Containers from Natural Materials - Post Yours (Baskets, Bags, Sheaths etc..)

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by NWPrimate, Aug 10, 2017.

1. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any fiber that will make decently strong cord would work, I'd think. I've not messed with knotweed, but have used dogbane and raffia fiber in these bags before, with good results.

2. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    This the second basket I have ever woven! It is made entirely with natural materials I harvested myself and stone/antler tools. Willow basket with an antler toggle for a loop and toggle closure. Lid fits nicely and is tied on with a piece of cordage to act as a hinge. I used old mans beard for cordage on the carrying strap! This basket is a year or two old at this point and is still going strong! I store my firekit and other primitive tools in it and carry it to the woods with me on a regular basis. I'm outgrowing it though and need to make a new, larger version for hitting the woods with :dblthumb:
    20180612_101703.jpg

Here it is in action!
    20180331_124920.jpg

3. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very nice! :dblthumb: I like the stripes.

I'm impressed that the old man's beard cordage has held up so well, too; I'll have to try that now. I often nibble on that stuff as a little trail snack...

4. Bitterroot Native

Blog Posts:
    @OrienM thanks! The stripes are just willow that I scraped the bark off of, the white was a nice contrast to the brownish red and makes it harder to lose when set down on the forest floor lol. I was really surprised at how well the old mans beard held up too! I thought it would have crumbled into dust by now :D

Never knew it was edible! Edible cordage... theres a multi purpose item

5. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have wanted to try making a folded and stitched container for a while, and finally got around to it yesterday. I have seen several videos on this style of basket, but was probably most influenced by this one from Tom McElroy.

I picked out a black cottonwood with a nice knot-free section of bark and went to work peeling it.

[​IMG]

I ended up with a really nice sheet. This is definitely the biggest piece of bark that I have peeled and it got me thinking about a lot of other possibilities for this material.

[​IMG]

I pulled a long strip from the same tree for the cordage to stitch it up.

[​IMG]

I used the laser strike to draw out a rough football shape, and scraped off the outer bark along it to guide the folds.

[​IMG]

Once I got it to fold where I wanted, I started punching holes for the stitches.

[​IMG]

While the bark I used for sewing it is strong and was conveniently at hand, I will use roots or withies for this when I do it again. I think this bark cordage is the weak link in the basket as it could potentially take damage on the inside from the contents of the container. Roots or withes would also be easier to push through the holes, but I was able to push the strands through with a stick.

Not sure how strong it would be with one set of loops, I went back up the same side again in an x-pattern.

[​IMG]

Once it was all stitched up, it felt surprisingly durable, but a rim to reinforce the top seemed like a good idea. I have to admit to phoning this step in a bit, and cut a flimsy cedar withe and hastily attached it to the top.

[​IMG]

It isn’t nearly as pretty as others I have seen online, but I was still very pleased with how this came out.

[​IMG]

What it lacks in aesthetic beauty and build-quality, it makes up for in capacity.

[​IMG]

One minute video if you’re interested…

I am sure that I could make an even better one next time by using roots or withies for stitching and putting a stronger double rim on it. I considered reworking this one, but I think I will probably do some durability testing on it in its current form instead.

Stitching was the most tedious and nerve-racking part of the process, but none of this was particularly difficult; even for a novice like me. Even with the added time of setting the camera over and over again, it only took about two hours and fifteen minutes, which might sound like a long time, but it’s a lot quicker than weaving.

I will definitely make more of these, and be trying out different sizes and playing around with adding handles or straps.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. Bitterroot Native

Blog Posts:
    @NWPrimate NICE work! That is approaching pack basket/backpack size. Could probably rig up some shoulder straps and use it like a pack basket :D. Cedar roots work awesome for the stitching on bark and harden up really nicely almost to a plastic like consistency/rigidity.

7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  8. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure if @NWPrimate has any Cedar roots, or would know what to do with them if he could ID them. :11:

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  10. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    :) I can definitely see how that would be an improvement.

Awesome job on this by the way! :dblthumb:

Thanks buddy! :)

Nope, no cedars around here. ;)

That is really cool @NevadaBlue ! :dblthumb:

11. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  12. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40

Blog Posts:
    Tracker packing crate? :18: lol

13. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    A perfect basket for the day’s gathering. ;)

14. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    ;)

[​IMG]

15. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40

Blog Posts:
    giphy.gif

16. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A simple and impractically small pouch made from maple bark and cedar withes.

[​IMG]

I wanted to practice using split cedar withes for stitching bark, but didn’t want to go through the ordeal of making another large basket today, so I made a little envelope style pouch. It is so small that it wouldn’t hold much or have any real practical use, but it was still a fun exercise and I learned some lessons making it.

The withies worked great as they were stiff enough to punch through the holes, but still flexible enough to tie off with overhand knots.

Unfortunately as it dried, the holes I punched with the knife began to run out and combine into one big split, so even if I had a use for this little pouch, it wouldn’t have withstood any real use. The biggest lesson for me today was that I need to find a new way to punch round holes into bark instead of using the tip of my knife to make lazy slits.

The pouch itself is kind of a joke, but I learned some lessons and now feel confident in using the split withes for stitching up my next container project.

18. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Some ideas just don't hold water. I had the thought that if I wrapped bark up tightly enough into a tube before folding the bottom over that it might hold water, at least in the short term.

I recognize that if this was a viable option, I would have probably seen it somewhere before; but it was worth a shot.

[​IMG]

This might work with some pitch applied in the right places to seal it up, but the container shape itself isn't ideal, so investing the time to make glue for this design doesn't make a lot of sense.

However, this container is about as simple as it gets and might be a good option for other applications. The first thing that came to my mind was that making a shorter version to hold insects like grasshoppers, crickets, or other invertebrates that you might want to keep alive for bait or to prevent them from spoiling if you were going to eat them.

It might also be a decent option for holding bait inside of a minnow or crawfish trap. Punching holes in it would release the scent while keeping the bait from being eaten by the first visitors to the trap.

19. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40

Blog Posts:
    Make it short and add a some cordage for wearing around your neck and you got a blow dart quiver.

20. Bitterroot Native

Blog Posts:
    Cool pouch! I got a good laugh out of you chucking it into the creek lol! It was small but not impractically so. Would be good for holding small stone flakes, pieces of antler, tinder, ect. All sorts of uses!

Best way to punch holes (round ones) in bark that I have found is using a piece of antler as an awl. The cone shape of the tip allows for perfect circular holes and its really easy to get them to the size you need. Punch it in then use a twisting motion to kind of bore it out. Never had any split on me.

21. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Another one-minute berry basket turned bundle; with a natural tag to let my son know what's waiting inside for him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  22. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have been having a lot of fun working with fresh bark, but am aware that it will not be very easy to harvest for much longer; so I wanted to see if I could fashion a usable gathering container from dead bark. It was no problem at all to get a nice semi-circular section of bark from a dead hemlock, but when compared with fresh peeled living bark, it was obviously very brittle.

[​IMG]

For reinforcement I wrapped it up with some trailing blackberry vines and used them to cap the ends and make a carrying strap.

[​IMG]

While working on this I realized that this might be an easy solution for a crawfish/minnow trap by simply leaving it round and adding a funnel or a @field-expedient style ramp to one end. A project for another day perhaps. :)

The whole thing ended up being a lot sturdier than I expected. Adding leaves keeps the rotten bark off of whatever you might be gathering, and keeps things from falling through the holes in the end. For testing purposes, I filled it up with rocks, gravel, and sand before tossing it to simulate a dropped basket, and it held up great with only a small crack.

I didn't get a good shot of it, but the two woven caps are secured together underneath the basket to make sure that they don't come loose and fall off. The entire vine portion could probably be refitted to a new piece of bark without too much trouble if necessary. It would be easy to add a couple of leaves and vines to close it up to travel with once you fill it with whatever you gathered. The whole project only took about forty minutes and the materials are available year round, with only deep snow being the exception, but I imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to use cedar withes as a substitute if the vines were inaccessible.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  23. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Multi-chambered canteen made from Japanese knotweed.

[​IMG]

Because the individual tubes don’t hold much water on their own, I bundled four of them together which held a total of 27 fluid ounces or .79 liters. The tubes themselves were completely waterproof and I made stoppers for them that fit like corks into the top.

[​IMG]

One tube ended up splitting up top, so it would slowly trickle out if held upside-down but the others were completely water tight.I carried this water bundle over my shoulder using a big leaf maple bark sling for over a mile through the woods and didn’t lose any water in the process. I tasted the water and the knotweed didn’t seem to impart any flavor to it Once we get some rain to diminish the fire danger, I will see if I am able to boil water in these.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    M.Hatfield, D.K, Brook Trout and 7 others like this.
  24. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  25. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone make a char box from bamboo?

26. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  27. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181030_124645.jpg
    Today's basket creation!! Used the same little green wetland plants..

28. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Beauty I so wanna find some green material for this

29. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My first go at a bamboo container.
    IMG_20190115_183515.jpg
    I went for simple.. cut a short piece and left the node. I got some super thick leather for Christmas and wanted to try it for a stopper. I still think I'll make another with a wooden stopper.
    IMG_20190115_183821.jpg
    Holds 2 sail needles with plenty of room for others. Going to turn this into my sewing kit for my nessmuk-esk kit I been working on. Learning something new everyday

30. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20190115_190657.jpg
    Still might carve a wooden stopper.. gave it a artificial sinew wrap, for looks and to sew with

31. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  32. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Way to remind me @NWPrimate ...

Nice burn bowl!

Brook Trout, NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.
  33. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I figured out how to do a birch bark kuksa some years ago :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a short vid of how to make it:

34. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Easter is coming. Small scale practice with split cedar roots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Guide Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well look at that... :)

36. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    :)

37. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone heard of the tinder horn?

38. D.K

D.K Scout

Blog Posts:
    How did I knot know this thread exists!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. D.K

D.K Scout

Blog Posts:
    And if sheaths are containers too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWPrimate, rsnurkle, OrienM and 2 others like this.
  40. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It took several failed attempts, but I eventually ended up with a functional woven willow basket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. Carver 83

Carver 83 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Birch bark is durable and easy to work with. It is a very special tree.

42. D.K

D.K Scout

Blog Posts:
    A needle case pulling double duty as a toggle, and two spice bottles.

[​IMG]

43. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  44. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:

But Grandmother, what big teeth you have!

45. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I didnt get to make one but my wife did.
    20190413_113426.jpg
    With Carleigh Fairchild from the Alone show. They had a good time, was cool

rsnurkle and CivilizationDropout like this.