Compass and whistle set I made (suggestions)

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by MountainMan706, Jan 9, 2017.

1. MountainMan706

MountainMan706 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

I made this compass and whistle set that has a compass, whistle, key to my truck and a carabiner so that I can attache the set to my belt loop. I am thinking of adding some water tables and maybe some Ibuprofen. I know that I could add a lot lot more stuff but I want to keep it as small/light as possible. I am looking for any suggestions people have so I can consider to what to possibly add.

This set up is very easy/good. I can use the compass with quick access, I can whistle for my dog to come back. It keeps my key convenient for when I get back from a hike to open the truck. I may only use the whistle or the compass once or twice per hike but it is there for easy access.

I wrapped black athletic tape around the top knot and bottom knot to make sure they are secure. I'd add the Ibuprofen or water tablets inside the bandanna and tape them in as well. I am using a full pack or a day pack at the same time this is just a little tool I use to keep a few tools close at hand. I also keep a stopwatch (to keep track of time in and out) which I have on another carabiner and also keep a Delorme SOS/GPS in my pack at all times.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Instead of attaching it to your belt loop, I would attach it to your belt with a loop/toggle system.
    I've lost items attached that way you have described after whacking through heavy brush.
    Otherwise, I like very much where you are going with this!

DarrylM and DavidJAFO like this.
  3. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    Yes, that is a good idea.

On another thread I will post about how I attach my Delorme if I am wearing a vest an not a heavy pack. Basically I attach it with paracord. You wouldn't think you need it but there have been a couple of examples that it helped. Also, my dog leash has been attached to a belt loop that was pulled off an he only weighs 35 pounds.

DavidJAFO and MrFixIt like this.
  4. ChrisOCLM

ChrisOCLM Knife Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe add a small fero rid of some sort. That way you have fire also. I always carry a lighter with me in my pocket, but I also have a very small fero on my key chain just in case.

DavidJAFO likes this.
  5. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It is such a slippery slope when adding things to little kits like that! I tried a few mini PSKs in small heavy duty ziploc bags fir the inside of my Tilley hats, they got heavy quick.

I would put ibuprofen, benadryl (I have allergies at times), and immodium (because you never know)

I like the idea of a tiny ferro rod and a scraper.

MrFixIt likes this.
  6. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    I dont have the skills at this time to use a ferro rod.....
    And yes, I probably would put benadryl too actually, for stomach cramps from bad food, it helps with that too

MrFixIt and Pastor Chris like this.
  7. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    We should meet up. Not only will I show you how, I'll gift you a nice one.

Barry J and ChrisOCLM like this.
  8. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    yes i was hoping there would be a North Georgia Meetup soon
    but if you wanted to come up for a hike/camp one day we could do that too
    or i could come there also

MrFixIt likes this.
  9. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    If you do decide to come down near Athens, please let me know!

10. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would consider using heat shrink tubing on the knots instead of electrical tape to prevent gooey tape mess. Just don't use marine grade shrink tubing as it has adhesive inside.

11. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    wow, thanks

12. Barry J

Barry J Scout

Blog Posts:
    The quickest way to learn how to use a ferro rod; just take a cotton ball and rub some petroleum jelly on it (petroleum acts as a fire extender). Now rough up the cotton ball so it becomes fluffy, then scrape your ferro rod over the cotton ball. You can put some of these petroleum treated cotton balls in a plastic pill bottle. It is super easy, and I encourage you to try this.
    Also, save all of your expired petroleum jelly based lip balms, salves or wound dressings. These can all be used as fire extenders.
    You may want to consider using pieces of inner tube (ranger bands) in place of the tape. Inner tube rubber can be used as a fire starter and burns pretty hot.

13. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    Look I dont know how else to say it because this confuses me. If you are going to use Petroleum to help start a fire, why not just go ahead and use a lighter instead? (Is using petroleum just a transition step as you learn?)

14. Barry J

Barry J Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes it is a transition. But it also provides a lot more heat than a lighter. It also is not a mechanical devise. Once I got the hang of starting a fire with the cotton balls, it allowed me to experiment with other tender. I still carry the petroleum jelly cotton balls though, because they are so efficient at getting a fire started. Even if you prefer to just use a lighter, they are still very useful for conserving your primary resource (lighter).
    I forgot to mention: I have heard that the cotton balls can be ignited with just the spark from the lighter, should you run out of fluid. I have not tried this, but see no reason why it would not work.

15. MountainMan706

Blog Posts:
    oh ok
    as of now i carry the storm proof matches in my emergency kit an use a lighter or regualr matches and save the storm proof ones.

I would like to make improvements in my skills however

Barry J likes this.