1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Tolerance Challenge - Get In On This!

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by NWPrimate, Sep 25, 2016.

1. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Scout

Blog Posts:
    I started the challenge last night,I turned the shower down from"take the hair off a pig" to " washing dishes".

This may take a while.

2. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is a great time of year to get started if you really want to ease into it. I spent fifteen minutes under the shower trying to get cold and it just wasn't happening.

[​IMG]

3. Black Chrome

Black Chrome Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been working in cold water at the end of my showers again. I didn't make it very far with it last winter but I was able to go a lot longer into winter without anything long sleeved.

4. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is time to revive this thread. I enjoy the winter way more than the summer. Simply let your body be cold and do your best to tolerate it.

bacpacjac, rsnurkle, xRangerx and 2 others like this.
  5. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    62 in my house this morning. Fall is in the air! I keep telling my wife it's good training for our kiddo. Mental toughness

NWPrimate, bacpacjac and rsnurkle like this.
  6. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've always prefer cold weather to hot and humid, but 7 0r 8 years ago, my thyroid started going wonky and I lost about 50 at the same time thanks to a lifestyle change. (Good-bye desk job!) I started noticing the cold a lot more from the combination. A winter cap and merino wool socks became near year-round attire. An underwear layer became pretty normal too, Spring through Fall.

In more recent years, my body has forgotten that it is only 18 years old, and has started going through the mid-life change. Hot flashes are the bane of my existence now. LOL! I've been trying a trick a friend from Argentina once shared: hot showers. They work in the sense that I feel cooler immediately afterwards, but I think they might be backfiring at night. I'm going to try the cold shower routine instead. I've always found them or a cold skinny dip to be very refreshing. After reading through this thread for the second time, I'm interested in learning more. Maybe there's some hormone kicking benefits to be found as well. Feeling more energized is certainly a huge plus in my books.

Thanks gang! Looking forward to following this thread closely. Cold shower number 1, coming up!

7. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to try the cold shower mode.I'm cold blooded so it seems,almost wimpy when it comes to sleeping in a sleeping bag that in no way keeps me warm(which is why I broke down and got an M.S.S.)I've even shivered while camping in the summertime while using my old mummy bag(meaning the one I refuse to use anymore).I used to swim in cold mountain creeks(meaning jump in,and get out right away)when in my 20's,so even then I minded cold water.I'll get back to you on it and let ya know if I wimp out or go for it.

8. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I must be Freakin' Nuts to be even considering this! But I am hoping to do a fair amount of snow-shoeing and winter-hiking this year. And it would be nice to go in already acclimated.

I'm in. (Uhhhh, Unless, of course, I get cold feet. :eek:)

Coyote Ron

9. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have always loved the cold over the hot,
    As kid I challenged my self to sleep as long as possible in the winter, with out a blanket or stove going . my room was well in the 30s.
    when I shoveled snow typically I wore a T shirt and levis and boots. some times it was so cold the snow was easier to sweep rather than shovel .
    One thing that helped me I think is taking a shot of cider vinegar ,supposedly to thin my blood and acclimate to the cold , whether it actually did or not, I felt it worked for me.
    I've done some diving in the lake covered in ice, retrieving lost equipment and did ice rescue training wearing the appropriate rescue gear.
    Early in life I was intrigued by the poor bear club (reading only ) thinking , if they can do it I can do it.
    Any thing one man can do, another man can do.
    Now a days sleeping is too important an asset to play with, but i can practice in other ways as it gets cooler .

Quinlan, rsnurkle, UAHiker and 2 others like this.
  10. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can't do it now but have in the past. I've walked barefoot a couple of hundred yards in 14* snow in shorts and barefoot just to do it. I'm also the only one to take an icy shower when the ice causes power outages.

You are right, it does make you feel good after some exposure, especially the shower IMO.

11. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Today was day one of the cold shower regimen. My goal is 30 days. By that time we will be getting regular freezes every night and spending time outdoors should be able to take over.

It was...invigorating...once my wife scraped me off the bathroom ceiling with a spatula. She seems to think this is all rather amusing. :confused:

Coyote Ron

Luzster, Quinlan, Flint_2016 and 5 others like this.
  12. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    Great job stepping up to the plate @NM_Coyote . :dblthumb:

That first one is rough! It sure feels great when it is over though. Invigorating is the perfect word! If you can stick with it for 30 days, at some point you'll find it gets a lot easier and takes less and less conscious willpower to take that first step into the icy spray.

Once you reach your goal, I hope you'll consider evaluating the experience with an open mind toward continuing rather than arbitrarily cutting the experiment at that point. I see this as being similar to other forms of physical fitness. Ambient cold exposure is certainly helpful, but if you look at these like workouts, then wearing a t-shirt in 40 degree weather is the exercise equivalent to taking a walk around the block, where 3-5 minutes in 40 degree water is more like a sprint workout or power lifting. The easier routes provide real results and benefits and are definitely worthwhile, but don't offer the same potential for real fitness as high intensity exercise or cold showers.

The biggest hurdle to the cold shower routine is the built in aversion to discomfort. Once you have 30 of them under your belt, you'll have already conquered that, so the way I see it, you might as well keep reaping the rewards.

Quinlan, UAHiker, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  13. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I began cold showers last fall, but could not continue. Sometimes its invigorating, sometimes its boosting a migrain....so i dont do it as regularly as i would like, but still more often than before. Something like twice a week this summer. Although i dont shovel snow in t'shirt, i see a good bit of diffrence. Before, i would get blue lips from a quick lake dip in summer. Now, i can swim in a lake for 20 min. And not be that cold. I know im starting from quite far... The irony is : i love cold.

Anyways, have fun. This is a great challenge!

14. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    trying to get back into after taking a break. i usually start warmish then as i wash slowly creep the cold factor down and end with the coldest it can go. last winter was so unusually mild i'm hoping for a better winter to be able to better judge the benefits.

15. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well,this morning I said let's go for it,and I jumped in the shower cold as it could get.Just for today I only lasted about 15-20 seconds,Yeah it sure takes your breath away,LOL.I think the morning's the best time to do it.Only thing I was still a little funky afterwards from drinking only one cup of coffee.I thought the shower would've taken that funk away,but no.Perhaps tomorrow I'll have to go for thirty seconds.Anyone else getting into this thing?

16. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My wife asked me why I was hollering and I told her I was taking a cold shower.It didn't seem to impress her or move her as she didn't even reply.I didn't tell her yet about the reason yet.She was half asleep anyway and said little.

17. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm in.This should be interesting.FYI,the following morning I jumped right in with the shower turned cold as it could get.20 seconds,some major deep breathing,and mild hollerin'

18. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I hear you on the deep breathing--a couple of times earlier this summer I got it cold enough that the only thing I really did was stand there, breathe, and count to 60. (At that time I was turning the dial to uncomfortably cold for 60 seconds at the end of a shower--some days I got it colder than others.) I've fallen off the boat recently, but might be time to suck it up and get back on.

19. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saturday afternoon jumped right in there,though only for about 15 seconds with water set as cold as possible.It's funny I look forward to it,but can't withstand longer than 10-15 seconds.It's gonna take some time before I get up to 30 seconds.With my arthritis I'm liable to back out altogether if problems arise.

20. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting these updates @Flint_2016 . When you say that you can't stand longer than 10-15 seconds...what is it that you actually can't stand? There is definitely physical conditioning going on, but a lot of it is mental too. I wonder if it might be helpful for you to set some kind of timer so you're not just deciding to stop when it gets uncomfortable. I don't want you to push yourself too hard, but I would bet if you set a timer for thirty seconds and set your mind to standing there until it goes off, you'll be surprised what you can actually tolerate.

Once you build up to it, knowing that songs on the radio are about 3 minutes long can be a helpful gauge of time and a distraction for your mind if you either go through one in your head or actually bring a music source into the bathroom with you.

21. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't take the cold like I used to. I used to duck hunt all winter long in different states. You would be out walking around in ice covered water after the ducks and geese you shot. Many many times you would be out in the middle of a ice and rain storm just to have a chance to shoot a couple of birds.

I can't remember how many times I have fallen down and filled my waders up with water. I have made it back to the truck a few times and I was one big icicle. All of your cloths were completely frozen. Yes you were cold but it amazed me how much cold you can take once you get used to it. I have taken people with me that made me take them home because of being too cold. And I was sitting there sweating!

But my body just will not let me do things like I was able to do 20 years ago. Don't get old people it is not fun! LOL!

22. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suppose I get anxious as well as cold standing in very cold water.Don't think I'll last long with this thing.We'll see.Summertime maybe,but not when arthritis is starting to kick in.

23. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Missed Sunday so I stayed in extra long Monday,40 seconds LOL,my wife was laughing the whole time saying she wanted to hear me hollering.No hollering,just a "whoa"LOL.I used the timer on my cell phone.I must admit it was a bit easier than the first and second time.

24. Mojoe

Mojoe Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've always loved the cold. I discovered the Wim Hoff method last year... it uses breathing techniques to help deal with cold. I was swimming in the river last week on my canoe trip and it was 45 degrees out. I don't know the water temp, but it was chilly.

25. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    went to a hockey game last night and wore shorts and a short sleeve tee shirt. wasn't cold at all. at one point my wife asked if i was cold and i said no and she told me i must be the only skinny person here with shorts and a tee shirt on....

NWPrimate and NM_Coyote like this.
  26. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I think I'm on Day 10 now and I have to admit, I like it! I've been fighting a cold for a couple of weeks, but it hasn't got me yet. ;)

My morning hot wash shower gets followed up with a few minutes of straight cold water. BRRRR! It's really invigorating~! It may be helping with my hot flashes but it's too early to tell. The furnace is off and all the windows are at least cracked, despite protests from the family now that we're getting single digit temps and frost. My hubby's got both halves of the fleece blanket on our bed, and I'm just using the sheet, but that's nothing new. ;)

I started netti potting this week, along with swigging oregano oil, to try to ease my chronic congestion. Those nearly killed me, but I'll persist. Thanks gang!~

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    UAHiker and NWPrimate like this.
  27. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    I'm on day 7. I have gotten over the "peel me off the ceiling stage." But I have to admit I am taking shorter showers than I used to.
    So far we have only had 2 hard freezes. My wife has always liked sleeping colder than I so this has not been a problem.

I think I'll reward myself for meeting my goal by going camping at the hot springs by Ojo Caliente. I know, sounds counter-productive, but camp is likely to be a 5 minute hike from the spring through November weather.

Coyote Ron

bacpacjac and NWPrimate like this.