Comfort VS Capacity With CCW?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Watcher of the Woods, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For those of us that choose to carry a firearm daily, do you worry more about comfort or capacity?

I carried a Sig 938 for years. It was comfortable with any clothes I wore, it fit into my HPG Snubby kit bag without issue, but it lacked capacity and I was not nearly as accurate with it as I was with a full size.

I now have a S&W M&P 2.0 compact, same size as a glock 19, that I carry as a primary and is also my home defense weapon. The thing is, it's way heavier. Lately, I've found myself carrying my wife's Sig 238 due to ease of carry.

I guess I see three different situations for carry that may change things.

1) In town CCW, I often carry the 238. Comfort and conceal-ability are my primary concerns. But then I also have that what-if thought. What if .380 isn't enough. What if I need more than those 7 rounds? But, it's better to have a gun than no gun...

2) Hiking trails near town, I often carry my M&P. Coyotes have been really prevalent and have attacked dogs. I carry my M&P with the thoughts of maybe encountering a pack of coyotes, or a 2 legged predator. Would the .380 be sufficient in this situation? Having half the weight in the chest pack really does make a difference.

3) Deep woods, back-country. I always carry the M&P. Hard cast ammo if in bear country. I feel like this is the best option from what I have.

What I've wondered, is would a snubby 357 fill in more voids here? Would that be lighter, easier to carry, and more lethal?

Just wanted to hash this out and see what others thought. What are the factors you consider with carry?

2. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Comfort. If it's not comfortable it won't likely get carried.

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can't answer. I don't carry daily.
    So I guess by that admission, I'm more of a comfort guy.

I weigh, or perhaps play the odds would be better; how many times I've needed a gun, how many times people I know have needed a gun, those that have how many (if any) shots were fired, and all that other good stuff that goes into each individual's decision on what, if anything, to carry.

4. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I carry one I can shoot well. Size depends on the temp and clothing. joe

5. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun so the 380 that you will actually carry is superior to the higher capacity more powerful firearm that gets left in the safe because the weight bothers you to much. With that said if you have a good quality holster and belt a Glock 19 is not uncomfortable to carry and since the S&W 2.0 is about the same size and weight that would apply to that as well. The big thing is you have to dress around the handgun, if you like the tailored look for your shirts and such then that limits what you can carry if you don't mind getting your shirts a size larger than what you need that opens up a lot of possibilities.

It all boils down to what works for you and what you are confident using, but yes theoretically 16 rounds of 9mm with 15 more in each extra mag is better than 7 rounds of 380 with 6 in each extra mag. As far as the 357 magnum snubby goes, I would recommend that you try before you buy because they are a far different firearm as far as recoil, flash and blast than your 380 or 9mm making follow up shots considerably slower, plus most are quite a bit thicker due to the cylinder diameter making them harder to conceal than the semi autos. Something you might want to look at is the Sig P365 it is very compact, slim and has a 10 round standard magazine and a 12 round optional magazine in 9mm.

freebirdfb, jstert, BBizy and 6 others like this.
  6. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Accidentally double posted

7. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can be comfortable when I’m dead

8. SavageJak

SavageJak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Glock 48 or 29 (I'm in a 10 round state) about 85% of the time. I carry a Glock 43 when clothing dictates the most concealment possible (the other 15%). I always carry a spare mag in some way. I am relatively sure I will never need to use a firearm in self defense. The cost of being wrong outweighs any comfort argument IMO.

9. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is exactly where I'm at. Currently I own a glock 19 and have a few holsters for it. I put on some weight and it became uncomfortable to carry daily, so it stays in the safe. I'm working on shedding the pounds, but also am strongly considering a Ruger LCP II for summer carry. 6+1 rounds with OEM 7 round mags now available seems pretty decent for something so small and light.

10. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Both to a point. I won't carry a giant revolver or a 5" 1911 when there are smaller just as capable options if I'm not hunting.
    I do expect to find a good quality holster and good quality gun belt. I never knew what I was giving up or why I wasn't happy before I did either, and I won't settle anymore. And a good holster doesn't have to cost hundreds or have a wait time of six months either. Not saying I can't appreciate several of those options though.

Secondly, I had a Shield .45 which I thought was great in every way, except for the texture. Man that was uncomfortable. I'd have it back but I'm not sanding the grips on a new gun.

As to capacity and comfort. I do find the smaller G43 and single stacks more comfortable, but I prefer to have at least ten rounds in a semi. I loved the G43 with hyve extension, and if it shot as well as it carried for me I'd still have it.
    That being said, I don't find the G26, other similar sized sub compacts, or even G19 or similar sized gins uncomfortable given my holster and belt. Its a non issue for me. Do I appreciate a smaller gun and what it brings, sure, but I like the others fine.

Chosing to carry more or less rounds is a personal thing, neither is wrong.

11. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember exactly how a quote I read by one of the old time gun writers, but it was something like "you carry a gun for comfort, not to be comfortable." I think there are just degrees of comfort & pain. Carrying a gun shouldn't be painful or rub to the point you get a blister & then it's painful. But carrying a gun is always going to come with a bit of discomfort. How much you want to tolerate is up to you.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/supposed-comfortable/

[​IMG]

Then a bit of advice on carrying with a round in the chamber.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/safety/carrying-with-a-round-in-the-chamber-to-do-or-not-to-do/

12. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    What about those who carry more then 1 gun ?

13. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry daily while not at work and where legal.

I just switched from carrying my Beretta 92FS for the last 7 months to my G19. The Beretta was carried to see if it was difficult for me with a larger pistol. I didn’t have a problem. I started carrying the G19 again because I shoot my Glocks better.

I also will carry a S&W 642, Remington RM380, or a Ruger SP101 in my pocket.

freebirdfb, central joe and Oakenhart like this.
  14. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    This ^. I would also add (since this is what I do for a living) that a proper holster and gunbelt will often provide more comfort and better concealment for a larger, higher capacity pistol than you'll experience with a poorly designed/made holster and a smaller weapon.

Another thing to perhaps consider: visualize yourself facing off with some cracked up lunatic armed with a sawed off shotgun. Now ask yourself - do you want a smaller lighter caliber pistol that is harder to shoot and delivers inferior ballistic performance, or a decent sized combat handgun in a realistic caliber? The answer is obvious. Balance that with comfort and concealment (assuming a professional grade concealment rig) and you'll likely choose something like a Glock 19 as your best option. If you are of slight build, then maybe a Glock 48.

15. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    If a crack head is pointing a shotty at me I’m not reaching for my piece... I’ll be reaching for the sky

Fiddlehead, bluecow, Gumbi and 3 others like this.
  16. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not going to trust him to have a benevolent nature and respond kindly to an act of surrender. I'm getting off the X and heading for cover....

Oni, Midwest.Bushlore, Torrin and 3 others like this.
  17. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Damned if you do damned if you don’t

18. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes that's exactly how it plays out. However, having a strong sense of situational awareness will keep you from getting into that position in the first place.

The other thing to remember is that most people don't have a lot of skill with small arms. Even cops (who typically have much more training than the average person) miss an awful lot under the stress of having someone try to kill you. That's part of being human. Thugs almost never have any training and consequently they also have minimal skill - they just point and blast away. There's a good chance if you move suddenly they're gonna shoot where you were, not where you are.

19. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Unless you are an ‘expert’ you probably won’t need 15 rounds to stop one attacker. If you do shoot more than a couple, you probably can’t hit anything anyway, so capacity is a moot point. I hope to avoid crowds of attacking zombies. Remember to save a round or two for yourself just in case you do encounter a mob of zombies. :rolleyes:

20. Jeffa

Jeffa Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry the M&P Shield, I have a 9mm and 40 barrel for it, so I can shoot either out of the same pistol. 10 rounds magazines are a little hard to carry, but can be done. Its a very small package. I have an S&W Lcomp 7 round 357, but I hardly ever carry it. Its pretty compact, but with an easy to shoot full size bite at a 3inch barrel it is very shootable, not like a snubby. Snubbys are ruff. I think the Shield with a 10 round is a small carry with maximum capacity.

Both pistols shoot just as well as a full size pistol for me. I tell ya one thing tho, If I ever have to shoot it in self defense I couln't tell ya what I can hit. Maybe nothing. But I train and hope that will help.

Torrin, BBizy and central joe like this.
  21. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Once upon a time a particular law enforcement agency put 33 hits on target into a biker high on pcp. (Illinois State Police IIRC) He continued to shoot at the cops until one of them took his head off with a round of 00 buck......Said biker was dead on his feet, but continued to fire due to Adrenalin and angel dust... This is actually not all that uncommon.

One of the guys who trained me survived 20+ gunfights as a homicide detective. He ended up serving as a consultant to the FBI's weapon selection committee and authored not one but two text books on gunfighting and the effects of terminal ballistics on humans. He personally told me the following, "there's no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight". I'll take his advice every time.

22. kukusya

kukusya Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Comfort depends on holster quality, not on size gun. I can easily carry AIWB g43x or 17 under t-shirt.

BBizy, NevadaBlue and central joe like this.
  23. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Trying to decide between comfort and capacity is like trying to play russian roulette with a semi-auto -- no way to win! :18:

NevadaBlue and central joe like this.
  24. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

So from your once upon a time story you carry a shotgun? That would be the logical conclusion.

There is compromise in everything just like there are extenuating circumstances.
    If I run into a charging bear I would rather have rifle, then my 44mag, then my .357... and didn't we just read about a bear killed from a 9mm? But which am I most likely to be carrying in order to enjoy the day? And how often am I likely to run into a charging bear.

But I do understand the argument that more firepower is better. It is. Especially if it's needed.

25. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    To quote John Farnam: "Carry a handgun to fight your way to your rifle or shotgun".... If circumstances permit. Otherwise, carry a sh*tload of spare mags :)

26. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

I took a couple of his courses back in the eighties. He joked about how it wouldn't be a bad idea to have spare magazines duct taped to the bottom of mailboxes, dumpsters and other locations around town. But back then we knew he was joking.
    Of course now with high capacity mags and lighter pistols you can carry as much as your heart desires on your person. But your point being, it still might not be enough. Thirty-three hits but it took a shotgun to the head to end it.

But yes, given the choice I'd always prefer a long gun. It's just not always practical to carry. Just like it's not always practical to carry a G17 and two spare mags.

Gratuitous pick of your namesake :)
    Defender and Brommeland.jpg

27. Drop Cord

Drop Cord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Better a .22lr you'll carry every day than a .45ACP that always gets left at home.

28. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the pic. I will concede your point regarding the incident that I cited. However, I believe that a CNS hit from a 9 would have likely had the same effect.......

Park Swan, woodsranger and PAcanis like this.
  29. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My question to everyone who has posted....how many times have you actually fired your weapon at another person? Or for that matter, displayed it in a defensive situation?

LazyPK, BBizy, 66drifter and 3 others like this.
  30. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got to ask why? I’m sure there is some info coming but it peaks my curiosity.

I carry a Glock 48 with attached light and a Glock 43 as an ankle gun but my business requires it. Off duty usually just the 48. I don’t believe for the average citizen capacity matters much, actually carrying a gun would be more important. If you think about places most people go and what’s behind the target the less rounds fired the better. In an off duty situation my goals are quick incapacitation or quickly breaking contact. If I’m pinned down in a firefight off duty it’s a bad day.

Noblesavage, Torrin, BBizy and 2 others like this.
  31. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry a S&W M&P 2.0 compact with a spare mag everyday. Honestly I should have bought the full size if not the 5” version. I shoot full size guns better (obviously). I’m not a huge guy 5’9” 175 but a good holster and a good belt is what matters. I want a gun I shoot very well and isn’t a compromise I’ve tried smaller guns and against a timer and specific accuracy standards/drills there not as fast and give up some accuracy (not mechanical accuracy but shooter accuracy) for me. Could I overcome those probably but why when a full-size ish gun works for me. Carry what you want but shoot it often and get training.

NevadaBlue and woodsranger like this.
  32. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Zero to both.

But even though I've never been in a serious auto accident I still wear a seat belt. Because...you can't predict the future.

And even though I've never needed to use my firearm for defense, I still carry because...same reason.

33. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I feel it's disingenuous to compare a civilian carrying a self defense pistol to police officers who run towards the messed up situation. Not trying to start any fights here and I think the discussion is valuable.

Cops in my area carry Glock 22s with 3 mags. They can carry backup guns, but are not issued them. Many have ARs in the squad cars and again, are going towards a bad situation. So yeah, if I was a cop I'd want as much as I could carry. On a belt, outside the waist band. Not exactly concealed, right?

I've read of some situations where a civilian simply produced the gun and the altercation ceased. Makes me wonder if in a regular Joe situation if anyone has been killed due to not having enough gun.

I stand by my original comment. I'd rather be armed than not. And if I can't currently conceal my main carry, I need another option. Until I can get rid of these damn love handles. Stupid desk job!

Oakenhart, jstert and NevadaBlue like this.
  34. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A snubby 357 would not fill in any more voids IMHO. I'm a revolver guy, and have had lots of snubbies ... the scandium, polymer, aluminum ones are a joy to carry in a remora holster. But the devil to shoot. I have a model 60, all steel, 357 snubby that is beautiful and only slightly pulls my pants down in a remora. But with double the weight of other snubbies, its still not pleasant to practice with. I find I'll put it down and finish up my 357 defense loads in a k or l frame. Cast soup cans in a 38 case are pleasant, and accurate in it - but not what I'd carry for SD. And I'm of the mind that you should be comfortable shooting your SD loads in practice. So I tried the 327 route, and that was much better in a snubby, especially the SP101. But better still has been the LCPII. Its the kind of thing you can carry all the time, and just add a K/L frame 357 to it if you're hiking in predator country. JMO.

Ptpalpha, Torrin, aaronu and 3 others like this.
  35. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They eat brains, I’m safe.

36. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I also have to ask why you ask...

How many times have you ‘used’ a seatbelt to save your life? A life preserver? A blood pressure cuff?
    It is just common sense to take precautions. Carrying a handgun is simply another bit of insurance. It may or may not pay off, like any insurance.

37. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    While a lot can be learned from police shoot outs with criminals, you have to realize that the average Joe is simply not going to be putting themselves into those situations. The cops there are basically "looking for trouble", as it were.

There are a lot of people who seem to think that, going about their daily business, it's a very real possibility that they're going to be assaulted by a whole squad of Spetsnaz commandos, or are going to suddenly find themselves shooting it out with the Crips and the Bloods.... "you never know!!!"... and they have high-capacity guns and pockets full of magazines that they carry every day, and think anyone who does any less than they do are crazy and have a death wish or something because stepping outside their door so poorly armed is virtual suicide. Woe be unto anyone who dares to state the fact that almost all individual self defense confrontations are resolved with VERY FEW shots fired... if any. "But, but, what if....?" If one wishes to go around every day carrying 100 rounds of ammo, more power to them, I suppose, but honestly, for most of us, it is simply not practical, nor comfortable.. nor necessary. If you really do live in such a potentially violent environment, then by all means, arm yourself to the teeth... and I do feel sorry for you, and would advise you to GET OUT at all costs!

Frankly, I think people would be much better served by learning to be wary of their environment and the people around them. Watch who is around you. Don't let anybody get too close. Don't let yourself get trapped. Do not look like a victim. Pay attention to the way others are behaving. See the bad guy before he sees you. Be wary of, and avoid obviously potentially dangerous people and situations, even if it is politically incorrect to do so. I find that most people are utterly oblivious to the dangers around them. OBVIOUS dangers... and then when they're hit, they're stunned because "they didn't see it coming". Some might think I'm paranoid, but believe me, I'll probably see it coming...and do my best to avoid it. Of course, there sometimes really are things that pop up out of the blue, but I do think that these situations can still be GREATLY minimized simply by paying attention.

For me, "concealed" means only one thing. Pocket carry. There is no way I can wear an inside the pants holster, and I do NOT wear an untucked shirt. Ever. About the only thing I can get in my pocket is a .38 Chief's Special (some of the small autos would fit, of course, but I think they simply all suck), so it's that and one reload in the other pocket. It does start to rub uncomfortably on my leg, but it'll have to do. Plus, when you actually work for a living, a gun can kinda get in the way. If I'm not worried about concealing, then it's a genuine, full size .45 on my belt, or some other big, honkin' gun, because I can.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  38. 11C1P

11C1P Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also in virtually all situations now days where any type of threat or perceived threat is present, a cop drawing his gun isn't in any danger of getting arrested for it, a civilian, not so much. Also cops pretty much always wear body armor too, unless off duty. Most civilians, even ones who EDC don't wear body armor very often, if at all. Same thing with the military, we had helmets, body armor, LOTS of firepower & could usually call for fire support. Civilians aren't going to be calling in an A-10 for a gun run or call in an artillery or mortar fire mission.

aaronu and jstert like this.
  39. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd go comfort over capacity, and practice practice practice. But I'll OC my 1911, or when I reup my permit, CC my Makarov.

Ptpalpha and Plainsman like this.
  40. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    i carry what is comfortable to practice alot with and lawfully conceal in socially gun unfriendly locales. i had a lousy first time handgun experience in the early 70s with a clapped out, dirty m1911 and a nasty army drill sergeant that turned me into a wheel gunner (though a newly discovered sig p238 has a decent chance to become a ccw). i avoid places with two or four legged apex predators, and crowds in general, but i consistently ccw because predators don’t avoid prey. some aphorisms that govern my ccw habits: a hit with a 22 trumps a miss with anything. no pistol ammo generates concussive shock waves or shrapnel that would make a miss still effective. i’m not a soldier or a cop, so i’m getting away from, not engaging, bad guys. a handgun left secured isn’t a ccw. nobody likes to be shot or even shot at.

my biggest usual ccw is a 38sp taurus or s&w snubbie loaded with soft shooting wadcutters. my always ccw, primary or backup, is a naa survival mini 22lr. i may ccw a ruger lcr or s&w 317, both 22lr. in cold weather with gloved hands tooling around outdoors i may ccw a triggerguard-less bond arms derringer.

years ago i had to unholster a ccw with intent once when cornered at arm’s length in a riot. the bad guys turned ashen gray, dropped their rocks and ran. i scooted away too. it was bad, if i hadn’t been armed i wouldn’t be here now. my ccw was a five shot 38sp taurus 85. yeah bigger and more would have been better, but the snubbie was all that i could manage.

aaronu likes this.
  41. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    The last I heard, cops in the US are also civilians. A citizen who is not in law enforcement is in many ways in a similar situation to an off-duty LEO - they probably have no body armor, no partner, no other form of back-up and no long arm. They're on their own.

While circumstances may dictate that the LEO cannot disengage and must press forward with contact due to a legal or moral sense of duty and obligation, a citizen may find themselves in a situation in which they also have a practical or moral imperative/duty to protect themselves and/or a loved one and are not any more able to break contact than the LEO because to do so is to lose their own life or that of a loved one if circumstances do not allow for escape.

So, lets remove the issue of having a badge or not and look at the cold, harsh reality that a man or woman can easily find themselves faced with: an armed opponent or opponents who is/are intent on killing them and/or other innocent parties. Handguns, while portable and concealable - pretty much suck with regards to stopping power. Shot placement is key to incapacitating an attacker and that may take multiple rounds for even a well trained and highly competent shooter under the stress involved. Given this fact, capacity is a much more important factor than an untrained person may realize in surviving a lethal force engagement with a bad guy.

Personally, I am not in favor of some politician/bureaucrat (who are usually themselves guarded by armed and highly trained personnel) deciding for me what I need, in my circumstances to protect my life and the lives of my family. That's why I have the training and skills necessary to make these decisions for myself in an informed, ethical, legal and responsible manner.

Torrin, Lee C., BBizy and 1 other person like this.
  42. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with much of what you've said here. However, I just read an account of a home invasion in a very small town in Florida in which a sixty something year old man confined to a wheel chair had to deal with four armed home invaders. He shot and killed the first two, the remaining two fled. He used an AR pattern carbine which (according to media, entertainment, political and some Internet "experts") "nobody needs".

This case demonstrates that people and their individual circumstances are all different. What if a person has severe arthritis and cannot reload a weapon because their hands are incapable of making the necessary movements under short time constraints? They have to deal with the threat with what's in the gun without reloading. How about the LA riots? The businesses that did not get burned to the ground were owned by some folks who guarded them from their rooftops with Mini-14's.

The bottom line to what I am saying is simply this: everyone is responsible for their own safety and that of loved ones. Each person bears the responsibility of the decisions they make: To get training, or not? To practice & develop skills learned in training, or not? To carry a weapon, or not. To carry an adequate weapon, or not - we must all live with the consequences of those decisions. We must also be prepared to die or lose a loved one as a consequence of those decisions if we choose poorly.

Torrin, Sandcut, Lee C. and 1 other person like this.
  43. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think it's been stated already on this thread, but none of it matters if you don't practice with what you carry.

44. Redbullitt

Redbullitt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I carry what I'm most effective with should I need it, tempered of course by what I CAN carry in the situation.

That said, I do gravitate towards a g19 or 17 sized pistol if at all possible. G20 if critters are in play. I simply shoot those pistols better by a noticeable margin, and I'm more confident I could shoot them under stress.

Simply put, carry the weapon you are the best with. That's how I think of it at least. This does involve some comfort concessions, but that's your own judgement call to make.

I carried a snub nose ruger sp101 in 357 for a long time. An lcr gets pocket carry sometimes, but again, I'd much prefer the g19, not just for capacity, but for speed and accuracy. Capacity is a very nice plus though... Bad things don't always come in singles or pairs, so I try to cover as many bases as I can, and thinking that, the larger capacity pistol looks even better.

Chances are you never need that capacity, and hope hope hope that's how it goes... but I think we all know that's just not how it works. I select what works best for my hands. You should do the same, be it a 5 shot 32, a 22lr, 50gi, 10mm, or whatever. Pretty much any firearm is better than bare hands and a pocket knife if you need one!

Your 380, with good bullets, will work if you hit well... just like all the other handgun calibers out of pistol barrels. I've trusted a 380 with the gummy tipped Hornady loads before. It all just comes down to your comfort level with it.

In my head, I think... what would I rather be shooting back at someone trying to shoot holes in me.... I never think of a snub or pocket auto there first, but if that's my only option, let's do it. Beats what most people carry lol.

A good holster and belt go a long way to getting and keeping a larger pistol on you. It may never be super comfortable like a little scandium air weight, but it is comforting for sure.

45. Aknative

Aknative Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually conceal carry a Glock model 30 or model 20, but would like something smaller and less blocky for hot days.

It doesn't really matter, as long as you have it with you when you need it.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  46. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Comfort, not much chance of a more than 2 or 3 shot shoot out if that up here in Northern New England.

Moe M., jstert and bluecow like this.
  47. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not about to tell someone else which firearm they should carry...or how much ammo should be on one's person. The variables are too great. An LEO who has been in multiple shootouts isn't even in sync with most other LEOs, let alone the average concealed carry civilian. I can appreciate how veterans of that much combat would make very different choices about "adequate" concealed carry tools and capacity of same. Similarly, if I lived in an area where violent crime was very high, my choices for carry would reflect that as well. As stated by earlier posts, concealed carry choices are always about trade-offs. But whatever choice we make, proficiency with the chosen tool shouldn't be optional. I'd rather focus discussion about concealed carry choices around this very practical part of the decision. If you can't smoothly and reliably place shots at reasonable self-defense distances, then, in my opinion, THAT's where you should be investing time and attention. (Full disclosure: the opinion you have just read comes from somebody who never got closer to combat than watching re-runs of Hogan's Heroes.)

PC

48. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I carry what would be considered high capacity in a full size gun, 15+1 and a 20 round spare. It's not just the possibility of having to defend myself from one or five threats while out and about. I'm also concerned with finding myself in a longer term situation away from home. That could be as simple as a car accident in a remote place, severe weather, natural disaster, etc.

Ptpalpha, masiaka, Sandcut and 2 others like this.
  49. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree. 5 rnd revolver or 17 rnd mag. If you can't hit what you are pointing at it doesn't matter.
    As far as comfort, if you determine you need a gun then a little discomfort is manageable. But a ccw that isn't concealed may make you target number one.
    So I'd say a gun you can quickly point and hit with is first (you probably won't aim if really threatened).
    Next concealability,
    Next comfort.

PeterCartwright likes this.
  50. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm right there with Peter Cartwright. First priority is ability to get in into action quickly and accurately.

Next is power (within reason). Then concealability. After that, capacity (minimum 5 rounds). Comfort is a function of the carry system, not the gun. I can't think of any typical defensive handgun that can't be carried comfortably with proper holster and belt.

All those in the second paragraph are negotiable, but the first is not.