthumb:

I'll report back on my initial opinion of my new CSSF Shovel when it arrives.:50:

b/r

RB

27. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    While at the bushbox I spotted a small poplar stump just behind it. Well it had to go. IMG_20181016_181326.jpg I could see myself tripping over this in the dark and running my cheek down the edge of the tin and having two mouths.. cut me? I think not!! IMG_20181016_182223.jpg most was rotted but the center was still solid but the shovel worked like a champ! And even after shoveling and chopping rocks and dirt held a surprising edge! I got a pine tree that's next.

28. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    Had a dead tree in the path to the bushbox.. IMG_20181017_175219.jpg this was a good test for my new shovel said I.. IMG_20181017_175826.jpg I wasn't about to leave a stump tho... IMG_20181017_180046.jpg so I got to chopping.. and digging.. IMG_20181017_181103.jpg and chopped.. and chopped and dug IMG_20181017_181614.jpg grabbed a hand full of Muscadine vines and gave it a tug, all it took giving the leverage I had with the other 30' of tree and the vine. IMG_20181017_181833.jpg much better and an excellent test on my lil shovel. Very impressed with this guy. Held a good edge considering all the dirt and slate I went through to get this done. Anywho fun stuff!

leightyj2, Redwalker, Madwell and 4 others like this.
  29. sea6ear

sea6ear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Standing guard before the fire.

IMG_1025.JPG

During the fire.

IMG_1034.JPG

Stick a shovel in it, it's done

IMG_1063.JPG

spectre68, leightyj2, Madwell and 9 others like this.
  30. kronin323

kronin323 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    sea6ear, savage99nc and MrFixIt like this.
  31. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    @leightyj2 I felt bad about hi-jacking the thread, so I deleted my posts and started a new thread. My apologies to the OP.

b/r

RB

32. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've told this story before, but around 30 years back, I was driving through a residential area through a snow storm, on my way to work.

High centered my 2WD compact pickup on a snow drift out in the street. Mazda B series-remember 14" tires?

Discovered a Missouri front license plate was a lousy substitute for a shovel. Dead certain it still is. Got to work 45+ minutes late (I'm NEVER late), and had an unpleasant conversation with my boss.

Bought an Ames garden shovel that weekend, and threw it behind my seat.

Cold Steel isn't the best, but it's good, consistent, and readily available. To me it's the best thing they make, or ever have.

savage99nc and schapm like this.
  33. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about getting one, but I doubt I would ever actually carry it into the woods with me. My buddy has one and LOVES it. With his CS shovel and a CS Bushman on the end of his walking stick, he's ready for anything. ;)

savage99nc and schapm like this.