Cold Weather Electronics Storage To Stop Battery Drain?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by CharClothed, Nov 22, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking at a few things to bring with me winter camping. I don't mind if it's bulky but I want something I can use that'll keep the batteries/items protected from the cold and a little insulated. What thoughts do you have on this? The link below is something I thought about getting to protect the items I want to bring, but will the foam in it help insulate the batteries so they don't drain from the cold?
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-weatherproof-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html

EternalLove likes this.
  2. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think that's to bulky. I see that being used by a professional photographer. Maybe. He would probably ditch it or keep it in an airport storage locker until the flight home.

I think the solution is to keep cellphones, flashlights, and batteries close to your person. Stick them inside your pockets and in your sleeping bag when you sleep. You can get lithium batteries for your flashlight. Your cellphone is already lithium. Was lithium a song or an album by Nirvana? You can also bring an soft insulated cooler for the same purpose as the case above.

marbleman, Todd1hd, KFF and 1 other person like this.
  3. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Insulation will just slow down how long it takes for something to get cold, without active heat it will just mean they take longer to drain. If the batteries are cold when they go in, or cool off when you open the insulated vessel you will simply be keeping them that temperature.

Keeping them inside your clothing is the simplest and most effective way I know of without bringing along heavy and bulky contraptions. Even when I keep things wrapped in extra insulation in my backpack they are often quite cold by morning, If you aren't using a heated shelter YOU are likely the only active heat source you will have access to regularly.

reppans, marbleman and Red Wing like this.
  4. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    it always makes me wonder when people keep batteries in the freezer then others say cold drains the batteries.

I try not to need batteries, and consider them a nice to have when I"m out in the woods. usually I have a cell phone, a 2 meter handi talkie and a pocket led flash light on my somewhere. Keep a charger for the phone in the truck and house.

5. CharClothed

Blog Posts:
    Truth be told, when I go out in the winter I bring my Nintendo Switch, I like to keep it protected hence the case. Not very bushcraft like but when it's 6pm and already night time, I like to get in my shelter and relax. But it'll normally take time to fall asleep.

lopie likes this.
  6. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Drain isn't quite the right word, but you can't use the power that's there when they are cold. Warm them back up and the power is usable again, but this can be tedious or difficult in the woods. keeping alkali batteries in the freezer does theoretically extend their life, but many people say unless you are storing for 10+ years it is moot. Lithium and alkali batteries behave differently in the cold as well.

reppans likes this.
  7. CharClothed

Blog Posts:
    I ended up getting it. What's not seen in this photo is a place for my flashlight and some spare batteries for that.

Attached Files:

8. foresterfrench

foresterfrench Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Timber cruisers use hand warmers to keep there data loggers warm and the batteries functioning.