1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Compound or traditional bows?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by THRsucks, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish more people had the mentality that, “I won’t hunt until I’m good enough to ethically kill animals.” I give props to the guys who will give up years of hunting to get good with a trad bow. I remember being in awe of this guy I was hunting with once, beautiful longbow, homemade arrows.....after a morning of not seeing anything, I set up a pop bottle 12 yards away cause I just wanted to see him shoot. He missed by 12 inches...I didn’t hunt with him anymore cause I had visions of long, unsuccessful tracking jobs. I know all bows should be practiced with, but trad gear really needs a dedicated shooter.

Plainsman and jasam like this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Traditional for me. I once picked up my brother in law's compound, having not touched a bow in about 20+ years, and put 3 arrows into a 5" group at 25 yards in his deer dummy. He was dumbfounded... But a trigger's a trigger, and his sights were dead on. To me, there is little challenge in this.

I pretty much suck with a traditional bow. I do all my shooting at 10 yards, occasionally stretching it to 15. Some (few) days I can put 5 arrows, one each into the quarter sized spots on my target, at about 10 yards. Other days I can shoot 3 groups of 15 arrows and have 13/15 in an 8" group. Still other days I'll shoot a vertical group of 15 arrows 16" long with only about 2" of side deviation... and other days I miss the target entirely with my first arrow and can't put together a 15" group with 15 arrows. But every year I get better and better.

jasam likes this.
  3. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    AGREED!

Agree as well!

I switched from compound to recurve completely back in 1990 and haven’t looked back since!