Cold Steel Wild West Bowie

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Draven, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Draven

Draven Guide

Blog Posts:
    Howdy folks!
    Anyone seen this one?

[​IMG]
    Pretty clear inspiration (practically a carbon copy as far as I can tell) from the Western W49.

The blade is about 3/16" thick and made in India. Honestly, it's not up to the usual quality of Cold Steel IMO - the blade was unsharpened for the first inch and last half inch or so. The rest was fairly sharp. Taking a file to it, it was a little softer than most knives nowadays but probably about the same as a good machete which is probably about right for this type of knife anyway. It's listed as being a saber grind - it's not, it's pretty clearly hollow ground. I spent a fair amount of time sharpening it with a file and diamond to thin and blend the secondary bevel a little (including taking the edge all the way to ricasso and to the tip) and it's a big improvement. The sheath is decent, nothing to write home about but the whole package is good bang for your buck IMO at the price point.

I recall Lynn Thompson talking a while ago about the Frontier bowie as being his attempt to give a guy who doesn't have a lot of cash an in for a quality, functional bowie knife - IMO this looks like a much better example of that. Though I haven't used the frontier bowie.

The grip is a little blocky but reasonably comfortable and looks real nice.

I think the blade is probably forged, as the surface is a little uneven. The surface finish and hardness looks pretty typical of made in india blades I've seen from decent Indian manufacturers like Windlass Steelcrafts. With that in mind, I'm skeptical that it says the steel is 1090 (which I don't think I've heard of before), while probably 99% of decent forged blades I've seen leaving India have been 5160 or EN45 (which are probably practically the same anyway). Cold steel has been weird in the past about blade steel names, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I think it's a good deal for someone who doesn't want to try to find a good W49 on ebay at a good price or doesn't want to tear up an american legend pounding it into trees. The finish is NOT up to the standard I've seen from cold steel thus far (tomahawks excluded) but for a big beefy cowboy knife for chopping wood, making camp and fighting zombies I couldn't care less.

Pete

2. JohnP

JohnP Only the rocks live forever. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Now that is what a Bowie should look like.

JohnP

3. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is a western Bowie
    DSCN4249.JPG
    I blued the steel cause this he way I like it.

4. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What model S&W is that?

central joe likes this.
  5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruger Redhawk

central joe likes this.
  6. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knife!

Draven and JohnP like this.
  7. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    My frontier Bowie is serial number 355 . I assume it’s 1055 and not the newer steel .

central joe and Draven like this.
  8. Draven

Draven Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you there - I appreciate a bowie knife art piece as much as the next guy but there's a lot to be said for a no BS workhorse.

I didn't realize they were serialized, that's cool - how do you like it? I was thinking about getting one before I pulled the trigger on this. It has a great old-school militaristic look to it.

central joe, JohnP and scottman like this.
  9. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Quite thick in the edge I was thinking of regrinding when i get to it .... but not as bad as the svord. Also the tang transition after I took the guard off needed to be modded with Dremel .

Serial number is on the tang .

It is quite tough no surprises easily passed point pry and spine Wacks in below freezing temps .

central joe and Draven like this.
  10. Draven

Draven Guide

Blog Posts:
    Funny you should mention Svord, the knife I was considering before the frontier bowie was the von tempsky. Would love to see any mods if you've done any - the weird looking grip is the main thing I dislike about it.

central joe likes this.
  11. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It’s edge thickness behind the apex is well ridiculous. The weight of the knife with the handle makes it want to go out of your hand .

central joe likes this.
  12. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    It would appear to be a blued Security Six

savage99nc and central joe like this.