1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Continued Knife Build

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Younghunter3030, May 16, 2017.

1. Younghunter3030

Younghunter3030 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is the continued knife build from my other post about a question.
    Gonna post a new thread so more people can see my trial and error project.
    Old post: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/knife-making-question.197154/

New pics:
    IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0897.JPG
    I used my Grandpaps electric hacksaw, a bench grinder, and a cup of water. (Will get better pics and more details later) Then I took a stick of maple and drilled a hole in it as a crude handle.
    The one above the hidden tang is a putty knife I made into a Bushcraft knife.
    IMG_0899.JPG
    Took my design to a bench grinder the took a file and put thumb grooves and a small incision. Dad put a bevel on for me too.

As for the hidden tang I'll be posting more pics. Tomorrow after school I'll clean it up on the belt sander. Want a cherry handle for it. If cherry I'll put som leather and some of those spacers. Red blue or green would be nice.
    Thanks to all and God Bless,
    Noah

Likes, Comments, Thoughts, Advice Greatly Appreciated:D:p

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Hoof, Holmesmade, chekmate and 11 others like this.
  2. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thise carbon steel putty knife are great for turning into actual knives. I need to find more of them as they are a pretty cheap way to get started. Too bad you can't fin them new very easily. They're all stainless or partial tang. Looking good though, hang onto them for sure. One day you may decide they need to go another direction and you will have a great starting place for a future project if you want.

20170417_171125.jpg
    The knife on the bottom started out as a putty knife, then I hacked it up, used and abused it for a while, forgot about it for years, then rediscovered it and decided to breath new life into it.

20170514_185936.jpg

Enjoy your works and keep at it. Its always rewarding!

Holmesmade, MrFixIt, pab1 and 4 others like this.
  3. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I work in a prison, and those knives look like a bad day for someone.

4. Younghunter3030

Younghunter3030 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I just got finished with the belt sander. I cleaned up the edges and fixed the tang.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Decided to put a forced patina. Did some research on it on YouTube and found this:

I ran into some trouble though...:33:
    •I don't know how to put a bevel on a blank?
    • Do I quench and heat treat before I put bevels on?

Thanks for watching and the help guys and gals:D

5. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some nice work young fellar. joe

6. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm no expert but from what I have read, grind the bevels first. Its a lot of steel to take off so doing the levels before you heat treat will be easier and will keep your belts sharper longer.

MrFixIt and Younghunter3030 like this.
  7. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you can, try not to grind them much thinner than a dime. Then do your temper and heat treat. When you start putting your final edge, I'm assuming you will be using the belt grinder, don't wear gloves. The steel will let your hands know pretty quick when it is getting too warm and needs to be cooled off in a water bath. I understand that realistically the average person cannot stand much more than about 120 degrees without being uncomfortable, and that 120 degrees will probably not mess with the temper of most knives-which are usually heat treated in the 300-400 degree range. I think that it has always just been a standing practice. Good luck.

8. Younghunter3030

Younghunter3030 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Did some more research and found out a bevel jig to make!
    The person that did the video cannot be said on the site.
    I'll have my dad help me out on the bevels though because he is very good with this kinda stuff.
    Thanks to the people who posted!:D
    I'm enjoying this and also enjoying yins guys thoughts and opinions.
    Could yins post some of your hidden tang knives so I can get some handle ideas?!?
    Definitely want to use cherry and scorch it. May put some leather and a steel guard.
    Hope yins like this:D
    NOAH

boisdarc, MrFixIt and chekmate like this.
  9. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    T.Pollock has a bevel jig build on his knife build-along. I can't find the link but it is broken down into several pictures.

Younghunter3030 likes this.