Conceal carry a "big" pistol.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Birdman, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Spinning off of the 3 trunk guns thread.
    Like mentioned there, leaving a firearm in a car or truck is a questionable action. Its illegal in some states as well.
    My take on it, is carry the biggest / most accurate pistol you can. Then there is no need for a trunk/truck gun. I feel like a lot of people feel like if it's not the lightest polymer, double stack, compact auto, it can't be a carry gun. I'm a 1911 and revolver guy. I'm also a little dude. 5'8, 150lbs. Even so, I can conceal a 1911 very easily. I can even conceal my 4-5/8 Blackhawk easily and comfortably. With said pistol, I can dance a can at 25yd, and hit a deer target all day at 75yd. Add a shooting stick in to the mix, and the group's get tighter, and range farther. So instead of a truck/trunk gun, why not a capable pistol, and stash varying loads in the car/truck?

Attached Files:

jasam, savage99nc, SmilinJoe and 10 others like this.
  2. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know why my pics are uploading as docs.

3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you open carry there?

Edited to add, those are Birdman's pics I posted for him.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  4. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like the Glock 29 subcompact 10mm. You can shoot 200 grain hard cast that will go through any car door or 165 hollow points that wont have the penetration but a ton of energy. The G29 is small and carries 10 +1 of close to 357 magnum power. Revolvers are great but having 10 powerful rounds in a small package is awesome. Plus you can have different magazines loaded for different occasions.
    Night sights are a good addition.

savage99nc, central joe, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good pic of a large gun not able to be concealed under a T shirt ;) (the second pic)
    Oh, that's not what you were going for? lol (just jokin' with ya)

Yes, some people carry larger pistols.
    I knew a gun shop guy that appendix carries a Gov't model 1911. He didn't have to bend over while at work and admitted to it.

I haven't been following the trunk gun thread, but whatever happened to the saying you use a pistol to fight to your long gun?
    Given the choice of engaging something at 25 yds with whatever gun I want, it's not going to be a pistol. But if that's all I had...

savage99nc, Lode, central joe and 6 others like this.
  6. Wasp

Wasp Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree about leaving a firearm in the car/truck, unless its in a proper locked container and isn't for an extended period. I like a handgun and that's usually what I carry, but it still isn't a rifle and cant do what a rifle can-as well.

I have left my handgun in my truck for a few minutes when I've gone in a gas station thst didn't allow firearms, but never went where I couldn't see the truck. If somewhere doesn't allow guns, they don't usually get my business with few exceptions.

A few years ago a local town had a bunch of car robberies at night, I think in a few days there were a half dozen guns stolen from vehicles. A few months later and the same thing happened a few blocks away, but with more guns stolen. One guy had $5,000 worth of guns, mostly two ARs stolen from his truck. His truck was in the garage with the door shut, but his sons car was in the drivewy with the garage remote. He was lucky after the news story ran the guy turned in guns he "found".

I wish we still lived in a world where you could put your gun in your vehicle, I grew up with people having guns in window racks. These days people don't respect anyone elses property.

savage99nc, cek, Cornhusker and 9 others like this.
  7. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
  8. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I wish for a world where we could keep our rifle on the saddle ;)

9. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I heard that. I ride a motorcycle so its close. Lol

10. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Just move to Nevada, no problem.

Vegas is part of California, by the way...

11. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
  12. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Appreciate it!
    Yes, Oregon is an open carry state. However we have county ordinances that make open carry illegal without having a ccl. Its also very frowned upon in the Portland metro area, so just draws unnecessary attention.

13. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Neat Scottman, cool cartridge. I experimented with making my own x25 cases out of 223 cases. Can be done and is a nice cartridge too.

Squirrelhunter and central joe like this.
  14. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    IF I carried any...guns...in the truck...I would leave them there......
    BUT it would be the Hi-point and Mossberg.......Not anything expensive.

15. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you necessarily need a "Big Pistol". I can carry a 1911 (but prefer 4"), I've carried a Vaquero Birdshead in .45 which was heavy but not high capacity.

I think you should carry whatever you can conceal and shoot well, and what you are most comfortable with regarding taking care of a given situation. With that being said I often carried a J Frame, and I've carried numerous single stacks. Currently my most carried are my Sig 239 or G43, and soon an SP101, all in 9mm, I have faith in them or they wouldn't be on my hip. I like the G19 too but I am more accurate with my Sig.

I also don't believe caliber is nearly as relevant as everyone makes it out to be, being able to handle said firearm, recoil, and putting rounds on target are far more important. Im fine with recoil in larger calibers, but I can shoot and put rounds where I want them better with my 9s, and I have faith in the round. If someone feels they need a .50 AE DE thats fine with me, but dont criticize someones mom if they need to carry and shoot a .22.

We all have to make our own best choice.

16. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    To me it's not about losing the gun regardless the cost, I can replace them now or eventually. It would be knowing that I left a gun where someone else got it and will likely, eventually, use it to hurt someone, likely an innocent person.

Its been worrying me sending my gun to Ruger because it is out of my control, a position I've never been in, and I'm more afraid of it falling into the wrong hands than getting lost/stolen.

17. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I am glad that there are others here who understand what handguns are for.

And, this old grandpa carries a 22 most of the time (actually two of them, just because) and you probably don't want to test the old man. Like Wasp said, be capable with the gun you carry and don't worry about the rest of it. :14:

18. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I understand what you are saying. As for a cheap truck gun my brother in law learned this lesson at a Bass Pro (that is part of a mall) no less. The gun stolen from his truck was his Grandpas (or maybe great grandpa can't remember which) 16ga shotgun. Something basically irreplaceable sentiment.

In today's legal world the ccw should be used to evade rather than to turn a defensive situation into and offensive attack from the long gun stuffed in your trunk. But then if you have to retrieve said long gun than do it.than you have too.

19. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't agree......I want it there for my use....
    What the rest of world does is not my concern...

Capin JRo and central joe like this.
  20. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I don't consider fighting back in defense and "offensive situation". I follow the law and keep up with it, and will try to do the right thing, but I don't plan to use my CC just to hide/evade simply for legal reasons, that can get you killed. If I go to prison for the rest of my life for doing what is right, then so be it.

Im not suggesting you shouldn't use your head here. Plenty of scenarios that could/would require you to retrieve your rifle for defense which is what most people mean when they say "use your handgun to fight to truck to get your rifle". That doesn't mean a guy in the alley pulled a gun on you so when its over you get your gun and return to the alley. Still plenty of reasons you could in fact need a rifle to defend yourself or someone else.

21. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
  22. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Wasp summed it up pretty well.

central joe and NevadaBlue like this.
  23. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I guess I didn't understand your OP.
    I thought you were spinning off the trunk thread. That you were stating how having a large pistol was just as capable as having a long gun in general, not just in a vehicle.

I didn't mean to use a handgun in a vehicle to fight your way to the trunk... not unless you have to, lol. Heck, if I'm in my vehicle, I'm driving away :)

It's common gun forum banter to see using the handgun on your night table to fight your way to your rifle/carbine/shotgun in the safe (or less accessible).
    That's what I meant. That generally speaking, aside from concealed carry, the long gun is a better option.

central joe and freebirdfb like this.
  24. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    They can be accessible without being available to everyone if they're secured. Thats all I'm saying.

Saying you want them there for you and who cares if someone else gets ahold of them or uses them isnt much different from saying I dont want to lock my guns up at home, dont care if my kids or their friends play with them regardleess of the outcome.

central joe and NevadaBlue like this.
  25. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg

26. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry no pic but back in the day Blade Tec made me a custom Kydex holster for a 5” S&W 629. It had a slight can’t forward and was a great carry rig for a big gun.

27. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    A capable handgun definitely is not a long gun. However, if you can accurately shoot a handgun at 75yds, why bother with the hassle and legality of leaving a long gun in your car at all times.
    That was my point.

To add, the reason I've switched to single actions, is I've found that when I'm under stress, the manual cycling calms me down and allows me to take a better shot. Doesn't mean my Blackhawk is any more accurate than my fullsize 1911, but the manual of arms makes me so.

28. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I can hit a target at 50+, but not put them exactly where I want, which you can do with a rifle [sights, scope, red dot].
    Of course if you get hit with a .357 anywhere even at 75 yards....lol

29. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Correct.

We certainly seem to have two different topics going on here.

So you are strictly speaking regarding a vehicle?
    Then yes, a large handgun would suit some people just fine.
    Many people carry "pistols" with a short barrel and arm brace for just that fact. To avoid the legalities of carrying a long gun in their vehicles.
    I'd be suspect of anyone trying to tell me that they can engage multiple targets with the same precision at 75 yards (your number) with a 1911 compared to a Sig PM400 or Draco though. I'd want the extra shots the magazine afforded.

But it's America. We've got choices.

central joe, NevadaBlue and Wasp like this.
  30. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I can't agree with someone who doesn't care if a dirtbag steals his gun. I know I will come looking for the legal owner if something like that were to cause harm to one of my family members. I am also sure that others would agree. Responsible gun ownership is one of the main problems today, there is too little of it. Being responsible for a gun includes keeping it where the likelihood of being stolen is minimized. A car or truck is NOT that place.

ManyHammers, Birdman, x39 and 3 others like this.
  31. Southerncomfort

Southerncomfort Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Glock 21 with and extra mag on my pack.

32. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    If you read my post.....I said IF I carried them in a vehicle....mine are CCW's, on me.

That said....IF they steal the car and run into someone .....that will still not prevent me from parking my car....when I not driving.

And to suggest that I have no regard for gun safety....is just your words....not mine

33. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Well, I didn't accuse you or quote you, but, what you said was you didn't care what the rest of the world does. Nor do I, but you left the impression that it was OK with you if people did leave guns in vehicles and didn't care. I DO care about that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

34. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't saying you didn't, I'm sure you do.

"that will still not prevent me from parking my car....when I not driving."
    But you take the keys and usually lock the door right?

35. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You see people doing that all the time in NM and AZ. Open and vehicle (or horseback) carry of a loaded gun are legal. To conceal it, NM requires a license, AZ doesn't. CO and UT also have similar laws. I don't know about farther north in the Rocky Mtn states, but they are probably the same too. CA has is a very different culture, with much more restrictive laws.

rattleweed likes this.
  36. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    No worries...we do agree on gun safety....that should be on the top of everyone list.
    Buy firearms, you have the responsibility for them.

But I refuse to live my life worrying about what might happen after precautions are in place... if someone breaks into my house (have safe).. are secure as best as it can be.

The vehicle is a non-issue......

37. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    And secure and lock up firearms as well.....

NevadaBlue and Wasp like this.
  38. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't go after someone that was the original owner unless they were involved. I do think people should feel personally responsible.

Suing someone not directly involved is a slippery slope and leads to mandatory gun lock up laws. Some city, states believe you should have your gun locked up at all times until you need it, of course their laws also usually say you shouldn't go get your gun after the fact too.
    I think you should secure your firearms when not in your care, at home or in the car. Safes, lock boxes, rifle locks that secure them to the vehicle.
    I don't believe in trigger locks either, unless thats the only way you have to secure it.

I'm afraid were getting off topic... I think, but I thought the topic was a Big Gun instead of a rifle in your truck so I'm not clear. Sorry OP if we are.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Then we're on tbe same page.

Is your car red though.o_O

NevadaBlue and hunter63 like this.
  40. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Seems so, not real sure why you thought differently.

Truck is....and comes from the factory. with my own private cop in the rear view mirror.....even has 12 pens and a live eagle on his hat.
    So we just cruise around a 24 MPH looking at the sights.

NevadaBlue and Wasp like this.
  41. colrbh

colrbh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I never leave my firearm in my car.I feel it's mine and I'm responsible for it,and it's actions stolen or not.In my AO if I have no choice but to go in a no gun allowed place weigh other options..

NevadaBlue likes this.
  42. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    The whole point of the post wasn't rifle vs pistol. Of course my rifles out shoot my pistols. The point is, leaving a firearm in a vehicle is problematic. In more ways than one. My second point being if you carry something bigger than a typical compact carry gun, the rifle stashed in the car or trunk is less of a "necessity".

43. MDZNMN

MDZNMN Medicine Man Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I carry a Full Frame Sig 226 Mk 25 with a TLR-1 concealed appendix. I'm a bigger guy (5'11", 240 lbs, broader shoulders and chest), so it conceals fairly well. I try to avoid storing a firearm in my vehicle, but will carry a rifle when appropriate and afield. When I do need to store a firearm in a vehicle, I use vehicle safes (though I do recognize these are more of a deterrent than anything else).

Birdman likes this.
  44. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to conceal my 1911 full size without a problem. It just depends on your body shape and your wardrobe.

Birdman likes this.
  45. LFowler

LFowler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As a few people have alluded to, the handgun PDW is an interesting bridge in this context.

You can keep the handgun with you at all times (whether concealed or open) and keep the completely inert, legally neutral brace/conversion in the vehicle. This alleviates the moral burden of leaving a gun in the vehicle, and costs less then having a CCW and a trunk gun both. I don't know about some of the more involved conversion kits, but I can confidently say that installing an Endo stock adaptor with an arm brace takes no more time then retrieving a concealed or properly secured long arm, and while it doesn't give you any more ft/sec or lb/ft over a handgun it will give you more reliable hits and better follow up shots.

This is also relevant for someone like myself who bike commutes, or someone who uses mass transit. A conversion or adaptor could be kept in a backpack while the gun itself stays with you at all times, safe from theft or misuse.

Park Swan likes this.
  46. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back in the days before snowflakes, sissies, and gender confusion, I carried a 7 1/2” Ruger Redhawk concealed under my jacket to my college classes. I regarded campus security as an individual responsibility.

mongo, Birdman and Cwlongshot like this.
  47. jaydendyck1

jaydendyck1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im curious what kind of 22 pistol do you carry?

48. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    A Ruger LCR; 22 LR snub. Weighs next to nothing and works quite well. There is an NAA mini in my pocket all the time too.
    If I feel it necessary, the Ruger SP101 snub in 357 Mag replaces the LCR. My Judge in 45 Colt travels in my backpack when we are out overnight.

I have decided that I am going to refrain from posting in the firearms forum here. I am pretty opinionated (and to be truthful, knowledgable) about firearms and it is too easy for me to get excited about the subject. I want this forum to be a restful place for me.

49. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    What?! :11:
    You can't say you carry .22's for SD and then walk away!
    People will want to make your choice sound silly!
    :dblthumb:

NevadaBlue likes this.
  50. rattleweed

rattleweed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I lived in Nevada for ten years, and yeah, Vegas is not Nevada. Lol.

NevadaBlue likes this.