Computer help?!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by MT_Fin, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seconded. Go Linux, never look back.

It's a highly appropriate OS for anyone into self reliance IMO. It's incredibly nice, not to mention a lot of fun, to actually have ownership and control of your digital computing life. Proprietary operating systems won't give you that, by design, and aren't superior by any measure other than "easy of use" (and then, only if you are ignorant of computers and dead set on staying that way, which, imo, is the kind of laziness that just makes life more work in the long term).

MT_Fin, JasonJ and basher1981 like this.
  2. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been pleased with Linux Mint on a few systems.. for personal use. Professionally (I'm an IT admin by trade...) integrating a lot of our applications and system processes into a Linux environment would be 50/50 successful or even possible right now.

Certainly all that you say is true, but it does rely on the user also being the admin of their own system, even if just at home... you need to pay attention and apply your own system updates, software upgrades, pay attention to compatibility lists, troubleshoot issues to a more in depth degree than the average user. Those aren't bad things by any means... but it's a lot more work and effort, and a lot more learning of the system than typical people are willing to do.

As you said, people are lazy. Most don't even want to know how their car works or how to change a flat tire.. "I put the key in, I put gas in it, I press the button to start it and turn it off, everything else should be done for me" is how they roll..

Society is getting both more technologically advanced and stupider by the year.

MT_Fin likes this.
  3. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the help everyone.

As for some of the last comments, I don’t think not having the knowledge to use or desire to learn a new system (like linux) makes you stupid or lazy. I have zero knowledge of that and no time, interest, or desire to learn it at the moment either. I’m neither stupid or lazy, rather I have much more important things to do with my time. It’s a cost benefit scenario for me.

Or maybe I’m so stupid that I don’t even know I’m lazy.......either way.

blind & lost and JasonJ like this.
  4. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    No, it's not the latter.. as you say, no desire or interest out of better things to do. I've advocated earlier in this post and elsewhere that there is a benefit to the so-called walled garden of Apple's systems too.. people don't want to spend time learning the guts of a computer system to fix it themselves all the time, it should just work. That's where I'm at with my personal equipment. I spend enough time screwing around with Windows Server and VMware virtual environments that when I want or need to use technology, it had best better just work without giving me fits.

I am dedicated to using an iPhone for this reason. People are aghast that "an IT guy" would not be using some sort of rooted, custom ROM android phone.. pfft! Screw that. I don't need third-party apps out of God knows what country sideloaded onto my phone crashing it every half hour and spying on me when it does work.

It would be an error to say that anyone who doesn't want to geek out on something like a Linux box is lazy.. and I apologize if that was implied in my more recent postings. It certainly is not true. Perhaps in fully agreeing with Luke, I err'd in stating so. I hadn't considered disinterest due to other factors, such as time commitment, priority of things in ones life, or any personal reasons that could go unstated.

I apologize for over generalizing with terms like "most", "people", and "society" in too broad a meaning.

MT_Fin likes this.
  5. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No worries, you are good brother. I'm just sarcastic and ornery today

JasonJ likes this.
  6. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Tracker

Blog Posts:

I'd actually agree with all of that, with the difference that, for me personally, I find the walled garden locked-down approach frustrating as it just gets in my way for me and what I want to do with computers generally (even for simple, not so technical tasks that I just simply want to do in a particular way).

But, my point was not to assert that people who don't learn computers are lazy; just that it's not as difficult as most think, and that it makes your computing life easier and more convenient in the long run. I do appreciate that not everyone has the time or will to immediately do that right now, though. Just intending to give a little nudge to anyone who might be inclined or recognize the benefits of doing so :)

In the specific case of Linux, I think it is great for two ends of the spectrum: people who have never used a computer before but are keen on learning, and people who already are very advanced computer users. It's easy to set up a system for, say, Grandma to do basic web browsing or emails, or kids to play with, and it's easy to use for any more advanced user, but it's the middle ground users who I think struggle: the ones that have more complex needs in computing but aren't quite keen on relearning how to do that on a new OS, or relearning new applications. I guess what is exciting, fun, and liberating for some is just unnecessary work for others.

JasonJ and MT_Fin like this.
  7. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Back everything up on an external hard drive, I don't put anything on the computer that I don't want to lose.

Luke Dupont and JasonJ like this.
  8. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Backup backup backup and then when you think you're sure and good to go, backup again! Always excellent advice!

Cloud service, external drive, shared network location, all three or just two.. always have MORE THAN ONE BACKUP IN AT LEAST TWO LOCATIONS, ONE OF WHICH IS OFFSITE.

Luke Dupont likes this.