Cold Tolerance Challenge - Get In On This!

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by NWPrimate, Sep 25, 2016.

1. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Its getting to be this time of year.

2. Mad Martigan

Mad Martigan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @NWPrimate , have you noticed any increasing INtolerance to heat with doing this? Living in Oklahoma, the summers can bet absolutely brutal sometimes...[/QUOTE]

If you continually do things to make yourself adapt to the cold. It will cause your blood to thicken. Once your blood thickens I'd image it would make you less tolerant to the heat. That is the reason why someone born and raised in Phoenix can't handle a Detroit winter or a person from Minneapolis can"t handle a Houston summer. I believe your blood thickening or thinning depending on the region where you live has more to do with how you handle temperatures more than anything else.

3. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It's definitely harder to do this in the cooler weather than it was in the Summer, but I am persisting. ;) The overnight temperatures are got to single digits (9C) last night. Tis the season!

Dscythe, NWPrimate and freebirdfb like this.
  4. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm one of those mutants who has a natural affinity for cold weather. A few years ago I completed an Appleseed "Winterseed" the first week of February in Indiana (early morning temp was 7 F, but it got into the teens in the afternoon) wearing shorts. When I was in school, I once did a dare to step outside of the wrestling locker room wearing nothing but (the undergarment worn under wrestling singlets) outside onto the concrete when it was -8F and the sun was down. That was a little chilly. I still frequently walk in the snow barefoot going to get the mail.

On the other hand, I truly suffer in the summer. When it gets about 60F or so, I don't like it.

So . . . I raise this because: if you successfully acclimate yourself to the cold when it is not natural for you, how does your body react when it gets hot outside? Do you just normally return to how you were, or do you need to take similar measures to get used to the heat again?

5. oregon explorer

oregon explorer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in. I'm tolerant to cold conditions but I'm generally very unhappy about it. Living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon, it not only gets cold but also very wet. Being more adaptive to my environment can only be a plus.

bacpacjac, NWPrimate and freebirdfb like this.
  6. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lol, I've been looking for heat therapy... Growing up in cold country, people look at me odd when I'm out walking my dog in bare feet, running shorts and a tank top. Until it gets below freezing, then I put on shoes. I hate being hot, and I'm close to 60 yrs old.

7. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    New response to an old post, but I hear you. I lost some weight, not as much, about 20lbs, and I noticed that I am not as insulated now as before.

Funny that I never knew you were at "Fort Lost in the Woods". I was there in 1999, and it still brings back memories. Whenever I get back up to your place to grab that barrel I it would be fun to talk more about about it.

NWPrimate, rsnurkle and Haggis like this.
  8. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good...

Never was a much less likely military fella than me. Few weeks back, a check out lady asked me if I was a veteran; “Why”, says I? “We offer discounts for vets.” I told her I got paid in the military, and fed, and medical care, and housing,,, and she or her parents had to pay for it,,; maybe she or they should be the ones getting a discount? Nobody owes me anything for those miserable years, not even a tip of the hat...

Greebe likes this.
  9. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I always have a quick cold rinse after a hot shower (good for your pores and hair, lol).

Growing up in Alaska, there were times it was easily 50F or less in the house. I even lived with my dad who at times didn't have a working heater. We had to keep a stove he'd built by welding an exhaust pipe to a metal drum stocked with wood and some mornings we'd simply run low or out. I'd wake up shivering a bit and would always b-line to the bathtub to take a hot bath.

Now in Texas, I do the best to replicate that. I don't plan on turning on my heater until it's near freezing and I'll be using wool/layers to keep warm.

Thank you for such a thought out post.

NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.
  10. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    How individuals respond to cold varies tremendously.

I'd estimate I have about 10% body fat, so not much insulation there, but I happily go surfing at dawn in 46 degree water, 25-40 degree air, and a 20 mph wind. I can stay out for 2-3 hours.

I also cycle in the mountains and wear shorts through pouring rain, howling wind, hail, snow, and temps well below freezing.

Most of the time I arrive back home quite cold, and sometimes like a frozen popsicle, but for some reason it doesn't bother me -- I don't find it stressful. In fact, I quite like the invigorating feel, especially after a hot shower and a hot meal.

But I HATE being too hot!!!

NWPrimate, Dscythe and Sodak like this.