Combatting horse/deer flies?

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Beach Hiker, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am in the middle of a lot of outdoor work.
    The horse flies are ferocious, abundant, and apparently I am delicious.
    Any tips or hints for combatting them?
    I have noticed that if I wear a white t-shirt it attracts them faster.
    In any case, I am forced to wear socks, long pants, a hat and a long sleeved shirt.... and it's hot!
    Heeeeellllppp meeeeee!

2. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We have three different types of them around here. Really tiny ones that look like a common house fly but they bite but don’t leave a mark to speak of. A slightly bigger one that has delta shaped wings when at rest. They bite hard and I always get some swelling, sometimes rather dramatic swelling. And finally we have these good sized monsters with metallic green eyes, they bite the instant they alight, and I’ve had severe reactions to them. I have good luck with mosquitoes and black fly repellants but I’d love to find a good repellant for these biting flies—I’ll be watching this thread closely!

BBizy, Winterhorse, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  4. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20190806_085530.jpg My wife swears by these. She uses them while riding the horses. I still haven't tried them myself, as I enjoy smacking myself on the head fifty times a minute.

beacon, Turtle Creek, BBizy and 12 others like this.
  5. Kennebago

Kennebago Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you what NOT to do, at least.

I got the bright idea one day at the range to smoke a really big cigar really fast, because it always kept flies away from my grandfather.

Short version is that I really, really regretted it.

6. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    Summertime I wear a shemagh under a baseball cap, it keeps them off the back of my head, and shoulder area

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    BBizy, Beach Hiker and Winterhorse like this.
  7. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  8. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have some kind of deer flies that love to bite the backs of your legs, behind your knees. They drive my dog crazy. Fortunately we don't have many mosquitoes. Around here, people who have to work outdoors in the bugs and thorns (cowboys and forest workers) wear long pants and long sleeved shirts all the time. You never see them wearing shorts or T shirts. The only people running around in shorts and T shirts are tourists or people who don't have to be outdoors a lot. It's usually so dry here that cooling by evaporation works pretty well. I can get my long sleeved shirt wet, put it on, and be pretty comfy for a while until the shirt dries out. Then I get it wet again. I wish I could strip down to minimal clothing in hot weather, but bug bites and flesh ripping thorns are worse than being hot.

BBizy, Beach Hiker and Winterhorse like this.
  9. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Guide

Blog Posts:
    This summer in southern New England is horrendous for deer and horse flies. They are visual predators so it seems any kind of chemical barrier is worthless. They see movement and go towards it. I have noted that mid July to mid August is the biting fly season.

Right now I have noticed that the deer flies have diminished but are not completely gone. I figure in another week or so they will be in the past.

At the range I found that a Ruger Single Six 22 WRM with rat shot works well on the giant flies.

10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Permethrin treatment for my hat and shirt. Treat a bandana and hang it off the hat and over your neck to protect it. Pants, socks, and shoes get it too.

Heard good things before about the fly paper strip things on the hat, but haven't used it.

Increase your garlic intake (good for you regardless), which helps me with mosquitoes as well.

11. bikerector

bikerector Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I read somewhere that a wide brimmed hat helped since they tend to fly around your head where CO2 concentrations are the highest, as that's one thing that draws them in. Bought a wide brimmed straw hat and it helps a ton. I wear it every time I take the dog out or I risk knocking myself out slapping the things.

Haven't tried those sticky patches yet. The hat has helped tremendously and only cost $15, plus it keeps the sun off the neck while being pretty breathable. I look like a hick in the middle of the suburbs... so about like I normally do I guess.

BBizy and Beach Hiker like this.
  12. designtom

designtom Men Of Action #43 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How many are we talking about?

I frequently resort to going on the offensive. I look a little spastic trying to clap them out of the air, but can frequently get three or so of them in 10 minutes.

Word seems to travel to the rest of the flock/herd/gathering/feeding fest.

If they re-group ......... it's surprising how fast I can still run .............

pellegrino, BBizy and Beach Hiker like this.
  13. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use Deep Woods Off in a spray bottle/spritz bottle. The horse flies were bad the other day on our hike and I used this stuff. It worked. I hate using the stuff, but this wasn’t bad. I spray it on my palms and smear it on so it doesn’t go everywhere. I also sprayed the brim of my hat top and bottom. That helps too.

BBizy and Beach Hiker like this.
  14. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Insect repellents never worked much for me when the deer flies were out. They will never leave you alone. It would seem that there’s hundreds swarming my head when in fact it’s often only a dozen relentlessly attacking.

The trolling fly trap is the only thing that worked for me! Here is the link http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/pestalert/deerfly.htm

You must try this! Most often when hiking the trails behind my home when deer flies were bad, I’d carry an empty blue coffee bucket ( or blue Pringle’s can or solo cup) smeared with tanglefoot and wave it over my head when getting attacked. I’m sure I looked like a total lunatic but it just flat out works. I also did some trolling with my truck in the past as well which helped too.

The other option is to take a dog and let them be the bait and do the suffering for you....they seemed to like dogs more than me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    BBizy, designtom and Beach Hiker like this.
  15. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. I'm fully covered until they're gone.

Man, the ones over here must be in the same union..... exact same schedule!

Thousands?
    Too many to even try to "ignore" or zen your way forward.

BBizy likes this.
  16. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    BBizy likes this.
  17. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For deer flies, putting a blue cup on your head with sticky stuff on it helps a lot, like this;

[​IMG]

18. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve said it many times before - but I’ll say it again. BUSHMAN repellent, sold in Australia. A tube will last you maybe 2 to 4 years depending on how many days you need it.

19. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For the record, this is not a joke. It works.

20. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’ve never done the full on hat trap...I knew I’d forget about it about it and end up with sticky hair and hands. I had tanglefoot on my truck from the times a limb would snag the trap off the antenna:D

I made a trap carrier by filling a blue solo cup with expanding foam and sticking a short piece ( 2ft long) of scrap pvc pipe for the handle. I carried it like a medieval torch. I’d pull off the old cup and stack a new one on as needed. I thought it was a good setup, though still requires carrying by hand. Seems like after you’ve got the flies trapped in a certain area they are completely gone, well at least til you start walking again.

designtom likes this.
  21. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    What is this "sticky stuff"? Any old spray adhesive, or is there a "bait" flavor? :16:

BBizy likes this.
  22. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone tried placing a drier sheet under their hat? I haven't tried it myself, but someone at my work swears by it.