Condor quality control and customer service

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by hlydon, Jan 12, 2018.

1. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased a Pack Golok from Amazon. There was a defect in the blade. I'm not sure if it was just cosmetic or structural also. I contacted Condor. They asked that I send it to them and they would send me a new one at no charge for me. Condor paid for all shipping.

The new one had a couple areas on the blade that were poorly ground and a couple small rolls. I put it to sandpaper for a few minutes and fixed those issues. The handle on the replacement wasn't as nice as the first e.g. rivets not perfectly flush, etc.

Overall the new Pack Golok is fine. I tested it on some suckles which it destroyed with ease. I checked the blade, and there was no apparent damage, rolling, etc. to the blade. I think the replacement will do except that I will likely sand the handle.

I have other Condor blades, and this is the first that had any issue. I'm pleased that Condor promptly replaced the Pack Golok. I'm a little displeased that someone didn't hand pick a better replacement, especially given I had already received a less than good blade. No worries though. The Pack Golok will work fine.

Condor Pack Golok.jpg

Falcon45, Redwalker, MrFixIt and 11 others like this.
  2. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe that is the cream of the crop!!! More likely though they just sent a go-fer out to grab one.

MrFixIt and anrkst6973 like this.
  3. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Condor is on my do not buy list. Too many stories like this.

MrFixIt likes this.
  4. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually that reminds me of my sons story, although not knife related. A few years ago he bought a fairly expensive piston driven AR-15 from Ruger. The gun jammed constantly. He was so mad and disappointed. He sent it to Ruger, who had one of their smiths go through it. It came back with a whole grocery list of things done to improve this rifle. The gun shoots wonderful now. Probably a better gun than most coming off the line. And that sorta makes up for having to send it in the first place. They should have hand picked you a cherry one.

5. PeterPNL

PeterPNL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Something has to keep the price low...

EDIT: I like their products, and will buy one any time :dblthumb:

6. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's nice to see posts like this on the forum. I've always admired the Condor blades as an inexpensive alternative to custom blades.

The experience mentioned above isn't 'bad' by any means, just average. At least @hlydon didn't get the runaround or a stiff rejection like is so often the case.

With funds becoming scarcer these days, it sucks to spend hard earned dollars for bad products or crappy service.

Steve

7. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I sold computers so know all about dealing with warranties. In my experience a company that doesn't give you the third degree (trying to find every far fetched way you might be at fault) and covers shipping. Is trying to meet there spec, but currently suffering issues. First lesson i learned in computer sales. Don't have a favorite brand. Have a favorite model. Everyone makes a lemon now and again. Granted computers and knives are apples and rocks. But I read the service as honest intent. I should quality all the above with recognizing my own case of shiny object syndrome. I've long wanted the condor Hudson bay. LOL
    Jim

CHREBA, MrFixIt and savage99nc like this.
  8. Solphilos

Solphilos Guide

Blog Posts:
    This. I personally have found most of their products perfectly serviceable, but its best knowing going in that much of the time the tools arrive a bit rough and need work to really shine. That said, they are quite affordable considering what you get for your money and I don't mind putting in a modicum of work to get them where I like them.

9. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a similar story with Condor. A singular item of several ordered that seemed to have bad heat treat, Condor asked no questions, paid for all the shipping, and had a replacement in my hand in less than 15 days. I will happily recommend them or give them as gifts, a good product for a fair price, with actions not words in their warranty dept.

10. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  11. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a condor bushlore that I have used for about a year now and I have not had any problems with it. Prov 27 : 17 20180111_160831.jpg

12. halfmoon

halfmoon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a bushlore , kephart , pack golok , heavy duty kukri , hivernant , also a regular golok as well as the two inch bushcraft basic. Other than handles I've never had a problem , which I buy Em from a local knife shop and get to see them and fondle them before buying. I've had good and bad in all brands.

Winterhorse, MrFixIt, Faiaoga and 2 others like this.
  13. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 6 Condor knives/machetes. No issues with any of them. I've changed the profiles on both machetes. I knew they would not be high Rockwell, but I'd prefer to deal with rolls than chips. Each of my Condors came with very serviceable sheaths and were affordably priced. They are not Spydercos, Benchmades, Bark Rivers or the like. They are good workable tools. Of course I might feel differently had I experienced a major defect. OTOH at their price point…

Also in their favor they are made in a neighboring country I would love to see prosperous.

halfmoon, MrFixIt and Coryphene like this.
  14. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    They also do something few knife companies do: Listen to their customers!

The Bushlore started with a 1/4" blade thickness. More people hated it than liked it. They changed to thinner stock. They had a batch that went out with bad heat treat. If anyone found one to be the case, they replaced on their own dime. People have submitted designs they would like to see. They made them. People have asked for upgraded steel to both their 420hc and 1075. New lines in 2017 came with 1095 or 440c. These are all signs of a company that wants to succeed and do right by their customer base.

I have a Condor Woodlaw and Condor Huron. Were both perfect? Nope. Were they great for the price? Yes! They have unique designs and value function over form. The Woodlaw grind wasn't as refined as I like but I fixed that with my oil stones. The 1075 works well as it is very tough but edge holding isn't great which I would expect from 1075. The Huron feels great but the grind is a little rough. It is a half height convex which is very strong but not sharp and too thick behind the edge to dig in to wood. Making feathers is about all it is good for. I would have liked to see this in a 3/4 or full convex. The 1095 holds the edge well and it works great once I thinned it down a bit behind the edge. After I put a little work into my Condors, I really like them and feel I got more than what I paid for them.

No, they aren't Bark Rivers or LT Wright knives. But if they keep improving and listening to their customers, I see big things ahead for this company!

badglide9705, halfmoon and MrFixIt like this.
  15. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not surprising they did the right thing.

Oh, @Joezilla is a member of the forum and works with Condor.

Coryphene and halfmoon like this.
  16. MASC1104

MASC1104 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The mother of states
    I had a similar experience. Contacted Condor about the poorly heat treated bushlore I bought. They promptly got a replacement in the mail and in my hands. The blade looked used or at least banged around a bit and was all scuffed up. So i contacted back and they sent out another. It’s grind was wonky on the last 1/4 inch near the handle.

I think they try hard and want to make folks happy but i just dont think the concept of what is acceptable quality here has filtered all the way down south. Until that mentality changes, i dont think they will reach the “next level”.

17. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s what I was thinking as well. We likely are picky compared to local standards, and we probably shouldn’t be.

Winterhorse and MASC1104 like this.
  18. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    I likes my village parang. Good chopper, tomato slicer, and batoning tool

Winterhorse likes this.
  19. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a Nessmuk. Handle was a little lacking in 'fit and finish', but what do you want for $50? I actually won mine in a GAW here. It's one of my favorite knives, and the handle issue was nothing I couldn't fix myself with a little sandpaper. Great to hear they have good customer service.

Winterhorse likes this.