Condor Kephart - go for it?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Redneck Bear, May 14, 2018.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi,

I finally decided I may be big enough boy to get my first full-tang knife and that I should get it before I'll be an old boy (LOL). After checking the Net (mainly Youtube and Forums), I want to go with Condor Kephart.

I like how simple it is, that it has full flat grind (I tend to damage the edge of scandi blades), that it is carbon (1095 would be nicer, but what the hell), the history behind it and the affordable price - even though it's USD 70 here, so compared to 40 bucks on the US Amazon all I can say is - I hate you, North Americans!!! (not really! :D)

The only question that keeps bothering me is if I really need it. I currently use Mora Classic #1, supplemented by a Victorinox (Camper, Tourist or Farmer). I added a huge microbevel on the Mora (I sharpen it the same way I sharpen my full-flat blades) so that I don't break the edge and I use it for both food prep and bushcrafting stuff without any problems.

So - can you think about anything the Condor would really improve for me, please? I'm really trying to find a good reason to get that knife!!! :D

PS: I should've clarified I want the Condor to replace my Mora. The final pair would be Condor Kephart + Victorinox.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I say go for it I have the condor bushlore and tell you the truth I love it. And I tell you why.
    1) it easy to maintain.
    2) the price was just right under 100.00
    I think it was more around 50.00.
    3) you can bet the hell out of them and they keep on ticking.
    I believe you well lover you knife.
    Prov 27 : 17

3. Urban Whittling

Urban Whittling Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it will enable you to do more than what you already can with the Mora. I bought a Condor Bushlore a couple years back and I am not a fan. Kept it as a possible loaner but have never used it as such since when the opportunity has presented itself everyone always prefers a Mora Companion.

4. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fwiw, I like pairing a Mora classic with a Old Hickory 7 inch...one for carving, one for beating...I have the Condor Kephart and I think it would be ok for the rough use, mine just won't hold a good edge for fine work...as a all around woods knife it works good though

5. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one and love it. It is a good all rounder but it is not going to be a great rough use knife. I wouldn't baton it through oak knots but I don't do much batoning. That's what axes are for.

It's a good food prep and general use camp knife. It will skin and quarter a hog, slice cheese, tomatoes, and spread peanut butter. It will carve things needed around camp and do about everything a knife needs to do. The man who designed it also carried an axe and a folder for the jobs this knife wasn't made for.

Get it. It's a great knife. Condor makes a good sheath too.

6. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, if your having to add a big secondary to a scandi then a full flat grind will save you a bunch of sharpening time. I only have experience with a condor mini duku but it’s been a good chopper. If you like moras steel then baryonix offers a full flat ground companion and will probably ship international. Whatever it is you end up with I hope you enjoy it.

Winterhorse and Redneck Bear like this.
  7. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I should've clarified I want the Condor to replace my Mora. I don't want two fixed knives.
    The final pair would be Condor Kephart + Victorinox.

Winterhorse, savage99nc and Madwell like this.
  8. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good combo to me. Sorry I don’t have any first hand experience with the kephart but the grind sounds like it would suit you well.

Winterhorse and Redneck Bear like this.
  9. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yes, you really need it. You’re welcome. :)

JohnP

10. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    :D :D :D

backlasher, Winterhorse and JohnP like this.
  11. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how much gain you will get with the condor kephart, but the kephart is a good general purpose knife. You might consider getting the condor kephart blank and put your own handle on it.

Madwell and Winterhorse like this.
  12. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think I would throw a few more dollars at a Becker BK16. How much are they where you are?

Edited to add: This is from my own experience. I found the handle to be too small on the Kephart and the steel to be too soft to hold an edge for MY taste. Others have great experience with it.
    On the other hand the Becker BK16 is Ethan Becker's take on the venerable Kephart and the 1095 will do great at holding an edge and is an excellent companion.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Prairiewolf, Lichen, Madwell and 7 others like this.
  13. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    only YOU can truly known of it will work for you. take the gamble, try it. love it, make it your own. hate it, sell it. I tried the mora, didn't like it too much. tried esee model 3 and 4, hella love it. now to get my own soon.

Redneck Bear and Winterhorse like this.
  14. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Converted prices here in Czech Republic are - Condor Kephart (USD 70), Becker BK16 (USD 130), ESEE 3 or 4 (around USD 185). Unfortunately the US Amazon doesn't ship here and when they do it's pricey as heck. And the European (UK, German) Amazon prices are equivalent ot Czech - or higher.

Anyway, 1095 would be great, but the Becker seems to be too massive for my needs (I'll make sure to check it when I'll stop at the knife store next time though). And I would really LOVE the ESEE 4 (for quite some time now) but unfortunately all the mentioned knives (with the exception of the Condor of course) are beyond my reach.

So, thank you all for your insight! :) But I guess I'll postpone buying new knife, see what the future will bring (cash, perhaps :16:) and stay with my faithful Mora Classic #1 and Vic Climber Ecoline for now ...

bush_life.png

Holmesmade, yooper71, Madwell and 7 others like this.
  15. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stick with what you have especially if it has met your needs so far. I love my Condor Kephart as it's my all round working fixed blade WHEN I use it which is seldom as 90% 0f my sharps needs here in the Maine woods is handled with my SAK. For the money you pay for one over there I would buy some other gear you really need but don't have.

16. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Honestly I didn’t care for my Kephart. It was one of those knives I just wanted to love but couldn’t. The feel of the Kephart to me left something to be desired. I used it for processing game and usual camp tasks which it did ok but most times I would put it down and grab my mora classic 2. I ended up giving it to my brother. He uses it from time to time but I see him with his bushlore out a whole lot more.

17. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would've tried the Bushlore but as said I dislike the scandi grind. And I can say the way I sharpen my Moras (about 25 degree secondary bevel per side) just doesn't feel right to them - even if it works for me. So - one thing I really like about the Condor Kephart is the full flat grind.

Holmesmade and JohnP like this.
  18. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    OT:
    What SAK do you have, some locking one? I'm asking because I can't imagine using my non-locking Camper/Farmer/Tourist blade for most of the woods tasks, when I have a "locked" fixed blade on me. :)

Holmesmade likes this.
  19. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My SAK is the Hiker (non locking folder), I say all I need is because my state is 97% forested so I have no need of cutting/splitting/batonning fire wood or making feather sticks with any type of knife due to year round abundance of dry standing dead wood or blowdowns easily snapped to small lengths by various leverage methods plus unlimited natural tinder material such as birch/pine bark, cat tails, pine cones ect. so my 2 blades on my SAK are mainly for small game, fish, fowl processing, wood notching, pointing, cordage cutting, fish traps and food prep. The saw on my SAK is the most used item for bone dejointing, fish scaling, ferro rod striker, cutting up to 2 in. dia. tree limbs of various lengths for shelter support poles and camp furniture. I carry my Condor Kephart or sometimes my KaBar Navy Mark1 fixed blade for a back up, an imaginary scenario of needing a spear in a self defense situation if I run out of ammo and of course deer season for gutting purposes.

Holmesmade, Redneck Bear and bumma like this.
  20. PeterPNL

PeterPNL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Forget the Kephart and get a Enzo trapper with flat grind

21. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    My condor kepart is a kitchen knife

Its too small for outdoor stuff I do.

the bushlore would be better for a butchcraft knife

Holmesmade and Redneck Bear like this.
  22. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Aaaah, Hiker, brother to my Camper. :)
    Too expensive for me (at least here in CZE), ufortunately. :(

Holmesmade likes this.
  23. PeterPNL

PeterPNL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ?
    I Am in the Netherlands and I ordered direct from Brisa in Finland. You can’t get a better price, and shipping is also not that expensive.

How much do you want to spend?

24. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, as this thread was about buying or not buying the Condor Kephart, I suppose I was prepared to spend around USD 70. :D

Anyway, I was checking Czech eshops only, I didn't know the Brisa website, thank you! :) I managed to find an Enzo Trapper in O1 (https://brisa.fi/enzo-trapper-95-o1-knife-green-canvas-micarta.html) but it costs around USD 124 (excluding shipping) and is out of stock.

Thank you for the tip though! :)

PS: I'm not buying a kit for this kind of money. Don't wanna mess the <beep> up ... :D

Holmesmade likes this.
  25. ozwolf

ozwolf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I say go for it I have really liked mine and I grab it often it may be my most used general camp knife.
    I have batoned it through rough wood cut ribs made shaving and any other knife thing you can think of.
    IMG_20171003_182820381.jpg

26. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Instead of the condor kephart, you might consider a basic drop point hunting knife such as a Buckllite max or small selkirk.

27. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just curious, after going through eBay - does any of you have any information or experience with this maker? I don't care much about the edge of the blade starting so far from the handle but apart from that I like the fact it's supposed to be made from 1095 and the final price including customs fees is here the same as that of Condor Kephart ... Only problem I see is that the seller has only buyer reviews of his damascus knives so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-CUSTOM-M...ABULOUSKNIVES/232672901390?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-5-CUSTOM...109906?hash=item36256ca052:g:IpYAAOSwZaNaBJJQ

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  28. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    I say, get a BK9 instead of a condor kephart.

29. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    you could order a kephart blank from condor for maybe 10 - 15 bucks and put your own handle on it and make your own sheath. both can be rewarding experiences along with getting a very good knife design.

If you want you can look at http://www.baryonyxknife.com/ind.html for a condor. Get him to do a hand select and sharpen for it, he doesn't charge much extra and the thing will be ready to go from the moment you unwrap it. The sheath alone is worth the extra cost if you don't enjoy making your own. Not sure if he does the hand select on just the blanks, but ya can call and ask. He is a nice person to work with.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  30. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just checked the Selkirk (not the small one, but the full size) and it's a really nice knife! Thank you! :)

You're right, he really is a nice person, I've been talking with him about the Kephart already (I wasn't sure if he would be willing to send the knife to Czechia - he is :) ).

freebirdfb likes this.
  31. ozwolf

ozwolf Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's like Nike just do it :)

Redneck Bear likes this.
  32. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For an inexpensive knife, it is a lot of bang for the buck. I have beat the snot out of mine and it just keeps performing. It takes a razor edge and will stand up to just about any task put to it. I've had mine for several years and they've been used hard. I would highly recommend getting one. They are inexpensive, rugged, and customizable, plus the leather sheath is almost worth the cost of the entire rig.

Madwell, DomC, Seacapt. and 1 other person like this.
  33. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Have you checked out Lamnia.com ? If they have there shipping might be reasonable

Redneck Bear likes this.
  34. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    After reading about the different knives suggested here (thank you all! :) ) I ended up back at Condor Kephart + I've been considering Condor Nessmuk. I was looking into unmodified Czech and US Baryonyx knives and after checking the prices I decided to go see both the knives in person, buy one here and try to "finish" it by myself (probably the Kephart). Thank you all very much for this discussion and I'll try not to forget to come back with what I'll get when I'll get it ... :)

PS: Should anyone be interested, the final prices (including postage from the US and customs+service fees when applicable) are
    Kephart from CZ - USD 70
    Nessmuk from CZ - USD 73
    Kephart from US - USD 100
    Nessmuk from US (converted to FFG by Benjamin) - USD 120

35. loveandall

loveandall Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree with this. The BK16 is an incredible knife that doesn't weigh too much and can last your lifetime if you treat it well.

36. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That nessmuck converted to ffg might be a good user.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  37. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    In sure would be. :)
    Unfortunately the cost of the modded and imported Condor Nessmuk would be the same as that of the Becker BK16 which I believe would be more useful a tool. Dang import fees.

freebirdfb likes this.