Cont. Ruck size question

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Duncsquatch, May 17, 2019 at 3:40 PM.

1. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The LL Bean site says fits up to a 21 inch torso... I have a long torso and shorter legs. I just measured my torso as shown on backpacking site and I measure about 24". Does this mean it will not sit right on me?

2. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    It means it will be a bit above your waist line or too low on your back (depending on strap adjustment) and may feel little too small for you and weight/carry comfort may be compromised to some degree. It also depends how you load it, hence how much sagging may occur which then could potentially bring the bottom of the pack lower and pack would sit on your waist line ao overall the pack could feel larger. You'd have to play with adjustments of the shoulder straps also. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on hiking for miles carrying a huge load. I know both midget and sasquatch size people using this pack (lile 6-7 folks, both men and women) and nobody really complained or cared enough if the fit was 100% or not. I'd say get it and enjoy it. You can always return it or trade/sell it. That's my opinion. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could express their opinion.

3. superpaco

superpaco I used to think I was really smart.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure that the torso size only matters when you add a hip belt and frame to the equasion. So if you don't plan on using the belt like most people it won't matter. Also the volume is only like 2000cu., so it is at the very beginning of what might necessitate a belt and usually not.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    MichaelBear likes this.
  4. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Superpaco is right, since this pack doesn't have a frame, it really depends on how you adjust the straps, and if you want to use the belt or not. I had the chance to play with one for a few months, and enjoyed it more as a heavy day pack or very light overnight bag than a heavy hauler. It would be perfect for summer camping where sleeping bags and such are light and in less demand.

They seem to keep their resale value, if you're willing to wait one will come up on the trade blanket or e-bay, or you can take a gamble and if it doesn't work out for you, pass it along.

MichaelBear likes this.
  5. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ordered one 20% off

MichaelBear and Harper like this.
  6. superpaco

superpaco I used to think I was really smart.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20% off an already excellent value sounds like a winner to me! What color? I think the grey is pretty snazzy.

MichaelBear likes this.