Condor Nessmuk Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Michael OD, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Michael OD

Michael OD Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using this knife for a while and decided to post a review of it. So for this review I'm just going to see how it does with making a fire. I am also using a Bacho Laplander folding saw and a Vaughan mini hatchet to process fire wood.
    Nessmuk11.jpg
    So first I sawed about 5 poplar logs with the Bacho and split them into small pieces with the Vaughan.

Nessmuk.jpg
    Nessmuk2.jpg
    the nessmuk made feather sticks very easily
    Nessmuk3.jpg
    The spine was really good for scraping the inside of the poplar bark to make a birds nest and also made some good sparks off a fero rod. The edge held up very well and could still shave a little after making the feather sticks.
    Nessmuk4.jpg Nessmuk6.jpg Nessmuk7.jpg
    Nessmuk10.jpg

The sheath it comes with seams really nice and sits at a good height on my belt
    Nessmuk9.jpg
    Also don't know if any of you guys use these for kindling but the work really good even in the rain there just dead green briers.
    Nessmuk5.jpg
    So my opinion on the knife is that it's a great buy if you know how to sharpen knives as it comes fairly dull from the factory, but once you get it sharpened it holds and edge very good, the sheath is probably worth almost the price you pay for the knife, the handles are very well done I didn't notice any hot spots when carving with it.

2. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice review, thanks for sharing it.

3. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the delay... just noticed this. good review!

I have a Condor Nessmuk, and it's one of my favorite 3 knives. It's just about perfect for squirrel hunting. I like the 'weight forward' design... it was made that way for skinning, but works well to lop feets and headses off squirrels and bunnies, which is when I use it most. The blade sharpens quickly and easily, and the handle, as you said, it nice. I added some jimping to the back of the blade just where my thumb rests, more to see how it felt and for the practice doing it.

I have used it to start skinning a deer, and it was just right for the field dressing. The big fat part made not puncturing the paunch easy.

I prefer my Fallkniven WM1 for breaking down a deer though (skinning and quartering). The VG10 holds an edge longer, and you can get all the way through the job without resharpening. And I prefer a flat/scandi grind for doing wood shavings... nothing wrong with the Nessmuk. I've done it. I was just raised by a cabinet maker who had a flat grind on every tool he owned, and my muscle memory doesn't like making shavings with a convex blade. It's different, that's all.

I think it's a good knife for the money, even if you have to sharpen it or sand/reshape the handle (the guy I got it from has big hands and didn't like the handle, even after trying to sand it some.) That's actually a good thing; you make it your own that way.

btw, I like that Vaughn mini too.

DomC, MrFixIt, Michael OD and 2 others like this.
  4. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the review i have been look at that knife design.

Michael OD and MrFixIt like this.
  5. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few Condor tools, and I'm happy with them all for quality compared yo value. I dontd have this specific Condor knife. I've always eyed that Nessmuk blade though. The design seems great as a general woods knife and skinner. Thanks for your review!

Michael OD and MrFixIt like this.
  6. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had one and gave it away. The knife was very nice but the handle was too small for my hands.

GreySwampFox and Michael OD like this.
  7. GreySwampFox

GreySwampFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice review. I had one and really wanted to like it but just like MrFixIt I found the handle too small for me.

Michael OD likes this.
  8. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks good thanks for the review.
    Prov 27 : 17

Michael OD likes this.
  9. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the great review. I own one and love it.
    Like seeker I see it more as a game processing knife, but it is nice to see it has versatility.
    I'll post my Nessmuk trio at some point, because I really bought this knife based on the history of its design, and my attachment to the Adirondacks. Also, Condor does have amazing sheaths!

Michael OD likes this.